Ellerman ship photos

baileybloke
27th June 2007, 07:05
Hi, I have been building an Ellerman ship database for the past few years and have over 2300 pictures of Ellerman ships including Wilson, Bucknall, Papayanni, City, ACT ect. These date from the 1870's to the 1980's.
If anyone is looking for a photo of their old ship, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy free of charge. Since I have collected these from a vast variety of sources I have no idea who owns copyright to most of them so I would ask that you respect this and only use them for your own private use.
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.

Motorman
3rd July 2007, 04:47
Hello
Do you have any of the City of Canterbury (the last one) I was on her around 75
Thanks

baileybloke
3rd July 2007, 18:27
Hi, I assume that since you mention 1975 that you are referring to the 1964 Canterbury and not the 1976 vessel. Just to be safe I've included a couple of pictures of both. Kind regards, Ian

Motorman
4th July 2007, 05:49
Thanks Ian
It was the 76 one, I must go back and check my discharge book, the mind is starting to go

christopher.ryan1
4th July 2007, 17:15
hi,
do you have any pictures of the Rapallo, and the Mediteranian, she was later named the Fenchurch and the City of Istanbul.i was on both of these in the 70s great ships.
Many Thanks.

baileybloke
4th July 2007, 21:44
Hi Chris, thanks for your enquiry. Here are the ships you requested. Good ships, good times, good luck. Ian Bailey

blobbybluey
4th July 2007, 23:04
do you have any of the later contaner boats i have one of the city of manchester, but need the lisbon and the liverpool star i was on them 85-87(Thumb)

christopher.ryan1
5th July 2007, 08:05
Many thanks Ian great pictures,spoke to a shipmate last night told him about your site, he said would you have a pic of the Sangro and Serento, i think they were wilsons, but not sure.Once again many thanks.
Chris Ryan.

Chouan
5th July 2007, 08:45
I did a coast as acting 3/0 on the Istanbul in about '76. They were desperate (obviously) and got me from the Wellington, where I was senior cadet. When the proper 3/0 turned up, I went back to the Wellington as cadet again, curses! I thought that it was my chance of early promotion! And, the junior cadet on the Wellington had done a runner, with some of my stuff as well!

baileybloke
6th July 2007, 09:02
Hi Chouan, I think it was actually my promotion to 3/O that caused the downfall of the Ellerman empire. They had a successful shipping business and then I turned up in 1971. By the time they realized and managed to get shot of me in 1976, the rot had set in. So all you ex-Ellerman guys out there can blame me for being laid off!!!!!

terry8541
6th July 2007, 21:03
Hi, I have been building an Ellerman ship database for the past few years and have over 2300 pictures of Ellerman ships including Wilson, Bucknall, Papayanni, City, ACT ect. These date from the 1870's to the 1980's.
If anyone is looking for a photo of their old ship, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy free of charge. Since I have collected these from a vast variety of sources I have no idea who owns copyright to most of them so I would ask that you respect this and only use them for your own private use.
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.
Hi, I have tried for years to get a photo of the Livorno, I spent most of my time as a Cadet on her from 1957, If you have one it would be great, cheers Terry

jimmyc
6th July 2007, 22:06
My Father was torpedoed 10/10/1942 Rms Duchess of Atholl
the rescue vessel was HMS Corinthian a former Ellerman Lines
Ocean Boarding Vessel rescued 821 survivors

jimmyc
7th July 2007, 09:33
Thanks Ian

I wonder what she looked like as
Armed Merchant Cruiser
HMS Corinthian F 103
Cdr E.J.R. Pollitt

Great pictures when she was built
got some from Teeside site
with sister ship Ionian

grampsyman
7th July 2007, 20:43
Hi Baileybloke I've never been able to get a decent photo of my first ship the old City Of Lyons, I believe she was the only time they ever used that name, Here's hoping in advance, kind Regards Alan

grampsyman
8th July 2007, 10:14
Many thanks Ian, great to see those views of the old lady again, I,ll bet shipowners nowadays wish they could get the length of service that Ellermans got out of her. Once again many many thanks for your kindness in sharing yor photos with us Kindest Regards Alan Henderson

AlanC
13th July 2007, 15:00
Hi Ian,
I wonder if you have a picture of the Scicilian my first ship, joined her in London after leaving the Vindi.

Many thanks,

Alan

AlanC
16th July 2007, 17:25
Thanks Ian
Been looking for a picture of the old ship for years,new to this site its great.
I went to the Vindi in 1959 she was my first and only ship. I still go to the Vindi reunion each year and am a member of the "Severn Area Branch" of the Vindicatrix association. Trying to build a "Web Site" for the branch!!slow process.
Many thanks again.

Alan

Baltic Wal
19th July 2007, 19:39

I have great concern regarding this item. I am fully aware that Baileybloke is doing it for the benefit of members with no gain to him, however there must be a major breach of copyright laws. He didn't take the photographs, therefore some will have been scanned from his collection of original and others downloaded from websites. If the photos were scanned then over 50% will have the copyright on the back and this should be noted, if they were taken from a publication then beware, if the photos were taken from another site then does he have there permision to use them. Once they appear on a website without a copyright then other people will use them without any idea of the original source of the photo's.

I have a collection of over 2,000 photo's that I feel unable to publish them as I know where the copyright is, yet I see many of them produced on this and other sites. I have admired Ellerman's and although I do not have 1,000s I do recognise some of these displayed, and I know who has the copyright.

This is not an attack on Baileybloke, as it is good to be able to get a photograph of a ship sailed on by a relative, it is a warning for us all, just a case of be careful of what is shown.

david fitzpatrick
19th July 2007, 19:54
I have been trying for quite some time to obtain a photo of my first ship the City of Calcutta without much luck, maybe there is not that much interest in her as she was a right work house, the only picture I have is an origina water colour of her at the Mersey bar dropping the pilot. I would be most grateful if you could help in this matter,many thanks.
Regards Dave Fitzpatrick ex junior eng

baileybloke
20th July 2007, 02:03
Hi Baltic Wal, Thanks for the 'heads -up' regarding copyright. I have to be honest and say that I really don't know what the answer is. I was under the impression that there was not a problem if the photos were not used for financial gain which was why I ask people to respect this and only use them for there own private use. These photos are freely available to all on the internet and all I have done is pool these images and sort them into some kind of order. I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows exactly where we stand. If it turns out that I can't do this then I will have to ask the SN moderators to remove this thread. Thanks again, Ian

Baltic Wal
20th July 2007, 14:10
Ian, I agree with your thoughts and apparently the rules vary from country to coutry. Even the Moderators are confused as the subject has been covered many times.

I feel that we just have to be aware then act, as you are, to the best of our understanding and ability. Just be aware that some photo are easily identifiable from their source, for example the Fielden collection.

ian

bluenoser
22nd September 2007, 06:31
Hello ;
I'm looking for a picture of the Ellerman line ship City of Vienna id# 1135577 launched 17 march 1914 built by Workman Clark Belfast. This ship was wrecked in 1918 outside Halifax Harbour Nova Scotia and is now a popular dive site . If you are interested I can provide you with some underwater pictures of what is now left of this vessel .
Thank you bluenoser

John Gurton
22nd September 2007, 18:08
Hi Ian, Was it you on the City of Dundee in December 1974? If so I have some slides of that voyage. You as King Neptune's daughter complete with a necklace of beer can ring-pulls amongst them. I was 2/0 then, great trip, my last with Ellermans! Rgds John

baileybloke
4th October 2007, 00:04
Hi John, Yes thats me. I knew some embarrasing photos would surface sooner or later. You are right, they were good times. Great to hear from you.

Chouan
4th October 2007, 22:42
baileybloke, and John, I'll have had a drink with you on the Dundee then, in a general sense; I was on the Auckland as deck cadet from September '74 to Feb '75, and I, and others from the Auckland, visited the Dundee, in either Mombasa or Dar es Salaam during that time. We were on the E.African coast for most of late November and December, returning to the UK from Mombasa in January '75.

baileybloke
4th October 2007, 23:07
Hi Chouan, I reckon it was Mombassa since I never got to Dar es Salaam.
It wasn't you that left without paying for your round was it? I did a couple of trips on the 'Auckland, deck cadet from July to October 1972 and 3/O from December 1975 to February 1976 where they chucked me off in Las Palmas to spend a few weeks in hospital in intensive care. Happy days.

John Gurton
5th October 2007, 18:01
Chouan,
It must have been Mombasa, called in there before Karachi. I remember a night up the Kilindini Rd, Sunshine Day and Night club followed by the Casablanca on the stagger back, with Hobbsy (lecky). Struggling to get my scanner working on Vista otherwise the pic would have been posted !!
Rgds
John

Chouan
5th October 2007, 22:43
It must have been Mombasa. I would have been the witty, stylish handsome one with a full head of hair. Now I'm just witty. I think.
Look at the gallery, you'll see a picture of the Dundee that I took from the Auckland.
Regards,
Peter

Citystalbans
10th October 2007, 00:40
Hello baileybloke,
Before you stop ,any chance of a nice Colour photo of the City of Newcastle in service around i975, 76.
Thank you

Motorman
16th October 2007, 01:15
John, were you on the Canterbury between June and December 78, your name is familiar so I guess it was Ellermans or maybe Buries Markes later

John Gurton
21st October 2007, 15:42
Motorman,
I left Ellermans in 75. Must have been Buries Markes, was there from 81 till 89. ended up as Capt. before joining Medway Pilots. Any clearer?? rgds

AlexBooth
28th October 2007, 13:44
Chouan,
It must have been Mombasa, called in there before Karachi. I remember a night up the Kilindini Rd, Sunshine Day and Night club followed by the Casablanca on the stagger back, with Hobbsy (lecky). Struggling to get my scanner working on Vista otherwise the pic would have been posted !!
Rgds
John

What Ellerman East Africa's 'Anchor Bar' was/is no more ?

Bob Baird
9th December 2007, 21:03
Hi,
I wonder if you can help with a picture of the Ellerman's Wilson steamship FINLAND, which was built by Earle's of Hull in 1884. She was sunk in a collision off Orkney in 1917, but the wreck was only found this year.

Thanks in anticipation,
Bob Baird

manolito_1
15th December 2007, 11:28
Hi. I was 'leccy' 0n City of Ripon 1969-1970 City Liverpool 1973 any photo's would be appreciated.
Best wishes for xmas & new year Malcolm (Bennington)

ken bolton
14th February 2008, 20:53
HI Bailybloke do you have any photo's of the venetian I was EDH on her in 63 also the city of hartlepool regards ken

TSJ59
17th February 2008, 13:56
Hello - I was wondering if you have a photo of Tycho in your collection?

From Disasters at Sea:(I think Ellermarfs is a typo.)
TYCHO
Ellermarfs Wilson Line; 1904; EarlessS.B.&E. Co.; 3,216 tons;
335x47x22-9; 189 n.h.p.; 9 knots; triple-expansion engines. The
steamship Tycho was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine
16 miles W. i S. of Beachy Head on May 20th, 1917. The captain
and 14 others were killed.

Cheers, Terry

coley
21st February 2008, 12:33
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution. Ian, please PM me to exchange emails later regards coley

coley
21st February 2008, 12:37
i joined city of newcastle in 1967 as junior engineer and had my 21st birthday on her in Karachi in 1968

mikematthews
23rd February 2008, 16:19
Do you have the Wilsons Spero from 1922 and the Angelo from 1940s please

Chris Field
23rd February 2008, 17:53
Many thanks for your offer, baileybloke.
I would dearly love to have decent pix of the three City boats in which I served my apprenticeship 1952-55:

Colchester (ex Samlea, liberty ship)
Edinburgh - 4 passsenger, fast . built 1937?
London- 12 passenger, built 1947

Thanks in advance

Chris Field

roy quirk
24th February 2008, 00:49
Hi, The first ship I worked on as an apprentice fitter, was the City of Agra in Liverpool in 1951. I would appreciate a photo of her,she was a turbine ship with a huge engine room.
Many thanks,
Roy.

esaelk
10th April 2008, 15:00
Hi bailebloke, I'm not sure if this is of interest to you but I remember collecting callenders in the early sixties (I think) that were put out by the Ellerman line. Each month was accompanied by a painting of one of their ships and some were very evocative.

Cheers, Bill

baileybloke
12th April 2008, 19:03
Hi Bill, thanks for getting in touch. I notice from your profile that you are an artist which explains your interest in the calendars. I have seen some of these in the past and you are quite right, they are evocative and definitely conjure up the magic of those grand old ships. My collection of photos is simply an attempt to rekindle some of the atmosphere of a very exciting part of my life. We can all dream. All the best, Ian

RO Vintage
12th April 2008, 22:39
Hi.
Just Hit Your Tred, Nice To See City Line Mentioned. I Did Two Trips On
The City Of Lichfield In The 1970s Great Trips, Would Appreciate Any Photos

The Names Are fading Of The Lads I Sailed With, Still Happy Memories
Thanks

RO Vintage( Ex marconi)

baileybloke
13th April 2008, 03:25
Snap. I was 3/O on the 'Lichfield in the 70's. I'll dig out my discharge book and check out some dates. I might even come up with a few names for you. I'll get back to you in the next couple of days. I'll PM you to save tying up this thread. Leave it with me. Cheers, Ian.

RO Vintage
13th April 2008, 20:36
Hi Ian.

Thanks Your Msg Nice To Talk With You, You Are Welcome Anytime To Hit Me
With Photos.
Rgds

RO Vintage George Savage

harvey19a
13th April 2008, 23:33
Ian,
Got one or two pics myself which I can send you when next on leave - the C o York (expect yopu've got loads already) and my first ship the C o Poona (although I suspect it's in Ben Line colours, as we were sold halfway through the trip and became Benarkle).
Vague memory of being 2/O on the Lichfield in 73 or 74 - must look back in my book. O/M was Davey Anderson, a nice guy from Belfast.
Harvey

RO Vintage
10th May 2008, 01:15
Hello Ian

Just Wondering About Photo "City Of Lichfield" Had Message From You A Few
Weeks Ago. Is There A Problem Sending Your Photo"s A Lot Of Threads About
Photo"s? Will Leave It With You Any Time Will Do
Thanks

RO Vintage (Ex Marconi)

baileybloke
13th May 2008, 04:11
Hi everyone, sorry I've been a bit elusive just lately but as some of you will know, I lost my broadband connection at home and then I bought a new router on e-bay and that only lasted one night. Anyway, I've got it sorted now so apologies to anyone who has been awaiting a reply. I will try to catch up with all my mail over the next few days and I promise, if you've contacted me recently, I will get back to you.
Ian

jimmy 1948
24th August 2008, 19:21
Please send me a PM

jimmy 1948
24th August 2008, 19:25
hi baily,i am try to get photo of the mv catanian iwas in this ship in 1962 can you help

tom roberts
24th August 2008, 19:47
Sailed on the Anglian two trips as sos 28 6 56 to22 9 56 4 on 4 off kept a watch as well as doing the peggies work knackered all the time,6 week trips around the Medi,Capt was S.M.THRELBELD I think ive got his name right left her to get my e.d.h. Did a round the land job on the City of Khartoum 24 3 59had my 21st on her in Tylbury dock Indian cooks worst curry makers ive ever come across,night of my 21st had ten bob in my pocket but thanks to a lovely lady I never even spent that, where ever she is God bless her.

brian111247
24th August 2008, 20:01
Hello there,

I still have small sized photographs I took with a Brownie 127 of the City of Lyons lying in the breakers-yard at Bo'ness. This nust have been round-about 1959-1960. Soon as I get my hands on a scanner I'll get them to you. Good luck with your mission.

brian111247
24th August 2008, 20:05
I mentioned to baileybloke, I've got a couple of photos of the City of Lyons lying at P & W McLellands shipbreaking yard at Bo'ness shortly after she was beached there. Hoping to get those and the rest of my photographs on-site once I get my hands on a scanner. Cheers.

baileybloke
26th August 2008, 09:16
Thanks for all the recent messages and requests for photos. I will contact everyone individually at the weekend. Until then.

Wassenaar
7th September 2008, 11:27
Here ya'go, Bailey, a test for you:

City of Toronto (1973 - 29 derricks!)
City of Canterbury (Fridge ship)
City of Worcester
Dilkara
City of Genoa
City of Montreal
City of St. Albans
City of Glasgow
City Of Auckland
City of Winchester (1977)
City of York

I can't decide whether it's a sad bunch or, compared to a cadet starting today, some good reasons to stay at sea for a career.

baileybloke
11th September 2008, 07:30
No problem Wassenaar. I'll PM you at the weekend. I did a Canada/India run on the Toronto as deck cadet and a couple of stints on the Auckland as cadet and third mate. Good times on the Auckland when Commodore Tommy Rigg got married to Beth. Always remember Amazing Grace blaring out of the ships speakers as we sailed from Durban. Catch you soon.

Chouan
11th September 2008, 14:07
I heard that story about "Amazing Grace", but had forgotten it. I'm glad that it was true. I loved the Auckland, my favourite ship of all, I think.

Sea Sprite
8th November 2008, 14:44
Hi baileybloke, I am really hoping you can help me out, my dad was with Ellermans way back in the day (1955-70ish) and I have heard many of his stories about life on the seas. I am hoping you may have a picture (s) of some of the ships that he has sailed on these being the C o Hereford, Ottowa and Sydney. this is a bit of a shot in the dark and I'm sorry that i don't know anything more specific about these vessels. Also if you or any of the other members can assist me in locating info / copies of ships crew lists, route logs (again i'm afriad i don't know the proper terminology for these things- forgive me) ect I would be eternally grateful. I lookforward to hearing from you in due course and thanks in anticipation.

K urgess
8th November 2008, 14:52
Welcome aboard Sea Sprite.
A search of the gallery might find some of the ships you're looking for or look at the Allen Collection here -
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/
Enjoy the voyage.

baileybloke
9th November 2008, 20:25
Hi Sea Sprite, welcome to SN. I can help you on both counts and I have PM'd you. Good to hear from you. Baileybloke

donald h
9th November 2008, 21:10
Hello Baileybloke, my Dad was sunk on the City of Athens 8th Oct 1942 (see photos on site), and was on the City of Corinth when she was torpedoed five weeks later on the 17th Nov 1942. A photo of both would be very much appreciated if you have any.

jimmyc
11th November 2008, 11:12
Welcome aboard Sea Sprite.
A search of the gallery might find some of the ships you're looking for or look at the Allen Collection here -
http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/
Enjoy the voyage.

Hugh Thanks Marconi Sahib

Big Thanks Allen Collection

found great Photo of my Dad's rescue ship Corinthian

baileybloke
9th December 2008, 15:16
I know this is cheating but can I just say thank you to all those of you who have sent your best wishes. I suffered a minor stroke and am off work for a little while but I am alive and kicking and a whole lot better than I was. Glad to be here. Happy Christmas shipmates, Baileybloke.

nigelcollett
9th December 2008, 16:09
Hi Baileybloke

I have just come across your thread and sorry to hear about your misfortune but just to give you confidence, I had a Heart attack 15 years ago and there definately is "Life after" as long as you think positively. Don't let the Bar Stewards wear you down.

I am also writing with the forlorn hope that you have pics of a couple of early Wilson ships. The are as follows:

Truro (2) 974grt/1922
Torpedo 418grt/1885

Thanks in advance

NigelC

baileybloke
9th December 2008, 17:31
Hi Nigel, thanks for the good news. I am making good progress thanks. I think I can help you on both counts. I will check my database on my laptop and get back to you. Cheers, Ian

baileybloke
9th December 2008, 17:51
Nigel, my brain is obviously still playing up. The answer is no on both fronts. I think this is the first time I have totally let someone down. Sorry to fail you. Ian

Ron Stringer
9th December 2008, 18:52
Ian,

Am very sorry to hear of your problems but glad to hear that you are making a recovery. Unfortunately progress is often slow in such cases but you will continue to improve if you look after yourself. I'm afraid all-night lock-ins at the pub are a thing of the past for you!

Good luck

nigelcollett
9th December 2008, 19:16
Hi Ian

Thanks for looking but I must say it was a long shot, you have to try every avenue though.

Hope you soon improve

Regards

Nigel

jimmyc
10th December 2008, 06:37
I know this is cheating but can I just say thank you to all those of you who have sent your best wishes. I suffered a minor stroke and am off work for a little while but I am alive and kicking and a whole lot better than I was. Glad to be here. Happy Christmas shipmates, Baileybloke.

Baileybloke if this is cheating
you are well worth it
wish you all the best
SHIPMATE
ALL THE BEST MAY YOU HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS

AlexBooth
10th December 2008, 07:05
Baileybloke,
I had been wondering about your recent absence.
My best wishes to you on your recouprestion and a very merry christmas back at you.
Cheers
Alex

DCR
14th December 2008, 17:03
Hello Baileybloke,
I was a Nav Cadet with Ellermans from 1973 to 1975. I was on four ships, the Oxford, Glasgow, Canberra and Toronto. I would be most grateful if you could supply photos of any of these ships but especially the City of Toronto with her maple leaf Canadian Line funnell livery. I have only ever seen a photo of her with the black, white and buff colours.
All the best and a Merry Xmas
Dave Reynolds

baileybloke
15th December 2008, 23:22
Hi Dave, I was a Nav Cadet on the 'Toronto from November 1972 to April 1973 on a CIP run and Third Mate very briefly on the 'Canberra in May 1974. The Toronto with her maple leaf livery is a rare sight but I will check out my database to see what I have. I've checked a couple of relevant Disposition of Sea-going Personnel and I have you showing as being on leave as at 5th August 1974 and at Glasgow College of Nautical Studies as at 7th February 1975. I'll get back to you. All the best, Ian

AlexBooth
16th December 2008, 06:45
Hey guys,

I too sailed on her under the. 'Teredactyls footprint', Include me in the distribution list too please. If you find one.

Tks muchly,
Cheers
Alex

baileybloke
16th December 2008, 21:43
Alex, I've just noticed you sailed with Chris Witt on the 'Bedford in December 71. Chris and I were at Plymouth School of Nav just a few months earlier along with Alan Smith. Chris kindly volunteered the information to my Mum and Dad that I had started smoking despite me threatening him with blue murder beforehand. It was good to know who your mates were!!!!

AlexBooth
17th December 2008, 00:50
If Chris Witt was the 1st trip Cadet and you want retribution, mail me and I'll give you all the gory details - starts in Walvis bay . . . . and ended abruptly in Durban.

By way of curiosity how did you ascertain that
I was on that voyage ?
Cheers

Alex

DCR
17th December 2008, 13:24
Cheers Ian,
Thanks for having a look in your database. By the way the dates you quote are bang on. I am fascinated, the Disposition of Sea-going Personnel, is that something you have on hard copy or can it be accessed online?
Ta
Dave

baileybloke
17th December 2008, 16:48
For those of you who had forgotten, the Disposition of Sea-going Personnel used to appear in the middle of the company magazine, Ellermans, On Shore and Afloat. Being the person I am, I've accumulated a number of these magazines over the years and occasionally I use them for either reference or just being nosey. It listed all Ellerman ships including Papayannis, ACT and Dilkara etc., who was serving as what rank and who was on leave or study leave etc. I've never seen this information on-line unless anyone out there knows differently.

Chouan
18th December 2008, 10:57
Any chance of scanning a few pages and putting them in the gallery?

DCR
18th December 2008, 13:03
Hi Ian,
I'm with 'Chouan' on this one. Any chance of seeing them?
Dave

Fergus 62
18th December 2008, 14:12
Ian

What year do your lists go back to ?

Regards

Ronnie

mr marconi
18th December 2008, 16:38
hello Baileybloke I would appreciate any photos of the city of ripon I sailed as r/o 1975 /1976

Regards Adrian.

mike scanlan
19th December 2008, 11:13
Hi,
I sailed on the City of York 1979
City of Gloucester 1979
City of Liverpool 1980
If you have any photos of these ships it would be great to get them.
Thanks,
Mike Scanlan

K urgess
19th December 2008, 12:04
Welcome to the crew, Mike.
A quick search of the gallery will reveal a few pictures of the ships you're looking for.
Have a good trip.

baileybloke
19th December 2008, 19:35
I will try to answer 5 messages in one.
Chouan and DCR - Yes, I will see what I can do to post them on SN.
Fergus62 - March '69 to Feb '75 with some omissions here and there - try me.
Mr Marconi - No problem, I'll be in touch.
Mike Scanlon - Welcome to SN - As Marconi Sahib points out, try this gallery but I will be in touch nevertheless. How did I do?

Fergus 62
20th December 2008, 08:38
Ian
As the saying goes "The boy did well !!"

Thanks, but your crew lists are after the date I was looking for but would be interested if you could scan City of Bedford and City of Glasgow from the earliest dates available.

Thanks

Fergus 62

baileybloke
20th December 2008, 19:45
Fergus 62, As soon as I go back to work in two weeks time, I will scan those for you and see that you get them.

Cheers, Ian

Fergus 62
21st December 2008, 13:41
Cheers Ian
Trust your health continues to improve, have a Happy and Healthy Christmas and New Year

Ronnie

AlexBooth
30th December 2008, 02:41
Ian, would you please check your
" Disposition of Sea-going Personnel" listings for the C.O Toronto for
1975, who was the Capt? I think it was Bill (slash)Hartley
This is to respond to Fergus on another thead.
Tks Muchly
Cheers _& happy new year.
Alex

baileybloke
31st December 2008, 18:28
Alex, I only have listing as at 7th February 1975 and this shows Captain D D Turner as skipper of the 'Toronto. Happy new year to you. Ian

AlexBooth
1st January 2009, 00:47
Right ! Duncan Turner - Tks Ian.

Fergus, did you get that ?

Cheers
Alex

Fergus 62
1st January 2009, 08:40
Alex
Thanks for that, name means nothing to me.

Happy New Year to you (Thumb)

Regards
Fergus 62

doctor ken
26th January 2009, 07:24

Does anyone have any photos/crew details of my fathers ships City of Brisbane build April 1918 lost off Newhaven August 1918 or of the Branksome Hall believed mined off Genoa in 1917.

non descript
26th January 2009, 08:02
Does anyone have any photos/crew details of my fathers ships City of Brisbane build April 1918 lost off Newhaven August 1918 or of the Branksome Hall believed mined off Genoa in 1917.

Ken, on the occasion of your first posting - thank you for joining and welcome to the Site. (Thumb)

baileybloke
28th January 2009, 19:11
doctor ken, welcome to Ships Nostalgia. Here's hoping you have many years of happy reminiscing ahead of you. If you give me until the weekend, I will check my database for you and get back to you. All the best, Baileybloke.

malc
12th February 2009, 21:27
hi bailybloke,
do you have any photo's of rapallo and city of ely, i would greatly appreciate copies if you have them i sailed on these ships in the mid sixties and often wondered what happened to them
thanks in advance
malc simmons

baileybloke
13th February 2009, 07:20
Hi malc,
Yes, I can help you out. The memory is fantastic really. We tend to forget about the downside but how well we remember the good times. Once you get the sea in your blood, it never leaves. I'll get on to this one for you. All the best, Baileybloke

malc
3rd March 2009, 23:53
thanks Baileybloke i really appreciate it
thanks
Malc

jimmyc
4th March 2009, 08:54
Hi malc,
Yes, I can help you out. The memory is fantastic really. We tend to forget about the downside but how well we remember the good times. Once you get the sea in your blood, it never leaves. I'll get on to this one for you. All the best, Baileybloke

Too true Mate
even in the Grey Funnel Line
we remember the good times

"The wonder is always new that any sane man can be a sailor".
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

jimg0nxx
14th March 2009, 13:10
Hi Ian,
I was R/O in City of Birkenhead on the MANZ Run March 70 to March 71 and again Sept 71 until she was sold in Hong Kong Dec 71. I would be pleased if you could supply any photos of her and crew lists for those periods.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

baileybloke
19th March 2009, 18:30
Jim,
Good to hear from you. I will do a little bit of background work and get back to you.
Kind regards,
Ian

GoodRunAshore
9th April 2009, 22:20
Ian,

I am as interested in the disposition of personell as others on here. Mainly because I can remember very few of the names of people I sailed with. With Ellermans 79-84. I would be epecially grateful for any more pictures of the Gloucester than are on the forum as it was my first ship. The only ones I have were four pictures kindly sent to me by Clive Rapley the C/O on that trip, presumably sent not too long before he joined the Derbyhire. Unfortunately these are pictures of me and not the Gloucester.
Only if you get the chance, also the Liverpool, York, Ipswich, Hartlepool and Perth.

Jon

baileybloke
14th April 2009, 06:02
Jon,

Welcome to the forum. I can see that I've got my work cut out here. Yes, I can be of assistance with your pictures but I should stress that I am unable to help with your crew lists as mine only cover 1969 to 1975. Give me a couple of days to assemble your photos and I will be in touch.
Kind regards,

Ian

Shandy
14th April 2009, 17:31
Hi Ian

Its good to see the old crew lists from the Ellerman magazine. I have saved a couple of pages from them in my favourites. Until I moved house I had a few myself that is when they went missing. I joined Ellermans in 1969 and I was wondering if you had any covering that time 1969 to 1970. If you have I would be obliged if you could let me have a look at them

Thank you in anticipation,

Les

GoodRunAshore
15th April 2009, 12:52
Jon,

Welcome to the forum. I can see that I've got my work cut out here. Yes, I can be of assistance with your pictures but I should stress that I am unable to help with your crew lists as mine only cover 1969 to 1975. Give me a couple of days to assemble your photos and I will be in touch.
Kind regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I am uploading the pictures I have of the Dilkara and Durban to the forum gallery.

m shann
15th April 2009, 13:39
Hi
I would appreciate a photo of the following:
Salmo. Mediterranean / City of Istanbul Arcadian/City of Famagusta
City of Corinth/ I sailed on these vessels 70s 3rd Mate/2nd Mate
Mike

baileybloke
23rd April 2009, 15:59
Sorry folks, I took a few days off. GoodRunAshore, Shandy and mshann - I am dealoing with your requests. I did a spell on the Arcadian in mid 1974 as third mate. I seem to recall we called at Lisbon, Valetta, Famagusta, Haifa and Ashdod if my memory serves me correctly. Anyway, I will PM you all when I have your pics. Take care, Ian

K urgess
23rd April 2009, 18:41
I did a spell on the Arcadian in mid 1974 as third mate. I seem to recall we called at Lisbon, Valetta, Famagusta, Haifa and Ashdod if my memory serves me correctly.

Must have been about the time I was on there, Ian.
Although if you'd blinked you would have missed me.
I signed on in Hull 12th July 1974 and signed off on the Tyne on the 17th July.
Not quite my shortest on articles. That goes to 3 days Hull to London on the Bendearg.

Cheers
Kris

baileybloke
26th April 2009, 06:06
Kris, Having investigated, I missed you by one day. I joined Arcadian on 25th May 1974 and paid off on 11th July. So near yet so far. Good to catch up with you now anyway.

Cheers
Ian

K urgess
26th April 2009, 12:04
Very. close, Ian. (Thumb)
I was skiving after finishing my electronics ticket at South Shields and did a few short hops.
Amazingly we earned leave while on the course so I didn't get back deep sea until September.
Did a coast on the City of Ripon in October '75 and a full trip on Ellerman Wilson's Rialto in spring '69.
Cheers
Kris

GoodRunAshore
27th April 2009, 15:22
(Thumb) A public thanks to Ian (baileybloke) for the pictures you sent me. Many thanks

Jon

Wingspan
17th June 2009, 00:01
Hi Ian
You're doing a great service. I encountered the City of Rochester in the Persian Gulf in 1959 while on a Dutch coaster.
We'd run out of food while still 500 miles from Aden and the ship gave us enough supplies to get us to port, have you a photo of the 'City' boat ?
Regards, Wingspan

Michael Taylor
17th June 2009, 14:43
Hello Ian...missed this site but thanks to yesterdays msg I would like to request photos of the following vessels. I had collected photos of the City vessels I sailed on before but they have been lost during my move to Uruguay;
City of...... Madras,Lancaster,Dundee,Winchester,Exeter,Swansea, Melbourne,Adelaide,Oxford,Guidford.
Sorry the list is a bit long but would appriciate yr. help. Mike Taylor

baileybloke
17th June 2009, 18:53
Hi Michael, glad I'm not doing your dhobi!! All joking aside, the answer is yes, but give me a dew days to get them all togethher for you. And Wingspan, I,ve got to ask where you got a name like that!!! I just hope its clean. Anyway, I will get back with some goodies for you.
Kind regards, Baileybloke

Michael Taylor
18th June 2009, 15:24
Thanks Ian and I look forward to getting the photos. The photos are for my private pleasure and am sure they will bring back many fond memories.
It would be interesting if we could form a list of those who sailed with the various companies to make it easy to contact old friends....take care...Mike

alan eccleston
8th August 2009, 11:02
Hi Baltic Wal, Pleased to here of your interest in City Boats. Do you have any stuff on "City of Carlisle-Or City o Barcelona" . Early days for me 1940"s
All The best Alan Eccleston X Cammell Laird

baileybloke
13th August 2009, 09:47
Hi Alan, I'm not not sure quite where Baltic Wal comes into this this equation but I can certainly help you out. I'll be in touch very shortly. Cheers, Baileybloke

James robinson-gale
19th August 2009, 04:11
Hi,

I have inherited some photos of City boats from my Dad's collection and would be happy to forward them. I am however concious of the copyright issue brought up earlier in this thread. I will send some details later (if anyone would like) but I know they include Durban and Plymouth both of which Dad captained.

James

doctor ken
24th August 2009, 19:55
Looking for some photos of Ellerman ships my father served on long ago.

City of Brisbane built April 1918 lost August 1918
Branksome Hall built as Glenavon lost 1918
Melford Hall lost June 1917
Anatolia lost off Genoa June 1917

Would be grateful if anyone can help
Ken

baileybloke
25th August 2009, 19:31
Ken, Strangely enough, I can help. I will get something organised for you in the next few days when I finish this block of night shifts. It paints a sad picture when you realise that these ships were all lost during the first world war. Such a waste. Be in touch.
Cheers,
Baileybloke

doctor ken
26th August 2009, 09:50
Bailybloke
Thanks a lot. I will look forward to what you can find. The worst loss is City of Brisbane, just at the start of her second voyage on her way to join a convoy at Plymouth. The only good bit was that all survived the sinking. An interesting point is that at the time there were 100 of a crew on board. The sub responsible never made it home but was lost with all hands later that same day, thought to have fallen foul of the mine barrage off Dover.

Dad was on City of Brisbane at the time. He had an eventful two years.On the Branksome Hall when she was damaged and the ANATOLIA when she was lost.

Glad you can help
Ken

Colin McClelland
26th August 2009, 22:51
HELLO BAILEYBLOKE
I was an engineer with Ellermans from 1964 to 1969, on the City of Bath.
Columbo, York, Exeter, Gloucester, Wellington.

I would be gratefull for photos of the, Bath, Exeter and Wellington.

Regards
Colin

baileybloke
28th August 2009, 06:12
Colin, no problem. I will sort it for you. I am experiencing problems getting on to the internet with my PC at home so I am having to communicate via work. I will not forget your request so just bear with me. Kind regards, Ian

James Dawson
19th November 2009, 15:37
Hello Baileybloke I sailed with Ellermans from '72-'78 as an eng. Do you have a picture of the City of Canterbury, I have one in my picture gallery but not all that good. Also the City of Newcastle. Ta very much you are making a lot of us old boys very happy.
JD.

stores
19th November 2009, 17:02
hi would like any photos of S S BORODINO Ellerman Wilson line, thanks STORES.

James Dawson
4th December 2009, 10:59
Hello again Baileybloke many thanks for the "Canterbury" pictures really appreciate them,can I ask just one more favour do you have one of the City of Glasgow,the "smally eight" class. Need this to complete my set. Have tried all different sites but can't get one of her in this class.
Many thanks again. JD.

baileybloke
5th December 2009, 06:49
Hi James, strangely enough, yes I can. Happy to help out.
Baileybloke

James Dawson
5th December 2009, 13:03
Well done Ian I now have a complete list of ship's photographes I sailed on under the world famous black, white, and you know what funnel. Thanks a million for your help.
JD.

clownloach
5th December 2009, 13:57

i was a member of the stern tug foto,belonging to ellerman and wilsons based in hull,they were two tugs the other one was named presto.i had an image of her tied up in alaxander dock. do you have an image of her. william worrall

K urgess
5th December 2009, 14:02
There are two pictures involving FORTO in the gallery, William.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=209280
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=107215
Cheers
Kris

Shandy
6th December 2009, 17:11
Hi Ian
I wondered if you came across any crew lists from the ellerman mags. I joined Ellermans in 1969 and I was wondering if you had any covering the time 1969 to 1970. I would be greatful for any that came close.

baileybloke
7th December 2009, 07:43
Hi Shandy,
I can assist you on that one. I will contact you very shortly. Kind regards,
Ian

Shandy
7th December 2009, 21:35
Hi Ian
Thanks for getting back in touch, look forward to hearing from you.

Les

davekinda2000
9th March 2010, 12:27
So does that mean william you worked with Ernie Thompson, he was my grandfather,

Dave (Thumb)

The Dog
9th July 2010, 12:56
The editor of Red Duster and SN member The Dog, is looking for a colour copy of the great picture of City of Port Elizabeth leaving Capetown at speed with the tablecloth coming over table mountain behind her. Has got the B&W version has anyone got it in colour.

Redalert12
28th January 2011, 00:56
Hi,
My grandfather was an engineer officer on the City of Bristol (built 1912) sometime during WW1. He also served on another ship in the Med which was either torpedoed or mined, but was saved by running ashore.
I have one photo of the City of Bristol, which I could scan and send. Do you have others? Apparently there is a painting of the Bristol in 1913 by a French artist, but it appears to be in private hands.

baileybloke
28th January 2011, 01:04
Hi Redalert,
I will check through my database tonight and get back to you. If your photo is not one of the one's I send to you, I would be happy to see a copy of yours.

guinnessmick
29th January 2011, 21:23
hi i did my first trip to sea on the albano in nov 59 when she ran aground in crete do you have any of here either while she was aground or otherwise and also the vasco ty

baileybloke
31st January 2011, 22:20
Hi guinnessmick,
I believe I can assist you with this one. I will get back to you to let you know what I can do for you.

AlexBooth
6th June 2011, 15:56
I hope this link works....

Looks to be like the Exeter moored in the background.

[URL=http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/reference.aspx?uid=134229&index=0&mainQuery=London%20Docks&searchType=all&form=basic&theme=&county=&district=&placeName=[/URL]

This site is facinating - really shows the days when our merchant navy was a navy !

Alex

willcarrier
23rd July 2011, 19:32
Hi, I'm doing some research on a few of the Ellerman City Line. wondering if you may have anything on the following...

City of Ripon
City of Bath
City of Corinth

Look forward to hearing back from you in due course, my email is willcarrier1@aol.com

Thanks.

bondyboy63
4th October 2011, 19:45

This is a picture of the ss Lancastrian in 1958, not sure where but it would have been somewhere in the Mediterranean.
Reagrds
Chris Bond24932

reg
5th October 2011, 08:43
Hello Baileybloke Do you have a photo of the DAGO I sailed on her about 1954 on the med runs, kind regards Reg

Ray Rowlands
1st November 2011, 10:50
Having only recently joined this Web site & forum, I read with interest postings from David Fitzpatrick on 19.7.2007 re City of Calcutta & Grampsyman on 7.7.2007 re City of Lyons.
Are you both aware of an excellent book of photos "Ships in Focus- Ellerman Lines" by John Clarkson & Roy Fenton. Published 1993 by John & Marion Clarkson-18 Franklands,Longton, Preston PR45PD. Printed by Amadeus Press Ltd.,Huddersfield. Cost (then) 9.50.
It has numerous photos of the Ellerman ships, with their histories and includes one of the City of Calcutta & of the City of Lyons's sister ship- City of Roubaix.

The Loftsman
23rd April 2012, 21:07
Hi BaileyBloke,
Would appreciate your help with photo's and or stories on the following ships built for Ellerman Wilson and Papayanni Lines, all built at the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb, photos are required for my website about all the ships built in the yard. There are a few so I know it is asking a lot but it will all help to keep the memory of these ships and men going.
The ships were as follows,

Yard No Name
355 TINTO
356 TRURO
357 BRAVO
358 SILVIO
359 DARINIAN
360 PALMELIAN
406 CAVALLO
407 TRENTINO
437 CICERO
438 ROLLO
439 TEANO
445 FLAMINIAN
462 MALATIAN
463 CATANIAN
471 AARO
472 RAPALLO
473 ARCADIAN
495 SALERNO
496 SALMO
497 SORRENTO
498 SILVIO
499 SANGRO
501 ATHENIAN
503 MEDITERRANIAN
Many thanks again,

Cheers

The Loftsman

sam2182sw
8th May 2012, 12:14
Hi BaileyBloke i am looking for a photo of Spero with her Green hull painted i have one of her in grey can you help sam 2182sw

sam2182sw
8th May 2012, 13:51
Hi i am looking for photos of City Boats that started out as Sam bosts sam2182sw

A.D.FROST
9th May 2012, 09:29
Hi i am looking for photos of City Boats that started out as Sam bosts sam2182sw

ELY,LICHFIELD,ROCHESTER,SHREWSBURY and STAFFORD.www.photoship.com

Whitstablelaurence
9th May 2012, 15:11
Gooday Gentlemen, I was a Quartermaster aboard the City of Carlisle (an old Empire vessel I believe) and joined her in Baltimore having been a passenger abord the French Line ship - Ile de France -August 1953 and paid off in Hull 29th january 1954. The Master was a Captain F Mc Kay, Ch. Officer was from Liverpool and the 3rd was an ex China Shipping chap. My apologies for not remembering the names, although the 2nd Officer I remember was a Scotsman and the name could have been Watson. There is - somewhere lurking in the depths of my dunnage - a photgraph if it could be of any help.
Gret site,
Regards,
Whitstablelaurence

sam2182sw
9th May 2012, 19:59
yes please put it on the site sam2182sw

sam2182sw
9th May 2012, 20:02
Hi A.D.Frost Photoship seems to have being taken of the site tried it two days ago and tonight when i got your reply can you help with them city boats sam2182sw

A.D.FROST
10th May 2012, 15:48
Hi A.D.Frost Photoship seems to have being taken of the site tried it two days ago and tonight when i got your reply can you help with them city boats sam2182sw
Sorry Igave you wrong link www.photoship.co.uk(Thumb)
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20C/slides/City%20of%20Ely-02.html

sam2182sw
11th May 2012, 19:27
thanks sam2182sw

Tam H
15th July 2012, 08:21
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution.Hi, I have been trying to get a photo of the City of Christchurch. It was the ship that took a number of the R.N.with several small craft to Dunkirk to assist in the evacuation in 1940. A memorable ship for all of us who were aboard. Tam H.

A.D.FROST
15th July 2012, 08:56
Hi, I have been trying to get a photo of the City of Christchurch. It was the ship that took a number of the R.N.with several small craft to Dunkirk to assist in the evacuation in 1940. A memorable ship for all of us who were aboard. Tam H.
Try this web site aswell(Thumb)
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20C/slides/City%20of%20Christchurch-01.html

Tam H
16th July 2012, 06:47
Try this web site aswell(Thumb)
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20C/slides/City%20of%20Christchurch-01.htmlHi A.D.,
Thankyou for your prompt and very welcome answer to my request. We boarded her at night and I was not looking towards her when she left us at a buoy off Dunkirk in May 1940. So I really had no idea of her appearance. Altho. I was aboard her for three somewhat hectic and challenging days. An interesting introduction to the R.N. I had enlisted on the 29th of April that year.

reg
16th July 2012, 07:46
Would you have any photo's of the DAGO sailed on it 1954 on the med run, thanks a lot Reg

A.D.FROST
16th July 2012, 07:58
Would you have any photo's of the DAGO sailed on it 1954 on the med run, thanks a lot Reg

Click on this;
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20D/slides/Dago-01.html (Thumb)

reg
16th July 2012, 09:52
Thanks a lot , she looks a fine ship, Reg

Amy262
24th January 2013, 12:49
Hi there, you may be able to point me in the right direction of where to get started. Basically my Great Uncle Captian Stan Conyers passed away recently, he was for years after leaving the Navy the Health and Safety Manager for the Ellermans Shipping Line. He left behind 10 first edition framed prints by various artists of the lines ships at various locations across the globe. They are very beautiful, but wasted sitting here in a box. We offered them to the company and they were not interested even though they are highly collectable. Where should i post, what thread etc? I'd love to find a home for them as i'm sure there are many members on this site that these would be invaluable to.

Many thanks,

Amy

Billythebunny
27th January 2013, 08:55
Hi I hope you can help me, my father in laws first ship was the city of Durban ellerman lines and it is about to be his 80th birthday I would love to put some photos together for him and particularly if you had any dates and info related to the photos it would be great. Could you or anyone help me by emailing a few.
Your help will be very much appreciated

Billythebunny
27th January 2013, 08:58
Amy
You may see my posting about the city of Durban after yours I don't suppose any are of this ship are they? I would be very interested if they were? What are the other ships?

Oddjob5
28th January 2013, 12:28
ian

Do you by any chance have any photos of the C/O Lyons please ?

Peter

greene17969
6th February 2013, 10:16
Have you any photos of the ship the City of Athens? My father died on board ship in Portugal in 1976. Thanks Joe

Amy262
10th February 2013, 23:34
Hi there, i'm really sorry i have no idea what ships are in the paintings!! I'm afraid i'm not very knowledgeable on the subject!

The Dog
11th February 2013, 12:09
Hi there, you may be able to point me in the right direction of where to get started. Basically my Great Uncle Captian Stan Conyers passed away recently, he was for years after leaving the Navy the Health and Safety Manager for the Ellermans Shipping Line. He left behind 10 first edition framed prints by various artists of the lines ships at various locations across the globe. They are very beautiful, but wasted sitting here in a box. We offered them to the company and they were not interested even though they are highly collectable. Where should i post, what thread etc? I'd love to find a home for them as i'm sure there are many members on this site that these would be invaluable to.

Many thanks,

Amy

Greetings Amy 262 from editor Red Duster News letter of the Liverpool Retired Merchant Seafarer.

We will be very happy to give your ship prints a home in our library and arrange for them to be displayed.

We will also be able to identify the ships depicted if you should so wish. Can you E-mail copies to podmoran@hotmail.co.uk, Editor Red Duster. They need not be in colour,

We do have a member who is probably the best ship recognition expert in the world.

Regards The Dog

marine798
5th March 2013, 07:09
Hi, just enrolled and very interested in finding out my fathers Merchant service record. I know most of the ships he sailed with but need a guide as to where I go to get dates for outward bound trips and destinations. He servied from 1913 until 1939, with a short break with the Army 1917/1919. Any help will be much appreciated.
Best regards to all.

marine798
11th March 2013, 06:52
Hi baileybloke, My father sailed on Ellerman ships for twenty plus years. I am at present compiling his service career. I have his ship names and would appreciate some pictures. the two ships I am processing at the moment are, SS Vasco and SS Lesbian.I would very much appreciate pictures if you have them.
Thank you and regards.
marine798

Arthur C
13th March 2013, 09:06
Hi baileybloke,
I have an old friend who has recently be diagnosed with Mesothelioma, Who sailed on his first trip in 1955. I would be very appreciative if you could post a picture so I could frame it & give it to him.

Thanks in anticipation,

Arthur C. ex 3/E Houlders

Alan Smalley
22nd March 2013, 18:43
Hi Baileybloke, do you have any photo's of the two ellermans tugs based in Hull, the Presto and Forto I was on them in the early sixties up to just before the Presto was sold and sadly she was then shortly after scrapped

Regards
Alan Smalley

Para Lochinver
1st June 2013, 21:57
If anyone out there has any electronic copies of any Ellerman ships I would be happy to add them in to my database for everyones enjoyment.Please include the ships name and date. Thanks to Derek Hudson in Aussie for your valuable contribution. Hi Bailybloke, I sailed on the Malatian which was a Ellerman Papayanni ship in 1957/8 and was wondering if you had any pictures of her?.

Arthur C
2nd June 2013, 02:38
Hi Baily,
You will make a lot of ship enthusiasts /former ship personnel, happy with your massive task of getting all these photo's.

I am a Houlders man, but would like to thank you. Also your help to me
for my old mate Jim, who you helped by getting some Ellerman photos & information previously.

Cheers from Perth, West Oz.

Arthur ex 3/E.(Applause)

chelle
18th June 2013, 11:59

Hi, do you have any of the Livorno please? :)

chelle
18th June 2013, 12:07
(Wave)Hi Terry, I too am looking for a picture of the Livorno, if you do manage to come across one, could you please email me.. I'm new to this site, so a bit confused at the minute..(Wave) (*))

Andy Lucas
10th July 2013, 08:25

Hello, I would really like a copy of the City of Sydney, I did a MANZ run on there in 1968/69.
Also would you have in your collection MV Carchester, not an ECL vessel but chartered and manned by ECL personnel 1978 ish.

Best Regards
Andy Lucas

A.D.FROST
11th July 2013, 13:33
Hello, I would really like a copy of the City of Sydney, I did a MANZ run on there in 1968/69.
Also would you have in your collection MV Carchester, not an ECL vessel but chartered and manned by ECL personnel 1978 ish.

Best Regards
Andy Lucas

Hombre
30th October 2013, 12:17

Hi Baileybloke

My dad sailed on Ellerman Line ships in WW1, and had three taken out by Ubouts. He survived the last on, City of Corinth, sunk 12 miles SW of the Lizard. I have the only existing photo of the C0C taken by a crew member as she was sinking on May 21, 1917. I also did a painting (once I had found the correct colours) which I copied from the photo. If you would like a copy of one or both let me know and I can email them to you. I don't know what other Ellerman ships he was on, but if you have a list of those that were sunk in WW1, my sister may recognise the names, she is older than me !
Dave.

bristol
29th June 2014, 22:40
Hi,
My father in law served on the City of Dundee in ww2. He's been looking
for some photos. I would be very grateful for any if you have some.
I'm not much of a chronicler but I think the ship was called something else before.
I hope you can help.
Thanks.
Bristol

reg
30th June 2014, 08:48
Do you have DAGO it would have been around 1953/4, thanks Reg

Supercargo
4th July 2014, 20:21
Hi, The first ship I worked on as an apprentice fitter, was the City of Agra in Liverpool in 1951. I would appreciate a photo of her,she was a turbine ship with a huge engine room.
Many thanks,
Roy.

Herewith photo taken 1961 Capetown.

dixondesign
8th September 2014, 08:38
Hi Baileybloke. I can't remember if I've asked you this before.( Old age and short term memory loss!) Have you a photo of Salmo 2. Built in 1924.
Regards Don