Harold Brown

Janner100
27th June 2007, 11:40
Has anyone sailed with Harold Brown?

R58484956
27th June 2007, 16:16
Rank /ship /Company might be a little help. Can we assume BP??

Janner100
27th June 2007, 22:33
Rank /ship /Company might be a little help. Can we assume BP??

Chief engineer/Many/I think it would be safe to so assume.

Graham Wallace
2nd July 2007, 04:46
An H.J. Brown was a 1952 BP Marine Engineering Apprentice from Liverpool, the first year of BP's venturing into the Engineering Apprentices scheme. C/E in 1970 and sailed more years with BP, Swift 1970, Beech 1982. I do not know if the 'H' is Harold but some others might. I have never been able to locate him.

Graham

Janner100
2nd July 2007, 20:22
The H does indeed stand for Harold. I didnt realise he was as old as that. I first knew him when he was a 2/e in 1964 or 1965. I believe he may have been on the Engineer at the time. I later served my time at Falmouth Docks where working on BP tankers was commonplace.

The first job i can remember doing was a boiler valve on the British Judge. I have lost touch with Harold and haven't seen him since about 1990.

Graham Wallace
4th July 2007, 05:02
HJ Brown was 2/E on the Lantern leaving drydock in July /August 1965. David Rundle was 3/M at the time he was given the O.B.E in 1982 for Falklands work , David died Jan 2006
Graham

offcumdum sanddancer
29th July 2007, 15:48
I sailed with Harry Brown on the Border Falcon or Pele in the mid 70's, and found him to be a gentleman. He was Chief and I was second engineer and he left me to get on with running the job. He lived in Falmouth at the time, and at that time had a son doing his 'A' levels, and wanting to go into politics.

I had many a chat with him and always found him approachable and genial. His only grouse was that he had been provided by nature with very short legs in proportion to his body, and said that if his legs were of the correct proportions he would have been 6 foot 6 inches high!

He originally came from Merseyside (don't know which side) and had a twin brother who drove a forklift truck at Halewood. From his description of his twin they were obviously not identical.

Janner100
29th July 2007, 23:36
I sailed with Harry Brown on the Border Falcon or Pele in the mid 70's, and found him to be a gentleman. He was Chief and I was second engineer and he left me to get on with running the job. He lived in Falmouth at the time, and at that time had a son doing his 'A' levels, and wanting to go into politics.

I had many a chat with him and always found him approachable and genial. His only grouse was that he had been provided by nature with very short legs in proportion to his body, and said that if his legs were of the correct proportions he would have been 6 foot 6 inches high!

He originally came from Merseyside (don't know which side) and had a twin brother who drove a forklift truck at Halewood. From his description of his twin they were obviously not identical.

Indeed Harold is a gentleman of the highest order. I believe he still lives in the falmouth area but I have not heard of his son entering the political arena. He is from a large family and I believe his twin brother is called Arnie. I met him once when he visited Harold in Falmouth. I may have a lead on him so I will keep you posted.

Graham Wallace
31st July 2007, 02:21
Janner,

I would be really interested if you can find him.

Graham

Graham Wallace
1st August 2007, 07:08
I located him today, unfortunately he has Alzheimers but seems to remember past more than present.
Is there anybody else around who sailed with him or knew him?

Graham

derek.coleman
15th May 2008, 22:04
as a young boy i would often watch harold towing barges out to sea, she seemed to be very efficient. much better than anything they have now. iwhent to manor road school, and i remember roy powell painting a picture of the tug, it was hung on the wall in a frame. i think he won a prize for it. if i remember, the steam dredger's name was the adure.

derek.coleman
15th May 2008, 22:09
oops sorry i misread thought it on harold brown

philipm
12th July 2010, 14:14
I sailed with Harry as Junior Engineer on ( I think it was the Centaur) He was known as the fiddler as he used to come down the engine room at strange hours without telling anyone and walk round 'adjusting' controls which he felt were not right, i.e. shutting in cooling water valves, adjusting boiler FD fan controls etc. He would then disappear back to the accommodation leaving the watchkeepers to answer the alarms that his 'fiddling ' invariably caused. I was often sent off to follow him by the 4/E if we saw him come into the engine room and 're-adjust' whatever it was he had been fiddling with, ( preferably without him seeing me!). Sorry to hear about his Alzheimers. Apart from his 'fiddling' I remember him as a good bloke. He came from Ormskirk I think so lived only about 5 miles from me at the time. Perhaps that's why we got on well, but then don't scousers get on with everybody?

davet
3rd September 2010, 23:31
There was a Harry Brown, ex- BP, who worked for Furness Manning Agency. I met him in Singapore about 1984. He lived in Falmouth.

Davet.

Graham Wallace
5th September 2010, 19:25
There was a Harry Brown, ex- BP, who worked for Furness Manning Agency. I met him in Singapore about 1984. He lived in Falmouth.

Davet.

Harry still lives in Falmouth, at least he did up to a few years ago and it is highly unlikely he moved

Graham

jmirvine
22nd November 2011, 23:20
Just came upon this thread, so sorry for the late reply.

Sailed with Harry on the Patrol where he was C/E. Talking to him face to face, you couldn't pick up his Liverpool accent, but it came through clear as a bell when he was on the phone to the engine room.

Really nice guy, and I'm sorry to hear he has alzheimers,

jep1916
31st January 2014, 17:22
I sailed with Harry Brown twice. The first time he was 2/E a BP Clyde Tanker, but I can't remember the name. The second time he was C/E and I was 2/E on the British Ivy. I remember that we hit a concrete jetty in a port in Sweden and tore a big slice out of the port side bunker tank. We repaired it with a massive cement box located on the inside of the bunker tank and that held until the ship could be properly repaired. Harry was a great bloke with a wicked sense of humour.