Provider SY24

grahamtowa
27th June 2007, 21:12
Anyone got any info on this boat. Believed built at Cockenzie. Can't find in any Olsens, cheers, Graham

Gavin Gait
27th June 2007, 21:14
got a Provider OB317 , GVVQ , 25t , 44ft , built 1956 at Eyemouth in the 1982 olsens that could be her

grahamtowa
27th June 2007, 21:40
thanks, Davie, but wrong one. That's one of the ex White Heathers from Eyemouth.(Thumb)

Gavin Gait
27th June 2007, 21:41
Ok Graham i'll do a bit of digging around see what I can find out lol(Thumb) [=P]

Mike Craine
28th June 2007, 18:35
Graham - Provider, SY24 built 1969 by White, Cockenzie. Became Notre Dame, CY89 1974; Notre Dame, BCK9 1983; Cardinal, BCK9 1988. That's as far as I can go.

grahamtowa
28th June 2007, 18:45
Thank, Mike, youve confirmed the bit that I wanted to know.i.e. that Provider and Notredame were the same boat.
Provider was built under some scheme by the Highlands and Islands Development Board, others being Compass Rose LK707 and Sapphire LK147. Does anyone know any more vessels built under this scheme? The above 3 were all built at Cockenzie, but I don't know if other yards were involved too?

Mike Craine
28th June 2007, 18:48
Some other boats built by J S White, Cockenzie
1960 SILVER CORD II LH367
1961 PIONEER LH397
1964 KAY BB FD219
1965 FLAMBOROUGH LIGHT H392
1967 LOCH ERISOT SY434
1968 MARY SMITH III KY132
1969 SAPPHIRE LK147
1972 HECTORIA UL 45
1981 PRIDE OF WALES BK291

grahamtowa
28th June 2007, 20:21
Cheers, Mike, didn't have Loch Erisot, could be another of the HIDB scheme ones. Will see what I can find about that one!

wbeedie
29th June 2007, 07:04
The Vikki B was built under a HIDB scheme in 1982 now called Bellatrix BRD307 .

grahamtowa
29th June 2007, 12:31
Hi, wbeebie, thanks for that. Theres a wee bit in todays Fishing News 40 years ago, which mentions this scheme and Forbes of Sandhaven, so obviously more than the Cockenzie yard were involved. It's only the Cockenzie ones that interest me at present. Do you know the builder of Vikki B? Cheers.

wbeedie
29th June 2007, 13:34
She was built in Worcester but was a Napier 36 slightly over then ten metre mark currently on FAFB as Bellatrix

martin johns
1st July 2007, 08:38
Vicki B was built by at Bryce Waterhouse Marine, in Worcester as Wbeedie said.

grahamtowa
1st July 2007, 09:39
cheers, wb and martin

wbeedie
1st July 2007, 18:35
Cheers Martin couldnt remember the name of the firm but remember going to see her before she was finished with my dad

martin johns
1st July 2007, 20:41
Graham,
I've found the FN article about Loch Erisort from 1967 & it states that the boat was the first stern trawler to get a HIDB grant.
I'll send it to you if you still have the same e-mail address.

grahamtowa
1st July 2007, 21:41
Thanks, Martin, still at same address. Cheers!

hc454ma
24th June 2009, 00:39
Graham,
I've found the FN article about Loch Erisort from 1967 & it states that the boat was the first stern trawler to get a HIDB grant.
I'll send it to you if you still have the same e-mail address.

Hi Martin,

My uncle, Angus MacKinnon, was the first skipper of the Loch Erisort and as a wee fella I spent many a happy day on her. I was devastated the day she was sold and even more so when I heard she sank in Loch Inver. My uncle died either shortly before or after she sank.

I would very much appreciate if you could give me any information or pictures of the Loch Erisort as I would like to build a scale model for my dad. Angus was his brother and my dad was often out on her.

I have a jpg of a painting of her outside Stornoway harbour of anyone is interested.

The Kathleen was almost identical and considered her sister ship.

Thanks in advance for any help.

islander SY24
29th August 2009, 00:43
Got some info on Provider SY24. The boat was built for my father who is, happily, still going strong. I was shocked to find your post and just had to reply. As far as i know the main bulk of her is somewhere in Alloa, where my family are going tomorrow, and we're going to try to find her. The Wheelhouse is, apparently in Boness, but that will be for another day. If you have any questions about her, I can call my father to find out. I'm so happy she's not been forgotten.

islander SY24
29th August 2009, 15:08
Found her. Still floating, though a bit leaky. Wheelhouse was scrapped in Boness before her move to Alloa. Scale models of most boats built in Cockenzie were made and the Provider can still be seen in the window above a door on the main street in the town today. A model boat display was held in June in Cockenzie and a book and DVD have also been made of the boats built at that yard. I also spoke to a man who worked on her as an apprentice all those years ago. Last name she was known by was Thornopoly (sorry if that's the wrong spelling) but the man who owns her now knows little of her previous life. I hope this has been helpful to you. Hope to 'talk' soon.

grahamtowa
6th September 2009, 09:21
Thank you, Islander for your reply,at the time of my posting I was writing up the history of the Cockenzie yard. I beleive that Provider was built for Murdo McLeod ar MacLean (different sources vary). Can you clarify this? Graham

gress
6th September 2009, 20:55
Got some info on Provider SY24. The boat was built for my father who is, happily, still going strong. I was shocked to find your post and just had to reply. As far as i know the main bulk of her is somewhere in Alloa, where my family are going tomorrow, and we're going to try to find her. The Wheelhouse is, apparently in Boness, but that will be for another day. If you have any questions about her, I can call my father to find out. I'm so happy she's not been forgotten.

hi catherine, this is cathy from 11 ss, writing on hubbys site, how are you doing

islander SY24
17th September 2009, 16:41
Doing fine. Married with 2 wee boys. Enjoying being where we are now. Cathy e-mail my address when you get a chance and we can catch up. To Graham the name is Mr Murdo Maclean of Stornoway.

islander SY24
19th September 2009, 13:30
Graham the name of the book which was written about the model boats of Cockenzie and Port Seton is Boatie Blest. There is no indication of the author but the introduction was written by Alec Weatherhead.

grahamtowa
30th September 2009, 08:17
Islander, there are various chapters in the Boatie Blest book, but the one on the Cockenzie boatyard was written by myself, Graham Toward.

Alex559
26th October 2010, 03:25
Reckon I'm a few years late with this but thought I'd post anyway. I served my time as a draughtsman with Wm Weatherheads at this yard and subseqently with Whites when they took over the yard to build Ham class minesweepers, designed by Fairmile. What did catch my eye on the post was the fishing boats we built under the Highlands and Islands Dev. board. I did the design calculations, lines plan and working drawings for the fishing boat " Pioneer " as well as worked on the " Scarlet Chord " and "Silver Chord ". The Pioneer was for a Mr A Buchanan, when he came to the office one day to see what progress was being made I produced the lines drawing, his comment was " It's a fishing boat I want not a ****** destroyer. Must admit she was fine of line forward but he got to the grounds faster than the other boats. Believe I still have a copy of the drawings somewhere.