Wonder if I'll get any feed-back from THIS one!!!!

Philthechill
29th June 2007, 11:51
Does anyone remember a "supporter" of Brock's ships officers called Patsy Hassan. Anglo-Indian girl in Calcutta. Salaams Phil Roe

Jim S
29th June 2007, 16:24
Had she a friend called Dolores? - at last count 35 people have looked at your posting but will anyone own up? In the 1960's as 5/E and J4/E on nights at Calcutta it was the practice to be accommodated in Seaman's Mission. Amazing the girls one could meet there on an afternoon.

Philthechill
30th June 2007, 11:49
Jim! Could the title of this piece be heard in the 71 homes who have had a chota dekko at my gentle query? Suffice to say the number of replies (1 only from yourself) are very conspicuous by their absence!! Dunno about Patsy having a buddie called Dolores as I only met Patsy (very, very memorably I might add, if you follow my drift! Phnaar! Phnaar!) twice. I could send the details but some of our elder brethren (says Phil from his lofty perch of 70 years!!) may find the finer points a little risque!!! Changing t'subject slightly. Have you read the reply from Bob F re the Bellis & Morcomb/Peter Brotherhood controversy? I reckon he's got a good point actually. What do you think? Salaams, Phil

gwzm
30th June 2007, 13:43
Phil,

I dunno about Patsy but Harry Jefferson, Burrah Marconi Sahib on Mahseer, used to speak of "Brocklebank Doris" coming on board in Calcutta and living as "bidie in" (mistress) in various officers' cabins.

Alla the best,

gwzm/John

R58484956
30th June 2007, 15:12
Any photos of the "brocks supporters" in shoeboxes waiting to be shown, to enlighten us non brock men.

Jim S
30th June 2007, 18:19
Phil,

I dunno about Patsy but Harry Jefferson, Burrah Marconi Sahib on Mahseer, used to speak of "Brocklebank Doris" coming on board in Calcutta and living as "bidie in" (mistress) in various officers' cabins.

Alla the best,

gwzm/John

Doris and Dolores may just have been the same person - my only contact (honest injun) was to pass a message from her to Maidan's Ist Elect.

Jim S

Harry Nicholson
30th June 2007, 18:20
Memory fades, most of my shipmates names too; but I do recall one name from among the Anglo-Indian beauties who sometimes came aboard in Calcutta late 50's. She was Enid Clump, I wonder what became of her. One or two of these ladies married Brock's officers and came back to Liverpool. One is supposed to have said on looking over the side at the Scouse dockers "oh! white coolies!"

A.G.Greenwood
1st July 2007, 08:43
Remember the names well, Enid Clump, Black Doris, Dolores, Inez Lyons. Did they not also frequent Isaiahs in Free School Street.
Tony Greenwood

Chris Isaac
1st July 2007, 09:55
Having spent LONELY hours in Calcutta on a Clan Line ship I am somewhat disappointed by the selfish attitude of the Brocks people..... we needed some comfort as well and I think it would have been a nice gesture to have sent the dear lady to perform some of her "missionary" work for us.

A.G.Greenwood
1st July 2007, 10:31
What about Clan Line Ann!!!

Jim S
1st July 2007, 21:33
Remember the names well, Enid Clump, Black Doris, Dolores, Inez Lyons. Did they not also frequent Isaiahs in Free School Street.
Tony Greenwood

Now there is a name from the past that brings back memories.
Of course if all else failed there were a couple of establishments in Ripon Street - No 108 comes to mind - that provided a service

japottinger
7th July 2007, 15:27
I recall a Marjorie O'Rourke no less at Isiahs

japottinger
7th July 2007, 15:29
You all recall the blandishments from the pimps, "English schoolteacher? No?
small girl? No? Och well, small boy then?"

Masirah
10th July 2007, 18:55
Enid Clump certainly brings back memories. We brought one back to the UK on Masirah, I am fairly certain it was Enid, engaged to be married to one of the lads. Then there was one tare away called Rosie. Were theses girls from some mission organization that was called on every time a party was set up on board in Calcutta?

Michael Meredith

John Ringrose
3rd June 2008, 10:35
Whilst in Cal on the Mahseer circa '73 with 2/0 Pete Carter a lovely young lady stayed with him on board. She used to wash her tiny pants and hang them in the gents toilets - it drove me wild !! - she was Asamese - forget her name. However it transpied that she had been married to a Brocks Purser - the name of who I cannot really remember. It was true as she showed us the wedding certifcate and photos. Apparently she sailed with him as well and at one time attacked him with a knife - she was abit wild. Apparently whilst in Cal on one trip he abandoned her when she went up north to see her folks and he never told her the ship was sailing.

Does anyone at all recall this story and who the Purser was - I think I know but not saying.

pete
3rd June 2008, 17:20
Us Bank Line lads had a few home comforts as well. Whoo Hoo!!!!!.............pete[=P]

Derek Roger
3rd June 2008, 23:03
Phil ;
No one has talked of the coal Biddies as of yet . We did load coal on Markor in Cal and the poor Biddies ( Young girls doing manual labor ) were always coming to the engine room and asking for "Pani " ( water ) Our Chippie offered one the use of his shower and she would not leave ! ( He too by accounts was quite happy )

Those kids worked very hard and for nothing ! When cargo was finished we all decided to give them a party on the pier with lemonade ; cakes etc . ( whatever the Chief Steward could muster up ) They were delighted and had a ball . Most of them eating and drinking little so they could take the " swag " away to sell and probably make more money than their wages .
I visited Cal about 6or 8 years ago and little had changed at that time .

Regards Derek