Outward Bound Sea School.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
17th March 2005, 16:07
As I am sure many of you are aware The Outward Bound Trust has an Honour Roll going for all of us who survived those days at what was then The Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey in Wales. If we survived that, we then got to go to sea, in my case with Blue Funnel who were one of the Founders of the school.

If you did go to Aberdovy all those years ago and have not made contact with them, please do so, so that you can be placed on the Roll of Honour and receive your certificate. The Pays lousy, but then whats new.[/COLOR] [/B]

Contact Caroline Briggs. Roll of Honour Co-ordinator at The Outward Bound Trust. Hackthorpe Hall. Hackthorpe. Penrith, Cumbria. CA10 2HX. Scotland.

OR BY E MAIL at caroline [email]briggs@outwardbound-uk.org
There are presently around 4500 members with 350 of them overseas. Those of you still in UK would enjoy a trip back in time. Cold Showers in January at 0530 and that wonderful breakfast after the shower and run of a banger on a bit of fried bread. The latter being in question to this day.!!

cheddarnibbles
25th April 2005, 16:43
Capt.Bax, I tried to e-mail Caroline Briggs but the ISP rejected it. My query was......Would I qualify for a certificate? Having "survived" the August 1958 course at the Outward Bound Mountain School in Eskdale; prior to my becoming a Midshipman with Blue Funnel In Nov.1958.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
26th April 2005, 18:14
Yes go ahead and post it and Spread the word.

Capt Bax.

Billyg
1st May 2005, 12:07
Greetings,
Oh those showers, I attended course 158 at Aberdovey in February and afterwards though I really wanted to go in the army I ended up the next 40 yrs or so away at sea in the MN . They were also kind enough when I registered to send me a copy of my course report and I note I threw the javelin 105ft 8inches !!! the weight 30ft.9inches 100 yds 12.2 secs . Ah the folly of the young to be so energetic.I see they are having open days this year there as well but as I now am retired in NZ attendance is not possible and anyway I think doing Cader in my wheelchair would be a little beyond even I. B\). Still best wishes to all those of Beatty watch of that course who are still around and lets hope it carries on for many more years helping the helpless babes as we were ?????
Billyg.

Samsette
3rd July 2006, 05:55
Do not recall any course number, but I was there for the month of May 1947.
Our watch was quartered in the former garage or coach house at the top of the drive, and was known as Foretop, or was it Maintop, or Mizzen.
That run down the hill for the 100 yard sprint along the main road;topped off by the icy cold shower was a real eye-opener that also took your breath away. Loved the map hikes over the hills and the big one from Dolgelley back to base over Cader Idris. I do not recall excelling at any particular athletic event, in spite of Professor Zimmerman's exhortations and guidance. Who remembers Mr Williams the mate on our five day sail aboard the Garibaldi?
Rowing him and the engineer ashore (Abersoch?) each night for a bevvie, after anchoring or weighing each morning with that old hand windlass. Would not have missed it for the world.
I did go to sea, but only for about five years.

Trader
12th July 2006, 13:15
I was at Aberdovey in March 1952. Course 114. I have still got my logbook somewhere.The sailing ship in those days was the "Warspite", a lovely vessel. The "Garibaldi" was still there tied up to the quay, I think that they were awaiting a buyer. We had to hand pump her bilges every day.
Capt. Bax, I think that I sailed with you when you were A.B.. Were you on the "Bellerophon" in 1953 or the "Astynax" in 1954.? The John? Bax that I remember came , I think, from Sittingbourne and was a tall, dark chap. The reason it sticks in my mind is that there were very few southerners sailing in Blue Funnel in those days.

price
12th July 2006, 14:18
I too remember sailing with a John Bax, briefly on one of the 'A' boats in the mid 1950s, the discription fits, tall and dark. I thought he lived somewhere in the Tonbridge/Edenbridge area of Kent. I can remember John kindly giving me a lift on the back of his, I think BSA Golden Flash from the Royal Docks to Tunbridge Wells one evening [ I was temporarily staying in that area] . I intended biking back to London the following morning and we were supposed to rendevous somewhere on the A21 but my bike broke down and I had to leave it at a Garage en route and continue via public transport. I thought John was planning to join the Police Force.
Bruce.

Mike Lindsell
24th July 2006, 07:28
I have tried to contact Caroline Briggs on the following e-mail addresses, and on both occassions my e-mails have been returned basis address unknown :-

(i) carolinebiggs@outwardbound-uk.org

(ii) briggs@outwardbound-uk.org

Anyone know her correct e-mail address?.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike Lindsell

Hugh Ferguson
10th September 2006, 17:12
Hullo Captain Bax,
A few weeks ago I happened to meet a lecturer from Cambridge University and having thought that I may have heard, many years ago, that the son of Doc. Zimmerman had gone to teach there, I asked him if he knew of a Peter Zimmerman who may have adopted an anglicized version of the name, (ie. Carpenter).
He had not, but promised to check on his return to Cambridge. I heard from him in just a few days when he sent me his address and telephone number!
I was right, and I think that both of us were surprised and pleased to be talking to each other no less than 63 years after our last meeting on the forecourt of Bryneithen in 1943.
Peter is still very interested in all things Outward Bound. If you have never met him, or know of his whereabouts, do let me know. Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

John Sansom
7th February 2008, 04:57
Did we ever solve the Caroline Briggs e-mail address problem? As an OBSS "grad" of '50 or '51 (Garibaldi Watch), I'd like to be "certified". I am also trying to track down an old chum yclept Brian Lauer, last know to be aboard the Port Phillip in '52 or '53'. Anybody? Think hard and think way, way back.
John Sansom

Hugh Ferguson
7th February 2008, 19:08
Capt.Bax, I tried to e-mail Caroline Briggs but the ISP rejected it. My query was......Would I qualify for a certificate? Having "survived" the August 1958 course at the Outward Bound Mountain School in Eskdale; prior to my becoming a Midshipman with Blue Funnel In Nov.1958.

Caroline is no longer there.

To view end of course photographs of those who attended two courses in 1954 click on these addresses:-

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49788/ppuser/8509

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49678/ppuser/8509

Trader
9th February 2008, 21:25
Hi Hugh,

Here is a photo of my course at Aberdovey, March 1952. Do you recognise any of the staff.

Trader

John Sansom
10th February 2008, 05:11
Thanks to HF for the heads-up on Caroline B.'s absence (as it were). Guess I'll pursue another course. And thanks to Trader for the memories. I was a Garibaldi Watch member and also sailed on the Warspite. No cold shower memories for me, though. As permanent watch members for the Garibaldi, we cleansed our bodies and froze our souls right off the beach. Blimey!

Hugh Ferguson
10th February 2008, 09:08
John, I have a friend who wants to know the full history of the GARIBALDI.
Can you help with this? Regards, Hugh.

Hugh Ferguson
10th February 2008, 15:44
Hi Hugh,

Here is a photo of my course at Aberdovey, March 1952. Do you recognise any of the staff.

Trader

It's possible that Keith Ford & ? Nelson are there but I couldn't swear to it. The Bursar is there but I cannot recall his name. The absence of Freddie Fuller and Stan Hugill is unexpected as I'm sure they were both there at that time.
There always was a pretty big changeover of staff even during the war on the two courses I attended then. The pictures I posted were of the only two courses I attended as an instructor. I don't think photos were taken during the war.
I'm really surprised that no-one has come forward to say, "I was there, that's me.............!"

Trader
10th February 2008, 17:20
Stan Hugill is 6th. from right. I don't know about Freddie Fuller but he was there somewhere.

Trader

bob nightingale
10th February 2008, 20:12
hi ,i was at aberdovey may 1957. i achieved honours 3.i was and am useless at field sports,bad feet and not to good on running and jumping.claim to fame came 3rd in the 5 mile walk.went to sea as peggy on clytonius paddy proctor was bosun.good memories bob nightingale

John Sansom
11th February 2008, 16:10
Hugh, I wish I did have some sort of history on the Garibaldi. All I have is the memory of a repeated reference to her as "an old Spanish onion ketch." Of course, I also have very fond memories of living aboard and of the daily
hustle(s) to get up the hill to the school proper. I will, however, poke around. Who knows what may pop up?

John Sansom
11th February 2008, 17:21
Yes, Hugh, it's me again. No history on the Garibaldi as yet except a note ciitng her as an old Breton fisherman, christened by Kurt Hahn at Aberdovey in 1943. Then I found a subsequent reference to her sale to a scrap merchant. Apparently, while on tow to Caernarfon she started taking on water which the pumps couldn't handle. She ended up in Pwlleli where the towing crew spent some time toasting the good fortune which had conducted them to a safe harbour.
Well, while the libations went in, the tide went out and the Garibaldi settled onto the harbour bottom. On the next high, she was pumped out enough to haul her across to the current site of the "new" marina where she "rotted away". That's the story, anyway...and because I'm currently eperiencing server poblems, I can't take it any further

Bill Davies
11th February 2008, 18:24
Bob Nightingale,
I was at Aberdovey May 1955. First Trip as Deck Boy in Memnon (11 month trip) and Paddy Proctor was the Bosun. Had the privilege of sailing with Paddy again in December 57 on the 'Antenor' (he had just left 'Clytoneus'). Great Man.

Brgds

Bill

Queenslander
25th April 2008, 17:13
Hi - I did not have the privilge (?) of attending Aberdovey but I heard plenty about it from my father Gordon McMillan who was an instructor there I believe around 1950-51. He was an Australian who came to the UK after doing his apprenticeship with BHP and I believe spent about six months there. Is the Garibaldi a ketch of approx 70 feet loa? ( I used to hear stories of trips up to the Scottish islands and morning swims around the ship instead of the usual cold shower and wasn't sure whether he was making all this up - unfortunately he died many years ago so can't ask him now)

I would be very keen to hear from anyone who may remember him and who could narrow down the time he was there and the truth of the stories!

Trader
25th April 2008, 23:56
Hi - I did not have the privilge (?) of attending Aberdovey but I heard plenty about it from my father Gordon McMillan who was an instructor there I believe around 1950-51. He was an Australian who came to the UK after doing his apprenticeship with BHP and I believe spent about six months there. Is the Garibaldi a ketch of approx 70 feet loa? ( I used to hear stories of trips up to the Scottish islands and morning swims around the ship instead of the usual cold shower and wasn't sure whether he was making all this up - unfortunately he died many years ago so can't ask him now)

I would be very keen to hear from anyone who may remember him and who could narrow down the time he was there and the truth of the stories!
Hi Queenslander,

I was at Aberdovey in March 1952 and don't remember his name, but lets face it, that was 56 years ago and my memory is getting dim.

In my time at Aberdovey the sail training ship was the ketch "Warspite" but the "Garibaldi" was laid up alongside the quay at Aberdovey. I don't remember much about her but I do know that we had to go aboard her every day to pump her out by hand as she was leaking so badly.

Queenslander
27th April 2008, 11:32
Hi Trader

Thanks for the response - In fact the guy in the suit front right (in your '52 photo) looks a bit like him. (Maybe too much hair!) Going to send to my elder brother for a second opinion and also see if he can scan any other photos he may have of Aberdovey and also Blue Funnel ships. Dad got his masters in the UK in Oct 51 and was studying for his extra masters at St John Cass and I understand he worked for Blue Funnel in that time. Anyway they went back to Australia without him getting the EM and around then went to Nauru as Assistant harbour master and then about 55-56 went to sea with British Phosphate Commissioners (apparently during his time as Assistant HM became a bit of a dab hand at the close shore ship handling that made Nauru such an awkward place to load cargo) and thats where he stayed until his death in '75.

I know I have seen photos of Blue Funnel ships so will see what we can dig out.

John Sansom
28th April 2008, 01:01
Hi Queenslander,

I was at Aberdovey in March 1952 and don't remember his name, but lets face it, that was 56 years ago and my memory is getting dim.
In my time at Aberdovey the sail training ship was the ketch "Warspite" but the "Garibaldi" was laid up alongside the quay at Aberdovey. I don't remember much about her but I do know that we had to go aboard her every day to pump her out by hand as she was leaking so badly.
As a member of the Garibaldi watch sometime around '49-'50, I clearly recall being required to turn out at 5:30 a.m. and to hop ashore for a swim off the beach. The tidal flow in the estuary being what it was and is, a swim around the vessel in anything but the slack would present intimations of disaster. Come to think of it, the plunge off the beach had its own horrific aspects; snow on a July morning, for instance. But I wouldn't reach back and change any of it for all the tea...etc.

John Sansom
29th April 2008, 16:28

Hi, Hugh, and I am still poking around in an effort to document some history on the dear old Lady G. Could your friend be Peter Wright, an OBSS alumnus now in California? Peter sent me a snap of the Garibaldi making her way seaward and I am in the process of persuading a commercial artist buddy to convert said visual into a painting for posting with a halfway decent print scheduled for head office, as it were. The artist involved has been out of country for some months and has just newly returned. Perhaps the project can now be expedited.

Hugh Ferguson
29th April 2008, 20:47
No, Peter, it's not Peter Wright.He is in fact, Hilary Tunstall-Behrens, who went to Gordonstoun School and was on the first Outward Bound course as a fifteen year old in 1941. He is first and foremost a musician, but that didn't preclude him from going to sea in the Pamir on her first post-war voyage to Rio de Janeiro. He wrote a book about that voyage simply titled, PAMIR: Alan Villiers wrote the preface.
I just had an E.mail from him today-he is very much looking forward to more information on the Garibaldi.

Naegwl
29th April 2008, 21:02
Hi John,
My name is Nigel and I served my apprentiship as a snotty in the early 60s
unlike you and your collegues I did not attend the School at Aberdyfi, but I think I may be able to help out with the Garibaldi since in the late 1800s or early 1900s my Great Grandfather a Captain William Joseph Hughes is said to have had something to do with both ketches. The Garibaldi is out of Britany
her name at that time was the Odette, she was re-named The Spirit of the Sea, then obviously she became the Garibaldi. Hope this adds to your knowledge.
Yours Naegwl

Hugh Ferguson
29th April 2008, 22:15
Many thanks, Nigel, I've passed this on to Hilary: I'm sure he will be delighted. Hugh

rushie
29th April 2008, 22:38
Does anyone being on a course with my late dad.? His name was Gareth Roberts, and I would imagine he'd have been there in the early 50's...but I know for certain he went.!

Cheers,

Rushie.

Topherjohn
5th May 2008, 21:55
As I am sure many of you are aware The Outward Bound Trust has an Honour Roll going for all of us who survived those days at what was then The Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey in Wales. etc etc ...............
For anyone interested I've just tracked down my old photos of Happy Valley sail training ketch OBSS Aberdovey in 1950s, 4 uploaded at/ next to http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/117252/ppuser/20641
and 2 at http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/116404/ppuser/20641
My first experience on the sea before going to sea as a cadet in 1959.

I went to an open day at Aberdovey in 2004, saw some of the current attendees and facilities. Nowhere near as rough and ready as in the early years of course but nevertheless I'm sure its good experience for the youths of today. The old boatshed on the jetty was about to be pulled down at the time and has since been replaced.

Did the climb up Cadair Idris with an instructor and about 6 other ex-OBSS lads, fantastic weather unlike my course in 1957 when we had snow at Easter to complement the early morning dips in the Dovey!! Hope you enjoyed your course as much as I did!

CaptJim
25th May 2008, 17:29
i was at aberdovey aug. 49 and remember the garibaldi i was told it was once a french onion boat that brought the onions for the `onion johnies` pre 39 remember them?

John Sansom
17th June 2008, 16:36
Thanks to Naegwl and Capt. Jim for their assist on the Garibaldi. I think we'll have to settle for her dual occupations; that is, French fisherman and onion ketch. Whatever. For an all too brief time, she was home to me (and to Terry, George, and a bunch of other lovely lads). Having unearthed (courtesy of Peter Wright in CA) a very elderly snap of the old girl, I am trying to convert same into what might pass for a reasonable painting--a job that has turned out to be somwhat akin to building the pyramids. But it will get done--and I have left the appropriate instructions with my heirs and assigns.

John Sansom
18th June 2008, 12:37
This may be a trifle redundant but... For those still scratching their heads about an Honour Roll certificate contact, I have sucessfully e-mailed
lynsey.brench@outwardbound.org.uk
There we go. Easy, wasn't it?

John Sansom
15th July 2008, 04:54
Yes go ahead and post it and Spread the word.

Capt Bax.

Just a friendly repeat of my June 18 posting:lynsey.brench@outwardbound.org
for honour roll info. Make sure to include your snail mail address.
G'Luck

oceangoer
17th July 2008, 05:25
For those still scratching their heads about an Honour Roll certificate contact, I have sucessfully e-mailed
lynsey.brench@outwardbound.org.uk

I received my Cert the other day. A reasonable certificate until you pass your name and come to the immortal words "the above named person" blah blah blah.

"The above named person" ????????????

Deary me. A certificate designed by a Public Servant without doubt and, as far as I'm concerned, it won't live past the next rubbish collection.

If they're looking for a donation then they'll be disappointed.

John Sansom
28th July 2008, 11:40
Never mind, Punter, although I see your point. As for me, my certificate is framed and sharing space on the wall with plaques and other memorabilia. It`s one of those things that help to take my memory back to the days when ships were there to be sailed and mountains there to be climbed. It also helps to validate my occasional grumblings about the younger generation as I point out that I had to walk to school barefoot thrrough five-foot high snowdrifts and why don`t they shape up. Lovely stuff...as was my time at OBSS.

John Sansom
21st September 2008, 18:52
Oops!!! More gremlins, I'm afraid. Perhaps my last post was successful...but who knows, so I'll try again.

Thanks to Steve who helped me get back into the OBSS/Ships Nostalgia world after a considrable absence due in part to some bizarre internal electronic foul-ups which had a crippling effect on just about all my computer efforts.

Yes, I am still pursuing the Garibaldi's history, although I think we may have collectively gone as far as we can go. With help--because I am still treading carefully with this machine--I'll be able to post some pix of the early fifties lads at work, including a shot or two of the Warspite.

Thanks again, Steve, and it really is good to be back.

tom roberts
21st September 2008, 22:08
Went to Aberdovey Feb 1954 from Indefatigable along with Debroy Ball c,p,o,boy of the Inde,i treated it like a holidaycamp and believe me after the Inde it was, but that attitude was not what Blue Funnel wanted and I was told so in no uncertain terms by a Mr Greenwood when I was interviewed as a deckboy and was sent on my way back to the Sailors Home where Mr Hobbs of the Inde got me a berth on one of Savages coasters it taught a lesson I never forgot, and for the next 15yrs at sea I never went near Blue Flu instead I had a great time on the Pool sailing where I liked Wonder where D Ball is? Ithink he was from the I.O.M no regrets about my time at Aberdovey maybe if I took it serious things would have turned out a lot different.

Hugh Ferguson
25th September 2008, 12:12
I wonder if any one of these faces could still be recognised by a member, or even by one of those in the "thumbnail".

John Sansom
25th September 2008, 13:10
Sorry, Hugh, no recognition joy on the pic of what looks lile a crew change from tender to Warspite. It did, however, trigger a fond memory or two. My personal memory of said changeover involved some very "adventurous" moments indeed, whereas the photo indicates that things are going quite smoothly. In fact, one lad has a hand outboard almost casually, and there appears to be a significant dearth of life jackets.

Hugh Ferguson
25th September 2008, 18:55
I've had this in my archives for many years. I would imagine it to have been taken in the Prince Louis/Garibaldi era.

John Sansom
21st December 2008, 13:25
Well, here's another Christmas to add to the ever lengthening list...and here's absolutely best wishes to Ships Nostalgia members, old shipmates, and yompers, come to think of it....and to all their families, too.

G'bless(K)

John Sansom
22nd January 2009, 18:27
To all who are interested...I guess the old Garibaldi must remain something of a mystery. Spanish onion ketch or Breton fisherman, she is now a memory--towed to an ignominious end on a distant mudflat, and I doubt there's anything left of her now.

I'd be happy to be told that I am wrong....pleaae.

DAVMARSH7573
11th March 2009, 12:35
I Have Just Discovered This Amazing Web Site About The Outward Bound Sea School At Aberdovey That I Attended In 1953 As A Trainee Catering Boy For The Blue Funnel Line.I Was 15 At That Time And It Was My First Time Away From Home Apart For The Three Months I Spent On The Conway Before Being Sent On To Aberdovey.what Fantastic Times They Were Although We Didn't Fully Appreciate It At The Time.i Was Assigned To Fisher Watch Along With Other Blue Funnel Lads. George Young,Ronnie Atow, & Bert Marriot. Where Are They Now? I Am Retired And Living In The Costwolds With My Seafaring Days Well Behind Me.it Would Be Great To Hear From Any Lads Who Remember Me From Those Days.we Sailed Together Afterwards On Ixion,Elpenor & Alcinous.

TonyAllen
11th March 2009, 16:47
Dave Marsh, I was on the Elpenor 2 trips july 55 to oct then nov to feb 56 then the Ixion march to july 56 do these dates match yours, Tony Allen

DAVMARSH7573
14th March 2009, 10:03
Dave Marsh, I was on the Elpenor 2 trips july 55 to oct then nov to feb 56 then the Ixion march to july 56 do these dates match yours, Tony Allen

Hi Tony thanks for you reply to my notes regarding Aberdovey & Blue Funnel days.I only did the one trip on Elpenor and it was not one of my more happy reccolections ,it was one of those unfortunate cases where my face just didn't fit in.It was later in the year that I sailed on her so we probably didn't meet. I was saloon steward,enjoyed the job but left her to join the Alcinous a very happy ship that I remained with for three trips.I left at the time of the Suez crisis when the canal was no longer navigable. From there I joined up with the CPR line.But my Blue Funnel days were the best times of my seagoing career.Regards from David

Hugh Ferguson
14th March 2009, 11:08
Hi, Hugh, and I am still poking around in an effort to document some history on the dear old Lady G. Could your friend be Peter Wright, an OBSS alumnus now in California? Peter sent me a snap of the Garibaldi making her way seaward and I am in the process of persuading a commercial artist buddy to convert said visual into a painting for posting with a halfway decent print scheduled for head office, as it were. The artist involved has been out of country for some months and has just newly returned. Perhaps the project can now be expedited.

No, John, he's not Peter Wright: he's Hilary Tunstal-Behrens, ex Gordonstoun. He was on the first course at Aberdovey. Good luck with your project! Regards, Hugh.

DAVMARSH7573
19th March 2009, 15:27
As I am sure many of you are aware The Outward Bound Trust has an Honour Roll going for all of us who survived those days at what was then The Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey in Wales. If we survived that, we then got to go to sea, in my case with Blue Funnel who were one of the Founders of the school.

If you did go to Aberdovy all those years ago and have not made contact with them, please do so, so that you can be placed on the Roll of Honour and receive your certificate. The Pays lousy, but then whats new.[/COLOR] [/B]

Contact Caroline Briggs. Roll of Honour Co-ordinator at The Outward Bound Trust. Hackthorpe Hall. Hackthorpe. Penrith, Cumbria. CA10 2HX. Scotland.

OR BY E MAIL at caroline [email]briggs@outwardbound-uk.org
There are presently around 4500 members with 350 of them overseas. Those of you still in UK would enjoy a trip back in time. Cold Showers in January at 0530 and that wonderful breakfast after the shower and run of a banger on a bit of fried bread. The latter being in question to this day.!!
I attended the outwardbound sea school in 1953.I was sent there as a trainee catering boy in Sep. to Nov I completed the course in Oct.Would love to hear from any lads who remember me from those days.

DAVMARSH7573
19th March 2009, 15:35
Hi Hugh,

Trader

I did the course in Oct 1953.here ar are a few photos that have survived over the years.Perhaps someone may recognise themselves and get in touch.

geoff johnson (lofty)
23rd April 2009, 08:25
I was at Aberdovey in October 1947course67
I sent an Email to lynseybrench@outwardbound.org.uk but as yet has had no reply. Geoff Johnson ( Lofty)

Hugh Ferguson
25th April 2009, 18:26
No, Dave, I don't recognise any. I was away at sea (2nd mate Glenroy) in March 1952. I was an instructor at O.B. late 1953 but cannot remember the numbers of the few courses I was there for. Regards, Hugh.

geoff johnson (lofty)
3rd May 2009, 07:26
John Sansom, If ever a photo of the GARIBALDI ever turns up I would
love to have one.
Maybe someone else has one ? or knows where I can get one.
Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

geoff johnson (lofty)
6th May 2009, 07:46
Hugh Ferguson, I have just been looking at Lloyds register of British and
Foreign ships and I found the name GARIBALDI which can be sent to you
for a fee together will its details. Unfortunately I cand find it again,maybe
you might have better luck. Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

Hugh Ferguson
6th May 2009, 21:22
Many thanks for that, Lofty, I'll see if I can. Regards, Hugh

sidsal
8th May 2009, 09:22
Can I suggest that some HMS Conway chaps may have pictures of the Garibaldi - they have a website where, I'm sure a message could be sent.
In 1942 I was on the Conway in the Menai Straits and during that time they sent parties for OB courses to Aberdovey but at an extra charge to the fees on the Conway. My parents were struggling to pay for the Conway ( having been advised to send me there rather than go straight to sea at 15) and they couldn't afford the fee so I did'.nt have the experience.
The lads who went enjoyed it immensly but said it was tougher on the Conway !! Sorry lads !

sidsal
8th May 2009, 17:01
Lofty:
Coincidence :
In the post today I received for a friend Bill Wood ( retd Mersey pilot) a copy of Sea Breezes from 2005 in which there was an article by me on life on the Conway during ww2. Included in the srticle is a picture of the Garibali under sail with " Sea Beezes archive" below it. I would think that S Breezes would provide a copy at a reasonable price !
Sid

geoff johnson (lofty)
11th May 2009, 07:33
Today I received my OBSS Certificate from Lynsey Brench

the email address as posted in threads
lynsey,brench@outwardbound.org.uk
is the one to use. Regards Geoff Johnson(Lofty)

John Sansom
19th May 2009, 01:14
Hi, Lofty....I do have a pic of the Garibaldi...and I`ll get a few copies run off for mailing purposes. My scanner has been playing hell with everything for the past considerable while. Ergo, little activity at my end. There's a good chance I have another option open...so check your psersonal messages.
JohnS

geoff johnson (lofty)
19th May 2009, 11:01
John Sansom,
I have checked my personal messages and see that you have picture of the GARIBALDI.

If you want my postal address let me know and I will sent it to you also.
Regards Geoff Johnson(Lofty)

K urgess
19th May 2009, 11:37
Goeff,
I suggest you send a PM to the member with your email address enclosed.
Publishing your email address on the internet could lead to an inbox full of spam so we discourage them in open posts.

geoff johnson (lofty)
19th May 2009, 11:57
Marconi Sahib,
Thank you for your advice. I am new at this and are still learning. What is a PM?
Geoff Johnson(Lofty).

geoff johnson (lofty)
19th May 2009, 12:05
Marconi Sahib, If PM stands for Private Message, How do I send it?
Geoff Johnson(Lofty)

K urgess
19th May 2009, 12:58
Go to the very top of this page, Geoff.
Click on private messages at the top right.
Or click on the member's username above their post and select private message.
Cheers
Kris

Linda1954
25th May 2009, 19:33
my dad alan clegg was instructor 1954/59 does anyone remember? parents were great friends of stan and bronwyn hugill. he left to deliver a boat 'lindy lu' to the canaries. later returned to outward bound burghead as head seamanship.

oceangoer
25th May 2009, 23:01
my dad alan clegg was instructor 1954/59 does anyone remember?

I remember him there Boxing Day 1958 to end January 1959. Snow, ice, Cader Idris. Delightful man.

Linda1954
26th May 2009, 15:55
thanks for that Punter. he went up to Burghead O.B. 1964/74 as head seamanship, wonderful memories

geoff johnson (lofty)
8th June 2009, 07:19
Thank you to all concerned I now have my photo of the GARIBALDI it was
sent to me by John Sansom and takes pride of place amongst my other
ships photos. From downunder, Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

colin watson
19th August 2009, 19:16
I notice most comments relate to Aberdovey - I was at the OBSS Moray [Burghead] in May, 1962 and had a eye opener! Early morning cold showers, capsizing canoes in the Moray Firth and the expedition was spectacular- three days canoeing from Ullapool south then three days on the Prince Louis and caught in a storm [allegedly storm force 10]. We were under guidance of Commander RL Body and managed to find safe anchorage in Kyleakin. When we reached Oban we featured on the front page of the Oban Times. At Kinlochleven we handed the Prince Louis over to another watch and walked from there back to Burghead - character building they said !

DAVID HAMMONDS
25th October 2009, 02:33
I lived in Aberdovey, now Aberdyfi, 1942-1962. My bedroom overlooked hte coal wharf and east end of thelanding stage.
The vessel was Golden "Valley" not "Happy Valley". It followed, I think, from Garabaldi, before that (1949) "Warspite", before that "Prince Louis" which went to Moray. Golden Valley was in the film "Blue Peter", 1954 directed by Wolf Rilla, location shots in Aberdovey. I saw Duke of Edinburgh pass though village in spring of 1949 on way to OBSS where he broke the ground record for the javelin.

The bursar in the photos was Commander Tennant.

Topherjohn
25th October 2009, 13:28
I lived in Aberdovey, now Aberdyfi, 1942-1962. My bedroom overlooked hte coal wharf and east end of thelanding stage.
The vessel was Golden "Valley" not "Happy Valley". It followed, I think, from Garabaldi, before that (1949) "Warspite", before that "Prince Louis" which went to Moray. Golden Valley was in the film "Blue Peter", 1954 directed by Wolf Rilla, location shots in Aberdovey. I saw Duke of Edinburgh pass though village in spring of 1949 on way to OBSS where he broke the ground record for the javelin.

David
Thanks for correction, memory a bit hazy after 51 years so I bow to your superior knowledge. I've amended the name on the photos in the library.

Regards - Chris

price
25th October 2009, 13:35

Hello David; I remember you well, I don't get back to Aberdyfi much these days, but will send you a private message, probably not today.
regards Bruce Price.

geoff johnson (lofty)
28th November 2009, 06:21
When I went to OBSS in1947 I sent there by the Marine Society and they had on their receipt" Warspite"training ship Do you have a photo ? is this the same ship that was at Aberdovey? Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

geoff johnson (lofty)
9th December 2009, 06:25
When I was at OBSS Aberdovey in 1947 the training ship was the GARIBALDI
The information in SN Gallery about the Warspite says it was taken out of service during the war in 1940 and went to the wreckers, if this is so it could
not have been at Aberdovey in 1949 Any comments ?
Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

DAVID HAMMONDS
16th January 2010, 17:04
If you recall the Garibaldi in 1947, then it preceded the "Warspite" which was definiley there in 1949 when the Duke of Edinburgh visited the OBBSS. I believe Alan Villers was there then as its skipper. He later wrote a book about the OBSS and used the OB motto as its title "And not to yield" See ABE second hand book offer quoted below.

AND NOT TO YIELD Villiers Alan
Bookseller: O'Donoghue Maritime Books (Co.Wicklow, ., Ireland)
Bookseller Rating: 3-star rating
Quantity Available: 1
Book Description: Hodder & Stoughton, 1953. 1st Ed. 8vo. 160pp, 1 illus, 14 diagrams, illus, dj sl chipped, sl foxing on edges, o/w Good. A story of the Outward Bound ketch 'Warspite'. Bookseller Inventory # 002477

UNQUOTE

Also Villiers Wikipedia entry says "Cadets at the Outward Bound Sea School in Wales remember him as skipper of their training ship "Warspite".

Trader
16th January 2010, 17:55
I was there in 1952 and the Warspite was the training ship then. The Garibaldi was laid up alongside in Aberdovey. One of our jobs was to pump out the bilges on Garibaldi every day.
Alec.

geoff johnson (lofty)
18th January 2010, 07:19
Thanks Guys, for the info on the WARSPITE, This was a differant one to the
one that was of the Marine Soc. Are there any photos around of her ?
All the best from downunder Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

Peter Trodden
3rd February 2010, 14:25
I'm ex,Aberdovey,Jan,Feb,1955 course146,Rodney. My query, looking at my photos from that period and before posting on this site,I Was trying to decypher some of the signatures on the back. I've only met one guy from that photo. Two lads where going on as Midshipmen in Blue Flue,and I wonder what became of them. 1st, Ian Wilkenson,ex Merchent Taylors. Grosby L-pool 2nd Mike Else. Maybe someone on this site has shipped out with one of them. t.t.f.n.

Tom Inglis
12th February 2010, 15:24
Hi Peter, I was at sea with Blue Funnel 1957 to 1968 and I sailed with Ian Wilkinson on the Agamemnon on the Singapore Aussie run in 1959-60. He was 4th Mate and I was a Middy. He had a Stevedoring business in Liverpool in the late 70's. I have seen him off and on since and for about the last 10 years he was Harbour Master in Port Stanley [Falklands] He retired last year and is now living in Northumberland somewhere.
regards
Tom Inglis

Peter Trodden
14th February 2010, 12:13
Hi Tom, Thanks for that info, on Ian. I often wonder what became of all the young men in those photos,they are posted on this site. Someone may see them and answer. 10yrs in Stanley, who did he kill ?

"Paddy" walsh
15th March 2010, 02:35
I have really enjoyed reading about the Outward Bound School at Aberdovey. In 1960 ( Jan) I was sent to the Mountain School at Eskdale in Cumberland. Quite a shock as had assumed that I would go to Aberdovey given my sailing background but good old Blue Funnel decided on Mountains for me! I arrived by train later than most having traveled over on the B&I ferry from Dublin. Soon worked out that the other 3 forlorn 16 year olds on the platform were headed to the same place. Our ride arrived in a 1934 Rolls Royce ( fitted with a straight 6 perkins diesel ) - knew I should have been an engineer!. Anyway after a wild but fun ride in the night to Eskdale in the middle of the wilds I found myself in HANSON Patrol, god ! how they loved that sort of "stuff".
All a great eyeopener to me a "paddy" but as luck would have it I managed to upset the "patrol" leader the very first night, so was on his list from then on - suddenly it seemed like school again !.
I have a picture of us all and made good friends with a fellow B.F.Midi from Hong Kong. He lived in the "drying room" when he could, as suffered awfully from the cold - wish I could remember his name as we sailed together later in life and his father was in the Gurkha reg in HK . We had some great nights in the mess there with me trying not to sound Irish...fat chance. Anyway many tales to be told of those two weeks and one day soon I will but it all down on paper for fun and my grandkids. Jimmy Dunn are you out there.
I had many happy years in Holts before moving to the Offshore work area and then Canada, now just retired from Amoco(BP) always grateful to AH and all I was taught by the fine Masters i sailed with....If anyone recalls me from Eskdale it would be great to hear from them , -Mal Walsh known as as both "Paddy" and "Spike" over the years in Blue Flu. thanks all for the memories.(Thumb)

jonnyround
18th December 2012, 13:25
I went to Aberdovey in 1966 arrived on the day of the World Cup final which was the only game I did not see. Spent 6 weeks there and climbed Cader etc. Left and went directly to the Kumba in Liverpool for my first trip and sailed on Oct 8th.

I have attached a copy of a photograph of my watch at Aberdovey buit for the life of me I cannot remember its name.

JIMWILL47
12th May 2013, 16:25
I was at Aberdovey summer 1950

JIMWILL47
12th May 2013, 21:59
When I was at OBSS Aberdovey in 1947 the training ship was the GARIBALDI
The information in SN Gallery about the Warspite says it was taken out of service during the war in 1940 and went to the wreckers, if this is so it could
not have been at Aberdovey in 1949 Any comments ?
Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

I sailed on Warspite summer 1950 & am looking for a photo

JIMWILL47
12th May 2013, 23:05
I had some very memorable times at AOBS summer 1950 5.30 morning dips in the Dovey, assault course, climbing Cadre Idris, i was in the hut on top of the bank on the left as you went up the drive going in,sailing on the Warspite to Abershoc, great times, i was only 15 was on the Conway first, i left Aberdovey August 1950 & went to sea on the Blue Funnel, i have attached a couple of photo's34964

Trader
13th May 2013, 00:18
Thanks for the photos JIMWILL, they bring back a few memories for me as I was there in 1952 and also went to sea with Blue Funnel as deck boy.

Alec.

JIMWILL47
13th May 2013, 09:16

my course summer 1950

bob nightingale
13th May 2013, 10:33
Hi JimWill47,

re post 82.
No super dooper trainers then,just go ashore shoes.

Cheers, Bob.

Hugh Ferguson
13th May 2013, 10:53
Many thanks, JIMWILL47

I did 4 courses there in all; first was around September 1943; another in July 1944; and as an instructor in November & December 1953.

Hugh Ferguson
13th May 2013, 11:05
Caroline is no longer there.

To view end of course photographs of those who attended two courses in 1954 click on these addresses:-

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49788/ppuser/8509

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49678/ppuser/8509

The date, I feel sure, should read November & December 1953 not 1954. I am seated 8th from left in 2nd url..

To the left of me is an instructor called Nelson and left again is instructor Keith Ford-I cannot remember anymore names.

Barrie Youde
8th September 2013, 18:53
THE BELLS OF ABERDOVEY

The Bells of Aberdovey had a purity of sound
When I was sixteen years of age. A youth at Outward Bound.
The purpose was to toughen up. It didn’t make me tough.
No more do I seek mountaineering. Then was quite enough.
The view from Cader Idris was a wonder to behold:
And terror on Plynlimon, likewise: lost in mist: and cold.

At Sea-school? Mountaineering? This, in principle, seemed odd.
But go I did. And onwards. Ever upwards did I plod.
In case, it seemed, like Shackleton, one day I’d lose my ship
And need to owe survival to a mountaineering trip.
I didn’t. Though to Shackleton I’m first to give salute.
At sixteen tender years of age my life was yet in fruit.

A sailor I would be and to that end it taught me much.
(A rowlock might be oar-lock and might even be a crutch.)
Dipping lug and standing-lug. I learned the difference then.
Stan Hugill was the Bosun. Of the last of sailormen.
Upon the Dyfi Estuary and Aberdovey Bar,
In preparation for the sea. The goal: ambition far.

To sea in Golden Valley. A converted MFV.
A gaff-rigged ketch. The sea-borne stretch. This was the stuff for me.
The weather then was perfect. ‘Twas a glass-like holiday.
No toughness was required of me. And neither did I pay.
And here was pure enjoyment, learning seamanship and knots:
As others (lucky few) might have acquired on Daddy’s yachts.

Reality set in but later, when the course was over.
On learning the significance of Mean High Water Dover:
And other things my Dad had told me, in my childhood days.
Reality set in. And quickly. No more childhood ways.
For here was actuality. Where once I’d simply plod,
I found myself apprentice-bound, in service under God.

Sole Master after God! That was the role of Captain Gould.
Commander. SS Jason. With an iron will he ruled!
And I, still merely sweet sixteen, was not his favourite being.
My eyes were opened wide at all the new things there for seeing.
Authority (no more no less) was what he exercised.
And bafflement today is that I ever was surprised!

So, what did Aberdovey teach me, that I learned but then?
Apart from ships and sealing-wax and things of sailormen?
And mountains with their peaks and valleys? Life in sleeping bags?
And in some arcane etiquette in signalling with flags?
And visiting the Light at Bardsey? Seeing there the calm.
Would life have been much different if I’d worked upon a farm?

No, it wouldn’t. That’s the point. I learned it in my youth.
In days of innocence long gone, I learned to see the truth.
The details of a sailor’s life, the names of parts of sail,
In context are important; but at large are mere detail.
Nothing matters but the truth; and care for fellow men.
By the Bells of Aberdovey, I would do it all again.

BY

PaulJBaty
3rd February 2014, 16:15
Hello all.

I drove into here whilst visiting my aunt back in May.
The place was busy with modern day outward-bound kids enjoying themselves.

My Dad passed away young (50) and I never really got the opportunity to discuss his travels and the early days which included the training down in Aberdovey and then he worked with Blue Funnel.
My Mum says the P ships rings a bell? Pelius/Persius.

Long shot I know because I'm totally guessing at years but I reckon 1950'ish My Dad Gerry Baty would have been there.
Our family are originally from Birkenhead.

If anyone has any recollection then please get in touch as I'm trying to get an idea of where he went to etc.

Thanks.
Paul.

ccurtis1
3rd February 2014, 16:41
You have missed your vocation Barrie. Another excellent missive

Topherjohn
3rd February 2014, 17:12
Hello all.

I drove into here whilst visiting my aunt back in May.
The place was busy with modern day outward-bound kids enjoying themselves.

My Dad passed away young (50) and I never really got the opportunity to discuss his travels and the early days which included the training down in Aberdovey and then he worked with Blue Funnel.
My Mum says the P ships rings a bell? Pelius/Persius.

Long shot I know because I'm totally guessing at years but I reckon 1950'ish My Dad Gerry Baty would have been there.
Our family are originally from Birkenhead.

If anyone has any recollection then please get in touch as I'm trying to get an idea of where he went to etc.

Thanks.
Paul.

Paul
I was at OBSS Aberdovey in 1957 but did not know your father. I suggest you contact the OBSS via their (click here >>) website (http://outwardboundgenerations.org.uk/)and they will probably be happy to pinpoint the date of your father's course.
Good luck - Chris Clarke

PaulJBaty
3rd February 2014, 17:14
Paul
I was at OBSS Aberdovey in 1957 but did not know your father. I suggest you contact the OBSS via their (click here >>) website (http://outwardboundgenerations.org.uk/)and they will probably be happy to pinpoint the date of your father's course.
Good luck - Chris Clarke

Cheers Chris. (Thumb)

Barrie Youde
3rd February 2014, 17:47
#92.

Many thanks, CC!

Missed my vocation? Perhaps. Perhaps not. On the whole, perhaps not!