CEGB funnel markings

anthony lear
29th June 2007, 15:04
Can Anyone Confirm If The Letters Cegb Ever Actually Appeared On Their Ships Funnels. I Have Shots Of Various Ships With The Bea And Cea Logos And Even The Original Lpc One But All The Shots Of The Later Vessels Show A Black Topped Red Funnel Sometimes With A Couple Of Black Bands But No Lettering.
Attached Is My Self Made File Cover Which Shows All-i Think-the Various Changes.
Also The Only House Flag I Can Find Which Was For The Bea Fleet.

Peter4447
29th June 2007, 15:27
Hi Anthony

I cannot confirm that the letters CEGB appeared on the funnels although I have a sneaking suspicion that they did. Certainly a lot of changes took place in the 1950's and I can confirm the houseflag changed to a very attractive one indeed in CEA/CEGB days featuring a tricolour and a lion in the centre.

Peter4447(Thumb)

anthony lear
29th June 2007, 15:47
Peter,many Thanks For The Quick Reply And The Flag.i've Knocked Up A Flag For My Files; Which Is As Near As I Can Get From Your Scan:
Looks Ok. What Do You Think
Tony

Peter4447
29th June 2007, 15:56
Excellent Tony. Unfortunately I have got this flag in a couple of other reference books but the one I scanned was the clearest.
Peter

Pat McCardle
29th June 2007, 18:43
CEGB were on the funnels of the BEACON, CASTLE, DOLPHIN, GARRISON POINT'S IN THE 70's 80's.

Go to Coasters in gallery & type in Dolphin Point

Bruce Carson
29th June 2007, 19:14
The lion on the flag is as in Peter's scan--he, or she, looked decidedly ill nourished and not the well fed beastie on the reconstruction.
I've a couple of references from the early sixties.
One is a plain red with a black top, the other the same with two black bands on the red, a la Cunard.
I am almost postitive that, in the last month or so, a member posted a picture of a collier with the CEGB initials superimposed upon the funnel, but I just can't seem to find it.

Bruce

Pat McCardle
29th June 2007, 20:25
The lion on the flag is as in Peter's scan--he, or she, looked decidedly ill nourished and not the well fed beastie on the reconstruction.
One is a plain red with a black top, the other the same with two black bands on the red, a la Cunard.
I am almost postitive that, in the last month or so, a member posted a picture of a collier with the CEGB initials superimposed upon the funnel, but I just can't seem to find it.

Bruce

See above post Bruce(Thumb) The a la Cunard colours were worn by the likes of Cliff Quay, James Rowan, Sir William Walker et al

Bruce Carson
29th June 2007, 20:37
Pat, thanks.
I read your first line and I missed the second.

As I age, my attention span must be getting shorter and shorter.

Best
Bruce

anthony lear
30th June 2007, 06:47
I am almost positive that, in the last month or so, a member posted a picture of a collier with the CEGB initials superimposed upon the funnel, but I just can't seem to find it.

Bruce

I've redone the flag with a half-starved beast. Any better?
With regard to the funnel lettering it appears as though the older ex CEA vessel just had the old logo painted out and left plain red, whilst the newer vessels -Beacon Point etc- got the CEGB logo

Bruce Carson
1st July 2007, 02:46
Hello Anthony
That's better.
I don't why lions are sometimes emaciated on British corporate artwork.
I remember the British Railways beast stretching over a wheel. That poor animal appeared not to have eaten in a couple of weeks.
Or perhaps it was subsisting entirely on BR grub.

http://www.bethanyjunction.co.uk/Lion&wheel%20colour.gif

Bruce C

anthony lear
1st July 2007, 09:29
Bruce,
you may well be right about the BR lion and BR grub The well fed beast was cut out of a Clan Line flag which, following on, could well mean they were good feeders.....but somehow I doubt it.
tony