Ronde

Treboat
1st July 2007, 00:24
Just browsing through the Fyffes part to see if there was any mention of the "Ronde" - I was on her for a trip at the end of 1970 beginning of 1971, interesting time. Anyone remember her?

Treboat
1st July 2007, 18:38
Have now noted posts from Willimac, Jim S and Bill Robo below. Interesting ship, Ronde, she had been designed for concrete ballast we were told, for the US coast. When they changed to running her across the Pond, the concrete went and the DB tanks used for the boiler water. Trouble was that by the time she reached the Western Approaches the boiler water was used up and the GM calculated as negative...in fact she only showed a zero GM in that she adopted an angle of loll if you used more than 5 or 6 degrees of rudder too quickly. If you used 10 or 15 starboard you had to do 10 or 15 port to get her back upright again. Up the Channel she would be a bit hairy when at about 20 knots with the tide and any big alterations necessary.

There was an amazing Sperry gyro (1945 built) and I recall a bunch of Dr. Who style big flashing valves in a cupoard off the wheelhouse. I think I was worried that we only had one or two spares.

Also a wonderful old Loran set that I never got to grips with.

The Mate paid off in New Orleans for an emergency operation, I think it was a perforated ulcer; so I had a quick promotion.

Difficult ship to save money on, especially when there were passengers in the bar. Spent some time laid up off Golfito awaiting orders later in the trip and I wasn't sure if we'd get back to Europe in time for my wedding but we did. One of the lads came to my stag do. His name was Robbo - could it be you Bill Robbo??

gdynia
2nd July 2007, 05:31
Treboat heres abit info

Ronde 1945 ex- San Jose, 1969 transferred from United Mail SS Co., NY and renamed Ronde, 1976 scrapped.

Theres also a photo of a vessel called San Jose with Fyffes Fummel Markings on www.photoship.co.uk which could be the one you are looking for

R58484956
2nd July 2007, 16:30
SS San Jose 7074 tons built 1945. 433.0 x 61.2 x 15.9. 4 steam turbines Dr geared to two screw shafts. Turbs built by De Laval ST Co; Trenton NJ.
DF,ESD,GyC, Radar. Cruiser stern. Built by Gulf SB Co; Chickasaw Ala.
Code flags ANZW. American flag. Registered New York Owned by United Mail SS Co;(United Fruit Company as Managers.)

Treboat
5th July 2007, 00:29
Treboat heres abit info

Ronde 1945 ex- San Jose, 1969 transferred from United Mail SS Co., NY and renamed Ronde, 1976 scrapped.

Theres also a photo of a vessel called San Jose with Fyffes Fummel Markings on www.photoship.co.uk which could be the one you are looking for

Thanks Gydnia looks like an interesting site. All the best, Treboat

Alex Salmond
12th April 2011, 11:58
Hi,
Just found this old post and thought I should reply I was on the Ronde from sept.72 to march 73 running from Albany in upstate New York to Places like Cortez in Honduras .La ceiba ,Jamaica and all over ,some trip, we had one of the strangest crews I ever sailed with there was guys from all over the UK and they just didnt get on there was even two guys sharing a cabin from Belfast the only trouble was one was from the Falls road and the other was from the Shankhill Road if you knew Belfast then you would know the trouble that caused ,we paid off in Southhampton after 6 months and I believe that was the first time she had been to the UK as has been mentioned she came from United Fruit ,all went well until we were just about to tie up at first light when it was noticed that someone had run all these old knickers we had souvenired up by the house flag,
Cheers,Alex.

baz140
17th February 2013, 18:02
was on the roatan as a catering boy then stayed on the m boats for about 12 years ended up as cook fineshed my last trip with the lay ups in spain good days ?