Crew List No. 1

flyer682
17th March 2005, 20:04
Here's a blast from the past. From the "Cunarder" magazine of Winter 1974.
More can be posted if interested.

At least one of our members is listed here!!

Jan Hendrik
18th March 2005, 03:30
Where is the member, David?
Which ship?

R798780
18th March 2005, 08:02
Nice one again, brings all the names back - again. After a long trip on Luxor they sent me to Lumen with promotion me half way through.

Thanks
Hugh

flyer682
18th March 2005, 11:07
Where is the member, David?
On LUMEN - Chief Officer H.R. Shuttleworth
:)

Bill Olaman
25th March 2005, 17:35
Brings back a few memories from way back.
Hugh can probably answer the following.
What happened to Dave Woolfenden? Capt of Lucigen when I was second trip cadet. Made us do "Rules" every night for 6 months even when going ashore. When orals time came around we knew the rules backwards and would be forever in his debt.
Remember he nicknamed me, Mike Collins (the other cadet) and the 4/O "Pinky, Perky and Pooh.

mcook
20th April 2005, 17:13

Here's another member listed- M.K.Cook, Cunard Champion. (Just joined the forum).

Does anyone remember when they (Cunard) sent some big sticky-backed
plastic type letters to be stuck on the side of the accommodation. There were 3 parts each with two letters; CU, NA, RD. Which C/O got into trouble for putting them up in the order NA, CU, RD?

Malcolm Cook

flyer682
20th April 2005, 23:52
Radio Officer M.K. Cook !! I have a couple more of these to post - I wonder if you'll appear again?
As for the NA CU RD, I think that's brilliant - he certainly had a sense of humour. :jestera:

Marcus Cardew
5th May 2005, 18:32
Ho Flyer 682!,
If you've got the same Winter 74 magazine as I have, then on the front and back pages, you'll see the photo of me as 2/0 of Port Nicholson(wearing portugese long bobbly wolly hat) and 4/0 Steve Collet. The pictures were taken on New Years Day in the Tay Estuary, whilst we were alongside in Dundee. Apparantly, according to the D.C. Thompson photographer who took the pix, we were the only sign of life either in town or on the water, probably as most of the natives had only just turned in. Pretty soon afterwards, I remember we had make a smart exit, as some welders had contrived to set fire to the Oil Jetty ahead of us...

Last I heard of the Mini-Nick was about 6 years later she had been spotted in Sydney harbour, wearing a Bermuda Rig, which would have been a lot less exciting to sail than our Cunard Brocklebank dust sheet Lateen rig. By the time the 'Comic' came out, I was back on the Atlantic Conveyor as senior 2/O......

R798780
5th May 2005, 19:13
Here's another member listed- M.K.Cook, Cunard Champion. (Just joined the forum).

Does anyone remember when they (Cunard) sent some big sticky-backed
plastic type letters to be stuck on the side of the accommodation. There were 3 parts each with two letters; CU, NA, RD. Which C/O got into trouble for putting them up in the order NA, CU, RD?

Malcolm Cook

We got those awful bits on Luminetta on the Chilean coast. Not content with one each side Colin (Gio) Webster put one above the wheelhouse windows. Just needed a number and you had a “United” bus. We did run a stopping service up and down that coast. When we were lucky we got a three day run south from Arica, otherwise we could touch three ports in a day.

flyer682
7th May 2005, 08:10
Hi Marcus!
Definitely the Winter 1974 mag, but story and photos are inside the mag and not on the covers.
Interesting you saw "Mini Nick" in Sydney, must have got left there by "Big Nick" sometime. Wonder whatever became of it. Doug Rogers - keep your eyes open!
Dare I scan the photo of you and put it here???? :eek:

Marcus Cardew
7th May 2005, 14:05
Hi Flyer682,
I Obviously need retraining... My copy has been folded back for 30+ years... Can't tell inside from out anymore..
These two images are re-printed from the Cunarder magazine of Winter 1974, I have tried but failed to contact the Editor with a request to use the contents. I assume that copyright is vested in the magazine, and because "material may be freely reproduced with or without acknowledgement", I've added acknowledgements to the images. If anyone has a problem, please let me know, so that we can discuss this.

flyer682
10th May 2005, 11:25
A very trim looking little craft and well done to both of you for building it - in trying conditions so it would seem. A great story. A pity it seems to have disappeared without trace.
The question has to be asked though.........have you still got that hat????

Marcus Cardew
11th May 2005, 20:30
Ah Well! The Hat. I think it maybe somewhere at the bottom of my Sea Chest.. It gave several years of good service on the Western Ocean. I'll see if I can locate it and update the photo's

Cunarder
19th October 2005, 13:36
I must have been on leave at the time.....
Alan Marsden

EBenarty
11th February 2006, 22:21
Are you the David Shephard who was with me on a pentagon rig in Invergordon about 1990 -You Chief Engineer and me Stability Officer ??
Billy Sinclair

flyer682
12th February 2006, 08:44
Sorry, not me. I share my name with a certain cricket umpire!

AlexBooth
19th January 2007, 03:40
Anyone know of a link where one can sight copies with officers listings for the early mid 70's ?

Derek Roger
19th January 2007, 16:16
Hugh ;
See you were with Phil Owen on Lumen ; was that Phils 1st Command ?? Also see Ben Page was chief ! The Wild Yorkshireman I I sailed with Ben when he was 2nd on the Lucigen .

I also see Brian Pert was chief on Mahsud with George Symonds as Captain ( I left the vessel in Aquaba in 1974 and Brian took over as Chief ) I then rejoined in Bordeaux ; did the coastal and one more deep sea as far as Cape Town ( I was doulbling up / training new Chief Engineers in UMS operations ) That was my last trip to sea before going to Canada to Stand Bye the tankers building in Davies Lauzon .

Frank P
19th January 2007, 16:34
David,
were there no AB's/deckcrew or oilers/motormen on those ships?

Frank

R798780
19th January 2007, 19:01
Derek, I don't know or can't remember if Lumen was Phil Owen's first command. Strange chap Ben Page, and not altogether helpful to a brand new third stripe until I tried crushing my foot but that's another story. Wasn't aware of the Wild Yorkshireman tag - may or may not have helped, Ben seemed to be a law unto himself.

Frank, these ships all carried Indian ratings, Bombay on tankers, otherwise Calcutta. Port Line ships (and the Cunard manned ACL and ACT tonnage) had UK ratings and were listed after the manning was integrated.

Lubber
30th January 2007, 00:38

Hi, where would I get hold of crew listings for the Mauretania 2 c.1960-70

Portred
30th January 2007, 14:47
I've just noticed that I'm on the list as 3rd Engineer Officer, M.V.Maihar.
This must have been late 1974 becaust I spent 9 months on the M.V.Mahout doing a coastal, deep sea and coastal again before going on leave.
regards,
Adrian Boyce.
Melbourne.