Collective Call Signs

Trevorw
5th July 2007, 23:54
Does anyone remember these? My company (Blue Funnel) was GTZB, Marconi was ( I think) GTZM - anyone got any more?

K urgess
5th July 2007, 23:59
Here you go, Trevor.
Try this (http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/callsign.htm) site

non descript
6th July 2007, 00:00
For some reason the Houlders Collective Call Sign was GZTT - why on earth I should remember that I have no idea... Funny thing memory.

K urgess
6th July 2007, 00:06
They've got GZXY as the National Maritime Board whereas I have it as the Radio and Electronics Officer's Union.
That's from 2 messages I have that were sent out by the REOU in 1973.

sparkie2182
6th July 2007, 00:33
the first telling you to pay your overdue subs..............

the second that they could not help you with your imminant redundancy........

"titter"

K urgess
6th July 2007, 00:58
Sorry, Sparkie, Wronnnnnggggg.

The first asking BP radio officers if they felt "their present salary adequately compensates for all hours worked".

The second was to do with the REOU trying to turn the MN into a closed shop as far as ROs were concerned. I seem to remember that we collectively told them to stuff it and resolutely refused to go on strike over the matter.
Sparkies don't go on strike. Irresponsible union pratts.(Cloud)

Moulder
6th July 2007, 10:24
GBMS = All British Merchant Ships!

Steve.
(Thumb)

Gulpers
6th July 2007, 11:25
GZWR - Denholm

BA204259
6th July 2007, 11:47
....another one, but already covered in Marconi Sahib's link.....

International Marine Radio Co (IMRCo).... GTZR

Crikey, they were a good company to work for as they had some lovely ships... (Pint)

Regards

Ron Stringer
6th July 2007, 11:54
How about MBMS - All British Merchant Ships?

sparkie2182
6th July 2007, 15:29
i do remember that period marconiman........albeit vaguely.
i never had any dealings with the reou....or the mnaoa, though i was a member of both....seemed a good idea when i started out as a cadet.
i tried to remember the format of the quarterly periodical the reou used to send to our home address, but cant for the life of me remember what it looked like in the slightest.
we all had a huge pile of post when we got home after 5/6 months at sea, and much of it was just thrown in the gash can........much of it unopened.
i think this fate befell the quarterly rag...........:)

keep your batteries in the green..........................

gwzm
6th July 2007, 17:53
Hi All,

Is my memory failing or did we have GACQ in the 1960's for "calling any British warship"?

gwzm/John

BA204259
6th July 2007, 18:42
.... GACQ in the 1960's for "calling any British warship"?

You mean from the days when we had any warships? It was GBXZ GBXZ. See Marconi Sahibs link in the second post.

Regards

Alan Couchman
7th July 2007, 00:34
Hi Trevorw,

Have a look at sections 3 & 4, of the document in website

http://www.jcs.mil/j6/cceb/acps/ACP113AFCh3.pdf

This provides collective call signs for miltary naval usage. It contains lots of other useful info.

All the best,
Alan C

peterjholcroft
24th July 2007, 18:57
Hi Trevorw

BP Tankers collective callsign was GTZX

Robinj
25th July 2007, 14:04
....another one, but already covered in Marconi Sahib's link.....

International Marine Radio Co (IMRCo).... GTZR

Crikey, they were a good company to work for as they had some lovely ships... (Pint)

Regards

I agree they were a great company to work for. Also recognized a few other callsigns.

BA204259
25th July 2007, 15:45
I agree they were a great company to work for.....

In my own short career (and I include leave relief trips of only a fortnight or so) I logged up Ore Carriers Ltd (Houlders), Anchor Line (x2), Cunard (x2), Blue Star (x2), South American Saint Line, Furness Withy, Nerdrums (ex South American Saint Line's "St Helena") and Trader Navigation Co..

In my humble opinion and with the hindsight of over 40 years... to die for!

Oh, yes! In case I am accused of being OT (true), just want to say thanks to collective callsigns GTZR...and also to GTZM for having no vacancies at that time!

Regards

LucyKnight
5th August 2013, 13:01
Here are a selection of the more recent companies:-

GZWF SHELL TANKERS
GZXW CANADIAN PACIFIC STEAMSHIPS LTD
GTZA OCEAN FLEETS LTD
GTZB ALFRED HOLT & CO
GTZC CUNARD STEAMSHIP CO LTD
GTZD P & O PASSENGER DIVISION
GTZE ELDER DEMPSTER LINES
GTZF ELDERS & FYFFES LTD
GTZH KELVIN HUGHES
GTZJ SIR WILLIAM REARDON SMITH & SONS
GTZM MARCONI INTERNATIONAL MARINE CO LTD
GTZQ BLUE STAR LINE LTD
GTZR INTERNATIONAL MARINE RADIO CO LTD
GTZU P & O STEAM NAVIGATION CO
GTZX BP TANKER CO LTD
GWZB UNION CASTLE LINE
GWZC PORT LINE LTD
GWZJ MANCHESTER LINERS
GWZK ESSO PETROLEUM CO LTD
GWZL PALM LINE LTD
GWZM T & j BROCKLEBANK LTD
GWZN FURNESS WITHY & CO LTD
GZTA LONDON & OVERSEAS FREIGHTERS LTD
GZTE MOBIL MARINE SERVICES LTD
GZTR SHAW SAVILL & ALBION CO LTD
GZTT HOLDER BROS LTD
GZWB ELLERMAN LINES LTD
GZWC ELLERMAN'S WILSON LINE LTD
GZWE CONTAINER FLEETS LTD
GZWF SHELL TANKERS LTD
GZWJ PANOCEAN SHIP MANAGEMENT LTD
GZWR J & J DENHOLM (MANAGEMENT) LTD
GZWX BIBBY BROS & CO
GZWZ HUNTING & SON LTD
GZXD F T EVERARD & SONS LTD
GZXF REDIFON LTD
GZXM BRITISH & COMMONWEALTH (GROUP MNGMT)
GZXN WALPORT LTD
GZXP OVERSEAS TANKSHIP (UK) LTD
GZXQ SUGAR LINE LTD
GZXR P & O BULK SHIPPING DIVISION
GZXX SCOTTISH SHIP MANAGEMENT
GZXY NATIONAL MARITIME BOARD
GZXZ P & O GENERAL CARGO DIVISION

Graham P Powell
5th August 2013, 15:05
I have a feeling that Royal Mail line was GTZT. I have a picture of the wireless room somewhere .....!
rgds
Graham Powell

King Ratt
5th August 2013, 15:21
Royal Fleet Auxiliaries GZXB
Any / All British Warships GBXZ
Any / All Nato Warships NAWS
British Merships GBMS / MBMS
British Merships Wartime GACQ

LucyKnight
5th August 2013, 16:08
I have a feeling that Royal Mail line was GTZT. I have a picture of the wireless room somewhere .....!
rgds
Graham Powell

Royal mail line was GTZT according to my list.

Ron Stringer
5th August 2013, 17:14
On a deleted post there was a link to a website showing a comprehensive list of British Collective call-signs. I converted the list to produce two lists, sorted alphabetically, by call-sign and by company name.

I have attached them and you are welcome to use them as you will.

R651400
5th August 2013, 17:28
Good effort with a lot of nostalgia...
Blue Funnel GTZB kept in contact on MF with TR's as a matter of company policy.
Unlike other flags I get the feeling that under the rules of the issuing authority ie HM PMG HF scheds between ships with British call signs was not allowed.

Ron Stringer
5th August 2013, 17:45
Good effort with a lot of nostalgia...
Blue Funnel GTZB kept in contact on MF with TR's as a matter of company policy.
Unlike other flags I get the feeling that under the rules of the issuing authority ie HM PMG HF scheds between ships with British call signs was not allowed.

I went to sea in 1960 and every company that I sailed with kept HF skeds between their ships. If it was illegal, so be it but my impression was that everyone did it. Certainly we were never warned of any restrictions during college days - and I had the impression at the time that 99% of our training concerned the hated 'Regs' and procedures.

R651400
5th August 2013, 18:02
Don't see any harm at all in HF scheds which were the norm free-lance and used to pass free of charge enormous ship chandler lists and other jiggery-pokery.
I cannot speak for other British companies as Blue Flue radio-wise were in my opinion neanderthal yet the terms of the licence as I remember PMG allocated HF frequencies were for calling/transmitting ship to shore traffic only..

Naytikos
5th August 2013, 18:16
During my one trip with Bank line, the ship happened to be in Port Natal together with two other Bank boats and, having met the other R/Os, we kept in touch on HF, using the 16 Mc/s second working frequency, for about a week and then ran out of things to talk about. There was no easy way to get any other ships of the fleet to join in, and in any case, it wasn't as if any of us had an afinity for the company.

Niarchos took the company sked very seriously to the point that most of the ships had an extra HF working frequency, where the type of Tx permitted, in a particular section of the band to keep them all close together. There was no official collective callsign, though, just 'LNR'
If you heard it and didn't know what it meant; then you didn't need to!

R651400
5th August 2013, 18:28
The Niarchos sched from memory was two times a day on 22 mc/s run by a control ship generally approaching or leaving the Suez canal where most Loniar ships picked up supplies.
The savings in radio traffic cost and logistics must have been phenomenal.
To this day with such varying propo conditions I'm amazed at it's communications success..

trotterdotpom
5th August 2013, 21:50
Don't see any harm at all in HF scheds which were the norm free-lance and used to pass free of charge enormous ship chandler lists and other jiggery-pokery.
I cannot speak for other British companies as Blue Flue radio-wise were in my opinion neanderthal yet the terms of the licence as I remember PMG allocated HF frequencies were for calling/transmitting ship to shore traffic only..

I may be kidding myself, but I've got it in my head that there were allocated HF Intership frequencies.

John T

richardwakeley
6th August 2013, 04:22
We definitely kept skeds on HF in GTZB. I think it was on 12MHz, forgot the frequency now. Exchanged noon QTH, bound/from, Capt & R/O names. Info was always passed to the bridge. I still have my "TR Book".
Also, on my brief interlude with EDs in 1970-71, we acted as the coast station when berthed at Warri. Last ship in took over the duty. Kept brief watch on 500 several times a day.

Troppo
6th August 2013, 06:35
From memory...

VLJB - AWA

VLAA - ANL

R651400
6th August 2013, 06:46
I may be kidding myself, but I've got it in my head that there were allocated HF Intership frequencies.. Trawler band definitely. Affectionely known at GND as "the 135" metres which equates to 2222 kc/s if my maths are cct.
All Blueys and I expect British flag in general the HF transmitters had one calling and two working crystals unlike Niarchos where I had a box full of extras if necessary plugged into a switchable socket on the front of the RCA tx.
GTZB must have changed their policy as there were never any intership HF scheds when I was there 1956/60.

Graham P Powell
6th August 2013, 09:36
I think we used to have daily skeds on RML A boats. I think the most vital information exchanged was the current Argentine peso/pound exchange rate and positions as we used to pass within sight of one another. We also had a daily skeds with the Falkland Islands.
I worked them once from London docks. BP had skeds but don't remember it being more than chatting. Not much QSP'ing of traffic went on.
Niarchos ships were certainly very slick with operating . On nights at GKA if you answered one you would find two or three others lined up behind him. They must have all known each others working frequencies. rgds
Graham Powell

Troppo
6th August 2013, 09:55
We always had daily skeds in E and A (P and O)

trotterdotpom
6th August 2013, 11:14
Trawler band definitely. Affectionely known at GND as "the 135" metres which equates to 2222 kc/s if my maths are cct.
All Blueys and I expect British flag in general the HF transmitters had one calling and two working crystals unlike Niarchos where I had a box full of extras if necessary plugged into a switchable socket on the front of the RCA tx.
GTZB must have changed their policy as there were never any intership HF scheds when I was there 1956/60.

All the trawler companies conducted skeds several times a day. They told each other lies about positions and hauls. When the control ship left for home, he handed over to the ship that had been on the grounds the longest. The skeds were conducted on 4 mc/s but can't recall the frequency. Everybody listened to everyone elses sked in the hope of picking up a bit of gen by a process of deduction.

The BISCO iron ore ships also had a sked a couple of times a day. There were a couple of hundred ships on charter and they swapped positions, where bound and from, etas and whatnot, more with same
company ships. I think that was on 8 mcs.

I remember that Control ship bizzo up the creeks in Warri. It was the only way to get messages to and from the agent. Half an hour listening to crashing static a couple of times a day - quite a challenge picking up the messages sometimes. The White Man's Grave - a laugh a minute.

John T

PS the trawlers also had W/T frequencies on (I think) 1612Kcs or thereabouts - very useful for ship/shore coms with Wickradio.

John Leary
6th August 2013, 20:05
T and J Brocklebank were very keen that the GWZM skeds were activated and recorded in the radio log during each of the four, two hour watches. If memory serves me correctly there was also one sked on MF during the day.

One evening on the Magdapur in the Indian Ocean during the 1748 to 1800 sked the old man burst into the radio room and told me to stop transmitting because it was interfering with his enjoyment of the BBC's World Service. He had every right to do so but I told him that I would have to enter his instruction into the radio log and advise the Radio Department accordingly. The outcome was that the decision was reversed and all skeds were maintained as normal.

Happy days

John

Duncan112
6th August 2013, 20:14
Seem to recall that when BP started to flag out in 1985 the Union wanted to contact all BP ships and BP shipping refused to let them use the collective call sign - is that right that use of the call sign for traffic was vested in the company?

Anyhow the Union used the GBMS call sign and this generated a lot of support from other companies who recieved the message and thus brought our plight to a wider audience quicker than otherwise might be managed.

R651400
7th August 2013, 03:11
... the trawlers also had W/T frequencies on (I think) 1612Kcs or thereabouts - very useful for ship/shore coms with Wickradio...and Stonehaven every evening around 2130 which some trawlers used exclusively instead of Wick.

Tai Pan
7th August 2013, 10:08
See Radioofficers.com /archives for the full list

R651400
8th August 2013, 18:07
Niarchos ships were certainly very slick with operating . On nights at GKA if you answered one you would find two or three others lined up behind him. They must have all known each others working frequencies...The slickness was very much QSP a la Grece!
Control ship would take all Loniar traffic for GKA and substitute the call sign as if it was coming from the originator..
I've seen this practiced in the Pacific when it was full of Greek rust-buckets carrying scrap iron US to Japan with one solitary ship picking up all the HF traffic in MF range and QSP'ing free of charge to SVA changing the call to the appropriate ship when sent.
Entaxi entaxi... beats PMG RM every time..