My Line L+H

Santos
20th March 2005, 20:45
Hi Guys,
I just thought I would like to post the photos of some of the L+H ships I was on. Long gone now I am afraid, but I will remember them for the rest of my life, great ships as far as I am concerned.

RAPHAEL, ROSSINI and RONSARD

Santos.

michael james
20th March 2005, 22:34
Hi Santos,
Great looking ships and Here,Here to Zeldas` suggestion I for one would be most interested in knowing more about the ships, the company and your time there.
I used to have a photo of - I think it was the MV Romney taken in Liverpool around 1960-61. - as yet have not located it, she was one of the larger L.H. ships I think.MJ

julian anstis
20th March 2005, 23:10
Michael.......I have a photo of the Romney ex Ruddbank taken in 85 if you require one....?

michael james
20th March 2005, 23:23
Julian. Would love to see it, thank you. I was not aware that she was ex Bank Line thanks for that info too.

Santos
21st March 2005, 19:54
Julian & Michael,

The Romney between the 50s and late 70s below was the Romney all her life. She was the Flagship of L+H. details below

Built: Cammell Laird & Company Ltd., Birkenhead
Gross: 8237 Net: 4980
Dimensions: 470 x 63.4 x 28.3 ft
Propulsion: 2 x Steam Turbine, 8,250 bhp by builder
Completed: 5/1952 as Romney for Lamport & Holt Line Ltd.
Sold: 2/10/1978 to Shipbreaking Industries, Faslane

Picture attached.

The last Romney of L+H was the following ship which I think Julian means :-

Built: Sunderland Ship Builders Ltd., Sunderland
Dimensions: 530.94 x 75.36 x 32.64 feet
Tonnage: Gross: 12214 Net: 7730
Propulsion: 4-Cyl S.C.S.A oil engine of 12,000 bhp by Doxford Engines Ltd., Sunderland
Completed: 6/1979 as Ruddbank for Andrew Weir's Bank Line
Purchased: 10/1983 by Lamport & Holts Ltd. and renamed Romney
Renamed: 1986 Lairg of Highvale Ltd., Lion Shipping Co., Hong Kong managers
Renamed: 1989 Napier Star 3 of Blue Star Ship Management
Sold: 1991 to Tamapatcharee Shipping Co., Hong Kong and renamed Tamapatcharee, Andrew Weir Shipping, Hong Kong managers
Sold: 1996 to South Asia Shipping Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed Lady Rebecca

She was of a totally different design and if I remember correctly had all accomodation aft.

Reference the Raphael, Ronsard, Rossini and others, I will certainly love to tell you all about them in time to come.

Santos.

michael james
21st March 2005, 22:07
Hi Santos, Yes you are right, Julian and I have come to the conclusion that it was the 1952 built Romney that I saw in Liverpool, as I said to Julian, she was a striking ship to look at with rather a large funnel in proportion to her superstructure, but this did not adversely effect her good looks, I can quite understand why she was L+H Flagship.
The Romney in Liverpool was the only L+H ship I saw around the UK coast ports, was Liverpool the only L+H UK coastal port or did they go north of the border into Ron country?

Santos
23rd March 2005, 22:05
Hi Mike,

Yes they went North into Ron Country, I went with them many times to load Barrelled whiskey ( hic ). K.G.V Glasgow was our normal berth up there. We had some hairy trips up and down the Clyde in thick fog. One trip we found our way down to the sea by hitting most of the buoys. The pilot tried to tell us he knew were we where by the sound the buoy made when we hit it.

I think that was the Teachers talking. Though I must admit the bongs did differ from time to time. The Chief Engineer thought we were doing it on purpose to annoy him.

We used to go to South Wales too and Ireland both North and South. Great times.

Santos.

Rhiw.com
24th March 2005, 14:38
Hello Santos, I sailed on the Raphael as A.B. in early 1974. One of the best trips I ever made, and a great bunch of lads. I sailed on the Raeburn as well, left Liverpool on September the 12th 1973. There is a story about her on my website. All the best, Tony Jones R867015.

Santos
24th March 2005, 19:16
Hi Tony,

Glad you enjoyed your trip, I had a soft spot for the Raphael, as I was lucky to sail with a great bunch of lads too. It was a nice mixed crew, Scousers, Welsh, Scots and even a couple of Irish lads all of them great characters it was a pleasure to sail with them. The crew stayed practically (:P) complete for about 4 trips which at 3 month trips was about a year. I will always remember the Raphael. Kind regards Santos.

Rhiw.com
25th March 2005, 07:46
Hello Santos, Just thought you might like to see a photo of the old girl, (=D)
Tony, R867015.

Santos
25th March 2005, 15:30
Hi Tony,

Many thanks for the Photo of Raphael, maybe I am biased but I thought the world of that ship. I thought you might like to know what happened to her.

She was completed in 07/1953 as Raphael for Lamport & Holt Line Ltd, having been built by Bartrams in Sunderland.

She was sold by Lamports in 06/1976 to Carnation Shipping Co., Limassol and renamed Pola Rika, then to Allegro Marine Co., Limassol keeping the same name

Sold again in 1979 via Paul Christianson, Naksov to Hemesa Shipbreaking, Gijon

(=|) Sadly demolition commenced: 30/05/1979.

Kind regards

Santos.

georged
3rd January 2006, 20:47
Hi Santos

That name brings back memories- Agree Raphael was really happy ship, I did four trips as third mate 1963-1964. Master was a Capt Legg, small chap who was very good, and tolerated young third mates who thought they knew it all!I left to go for mates ticket and then moved on to other ships in the company. I have a good photo of the Raphael entering Coruna outward bound in September 1963. From memory we loaded dried cod for Brazil.
We also used to carry quite a lot of cattle and occasionally horses outward bound for breeding in Brazil, which if we did not have a cattleman the cadets used to look after, for a few extra bob. How things have changed.
When I can get use of a scanner I will put in photo of Raphael.

Regards

Georged

tell
4th January 2006, 01:56
Brings tears to my eyes when I think of Raphael being broken up, I was in her in 1954 or thereabouts, what a happy ship she was and what a great crew we had, I was AB on her but the deck crew and down below crowd used to go ashore together, we were asked back for the next trip and I for one had my name down, but I think after the Bosun and the Chief Steward done their stock check they changed their minds, Never mind that was one row of houses they wouldn't be buying lol, there was a donkeyman on her named Peter Rice he was one good mate , I've tried to find him a couple of times ,he drank in the Salt Box in Litherland, but sad to say I could never contact him again

jim barnes
4th January 2006, 12:28
worked L&H 1973 Ronsard & Reaburn (EDH) posted picture in gallery of my transfer papers from one to the other Santos all in Portugese but if you can make it out it is self explanitory, Officially transfered in port, unofficially missed ship saved me from calaboosh?
Good Times (Hippy)

Santos
4th January 2006, 20:14
I have to say that Raphael and Rubens (Ex Siddons) were my favourites and it was my happiest time at sea on those two ships. Raphael kept the same crew for well over 12 months, which was four trips. It just shows what a happy ship she was everyone wanting to stay.

They may not have been big or plush but they were home and very happy homes at that, with great crews.

Chris.

KevinR
8th January 2006, 13:49
I also sailed with Captain Legg, I think it was on either the Debrett or Defoe. As I remember, he was a bit of a carpenter, and had a workbench set up on the deck. I remember him carving a set of small oars, which he put at the C/Engineer's place at table, after one of the many breakdowns at sea. The Chief (Name of Ferguson) was not amused!
Cheers, Kevin Routledge.

diggo
13th February 2006, 08:25
I started as a deck cadet on the Raeburn Nov 72. I was also Uncert 3/0 on the Ronsard when she had the collision in Rio Grande du Sol I think about 1974 but old age brings on faint memories (K)

Rhiw.com
13th February 2006, 12:13
worked L&H 1973 Ronsard & Reaburn (EDH) posted picture in gallery of my transfer papers from one to the other Santos all in Portugese but if you can make it out it is self explanitory, Officially transfered in port, unofficially missed ship saved me from calaboosh?
Good Times (Hippy)
I was on the Raeburn in 1973 as well, joined her as A.B. at Liverpool August 30th for two weeks around the land, then went deep sea on her on September 12th. Great ship and a brilliant crowd of lads. You can read about the trip here; http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/raeburn/raeburn.htm Regards Tony (Thumb)

Santos
13th February 2006, 19:48
I started as a deck cadet on the Raeburn Nov 72. I was also Uncert 3/0 on the Ronsard when she had the collision in Rio Grande du Sol I think about 1974 but old age brings on faint memories (K)

I was on the Ronsard in 1965 as a Cadet.

I hope it wasnt you who put that big hole in her bow Diggo.(LOL) Whoever it was did a good job. I saw her coming up the Mersey with half her bow missing, (EEK) that would be in the 70s, was that you Diggo ?

Was Captain Crebbin still the Marine Super, bet he was cross if he was.!!!!

Chris.

Ron Stringer
13th February 2006, 22:43
Your recent posts brought to mind a happening involving a shipmate who came from L & H. He had served his time from apprentice through to getting his Master's. However he realised that he would have to wait a long time for command with L & H so decided to take his Master's ticket and try elsewhere. I have posted the details of the story on the Mess Deck 'Funny Stories' thread.

Ron

leggoaft
14th February 2006, 01:03
Does anyone remember a Director in the Liverpool Office by the name of Barber?

Best Wishes
Bill

Santos
14th February 2006, 21:38
Hi Bill,

I am afraid the only people in authority in the line that I knew of was :-

Captain Crebbin Marine Super
Captain Roberts ( Tab Nabs ) Deputy marine Super
Captain Dickson Cargo Superintendent

and good old John Sale in the Office at Bootle.

Chris.

diggo
19th February 2006, 01:39
Hi Santos
If you saw us coming up the river with half the bow missing, that was me!!!!
The Master was WA Wilson and we had a pilot on board at the time. The ship that hit us was the Victovich a Czeck Registered vessel. The super I am sure was still Capt Letham (Jester)

Santos
19th February 2006, 21:10
Hi Diggo,

Great stuff, I was sat in a steakhouse with my wife, on New Brighton Prom, watching the ships go by when, hey whats that, my old ship with half her bow missing sailing up the river.

Captain Wilson was my skipper on the Sheridan. I got on with him very well.

Chris.

john hughes
26th February 2006, 20:40
sailed on the RUBENS in 57,9months contract west indies canada ,ch eng mr butcher capt mylcreest,after one trip they changed the crew and sent them home,after that it was all down hill food ect.junior engineers paid off as ELEC I was first in line to stand watch and do my own job.After many requests I paid off in Halifax,and came home on old SYLVANIA.ps the old tried to get me sacked.

john hughes
26th February 2006, 22:06
sailed on the RUBENS in 57,9months contract west indies canada ,ch eng mr butcher capt mylcreest,after one trip they changed the crew and sent them home,after that it was all down hill food ect.junior engineers paid off as ELEC I was first in line to stand watch and do my own job.After many requests I paid off in Halifax,and came home on old SYLVANIA.ps the old man tried to get me sacked.

tell
27th February 2006, 17:03
Some of the old skippers were a law unto themselves,this may be ok in some circumstances, but a few of them, sitting in their ivory towers overstretched the boundaries

aranthru
27th August 2006, 16:46
Hi there I did three trips on the Ronsard in 1961,at that time she was only four years old and she was very nice,I love those Centre Scavenge North Eastern Marine Doxfords. I used to have a lot of fun in B.A Rio and Monte.
My Name is Morris Robertson a little Scots man who now lives in Canada and has done for the past forty years.
All the best Morris

Santos
27th August 2006, 20:15
Hi Morris,

I sailed on Ronsard too in the sixties. She was very prone to Scavenger Fires and had quite a few whilst I was on her. I sailed on her older sister Raphael who never had a scavenger fire in the two years I was on her and was the faster of the two. Strange really considering Ronsard was the newer ship.

regards

Chris.

Tracey Jones (Scully)
28th August 2006, 10:00
Hi, my brother Robert Scully sailed on Raphael in 68/69. He was only a kid of 15 or 16 at the time but looked about 12! He was pantry boy and says they were a great bunch of lads on the ship.

Best wishes,

Tracey.

tell
28th August 2006, 15:26
Scully it was much earlier that I was on the Raphael, it looks like she was always a happy ship reading all the reports in here, It was sad to hear she has been broken up

rossini
28th August 2006, 19:22
Do any of you remember a middy nicknamed 'steam on deck' ? I met him one night when Rossini and another L+H boat were in a South American port. He got completely drunk, came aboard our ship and proceeded to bang on the skippers cabin door at 2am. I made myself scarce as I was a Cadet and we sailed the next day. Don't know if he ever got found out.

Argyll
29th August 2006, 16:48
Hi,
I have been looking thru all threads and see no mention of Dryden I sailed on her in the late 60,s before she was scrapped. I was AB. and Mylecrest was capt. the mate was a welsh man called Jones and it was the year that a scottish football team won the European cup ,the first uk team to do so.
Argyll;

rossini
29th August 2006, 21:06
I stood by on Dryden for about a week in 1969 as a cadet in Liverpool.She had one hold full of hoofs and horns from South America and the smell was dreadful. I was given a passenger cabin as there were no cadet cabins and it was bigger than the Mates. I was told I could not use the bath in it as the Mates did not have them in theirs.

glasson
30th August 2006, 00:42
I joined the Reaburn 6.3.73 and did 7 trips on her until 27.9.74 Very fond memories of the time sailing to South America, unfortunately my father died will on leave after the last trip on the Raeburn, and did not go back deep sea and started dredging which I have done ever since.

John Mepham
14th November 2006, 16:40
Did several trips as an engr. on both the Ronsard and the Rafael in 1967 - 68
they were really good ships, and crews.
L & H had a well known Irish 2nd engr. Ben Smith who I got on very well with,
Can any of you guys remember him or even know his where abouts.
Lean & Hungry were a good company to work for, but all good things come to an end.
Anybody know the fate of the Ronsard ?.

Santos
14th November 2006, 19:31
The Ronsard was sold in 1980 to Obestain Inc. Panama being renamed Obestain, made her last voyage on 8/8/1981 from Bangkok to Taiwan and was scrapped at Kaohsiung.

Chris.

John Mepham
15th November 2006, 15:05
Funny that, I sailed on both the Raphael And Ronsard and I never knew the
Raphael was faster !!!.
We never had any scavenge fire's on either ship, The Hollybank of Bank Line ( P type Doxford ) was the one for scavenge fires we had about 2 dozen in 6 months.
What good times were had by all in Monte and Santos.
Those were the days.

John Mepham
15th November 2006, 15:07
Thanks for that Chris,
What a shame !, suppose it happens to us all one day !!!.

Santos
15th November 2006, 18:57
Sure does John,

For info, Raphael was sold in 06/1976 to Carnation Shipping Co., Limassol and renamed Pola Rika, she then went to Allegro Marine Co., Limassol. Same name

In 1979 she was sold to Hemesa Shipbreaking, Gijon where she was scrapped 30/05/1979

Kind regards

Chris.

john shaw
15th November 2006, 20:50
here's a different pic of Raphael

K urgess
15th November 2006, 21:21
Which is not a lot different to this one, John.(EEK)

I took the one you posted just after someone took this one of me.
The version you posted seems to have disappeared from my gallery for some reason.:sweat:

At least we all recognise a great looking ship.(Thumb)

It's Dublin in September 1967.

zelo1954
15th November 2006, 21:35
A long-gone former schoolmate of mine, Gordon Lathan, from memory joined L&H in the 60s. Anyone remember him?

Cheers, Geoff

john shaw
15th November 2006, 23:58
Quote Marconi Sahib:
Which is not a lot different to this one, John.

I took the one you posted just after someone took this one of me.
The version you posted seems to have disappeared from my gallery for some reason.

Hi-- I did not when posting in the thread, and do not,claim authorship of the pic--- I am intrigued that you do so, as it gives it an origin,and in no way do I doubt your assertion. I'm not sure from your post if you have taken offence-- if that is so,accept my apology and assurance that none was intended. I have searched the SN gallery, and all the threads,but can find no earlier submission of this pic.If you were to examine all my posts, it would be seen that I have credited pics where appropriate, or posted urls to direct members to other sites,rather than claiming pics for myself-- my profile indicates that I sailed only in Souter managed ships,yet I have posted many pics of other ships of other lines etc.

I have referred in the past (eg on my post of "Duquesa")to having obtained CDs of images of ships-- these are all uncredited, and frankly a hotch-potch of ships of all eras. It was my assumption that they were generally collected from the public domain at varying points in time.

To clarify-- the pic of Raphael is not mine, I own a copy of the image, I do not claim ownership nor do I know it's provenance.I do not doubt Marconi Sahib's claim to the origin of the image.I believed ,at the time of posting, it to be an unknown image to SN, and submitted it only to assist members.I trust that this will satisfy any concerns?

john shaw
16th November 2006, 00:30
Marconi Sahib:

Further to the above:

it occurred to me to search again all the threads. Indeed,your image can be found as a thumb at:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=7306&highlight=raphael

post #13,pic 3 of 3

posted 17 August this year--and it is quite evidently the same pic. That explains why you can't find it in your gallery-- cos it's a thumb on a thread!

I have seen remarks on shipspotting about pics having been misappropriated from that site and appearing on SN, and also remarks on here about pics also being misappropriated. It appears that this is one such too-- to that end I have deleted the image from my files.I have no need of it as there is an image already on this site.

I hope you are happy with this situation.

K urgess
16th November 2006, 11:39
Sorry John

I didn't mean to get at you in any way. My apologies if that's how it sounded.

The fact is I was amazed and couldn't figure where it had come from. I thought I had posted it in my gallery and then couldn't find it. Since it wasn't there I assumed it had either been deleted in error or I had made a mistake. After a lot of messing about I realised that the size I had reduced it to meant that I must have posted it in a thread and filed it as a gallery post. My mistake. So then I searched for the thread just to make sure. You're correct that I posted it in August.

Since I've never posted any of my photographs on the internet before at one stage I was beginning to wonder how you had got a copy of it. I don't object to them being used once I've posted them especially like that one which I had not cleaned in any way. If you post on the internet it almost becomes public property immediately so there can be no argument about copyright or displeasure at it being used by someone else.

Since you obviously didn't know the origin of the photograph I felt I had to make that clear. Probably a little too bluntly for which I apologise again. Maybe a PM would've been better.

john shaw
16th November 2006, 16:35
Last entry re this,then it goes to bed!-- I took no exception whatsoever to the remark;you are quite justified in drawing attention to the fact that you are author of the image--and I felt mortified that I has used your image (albeit unwittingly), but as I said it did not appear when I searched the Gallery before posting . I guess that you're correct, in that anyone can take any imge from a site-- probably why some people caption theirs-- but I feel as you do-- anyone can do as they wish with anything I post on here.Thanks for the understanding,and best wishes.

John Mepham
18th November 2006, 09:21
Hello Santos.
If you have a close look at the colour photo of the Ronsard that you posted
you can see smoke coming from her No.1 hold, I presume that this photo must have been taken in 1967 either in the English channel or the Thames
estury, after No.1 hold caught fire after taking on bunkers in the Canary
Islands on the way home .

John Mepham
18th November 2006, 09:35
Hi Morris,

I sailed on Ronsard too in the sixties. She was very prone to Scavenger Fires and had quite a few whilst I was on her. I sailed on her older sister Raphael who never had a scavenger fire in the two years I was on her and was the faster of the two. Strange really considering Ronsard was the newer ship.

regards

Chris.
The possible reason that Ronsard was slower than Raphael is if she was
prone to scavenge fires, they could have been running the main engine
a few revs slower, this is the classic way to prevent scavenge fires.
As far as I can remember Raphael and Ronsard were identical ( apart from
the 'garden shed' on top of the bridge, on Ronsard.

K urgess
18th November 2006, 12:00
Being no longer able to throw anything away concerned with my seagoing days I have boxes full of useless information.

This is just such an example.

It's a graph of speed against time for the Raphael from March to June 1967. It was plotted at the time from noon positions, which I also have in the same logbook. I don't suppose the same figures are available for the Ronsard so a comparison can be made?

I don't have one for the second trip but the noon positions tend to indicate a maximum of 16.18kts with an average around 15.5kts.

This first one was the trip I spent my 21st birthday in Santos!
It's no wonder I enjoyed the 2 trips so much when you see that the trip is almost exactly 50-50 port and sea time.(==D)

ray bloomfield
10th November 2007, 10:36
Hi Bill,

I am afraid the only people in authority in the line that I knew of was :-

Captain Crebbin Marine Super
Captain Roberts ( Tab Nabs ) Deputy marine Super
Captain Dickson Cargo Superintendent

and good old John Sale in the Office at Bootle.

Chris.
Do you have any more details of Capt. Roberts, was it by any chance either John (from Southport area) or his brother, later of the DTI?

Santos
11th November 2007, 18:34
Do you have any more details of Capt. Roberts, was it by any chance either John (from Southport area) or his brother, later of the DTI?

I believe that the Captain Roberts I knew went on to become an BOT Examiner he also had a limp, if that is any help. His nickname in L+H was Tab Nabs from his time as a Cadet apparantly.

Chris.

jackc
4th December 2007, 21:55
Great to read the reminiscences of the Ronsard, Raphael et al.My father was the first Bosn of the Ronsard from 1957 until 1964 when came ashore. He was also the first Bosn of the Delius when shew was new in 1937.At the time John Hughes was in the Rubens he was in the Rossetti on the west Indies to Canada run until the crew were brought home to the UK in the Hilary and I met him in Liverpool
They were great days and great people.I remember the Bosn of the Raphael,Freddy Page.again a friend of my father and a lovely man.

Jackc

Santos
5th December 2007, 19:23
Yes, Mr Page became the shore Bosun in charge of the Shoregang. Nice chap.

Chris.

tell
6th December 2007, 15:27
Mr page was bosun in the raphael when I was in her, I believe he had a relation in the shore crew as well, Freddy was ok

Santos
6th December 2007, 19:32
Anyone remember Bob Welsh he was Bosun on Raphael when I was on her.

Chris.

nautibuoy42
31st July 2008, 10:56
I sailed with Cpt Roberts on the "Lassell" in 1958, he was then the Mate under Cpt Robson. I then joined the "Devis", he was then asst to Cpt Crebbin,
Marine Supt, so the Lassell must have been his last sea going trip. I didn't Know he was from Southport, as I am originally from there.

nautibuoy42
31st July 2008, 11:53
With regard to the funnel on the "Romney" it was reputed that when she was built the stack was 40' tall but later reduced to about 30', the brass steam whistle was nearly 6' tall, I know because I used to clean it, sand & canvas first then brasso & norwegian steam!!

ddrennan
30th August 2008, 14:52
Hi Santos

That name brings back memories- Agree Raphael was really happy ship, I did four trips as third mate 1963-1964. Master was a Capt Legg, small chap who was very good, and tolerated young third mates who thought they knew it all!I left to go for mates ticket and then moved on to other ships in the company. I have a good photo of the Raphael entering Coruna outward bound in September 1963. From memory we loaded dried cod for Brazil.
We also used to carry quite a lot of cattle and occasionally horses outward bound for breeding in Brazil, which if we did not have a cattleman the cadets used to look after, for a few extra bob. How things have changed.
When I can get use of a scanner I will put in photo of Raphael.

Regards

Georged

Your mention of horses brings back memories of my trip on the Defoe in '64/'65 We built stalls on deck for the horses we picked up in BA, I think it was. Always thought that is was a strange cargo.
DDrennan

ROD(Ginge)
3rd September 2008, 20:11
I too was on the Defoe in 1964 and remember them building the stalls on the after deck, great trip
rod(ginge)

nomad21
8th September 2008, 00:52
anyone out there remember S.S.Lalande? i was on her in 1958 we went to S. america a great run!!hit some bad weather a bit scary, she was an oldie

ROBERT GIBSON
4th December 2008, 14:41
Hi Santos,
Great looking ships and Here,Here to Zeldas` suggestion I for one would be most interested in knowing more about the ships, the company and your time there.
I used to have a photo of - I think it was the MV Romney taken in Liverpool around 1960-61. - as yet have not located it, she was one of the larger L.H. ships I think.MJ

All L+H Ships can be seen on the Blue Star website www.bluestarline.org

Regards

Bob Gibson

john dodd
27th May 2009, 15:21
just found this thread. Did one trip to B.A. @ Monty on Ronsard early '65 and did 2 trips on Raphael, one to B.A. the next to Brazzy coast in '75. Both were beatiful ships @ great to work on as A.B. John Dodd.

mike scott
27th May 2009, 16:41
Hello Santos
I sailed on the Romney numerous times in the 1970s,as 3rd Engineer,
they were great days, nobody expected the bubble to burst when it did.
Most of the lads I sailed with were scousers, a good bunch, although I took photos of most of the countries in Latin America, my one regret is I took none of the Romney. I find this unforgivable as I've been interested in photography most of my life. Still, I've always got my memories.

regards

mike scott

Santos
27th May 2009, 16:53
Hi Mike,

You are right, the Romney was a good looking ship, I never went deep sea on her, but used to have my lunch on her during the dock strike in 1966. I was a day duty officer on the Devis, during the strike and she was dead ship, so went to Romney for my lunch.

You are also right about the scouse crews, great seamen and great fun.

Kind regards

Chris

spudo
1st June 2009, 12:56
anyone remember the pampass bull shore bosun or joe dazell from sixtys

kypros
16th June 2011, 20:20
Yes I Remember Joe Dalzel He Was Bosun On The Raphael 1963 When I Sailed On Her A Right Popeye Character But An Ecellent Seaman Can Still Remember His Wizened Face And His Remarks To Us Younger Seaman <you Tell Me> If We Ventured An Opinion On Seamanship A Real Unforgetable Character A Nice Bloke None The Less. Reguards Kypros

Bob Hay
18th February 2012, 04:47
Great site this. Started as Junior Engineer on Rubens on that first nightmare run to Canada in 57, then over the years up till 64 on Raeburn(Colorado Star), Devis, Delius,Viajero, Raphael,Basil,Valiente,Dryden, Boniface.
A mixture of Booth and L+H boats.

Chris Isaac
18th February 2012, 08:37
Although I never sailed with L+H your stories bring back many memories.
I was a cadet with Saint Line and spent over 2 years on St John in 63/65.
Our runs were identical except we ended up in London rather than Liverpool.
You mention cargoes such as Horns and Hooves, Salted Cod. How about the hides and corned beef.
Like L+H the Saint Line ships were always happy ships, I think it had a lot to do with the run and the fact that we spent ages in some great ports.

Thanks for the memories guys!

tom roberts
18th February 2012, 12:36
I Sailed on the Raphael in the 50s Mr Page was the bosun I remember big Phil Roberts from Llagollen the B.A. ladies loved him, there was also an a. b. Mickie the Sheik his real name I cant remember him and I met two sisters who were promonading along the Quay with their auntie as chaperone, we were painting over the side as they walked past he had us a date quicker than greased lightning he could pull the birds like no one else I ever knew,does anyone remember the families who used to walk the docks together ?. Another thing about the Raphael was we had no radar that I can remember she was a happy ship tho we had a steward who beat up the apprentice ashore in Monte when the lad had had a few beers he didnt report him but the steward was told what to expect from us in B.A.he did the same to me when I was drunk lucky for me one of the officers I think the electrician stopped him putting the boot in and got me back aboard, the next morning I waited for him coming back aboard and gave him a bloody good hiding the outcome was I got the bullet back home they did say chief stewards ran the company still I had a few beers sent down from the bridge.

Bob Hay
20th February 2012, 00:00
Hi John. I'm sure you were the lecky on the Rubens when I joined her in London August 57 for my first sea voyage (and light ship to Montreal was bloody rough). Mylcreest was the skipper and the old Chief (Butcher was it?) broke his ankle clambering aboard in some port near Baltimore and I had to make him a crutch from a big deck broom. Poor old bloke didn't get relieved till Barbados or Trinidad.
Those were the trips we used to carry cattle from Montreal down to Puero Rico and even mountain lions for some zoos.
Can only really remember Dave Smedley from Liverpool another Junior.

Bob Hay
20th February 2012, 00:38
All you old Lamport and Holt guys might be interested in a book of the company's fleet and history.
You wouldn't believe I picked it up in a second hand book shop in Busselton Western Australia last year.
Its called, 'Lamport and Holt' by P.M.Heaton. Published by The starling Press, Risca, Newport, Gwent.
ISBN O 9507714 6 5 and it sold for 12 pounds in 1986 (I got it for A$15)
I noticed inside the cover it had belonged to some bloke L.W. Turner from Williams in W.A. whom I tried to contact without luck. He might have been ex L + H.

Bob Hay
21st February 2012, 03:07
Engineering Super (or Assisant) for Lamport's and Booth's in the 60's was Mr Clatworthy. Smashing bloke. Was Ken Clements foreman for their shore gang? Bloke with a limp full of good intentions but always seemed to get in everybody's way.

Gordon Lathan
28th September 2013, 12:09
A long-gone former schoolmate of mine, Gordon Lathan, from memory joined L&H in the 60s. Anyone remember him?

Cheers, Geoff

Hi
Yes I remember me! I may be long but I'm not gone. Please reveal
yourself! I was with L & H from 1964 to 1970 and thoroughly enjoyed it, meeting some great people
Regards
Gordon