tv licence for pc

tell
21st March 2005, 00:59
Hi folks I just wondered what other posters think of the government proposals to charge licence fees for pcs Tell

Doug Rogers
21st March 2005, 02:19
Havent heard that one at all Tell but am not impressed with it..on what basis are they thinking of levying licence charges??. Interesting evolution, wonder if it will spread overseas??.

James_C
21st March 2005, 12:33
Is this a yearly charge for merely owning a PC? I can't see them having any justification in introducing that whatsoever (as theres no cost to them), it'd be robbery, pure and simple.
Or I have I misunderstood and its for PCs that have TV cards fitted?

tell
21st March 2005, 21:03
no lads, the reason they give is that BBC has material on the net, I think it is most unfair, hope it doesn't get past the green paper stage Tell

Doug Rogers
22nd March 2005, 00:52
Amen to that one brother...Doug

julian anstis
22nd March 2005, 01:05
"Someone has to pay for the wedding next month" !............

Fairfield
22nd March 2005, 10:33
Get shot of the BBC and save us all and the country a fortune.

double acting
2nd November 2008, 13:54
On the back of a TV license it says, and I quote "What is a TV license for? To use any TV equipment such as a TV set, digital box, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on television" I imagine that even if you do not have a TV set but have a computer which is on the internet then you need a license. Or am I wrong?

K urgess
2nd November 2008, 14:30
You normally can't watch TV programmes on your computer as they are being broadcast unless you have a TV card with an aerial in which case you need a licence for the device not for the PC.
Things like iPlayer from the Beeb are for viewing programmes that you've missed.
Anything that receives programmes "off air" (live) needs a licence

Cheers
Kris

treeve
2nd November 2008, 14:59
Using Dial Up at 45.2 Kb/s cannot receive TV/Videa files anyway, unless you like watching in staccato (similar to digital TV, I know), if anyone wants to charge a licence for watching TV on a PC, they are welcome to come and try here .. biscuits not provided ... Someone down the road from here has a "dongle" which he connects to the TV aerial and gets top quality TV reception ... how does that fit in, it obviously has a faster download speed?

vasco
2nd November 2008, 15:11
Using Dial Up at 45.2 Kb/s cannot receive TV/Videa files anyway, unless you like watching in staccato (similar to digital TV, I know), if anyone wants to charge a licence for watching TV on a PC, they are welcome to come and try here .. biscuits not provided ... Someone down the road from here has a "dongle" which he connects to the TV aerial and gets top quality TV reception ... how does that fit in, it obviously has a faster download speed?

The dongle has nothing to do with downloads. It is a mini-tv receiver that uses the components in the computer to produce live TV. You do not need to be connected to the internet.

I use one off the coast, at the moment picking up tv from 10 miles off land. Its a blessing to the traveller.

Of course, a licence is needed as stated above.

charles henry
2nd November 2008, 15:20
One of the reasons I left the UK many years ago was just this kind of thing.
I didnt blame the government but I just couldnt stand the thought of spending the rest of my life amongst the prevailing attitude of the people.

All it takes it for loads of people to write their local newspaper stating:-
If this law is passed I will never again vote for the present ruling party.

Then watch them ditch it, if your too tired to write a single paragraph letter then you deserve it

de chas

robandbarbara
2nd November 2008, 17:58
As I understand it - if you already have a TV licence for your premises , another licence would not be required just for a PC. Same situation as if you have other TV sets in various rooms in the house.
Rob

pete
3rd November 2008, 11:13
The problem is, as far as I can see it, is if connected to the Internet at a half reasonable speed, it is possible to receive "Streaming TV" so even without a TV you are liable to pay this Damn Licence Fee. Get rid of the Government controlled BBC, and let them be funded by Advertising or go down the Tubes...............pete

K urgess
3rd November 2008, 11:34
"Streaming TV" doesn't count, Pete.
It has to be broadcast as you watch it over the "airwaves".
If you've got a licence for your TV(s) anyway, you don't need another one.

Ron Stringer
3rd November 2008, 15:07
One of the reasons I left the UK many years ago was just this kind of thing.
I didnt blame the government but I just couldnt stand the thought of spending the rest of my life amongst the prevailing attitude of the people.

All it takes it for loads of people to write their local newspaper stating:-
If this law is passed I will never again vote for the present ruling party.

Then watch them ditch it, if your too tired to write a single paragraph letter then you deserve it

de chas

Canadian friends who visited us and accompanied us on a vacation in France were outraged to see that, at road junctions, the French used the standard octagonal sign with the work ''STOP''. They were from Alberta and B.C. but were prevented by the bi-lingual rules of your country from using that sign because it was unacceptable to the French-speaking people of Quebec. All it takes it for loads of people to write their local newspaper......

charles henry
3rd November 2008, 15:52
Canadian friends who visited us and accompanied us on a vacation in France were outraged to see that, at road junctions, the French used the standard octagonal sign with the work ''STOP''. They were from Alberta and B.C. but were prevented by the bi-lingual rules of your country from using that sign because it was unacceptable to the French-speaking people of Quebec. All it takes it for loads of people to write their local newspaper......

Touche!!
de chas

AncientBrit
3rd November 2008, 16:28

Methinks there is some misunderstanding in context. Every uncontrolled junction with major road in BC and Alberta does indeed possess its own distinct hexagonal sign writ large with the English word STOP. Within the confines of any Federally controlled establishment or area the signs are indeed bi-lingual.
I think your friends anger was at the Quebec use of French only, to the extent that they have a provincial government department tasked with fining folks for having any English in their company business signage and at the Federal Government for insisting that the rest of the country be bi-lingual and allow Quebec to ban English.
I believe they should allow Quebec the same leeway with regard to language, that the French themselves allow the native residents of their overseas possessions. Of course Canada should have another annual holiday on the anniversary of the Battle of the Heights of Abraham to remind all residents who won that battle.[=P]
de chas is right that you should write to your MP's. Most times if you can get to the brains somewhere inside those thick heads before it indeed becomes a positive action, most politico's will drop an idea like a hot brick if they have any idea that there will be public outrage.
AB

Gareth Jones
3rd November 2008, 17:17
The Wireless Telegraphy Act used to state that a licence was required to receive broadcast TV signals and thats all. If a TV was installed without an aerial and used only for playing DVD's or Video Tapes then a licence was not necessary. A few failed prosecutions have proved this to be so.

Despite this, the Post Office and BBC continually deny this legal option.

It follows that internet downloaded stuff is not received by wireless, therefore why should a licence should be necessary?.

I dont know if the recent changes made to the Wireless Telegraphy act have changed anything. Tried looking but couldnt find anything.

I pay my TV licence by annual direct debit and I notice that I no longer receive a proper stamped licence with a statement of fact describing what I am licenced to do. Instead I have received a pseudo official statement of bullshine.

Other than threaten, there's little the government can do, will we see computer detector vans on the streets ? besides detect your computer, they would have to prove what you were doing on it !

As internet speeds improve, so more and more viewing will move to internet sources. Licencing will become unenforceable, and the licencing system as we know it must collapse.

charles henry
5th November 2008, 13:40
de chas is right that you should write to your MP's. Most times if you can get to the brains somewhere inside those thick heads before it indeed becomes a positive action, most politico's will drop an idea like a hot brick if they have any idea that there will be public outrage.
AB[/QUOTE]

Taxation is a necessity to raise mone for the "running" of a country and British politicians are experts at that game. I remember that sitting for a radio officer's ticket I had to pay Five pounds to be allowed to sit the exam. In those days it was the equivalent of a lower income family weekly pay cheque.

In my post I had written newspaper but I had meant the political party in power. Stop this or else", one letter wont do it but if everyone in SN did it with a copy to a newspaper then it would be a GOOD start, why not do it today am sure postage for a local letter in the UK cannot be more than twenty or thirty bob!!

de chas

Binnacle
21st November 2008, 20:41
As internet speeds improve, so more and more viewing will move to internet sources. Licencing will become unenforceable, and the licencing system as we know it must collapse.

Some mention was made on BBC radio today that all BBC TV programmes will be available on internet within next couple of weeks. There is talk that as over 40,000 complaints have been ignored about Jonathon Ross and his obscene salary that viewers will refuse to pay to renew licence and watch on internet. As BBC "Trust" seem incapable of cleansing the house then politicians belatededly may realise that licence payers also have a vote and may act to remove the scum from the top. John Reith, the founding father of the BBC must be turning in his grave, he defined the BBC's role "to bring the best of everything to the greatest number of homes".

andysk
26th November 2008, 11:28
Gareth, Binnacle ...

Is this the article you are thinking about :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/3507066/BBC-launches-live-internet-programming---prompting-fears-about-licence-fee-future.html

Quote :

A spokesman said: ....... "We have a variety of ways of detecting people watching TV illegally and no matter which way they chose to watch it, we will find and prosecute them."

UnQuote

King Ratt
26th November 2008, 11:43
Why do you think the late unlamented Anthony Blair wanted every household in the UK to have a computer? It was precious little to do with "Educashun", but a fine way of extracting some more dosh from everyone when the inevitable "license" would be required.

Gareth Jones
26th November 2008, 12:07
Gareth, Binnacle ...

Is this the article you are thinking about :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/3507066/BBC-launches-live-internet-programming---prompting-fears-about-licence-fee-future.html

Quote :

A spokesman said: ....... "We have a variety of ways of detecting people watching TV illegally and no matter which way they chose to watch it, we will find and prosecute them."

UnQuote

Hi binnacle.

Good article, which backs up exactly what I say - the key phrase is "being aired".

This implies that if you watch anything put out on the internet by the BBC, so long as it's not being transmitted live at the same time then you don't need a licence to watch it!

Cheers,

Gareth.

Derek Roger
26th November 2008, 14:19
Being in Canada I often use the BBC radio service for sports if I can get it !!
I would not be averse to paying an annual fee if the BBC made their sports available to Canada for example .
A lot of Rugby ; Soccer and Cricket is blocked out in Canada . There is virtually no way to see or listen to a test match for example .

mutter mutter !! Derek

SailingAndy
13th January 2009, 16:36
I do like the BBC personally. However I do think the way it's funded is crap.

My feeling is as follows and I believe with the phasing out of analogue TV the technology exists to implement this.

The BBC should become a subscription service. You subscribe if you want the BBC. At the moment they have the ability to throw people in Jail for not paying a TV licence.

Anyway back to my grand plan of me.

So if you want the BBC buy a TopUpTV card for your digi box/Telesat box.
Or Subscribe to the likes of Sky or virgin media or NTL, who would pay the beeb if they want to broadcast their stuff and the cost would then be passed onto users.

Finally included in this subscription fee would be access to the BBC iPlayer site. Perhaps you could also have internet only cost for foriegn use?

It seems a ridiculous situation where I need to fund the BBC in order to use a TV which I may only wish to use to watch Sky sports, which uses a commercial broadcast network which the operator has paid a fee to the government - for radio bandwidth - to use the and I have to pay a further subscription fee.

Anyone else think something like this might work. Or does it sound like the half baked plan of a mad man?

BTW What happened to this proposal?

End of rant.

NoMoss
13th January 2009, 17:04

I used to live in France and got used to such signs.

An English friend of mine told me a story of when he was in a hurry to catch a ferry and did not stop at such a sign.
A policeman stopped him and pointed to the sign, saying (in French) to his companion: 'What is the English for Stop?'