Gilbert J Fowler

Fairfield
22nd March 2005, 14:15
I suppose this was a special purpose vessel for carrying sewage away to sea.She was built by Ferguson/s at Port Glasgow in 1971 for Manchester Corporation.With the new EEC rules like others of her type she became redundant and was sold and renamed CAPE GEORGEJEAN. Other than that I have no idea where she now plies.
The most noteworthy sludge vessel of course is SHIELDHALL,sold for service on the Solent and now preserved.Scots should hang their heads in shame that she was not kept on the Clyde.However,she is due to return later this year for 50th birthday celebration.

Bob S
23rd March 2005, 15:53
Seen at Newcastle during June 2000 as the CAPE GEORJEAN flying the Bolivian flag. Probably her new area of operation.

Fairfield
23rd March 2005, 22:02
Excellent Bob,thanks for showing that.Nice to see her in her new life.

Bob S
24th March 2005, 15:05
First time I saw or have seen a vessel registered in La Paz.

GRAHAM D
20th September 2008, 06:31
My Grandfather worked on these ships out of Manchester in the 1960's and 1970's his name was Tom Wilson, I lost contact with him before I went to sea in 1976 and would love to hear from anyone who knew him or anything about him. Please send me a message if you have any information.

Bob Lane
14th November 2008, 18:52
I worked on the GILBERT J FOWLER 1973 to 75, i was a humble galley boy and i knew your'e grandad(Tommy Wilson) very well, he was the Greaser/motorman.
I remember him heroically saving an engineers life by hauling him up a ladder from an air space after a C O 2 bottle burst.
A great man, never forgotten. sincerely Bob Lane.

Purser52
21st November 2008, 09:20
I spent most of the early 80s living in a flat in Flixton, Manchester, and I recall seeing these ships ply their trade along the Ship Canal (which ran across the end of my back garden!) From memory there were four in the fleet then : Gilbert J Fowler was one, her sister ship was Consortium 1, then there was the older and smaller Percy Dawson (?) and the very much older Mancunian. Despite their cargo (!) they always looked very smart as they passed en route to or from their base at Davyhulme. When the new treatment plants opened at Sandon Dock in Liverpool, the two bigger vessels transferred there and the two older vessels were withdrawn.

Pat Kennedy
21st November 2008, 19:50
I spent most of the early 80s living in a flat in Flixton, Manchester, and I recall seeing these ships ply their trade along the Ship Canal (which ran across the end of my back garden!) From memory there were four in the fleet then : Gilbert J Fowler was one, her sister ship was Consortium 1, then there was the older and smaller Percy Dawson (?) and the very much older Mancunian. Despite their cargo (!) they always looked very smart as they passed en route to or from their base at Davyhulme. When the new treatment plants opened at Sandon Dock in Liverpool, the two bigger vessels transferred there and the two older vessels were withdrawn.

Percy Dawson it was, we had her in drydock in Birkenhead a couple of times, and saw her and her sisters sail by everyday for years. Percy Dawson was called 'Percy Filth' and Gilbert J Fowler was known as 'Foul Gilbert' by the dockyard workers who had the misfortune to have to clean out the holding tanks for repainting.
I believe the Percy Dawson was sold to Cumbrian water authority and renamed Haweswater.
Pat

ducie
5th August 2009, 23:33
My Grandfather worked on these ships out of Manchester in the 1960's and 1970's his name was Tom Wilson, I lost contact with him before I went to sea in 1976 and would love to hear from anyone who knew him or anything about him. Please send me a message if you have any information.

HI GRAHAM. WE MEET IN THE SIXTYS AS YOUNG LADS, TOMMY WAS MY GRANDAD AS WELL. IF YOU REMEMBER TOM GAVE US BOTH AN ACTION MAN, I THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN AROUND XMAS TIME. DAVE