British Dredging

capital3
15th July 2007, 12:48
Anyone have any info on British Dredging and their Ships. I was Chief Engineer of the Bow Queen in the 60s and would love to see some photos of her.

All the Ships in the Fleet started with "Bow=====. The Bow Belle was the Dredger that ran over the Marchioness on the Thames with a great loss of life.

Jacktar1
15th July 2007, 12:55
Hello capital3, I remember the Bow Queen running in to Swansea, do you happen to remember a master named Fred or George Pearce ?
Cheers,
Glan

awateah2
15th July 2007, 14:06
There is a picture of the 'Susana Cristina' ex 'Bowqueen' posted in the gallery by Yvon on the 30th June. If you Email me I can send a couple more to you. Regards

vectiscol
20th July 2007, 22:19
I did several of the drawings - aft end, rudder, deckhouse - for Bowherald and Bowknight when I worked at Ailsa Shipbuilding Co, Troon.

booma
21st July 2007, 00:05
Hello capital3 and welcome i have been aboard most of the bow ships unfortunatly non of the bow ships are in service now. i have loads of photos of the bow ships and will be happy to pass them on if u email me
regards

gadgee
31st August 2007, 19:37
Capital3
Enter Gallery on this site and look for "search". Type in a vessels name eg. Bowbelle and you will find there are a few "Bow" dredgers pictured. Unfortunately if you type in just "bow" it will bring up all pics with bow in, most likely refering to a ships bow!!

NICK_XACT
25th December 2007, 19:52
Anyone have any info on British Dredging and their Ships. I was Chief Engineer of the Bow Queen in the 60s and would love to see some photos of her.

All the Ships in the Fleet started with "Bow=====. The Bow Belle was the Dredger that ran over the Marchioness on the Thames with a great loss of life.

Hi,
just done a search for the bowqueen with my dad (archie (geoff) Lines) who was also a chief engineer of the queen and on the belle in the 60-70's from Orchard wharf in Battersea.
any info would be great on the Ships or the Crew (hughi gunderson, john Coul, Les Round the list goes on) around that time

Best Regards
Nick Lines

sandman
25th December 2007, 22:02
The last new build under British Dredging was the Welsh Piper built in 87,now under cemex ownership.

awateah2
25th December 2007, 22:04
Sailed with your dad in the 'Bowqueen',1971 -73, Master was Hughie Gunderson,Chester Le Street R/Master Georgie Peck, Hull later John Jamieson, Hull then Tommy Howe,Hessle who was my best man and Godfather to my daughter, 2nd Mate Davie O'Connor, Fleetwood & myself. The 2nd Engineer was Alan Conroy from Worcester. It was Orchard Wharf on the Isle of Dogs and Nine Elms wharf in Battersea . Other people I remember were John Smith from Findochty (Bowfleet), Les Waugh from Hull,(Instow) Arthur Hounslow (Bowtrader) from the London area. Jimmy Ewing,Scottish but living in Dover (Instow), Ronnie Taylor ,Hull (Instow) & Ronnie Regan.Hull (Moderator) & The Gawthorpes from Hessle Rd and the infamous cook /Steward 'Harry the Hare'. Shore staff I remember were Arthur Thomas (Personnel) & Capt John Bright Marine Superintendent
Regards

RayJordandpo
26th December 2007, 07:25
I recall a dredger mate from Hull called Ronnie Gawthorpe. I was with him in Westminster Dredging or South Coast Shipping, I can't remember. He also went on the anchor handling tugs in the North Sea for either Theriot or Seaspan, there again I can't remember which.
Ray Jordan

norman.r
26th December 2007, 09:45
As mate I sailed with John Jamieson as master on "Bowknight" in the early 80's and then on "Bowbelle" with John Coull and Tommy Howe as master.
Norman

NICK_XACT
26th December 2007, 14:38
Sailed with your dad in the 'Bowqueen', Master was Hughie Gunderson,Chester Le Street R/Master Georgie Peck, Hull later John Jamieson, Hull then Tommy Howe,Hessle who was my best man and Godfather to my daughter, 2nd Mate Davie O'Connor, Fleetwood & myself. The 2nd Engineer was Alan Conroy from Worcester. It was Orchard Wharf on the Isle of Dogs and Nine Elms wharf in Battersea . Other people I remember were John Smith from Findochty (Bowfleet), Les Waugh from Hull,(Instow) Arthur Hounslow (Bowtrader) from the London area. Jimmy Ewing,Scottish but living in Dover (Instow), Ronnie Taylor ,Hull (Instow) & Ronnie Regan.Hull (Moderator) & The Gawthorpes from Hessle Rd and the infamous cook /Steward 'Harry the Hare'
Regards

Hi, you just made the old man's day. sorry did not get you name. if you or anyone has some pics of the crews/ships it would be great if you could send me some (email address removed as per site policy please use PM to make intial contact) as i am trying to put togeather a scrap book type thing for my dad. The only time i see the old (82)fella smile these days is when we are chatting about the times on board and the stuff that went on!

Thanks again as its has made his day

Best Regards
Nick Lines
Nick_xact@hotmail.com

awateah2
26th December 2007, 22:04
Hi Ray,
There were 'The 2 Ronnies', Ronnie senior who was in the 'Instow' as 2nd Engineer. He was an ex Trawler Engineer and his son 'Young' Ronnie who must have been the one you sailed with. There was also Wally Gawthorpe who sailed in the 'Instow' at the same time as cook.He baked fresh 'Busters' every morning and filled them with bacon and Eggs fantastic !!! The family were well known in the Dee St club area for their pugilistic skills. We ran regularly at that time into Old Harbour, just below Ranks Mill. Our watering hole was the 'Bush' although that was only a nickname, I think it was called the 'Waterloo'. I used the 'Manny Arms' and met a lot of people there . Very Happy days !!!!
regards

RayJordandpo
27th December 2007, 09:18
Hi Ray,
There were 'The 2 Ronnies', Ronnie senior who was in the 'Instow' as 2nd Engineer. He was an ex Trawler Engineer and his son 'Young' Ronnie who must have been the one you sailed with. There was also Wally Gawthorpe who sailed in the 'Instow' at the same time as cook.He baked fresh 'Busters' every morning and filled them with bacon and Eggs fantastic !!! The family were well known in the Dee St club area for their pugilistic skills. We ran regularly at that time into Old Harbour, just below Ranks Mill. Our watering hole was the 'Bush' although that was only a nickname, I think it was called the 'Waterloo'. I used the 'Manny Arms' and met a lot of people there . Very Happy days !!!!
regards

Maybe our paths crossed. I served with United Towing for thirteen years and used 'Manny Arms' regularly in the seventies and eighties. I remember when Terry Gay, Danny Betts and Les Derret (whose brother wrote the stability books) attended Hull Nautical College (I believe you mentioned this in a previous thread) I followed them shortly after. I certainly remember Dee Street club and all the other pubs and clubs used by the local seamen and trawlermen of tha era. I did a couple of trips on dredgers for Westminster and South Coast but it wasn't really to my liking and soon moved on to supply boats then DP in the Offshore game. Ronnie Gawthorpe as I recall was certainly a 'colourful' character to say the least.
Take care
Ray Jordan

capital3
12th February 2008, 19:51
Just a quickie to tell you that Orchard Wharf was not at Battersea it was where Canary Wharf now stands at the bottom of Leamouth Road in Poplar.

It was only the Bow Ships built to go under the Bridges on the Thames that went to Battersea. The Bowqueen had no meants of doing so.

booma
14th February 2008, 20:06
Hello to all it was the bowtrader bowbelle & the bowsprite that whent to battersea wich was called nine elms. I remember orchard wharf well and yes it is at poplar not well suited for the thips that discharged there too shallow the crain never worked so the likes of the trader and so on could not discharge there. Does any one remember OZZY who used to work there nice chap and I can remember another plant just around the other side of the isle of dogs but cant remember the name.

Barry Man
15th February 2008, 18:37
There have been photographs of almost all of these ships in Coastal Shipping magazine over the last few years.

Gareth Jones
15th February 2008, 18:49
Did'nt the Bow Queen sink in the mouth of the Thames during the late 60's ? If I remember correctly with the loss of the Master and his wife and two crew members ? She must have been subsequently salvaged or was she replaced ?

kenneth crosby
29th April 2008, 02:26
my greatest memory of british dredging ,i was cook on the Bow Herald and we had skippers that were identical twinsoften worked back to back well i had great crack with one of them but came unstuck one morning when they had relieved each other without my knowledge ,it went a little bit like this , ellom skip you fat baldy bast**d what the F**k would you like for breakfast today is it the usual cholestorel killer and weight watchers special you fat g*t,expecting the usual crack well if your a cook crippen was innocent,i got it the other way ,who the f*****g h**l do you think your talking to so i replied you you , fat c**Tas any body told you youve only got one ars***e so ease up un it you fat get ,well the mouthfull of abuse and the signals i got from the chief engineer were enough to let me know id blew it , after a day or so we both saw the funny side of it and no grudge was held but i had to treat him with a bit more respect p,s, sacked the following trip one more for why i was sacked,

capital3
19th April 2009, 21:59
Did'nt the Bow Queen sink in the mouth of the Thames during the late 60's ? If I remember correctly with the loss of the Master and his wife and two crew members ? She must have been subsequently salvaged or was she replaced ?

See my Post about the Bowqueen sinking (there was only three people lost Mcgrattan, his wife and a Maltese Seaman who was found in the Galley when she was raised. There were 3 Crew and the Skippers Wife listed as missing but the 4th person was I, who luckily was at home watching the rescue on TV.

Gorhol
24th April 2009, 23:16
Hi all.

A couple of items that may be of interest, Dredger Bowbelle sank off the island of Madeira in 1996, renamed Bom Rei, this may have been covered elsewhere on SN. However this site has some good pictures of the wreck.

http://www.scuba-madeira.com/englisch/wrecks.html

Also, I stumbled across a transcript of the Woolwich radio transmissions from the night of the Marchioness incident.

http://www.marchioness-bowbelle.org.uk/documents/pdf's/COR_00410.pdf

Regards
Gor

tonya54
1st June 2009, 18:08
now i am on welsh piper i have been on sand kite

smartcar
19th April 2011, 08:12
I can remember another plant just around the other side of the isle of dogs but cant remember the name.

Union Wharf, dreadful berth to get on to, almost as bad as Orchard :-) When I was first made up to Master with South Coast I went on to the Bow Trader (taking over from Eddie Sprunks) then later on to the Bowknight - renamed Sand Kite.

Peter

mickconnolley
12th October 2012, 18:22
i did the maiden voyage on the bow knight under ralp story well nice skipper and a good crew.Sailed from cardiff to dordrech via the ship wash bank

taffos
15th October 2012, 21:59
My father Graham Sommerfield was mate later Master on Bowstar, BowLine Bowcrest working from Bowles wharf in the late 70's

gert2012
22nd December 2012, 22:42

the video: http://www.isaris.nl/ppm/dredging/index.php?movie=FcuOMMxZHfE

Rob Pithers
23rd December 2012, 13:35
Tried to watch that. Afraid I couldn't watch such a sad end to a ship I had the 'pleasure' of sailing in (directly pre-Marchioness, there but for the Grace of God go I ). She wasn't a bad ship, or badly crewed, just the wrong place at the wong time.
Rob

ixion
29th January 2013, 14:53
Does anyone have any recollection of the Bowherald and Bowknight ? being laid up in the River Blackwater in the late 1970s or early 1980s ? (See http://www.merseamuseum.org.uk/mmshipping.php )

NICK_XACT
2nd October 2013, 02:08
Hi, you just made the old man's day. sorry did not get you name. if you or anyone has some pics of the crews/ships it would be great if you could send me some (email address removed as per site policy please use PM to make intial contact) as i am trying to put togeather a scrap book type thing for my dad. The only time i see the old (82)fella smile these days is when we are chatting about the times on board and the stuff that went on!

Thanks again as its has made his day

Best Regards
Nick Lines
Nick_xact@hotmail.com

Well me beloved dad has left port for the last time at the ripe old age of 87 years 11 months - full ahead chief and god bless xxx

Dave Hayes
3rd April 2014, 20:01
I worked as an engineer mainly at Orchard Wharf back in the 70's. I knew Ossie Osman well and remember the crane drivers Sammy and Bill Bailey, who were based at Orchard Wharf. Ron was the other crane driver based at West Ferry Rd. Had many beers with both who were good card players. The place was ran by an ex copper Jim Barrett and I was still employed when the company was taken over.

I remember working with three fitters, who worked on all the ships, Pete Baggot, Bob Hobbs and Ron Greenwood.

The guys in the office were Brian Dunn, Alan Champness and Mr Griffiths.

We was made redundant in 1983 when Thames Ship Repair was formed and we was based in KG5 dock where I saw the first plane land on the road between where the warehouses used to stand.

After about one year the firm moved to a new yard at Chatham docks, where we parted company. I would be interested if anyone has photos of the two wharves.

roverj
2nd August 2014, 14:06
My grandad billy Patterson was engineer on the bowline 50/60s never at home on school holidays I remember two steam dredgers from bowles delorane & sunfold

DURANGO
2nd August 2014, 15:20
I was AB in the Bowpride in the late 60,s