Orient Pioneer/Rudby

jd0459
20th July 2007, 00:17
The orient pioneer was abandon and sank in the indian ocean @ 17.57s/76.09e.Is there a web site that tells what happend to the ship.

john

gdynia
20th July 2007, 08:12
Theres a small entry about her on following

http://www.mlit.go.jp/english/maritime/bcfsa/msc75/annex3.pdf

Cranky
20th July 2007, 09:46
The orient pioneer was abandon and sunk in the indian ocean @ 17.57s/76.09e.Is there a web site that tells what happend to the ship.

john

Hi, john. I think perhaps "abandoned and sank" would sound better, but as I was not present at the time, maybe your'e right.(EEK)
I was 3rd mate on the Rudby in the early 70's and remember seeing repairs done on buckled web frames between holds (which holds I don't remember) but the word at the time was "built in stress"!!!!
It could have been a factor in her demise, I don't know. I left her soon after the repairs.
The Rudby wasn't the best I'd sailed on, but she had a good crowd on board.

jd0459
20th July 2007, 23:43
Hi cranky
Yes you are correct i should of said sank not useing my grammer,
but has you know when you are on a ship for a long time it be comes part of your life and was interrested to find out what happend to her,
flooding in cargo holds through fractured duct keel and twisted upper deck.

john

non descript
21st July 2007, 00:50
John, fear not, you may well be correct with you original text...

It is quite odd, one of the records of Ropners, uses this text: “Rudby, 1980 sold to Liberia renamed Orient Pioneer, 1990 abandoned and sunk in Indian Ocean.” – I am beginning to wonder if the phrase is actually correct after all and she was indeed sent to the bottom in a deliberate act?

It needs more investigation, but it may be more not than a coincidence that they also use the same word (sunk)

Regards
Mark

non descript
21st July 2007, 01:02
Not a lot of progress; all I have found sunsequently, is a report that states: "Flooding in cargo holds through fractured duct keel and twisted upper deck. Foundered in Jan 90." - that seems to suggest my ethusiasm to protect your inital text and use of the word "sunk" is possibly misplaced, and like many ships in the early 90's was indeed lost whilst fully laden.

Cranky
21st July 2007, 02:18
Hi cranky
Yes you are correct i should of said sank not useing my grammer,
but has you know when you are on a ship for a long time it be comes part of your life and was interrested to find out what happend to her,
flooding in cargo holds through fractured duct keel and twisted upper deck.

john

john, I wasn't having a go at your expense, it just struck me as funny. I had this image of a pi$$ed-off crew deciding to sink the ship. I'm the last one who should play at being 'the grammar police.'
And you are so right about ships sailed on becoming a part of your life.
It got me to thinking, I wonder which is worse, reading that a ship you sailed on has been sent to the breakers to be torn apart, or that she went down and is lying deep in the arms of 'the old grey widow maker' somewhere.

jd0459
21st July 2007, 13:34
Hi cranky
It never crossed my mind that you were pulling me on my grammer,
But there is a difference in sank and sunk,as tonga says it states abandond and sunk on the web site i found it on,www.aandc.org/research/ropner ,this will also give you every ship owend and managed by ropners.
Once again no offence felt
John

Billy1963
21st July 2007, 13:49
RUDBY (3), 57,255grt, built 1971(Harland & Wolff, Belfast) for the Ropner Shipping Co. Ltd. 1980 sold to Liberia renamed ORIENT PIONEER. 8th January 1990 damaged in heavy seas and abandoned in the Indian Ocean on voyage from Tubarao, Brazil to Kaohsiung, Taiwan with cargo of iron ore. Finally sank 21st January.

jd0459
21st July 2007, 21:11
RUDBY (3), 57,255grt, built 1971(Harland & Wolff, Belfast) for the Ropner Shipping Co. Ltd. 1980 sold to Liberia renamed ORIENT PIONEER. 8th January 1990 damaged in heavy seas and abandoned in the Indian Ocean on voyage from Tubarao, Brazil to Kaohsiung, Taiwan with cargo of iron ore. Finally sank 21st January.

Hi billy thanks for that info thats what i have been looking for
regards John

David Wilcockson
3rd September 2007, 21:36
(jd0459) John
That site you put up concerning Ropners, are all the bits & pieces there as I can`t get into it.
Cranky
I too had the dubious pleasure of sailing on the Rudby but nearer 1979. She was owned by Zodiac Shppg. at the time of sinking.
David

jd0459
6th September 2007, 15:39
hi david try this www.aandc.org/research/ropner.html
john(Thumb)