Go back To Sea

rivet
21st July 2007, 20:24
'Go Back To Sea' Author The Reverend Canon Keith Corless
ISBN 978-0-9554750-0-9
published by Carthouse Publishing
The Rocket Carthouse, 1 Tanners Close, Brockworth, Gloucestershire,
GL3 4QN
This book is a must for all you old ships engineers, its written by someone that's been there and done it.
16:95 plus p&p
Rivet

Graham Wallace
20th March 2015, 06:13
'Go Back To Sea' Author The Reverend Canon Keith Corless
ISBN 978-0-9554750-0-9
published by Carthouse Publishing
The Rocket Carthouse, 1 Tanners Close, Brockworth, Gloucestershire,
GL3 4QN
This book is a must for all you old ships engineers, its written by someone that's been there and done it.
16:95 plus p&p
Rivet

I was digging around in this section of SN for a certain topic and fell over this thread , even though it is nearly 8 years old I must make a comment . I have the feeling there is another thread I wrote on Keith but not sure if and where it is, so here goes.

Keith Corless was a 1953 BP Marine Engineering Apprentices one of the first few as this BP Apprenticeship scheme only fully started in September 1952. There was a trial year in 1951 when there were only 3.

Keith spent the first two years of his Apprenticeship at Swansea Technical college taking his OND in Mechanical/and Marine Engineering. On finishing his OND he went to sea as an Engineer Apprentice for the next 18 months as was the norm then. At the end of his seatime his did one years heavy engineering Shipyard , Engine builders etc ( which is unfortunately unknown to me). At that time he started getting interested in religion and instead of signing a two year contract with BP (which is what was expected at the time) he left BP and the sea and went into the church.

For the next two years his life was the church but his conscience was pricking him and he went to his Bishop telling him of his circumstances of leaving BP before fullfilling his unofficial contract.

His Bishop said,"Go Back to Sea" and fulfill your duties. He evidently got in touch with DG Alcock ( many BP EA's will remember him) who was BP Engineering Apprentices Superintendent and went back to sail on one of BP's Border vessels ( his previous life would not be known there) a Junior Engineer on Klondike Shipping Co and Thackery Chine Co(?) JE and 4E and passed his Second Class MOT Motor certificate in Swansea and went back to the Church.

He eventually rose to be a Bishop within his church, retired in 2000 and died around 2007, 6 months before his book was published

I never met Keith Corless in person but was in touch with him in December 2001 when he sent me a personal letter.

I was in touch with his widow in 2010 and she sent me a copy of Keith's book

The 1953 BP EA intake at Swansea Tech was a tightknit group who as far as I know were the ealiest to start their own reunion in the early 1990's, a few have since died. But I am regularly in touch with one , Eric Carter with whom I worked in Toronto, he still lives on the banks of the St Lawrence river in Ontario.
Graham