Unknown Bank Line Ship

Iriscable Fairy
22nd July 2007, 06:17
I have been going through my photographs from the loft and found this picture of a Bank Line ship (at least I hope it's attached) - I am guessing it is either Lossiebank, Maplebank,Inverbank, Roybank or Crestbank -

Does anyone have any idea?

regards
Richard Collinson

zelo1954
22nd July 2007, 08:28
One thing I can say is that it is very definitely one of the Harland & Wolff rather than the Doxford vessels. They always have a thicker black top to the funnel than the Doxford variety. That elimates about 1/2 the possibilities. Stick to late 50s early 60s.

Iriscable Fairy
22nd July 2007, 08:49
Thanks - I should have said that i know that it was taken between '72 and 69 'cos one of the photos with it shows me with 2/Os stripes. I just don't know which one!

thanks

Richard Collinson

johnmilne
22nd July 2007, 08:56
I have been going through my photographs from the loft and found this picture of a Bank Line ship (at least I hope it's attached) - I am guessing it is either Lossiebank, Maplebank,Inverbank, Roybank or Crestbank -

Does anyone have any idea?

regards
Richard Collinson

It looks like a Harland and Wolf and would say it could be the Crestbank.The first in a large number of vessels like this. I was on one the Ashbank.

John Milne

Iriscable Fairy
22nd July 2007, 09:08
It looks like a Harland and Wolf and would say it could be the Crestbank.The first in a large number of vessels like this. I was on one the Ashbank.

John Milne

Most excellent John - looking at the name of the ship on the original photograph through a glass "Crestbank" has the correct number of letters although I can't make out what they are - so I reckon that's the ship

many thanks

Richard Collinson

The Captain
22nd July 2007, 10:07
Going about it scientifically, I down loaded the photo and blew it up by 800% and lo and behold we find a very blurred five letter first name which I would also say it is the Crestbank. I would definately discount the Inverbank and the Lossiebank because the shape of the letters dont seem to fit. So it looks like John Milne was correct. I can't remember where either the Inver or Lossie where built but I think they were the same class as the Ashbank which was H & W.

John

Iriscable Fairy
22nd July 2007, 10:15
Thanks John - all the best Richard Collinson

anthony lear
22nd July 2007, 10:42
Attached A Shot Of The Crestbank As Renak.
The Picture Appeared On The Riversea Site Sometime Recently:
Trust Their Is No Problem With Showing It Here. Never Sure What The Position Is On Using Photos
Tony Lear

Tony Breach
22nd July 2007, 12:19
Hi Guys,
Just been through my WSS Bank Line book to find all of the H&W Crestbank sisters which are, minus the Bank suffix:
CLOVER, CREST, CARRON, DART, GARRY, MINCH, ROSE, ASH, PINE, ELM, AVON, LEVERN.
Only 3 have 5 letters so will leave it up to the experts.

Just one point: as my old shipmate from the ASHBANK, John Milne, has said
CRESTBANK was the first of the class & I have always beleived this &, as far as I can recollect, they were known in Bank Line as the CRESTBANK Class.
However, my book states that the CLOVERBANK was delivered March 1957 while the CRESTBANK was delivered June 1957. This is confirmed by LR & the official numbers CLOVERBANK 300165 & CRESTBANK 300174 indicate that CLOVERBANK was in fact the lead ship. Any comments on this?

Tony.

R58484956
22nd July 2007, 17:04
MV Inverbank 5151 tons built 1924 by H&W Glasgow with both engines built by H&W.
MV Lossie bank 5634 tons built 1930 by Workman Clark (1928) Belfast.Both engines built by Shipbuilder.
Looking at photos perhaps you are refering to a much later build of vessel.

Tmac1720
22nd July 2007, 20:00
I consulted a few H&W "oul hands" and we feel sure this indeed the CRESTBANK as the other candidate GARRYBANK had a slightly different rigging arrangement as she was later in the class, however the Cloverbank did have the same rigging as Crestbank and therefore it might be her.(unfortunately our old eyes can't pick out if the ship in the photograph has five or six letters in her name) Class details as follows:
Yard number 1548 Cloverbank launched 21st December 1956 delivered 7th March 1957.
Yard number 1549 Crestbank launched 15th February 1957 delivered 7th June 1957.
Yard number 1550 Carronbank launched 30th May 1957 delivered 27th September 1957.
Yard number 1551 Dartbank launched 28th August 1957 delivered 17th January 1958.
Yard number 1552 Garrybank launched 27th December 1957 delivered 2nd April 1958.
Yard number 1553 Minchbank launched 19th June 1958 delivered 25th September 1958.

As the class progressed we incorporated several small design changes into the vessels based on feedback from the owner and our own product development.

Tony Breach
24th July 2007, 20:17
I found these H&W ships to be some of the finest looking 'no-frills' cargo ships I have seen. Clean handsome lines, proper funnel, sensible cargo rig & a sensible owners livery. They were not only exceptionally good cargo carriers, they were a joy to behold at full speed when down to their marks. A shame we will not again see their like - guess I'm getting old & nostalgic...

Tony

carbman
16th August 2007, 16:56
And I was lucky enough to spend 15 happy months on one, tramping the world, during my first trip as a cadet. 1964-66. Though I don't ever remember her being referred to in such glowing terms. The Avonbank, under the command of Capt. Bannach. Happy days!!

jd0459
16th August 2007, 22:25
Crestbank 1957 6459ton, Renamed Rena.k 1973,srapped Split 8/4/78.
Garrybank 1958 6453ton, Renamed Chieu-sheng 74, Chi Ho 76, Scrap 28/8/79.
Minchbank 1958 8294 Ton, 72 Aegis Grace, 78 Grace, Scrap 28/4/79.
John

Tony Breach
17th August 2007, 10:47
Hi Carbman,

I sailed on the ASHBANK as third mate with Alfie Bannach in 1964. He was a gentleman & a fine seaman. In early 1965 when I was third mate on the BEAVERBANK, Donald Campbell, master, I visited the AVONBANK at Rabaul to pay my respects to Capt. Bannach & enjoyed a friendly chat & a couple of beers with him. He passed away in March 2005.

Tony

carler
19th September 2007, 12:34
Its not the Inverbank!

non descript
19th September 2007, 13:10
Its not the Inverbank!

That is agreed; it is the Crestbank

monty
20th September 2007, 13:00
Tony, If you go back to the Riversea site and scroll right to the bottom you will find all you need to know about postings. Regards Pete

boatlarnie
29th December 2007, 09:06
Hi Richard,
I would bet on this being the Garrybank, certainly she is a Harland & Wolff vessel built in the late 1950's or possibly early 60'2. Her name on the bow appears to have 5 letters preceeding BANK so that is my bet.

Regards and Happy 2008,
Alan Smaldon

non descript
29th December 2007, 10:37
Alan,
I appreciate your input on this, but Tmac's comments at #11 (consulted a few H&W "oul hands" and we feel sure this indeed the CRESTBANK as the other candidate GARRYBANK had a slightly different rigging arrangement as she was later in the class) tend to suggest that the conclusion we reached earlier is indeed correct and she is CRESTBANK.
(Thumb)
Mark

Dozy
2nd April 2008, 11:43
Hi Guys,
Just been through my WSS Bank Line book to find all of the H&W Crestbank sisters which are, minus the Bank suffix:
CLOVER, CREST, CARRON, DART, GARRY, MINCH, ROSE, ASH, PINE, ELM, AVON, LEVERN.
Only 3 have 5 letters so will leave it up to the experts.

Just one point: as my old shipmate from the ASHBANK, John Milne, has said
CRESTBANK was the first of the class & I have always beleived this &, as far as I can recollect, they were known in Bank Line as the CRESTBANK Class.
However, my book states that the CLOVERBANK was delivered March 1957 while the CRESTBANK was delivered June 1957. This is confirmed by LR & the official numbers CLOVERBANK 300165 & CRESTBANK 300174 indicate that CLOVERBANK was in fact the lead ship. Any comments on this?

to Tony.

I served on the Carronbank from 1967to 1969 and there was a plaque aboard (in the office) describing this as a, "Cloverbank Class". Sorry to disagree as I am very-much a new boy to this forum, don't want to ruffle any feathers.

pete
2nd April 2008, 18:54
If that is not the Crestbank I will eat my Steaming Bonnet (Which I think blew off somewhere in the Java Sea)............................pete

Glyn C Winskill
9th January 2009, 18:37
I served on the olive bank in the mid seventies. Looked a lot like that one.

pete l
22nd January 2009, 20:05
I think the ship was the CLOVERBANK.I was on her 1959-1960
We left her in W.Africa and flown home to Southend airport on
a Vickers Viking,a 35 seater twin engined aircraft It took nearly
two days,with an overnight stop in Casablanca.The ship was
going from W Africa to S America,I was on the ship about 17 months.

Pete L.

m shann
22nd January 2009, 21:47
Hi guys
Definately H & W they all, I think had the raised poop deck where Doxford
did'nt. Not the Inverbank I finished my apprenticeship on that vessel, early
70s

ussubmarine
25th February 2009, 23:26
Good evening Gentlemen, I've just found this site and looking at the "Marie Celestbank" as in the photo, I recon she's the Carronbank ! Why, I have a post card of the Carronbank and the likeness is uncanny. also unless all the 57 to 60 something ships were real sisters, for some unknown reason I seem to remember that only the Carronbank was equiped with a "Jumbo dereck" on the foredeck. Carronbank was my first ship. In May/June 1972 she returned from 15/16 years on the Far east run (from new) to the Thames where I joined her and went via the South Pacific Islands down to New Guinea.
Does that help at all,
Regards
Gordon Carey (was 2nd lecky then)

K urgess
25th February 2009, 23:38
Welcome to the crew, Gordon.
I'm afraid you're a little late, the majority seem to agree this is the Crestbank.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.

R58484956
26th February 2009, 10:06
Greetings Gordon and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

BASHER
15th May 2009, 14:17
The DARTBANK maiden voyage was MAY 59 I was on her then.

BASHER

Alistair Macnab
15th May 2009, 15:18
This question was correctly resolved close to the beginning of the thread. Given the choices of ships outlined by Richard, its undoubtedly the "Crestbank
" which was the second ship of the "Cloverbank" Class from Harland & Wolff Belfast.
The other choices: "Lossiebank", "Maplebank" and "Roybank" were also Harland's ships but with the following characteristics that identify each as not the same ship in the photogtaph:
"Lossiebank" Accommodation on Boat Deck all the way to the ship's side with no alleyway;
"Maplebank" a 15,000 tonner with the second deck accommodation all the way to the ship's side with the boat deck one above;
"Roybank" a 12,500 tonner similar in midships house to "Maplebank".

The one Doxford ship cited, the "Inverbank" is altogether different. For one thing, the "Inverbank" has no topmasts but has a signal mast over the bridge and for another, she has the "pepperpot" streamlined funnel.

Stumps
7th August 2009, 15:43
Through my super strength magnifying glass it says "CRESTBANK" - so reckon it is her.As omeone also said the H&W., ships had a raised poop and cruiser stern.

Alistair Macnab
7th August 2009, 15:55
Just to confuse the issue, Stumps, the Doxford ships: "Northbank", "Forresbank" and "Trentbank" also had poops! But they could not be confused with Harland and Wolff ships!