Pretoria Castle (crew info)

nobby s
23rd July 2007, 14:00
Hi to all ex U/C lads. While I was on the "Southern Cross" (Shaw Sav.) 1963
we picked up a DBS (cant remember where now) by the name of Bob West. He was from Brading on the I.O.W. and a deckhand. It turned out he had relations living in the same village as me whom I knew very well. We became very good pals and decided to find a ship together. However as I was getting married when we arrived in Southampton, he was going to do at trip on the Pretoria. I dont remember how but the next I heard was of his death. I was told that as the ship was leaving Capetown homeward bound and he fell from a bosuns chair while soogying the mast down. This was put down to an epileptic fit (an epileptic deckhand Idont think so!!!) Slightly pi****d perhaps? Was anyone there who could perhaps tell me more and not leave me wondering?????

melliget
26th September 2007, 21:40
On which ship did he die, nobby - the Southern Cross or the Pretoria? And how sure are you about the year? Do you recall the month?

regards,
Martin

K urgess
26th September 2007, 22:30
You may have to wait a while for a reply, Martin.
Nobby hasn't logged on to the site since July.

Regards

melliget
27th September 2007, 13:13
Yeah thanks, no problem. Sometimes these sorts of incidents were reported in The Times so I did some quick searches but failed to turn up anything, so just wanted to confirm details before looking further.

regards,
Martin

nobby s
30th September 2007, 22:11
Hi Melliget, sorry but been out of circulation for a while. I'm certain of the year '63 as thats when I got married (June 1st) so probably June,July or August I would of thought. Thanks very much for the interest and hope you have luck with the search. Kind regards buddy.
(Sorry I forgot to confirm it was the "Pretoria")