All our Yesterdays

Daffyd
25th July 2007, 19:57
This is part of my naval career and a most memorable part of my own "YESTERDAYS" Having joined the Navy in the early 1950's through until 1959 this covers some of my old ships and the ocasional brush with Royalty.

http://www.davidburt.co.uk/yesterday/hms_vanguard.htm

http://www.davidburt.co.uk/yesterday/hms_albion.htm

R58484956
26th July 2007, 12:34
Interesting website, thanks for sharing it with us.

CEYLON220
15th August 2007, 10:15
Very interesting reading mate,enjoyed your closing joke, nice one.

al1934
16th August 2007, 12:33
Thanks for sharing your fascinating website, David. You have put a lot of work into that.

I visited Plymouth Navy Days in 1950, while still at school, went onboard VANGUARD and was smitten. I joined January'51. Some ship, I remember!

AncientBrit
14th October 2007, 10:35
A little added historical detail if you will:-
HMS Swiftsure indeed acted as the enemy target ship but was not damaged by rough weather. On the first night after rejoining the bulk of the fleet, and while all ships were "darkened" HMS Diamond made a error in a fleet course change message and plowed into the Swiftsure just below the bridge. We burned from the waterline to the bridge and at one time were being steered from the after emergency conning position. We made it safely to a bay in Iceland where a wood and concrete coffer-dam was constructed inside the hull and the basic necessities were rigged for conning from the bridge for the impending trip back to Chatham. The sea, which prior to the collission had been so wild, was almost like a mill-pond for our trip home.
For myself, a somewhat eventful first real ship. I watched Swiftsure depart the dockyard and head downriver from where I was cleaning windows in the barracks. The following day I was called to the drafting office and told to pack my kit because I was joining HMS Swiftsure at Invergordon. Three weeks later I was back in the same barrack block wearing the only clothing I had, seaboots, serge trousers, an over large officers shirt with no collar and an oil-stained Commanders jacket complete with three gold rings Hahaha
To complete the idiocy, as we were marched through the dockyard gate into the barracks, a CPO of the barrack guard was going to put me on charge for not wearing a hat.

One day, many, many years ago, there was an honest politician.
But is was many, many years ago and only for one day!