Aero-Naut 'Torben' tug - general question

ddraigmor
30th July 2007, 13:10
Hi all,

I know I've posted before------- Aero Naut say this kit is suitable for the beginner. Can anyone who knows the kit point me in the direction of whether it is, any reviews, buildings etc?

I don't want to cmmitt to a kit that requires a bandsaw and all that - something that I can build and detail relatively easily is my aim - but equally, something that can be used!

Model skill level? Beginner - but what constitutes that....?

Link for the model: http://www.aero-naut.net/index.php?id=188&L=1

Jonty

nhp651
30th July 2007, 17:11
you'll never know, jonty until you buy and try. if you can modify a model likew you did with the dickie then you'll be able to build a beginners model kit. trust me.

ddraigmor
30th July 2007, 20:47
Ta for the vote of confidence - I am still working on that Dickie, by the way! Will post when she's 'almost there'!

Jonty

Jim MacIntyre
30th July 2007, 21:30
Hello Jonty
The web site says the tug has a plastic hull. That usually means you can dispense with bandsaws and the like. you might have to clean up with a sharp knife and a sanding block.
My only experience with aero-naut is with their fittings which in my opinion are pretty good.
Go for it....
Jim Mac

Jim MacIntyre
30th July 2007, 21:47
Jonty - is someone keeping an eye on you ???
Before the Summer is over you'll have your Dickie out in the pond, a Fuchs on the foreshore while Torben is standing by ..... If your next acquisition is a 'Cutty Sark' I don't even want to open the message....
Jim Mac

ddraigmor
30th July 2007, 23:39
Jim,

Ha! The 'Dickie' wont sail - she's too rough and is a starter boat after all! I'll leave her in the lounge as a 'talking point'!

The 'Fuchs' was a confidence builder (and cheap on e-bay) and I have every intention of giving it a go to get her in the water - but with mods. The mast needs changing, the bollards are wrong, the forewinch is a joke.....

The 'Torben' looks fairly easy-ish. Plastic mostly, pre-cut so if I am right, it means I can assemble her with the very, very minium of fuss, re-name her and paint in my own colours, maybe add an extre detail or two - and then fit her out. Is that about right? I looked at Billing's 'Bankert' as well - but she has wood parts and I thought if I was let loose on those I'd make a mess - beside, she isn't labelled a 'beginner' whereas the 'Torben' is....

She wont be here for a while lads, so settle down! I need that magic boost of confidence that makes you order and then - when you press the button - sit back and think 'Oh my God...what have I let myself in for....?'

Jonty

Jim MacIntyre
2nd August 2007, 05:03
Nae worries Jonty
My problem on e-Bay is twofold :
1) I'm a Scot so my approach is a nickel at a time.
2) I'm too damn nosey and want to find out exactly how much the other guy bid.
So I usually forget the maximum price I had in mind to begin with, keep putting my nickels in and end up paying too much then spend the next several days trying to come up with a story for the wife as to why I needed it in the first place...

One point about wooden kits though - I think almost all of them these days are 'laser' cut. This is usually a very precise and clean system and you can accomplish much of the fitting with a sharp knife and some sandpaper. Just looking at the 'Torben' specs in the web site you'll probably have some laser cut superstructure to work with..

Cheers
Jim Mac

ddraigmor
2nd August 2007, 16:19
Oo'er now that has put me off! I am useless with fine tools - but if I had £600, this is what I would go for:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner_rotterdam.html

I wouldn't have to worry about anything but towing things, being the centre of attention and all that.....

Then again, there are some ready built and ready to sail models on e-bay so I might just keep my options 'open'!

Being divorced means I have no other half to worry about re.finances but I do have a conciense...and that can be just as bad!

Jonty

Jim MacIntyre
3rd August 2007, 04:15
Well, Jonty if they prove too difficult just list them on e-Bay. You'll probably see someone bidding a nicle at a time.......
Any time you get to a tough spot just think 'I could've spent 600 quid on the Smit Rotterdam and I would still have to do some soldering...'
Cheers
Jim Mac

ddraigmor
3rd August 2007, 15:59
Ah Jim, that's what I am doing......'is £600 worth it?'......!

Jonty