Ugland Car Carriers

ibuthead
31st July 2007, 03:07
Any one out there from uglands

timo
25th September 2007, 23:43
I was with Uglands - worked on their North sea boats in the early 80's and on the car carriers end of the 80's. I was on all of the car boats at some time or other.

John Cassels
26th September 2007, 07:59
I was with Uglands - worked on their North sea boats in the early 80's and on the car carriers end of the 80's. I was on all of the car boats at some time or other.

Ever come across Ken Marshall - Master.

timo
26th September 2007, 08:57
The name dos'nt ring a bell, I spent most of my time with Uglands on the car carriers-87 till 90, I'm pretty sure he was'nt there then.

ibuthead
28th September 2007, 13:52
I was with Uglands from the 80's through to the 90's till we all got made redundant worked on all the ships the name does'nt ring a bell

timo
28th September 2007, 17:56
I left about a year before the redundancies, car carriers arn't the most intresting ships to work on!! ibuthead..........I think I sailed with you on the Bahn, Sunderland dry dock, my first full trip with Uglands, after 3 years on Norwegian new builds and a few weeks on the Transporter, joining the Bhan was an eye opener!!! There was a cook on there named Ian, so I'm presuming its you.

John Cassels
28th September 2007, 19:05
Timo, I got the name wrong . It was Ken Wallace. We were at pre -sea
school together in 1962 so the memory was a bit off.

timo
28th September 2007, 20:23
Ken Wallace, - a.k.a. Jocky Wallace......he was old man on the Autoline, I did a couple of trips with him, he came from Bank Line I think.

John Cassels
29th September 2007, 09:28
That's him. He left pre-sea to go to Bank Line. When did you sail with him ?.

timo
29th September 2007, 10:05
Sailed with 'jocky Wallace' febuary/march 1988 and january/febuary 1989, both times on the Autoline. (6 week trips on the car carriers) He was still working for Uglands (now UECC) in the late 90's, unless he's retired I would presume he's still there.

ibuthead
30th September 2007, 13:40
Ya your right it was me in sunderland drydock thats a long time ago
but can't place you ----I take it your from Grimsby
Ken wallace was still with UECC up to a couple of years ago went back for a while 10 years after got made redundant he was still there but he must have retired by now I would think

timo
30th September 2007, 14:11
Yeah,it was a long time ago Ian, (20 years I think) and if I remember you were all ready on when I joined, Sven from Grimsby was one of the AB's, last time I saw him he was mate with UECC. I left early 1990, went onto Sally ferries out of Ramsgate, good move.

ibuthead
2nd October 2007, 14:18
Yeah Not seen Sven for a while I think he is oldman now,I have been around a bit since then I'm still at sea out in the gulf of Mexico . It's a small world timo

Geoff of Hull
4th October 2007, 22:43
Hey Butler are you still the best cook in the North Sea? Cos I am the best Bosun...guess who???Are you still in geordie land?Saw Elbo a few months back...Geoff

bolebulldog
24th October 2007, 22:33
Did any of you sail with my Father, Fred ( Chief Engineer ) "Strada", "Bahn", "Weg" or "Jarama"

janathull
25th October 2007, 06:36
Sailed on the Strada, Bahn and Weg but cant remember who was chief. Cheers Jan.

RayJordandpo
25th October 2007, 12:28
I worked for Ugland on their dive support vessel 'Ugland Comex1' sometimes when we laid up off charter we would do relieving jobs on the car carriers. I remember Capt.Derek Shorthouse, a lecky Tony Grout and a shore manager (ex engineer I think) Don Bruce, he also ran a taxi company "Beryl's Taxi's" I was on the 'Autobahn' running from Harwich to Flushing which was a killer. I thought the supply boats where bad enough for lack of sleep but that ship took the biscuit.

Geoff of Hull
26th October 2007, 11:39
Re the chief engineer that most definately would be the legend himself Freddy Lockett,was sorry to hear of his death as I would have been there to pay my respects,one of lifes true characters I understand some of the boys turned up to see him off.
Tony Grout was medically payed off through deafness about 2-3 years ago,I still see him or talk to him he spent a lot of time with Rockwaters before going back on the Coflexit/Technip ships ending there.

ibuthead
13th April 2008, 01:36
Hi Ray I remember Derick shorthouse was on the Balder baffin in Canada with him and also Tony Grout from the autoroute And Don Bruce he is running Humber ship services in goole now those were the days

RayJordandpo
13th April 2008, 07:44
Hi Ian,
I heard that both Derek and Tony have called it a day. I was last with Derek on the drilling rig 'Ocean Alliance' I'm trying to think of the chief engineers name on the Autobahn. 'Brian Slaughter' comes to mind, could that be right?
Ray Jordan

ibuthead
15th April 2008, 02:10
Brian Slaughter might of been on the Bahn but I remember him from the route and line last I heard of him he was super for UECC living in Norway but that was a few years ago now

RayJordandpo
15th April 2008, 07:38
Quite right Ian. it was the Autoroute not the Bahn. I'm also trying to think of the names of the captains. I'm sure they were from Cottingham and one of them was called Peter Holmes

Geoff of Hull
16th April 2008, 23:35
You are quite right Ray..Peter Holmes was on the Route from the beginning and came from Cottingham the same as phil Watts,Peter Atkin ?and Ken Dearlove ..I too sailed on all the ships after joining the company as Bosun from stevie Clarks and still keep in touch with the boys from Ugland reunion every other month if I am home ..Hello Ian hope your fit?

RayJordandpo
19th April 2008, 16:56
Geoff,
Phil Watts. Yes that was the other captain I was trying to think of. I believe he was ex Ellerman and Wilson. They used the 'Tiger' in Cot and if my memory serves me well played for a local cricket team. There is another ex Ugland captain who's name escapes me but I'm sure he was from an Indian background. He went on to make a pile of cash by investing into the stowage sites where the cars were offloaded awaiting delivery. Before that he was in charge of the container terminal in KG dock in Hull.

Geoff of Hull
19th April 2008, 19:44
The guy you are talking about is sam Judah I did a trip with him on his first command the WEG..He has a large house in Swanland and now owns a agency or something similar his oppo is another well known guy off the Route Steve Bland from Scarborough originally who was mate there and went on to be captain do believe he was on the UC1 the diving boat as a dp mate..
Incidentally Ray it is the Hull reunion this coming friday at the Trades and labour club 12-30 we are averaging 70 or so members a month now..Geoff

timo
19th April 2008, 20:16
Geoff, did'nt Steve Bland end up in Grimsby running the UECC office, I think he's left now, I did a few days with him on the Weg, I think it was his first trip skipper in Uglands (around 89/90), I remember Steve being mate on the Line with Peter Riley, Monty and Purdey were skippers on the Route when I was there and was'nt that other skipper called Dave Aitkin-aka 'roadrunner'?

Geoff of Hull
19th April 2008, 21:21
Thats true Tim Steve did work in the office in GY in fact was marine super but left and works for Sam now ..All points you have raised are quite correct Dave Aitkin 50 a day ciggy man also another old man from Cott..Peter Riley wrapped more or less when the Brits where replaced with Portuguese he was dead against loosing British crews and is on the Red star line I think it is Isle of Wight ferries ..I still go to the Ugland reunions every other month when I am home an old Chief engineer comes across from gy regular Pete Dicko from the Transporter ......Geoff
Ray if you copy this conversation Tony Grout is one of my good mates from school days and sailed with him in a DSV for Coflexip he was medically payed off with deafness and I will be seeing him week today

timo
19th April 2008, 21:32
Geoff, I remember the name Pete Dicko but can't put a face to the name, some names I can recall sailing with are Albert Sparks,Jimmy Ham,Chinky Dave,Bizz,Gus Carver, Terry Crozier,Albert Ball, I did at least a couple of trips with you too.

ibuthead
20th April 2008, 02:23
Hi Geoff
How you doing
Its funny reading all the old names and stuff I had a email from Terry lewis the other day He goes to the same lodge as my dad not heard from him in years He is working for bluewater
He was saying he has seen Bizz about a year ago and said the booze has got the better of him which is a shame he also sees Dean thompson now and again for a pint
Catch up with you ltr

RayJordandpo
20th April 2008, 12:54
Geoff,
I joined the 'Ugland Comex 1' as 1st. mate in 1984 when she was about 9 months old and spent almost four years on her. I left Ugland and joined Denholms simply beacause they took over the vessel management (it was that or redundancy) I can't say I remember the name Steve Bland but it could have been before I joined. The captain, Derek Shorthouse was ex Ugland car carriers but I'm sure he was out in Brazil, he told me they were laid up in Rio for some time. He was also ex UTC personnel manager for a number of years. There was a few other guys on there who spent some time on the car carriers but I believe it was (like me) just relieving jobs for study leave etc. when the UC1 was off charter. Tony Grout, Andy Appleby and Gerry Brandt comes to mind. Don Bruce and Barry Good ran the show from an office down Whitefriargate, There was a secretary in there who was an ex cinema usherette, she certainly called a spade a spade. It's a long time ago but I'm sure there was some incident involving smuggling that actually went to court. I heard there was a few guys sweating on the outcome and a few heavy fines were dished out.
I'd love to come to monthly meeting, I can't make it this month but I certainly will make a date for the future
Ray Jordan

timo
20th April 2008, 14:31
Ray, I was on the Northern Installer in summer '87 she had just been renamed then from the UC1, we must have been there at the same time, the mate I remember was a scottish guy who had spent years on the Uglands managed Balder London (that ship could have a thread all to itself-heard some stories about her!!), I dont remember you so you must have been on the other crew, our skipper was a guy who went under the nickname of juniper jim, I only did 3 trips and left when Denholmes tookover the management. The secretarys name in Uglands was Elsie, she used to organise the crew changes when I was there. Oilymike has a picture of the Texas Horizon in his gallery, I think she's the ex UC1, looks like she may have been lengthend too?

RayJordandpo
21st April 2008, 21:03
Timo
Yes I was on the 'Northern Installer' around that time. I think the Scottish mate you are thinking of is Don Wilson, I was often his relief. Other mates there were Andy Appleby, Bob Greenwood and later Mark Arlow and Alan Jackson. There were two captains called Jim. Jim Little (Livingstone) and Jim Crawshaw (Whitley Bay) I believe it is the latter who you are thinking of. Another captain was Harry Cole from Blyth. The bosun was an ex Shell cadet but his name escapes me.
She was also called the 'ITM Installer' for a while, bare boat charter to a Middlesbrough outfit owned by Alf Duffield who was on the board of Middlesbrough football club and who I believe owned a few night clubs in the area.
She did get lenghthened along with the 'Flexservice 3'. I did a couple of years on Flex but was made redundant when Cable and Wireless took over.
Very interesting photo, I often wondered what happened to her and the other vessels.
I enjoyed my time on those ships, it was my introduction into DP
regards
Ray Jordan

john fraser
21st April 2008, 21:45
Hi Ray.
Although never on that ship I guessed Juniper Jim would be Jim Crawshaw .I still keep in touch with his brother Colin ex Northern Explorer now on Bibby Aquamarine.Crew change here on Kestrel tomorrow.Thats the 6 weeks up again.We are working in the Eugene Island area in the Gulf,Can,t see the island.I posted a picture of the Kestrel ex Norlift on the Special Purpose Vessel site here under dsv Kestrel.Mc Kech is still on Explorer in China.I have the chinese name for her at home.Must put her picture on as
well. Good memories
All the Best
John Fraser

RayJordandpo
22nd April 2008, 19:28
Hi John
Good photos. Now I know what happened to those vessels. I believe the 'Balmoral Sea' ex 'eastern Installer' caught fire and sank alongside the quay in New Orleans and was raised and scrapped. Spent a happy couple of years on her with Ian Revie and George Bowie as master. John Turnbull was also captain on her for a while. Great crowd of lads. Laid up in Hull for five months (home every night).
We are going to the States in July, relieving out of New Orleans. Pat O'Briens here I come!
Enjoy your leave
Ray

Andyroo
29th March 2009, 17:11
Yo you lot, joined Uglands spring 84 as 2nd mate on the Strada. Purdy was skipper, Hobin was mate (or was it the other way round?). Only did the Strada, Bahn & Weg.Left 91 to come ashore.

All the best

Andy Smith

timo
29th March 2009, 18:47
Andy, do you/did you live in Goole?, you went ashore for a wee while in the late 80's (job on the docks?). then came back to Uglands?

alan ward
21st October 2011, 14:42
You are quite right Ray..Peter Holmes was on the Route from the beginning and came from Cottingham the same as phil Watts,Peter Atkin ?and Ken Dearlove ..I too sailed on all the ships after joining the company as Bosun from stevie Clarks and still keep in touch with the boys from Ugland reunion every other month if I am home ..Hello Ian hope your fit?

Dave Atkin,Kirkella.

harrybunn
19th July 2012, 22:33
What ever happened to Steve Bell?sailed with him on strada in the mid 80's,cracking skipper
louis Bunn cook

Geoff of Hull
20th July 2012, 12:36
hello lou
Was with steve last christmas time at Hull trinity House old Boys dinner and dance at Beverley.

Steves fine and was in good spirit at the bar with us having a fare share of Nelsons blood .
He lives some of the time in Torrejeca (Spelt different) still supports Hull kingston Rovers and may turn up at the Ugland reunions about every other month in Hull 's minerva pub.

Hope you are keeping well yourself,I have been offshore myself for about 22 years now and they do not dare ask me to retire !!

harrybunn
21st July 2012, 10:09
Glad to hear it Geoff,a true gent,
last time i saw you, you were on the telly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how's your truck driving mrs?
I recognize some of the names above,sailed with Stan the man(ab) briefly on NSF,think he moved to the freight side,finished my sea days on a standby vessel in the North sea about 12 years ago,mind numbing,
ever hear from Geordie Bob the motorman?
I Remember those four days we had in Emden,think we were on the Submarine(weg)or bahn,suffered the day we eventually sailed,think there was hotdogs on the menu that day,no sign of the babbling brook!

timo
21st July 2012, 12:00
Geordie Bob the motorman.....? Otherwise known as Gadgee Bob. I seem to remember hearing he went on a dredger working not far from where he lived, could be mistaken tho'........ It is a good few year ago now.

Geoff of Hull
21st July 2012, 20:17
Think some one said Stan the man had crossed the bar a few years ago?But don't quote me on it.Dean Thomson,went offshore,Elbo lost his wife and has a bevy with me on a friday lunch when I am home,Sam judda and Steve Bland drop into my NEW WIFE'S office about every week ,I often bump into Ray purdie,Phil Watts,Denis Holt,Bonnie Ronnie (Goole) Jack Richmond,Albert Sparks,Tony Miller(NSF),Jimmy Ham (Offshore)Billy Skilling (now master along with Sven in UECC)
That is to name a few I have seen in the last year,Jocky wallace has retired Steve Nelson was on sick last I heard.
So there is a bit of info for you,
Only other bit of news is,My ex truck driver wife is still chasing me (Fly)

timo
23rd July 2012, 11:22
Sam Juddah,s picture was in Grimsbys local paper a few weeks ago regarding the building of the new car ferry river berth outside of Grimsby docks, he's still involved in the import/land rental for the cars that come in on the car ferrys.

knighta
9th November 2013, 01:39
Geoff,
Phil Watts. Yes that was the other captain I was trying to think of. I believe he was ex Ellerman and Wilson. They used the 'Tiger' in Cot and if my memory serves me well played for a local cricket team. There is another ex Ugland captain who's name escapes me but I'm sure he was from an Indian background. He went on to make a pile of cash by investing into the stowage sites where the cars were offloaded awaiting delivery. Before that he was in charge of the container terminal in KG dock in Hull.

I sailed with Phil Watts when he was Master of the "Balder Hudson" offshore Nova Scotia in 1980-81. Several of the crew were ex-Uglands, and we were hired by Don Bruce, who had an office in Whitefriargate, Hull. If I remember rightly, the C/E Stewart Lord, was also ex-Ugland car-carrier man. Alan Knight, Halifax, N.S.

knighta
24th November 2013, 13:14
Hi Ray I remember Derick shorthouse was on the Balder baffin in Canada with him and also Tony Grout from the autoroute And Don Bruce he is running Humber ship services in goole now those were the days
Greetings. If you were on the "Balder Baffin" in Canada, then I must know you. My name is Alan Knight; I was the First Mate of the "Balder Hudson" when the two ships were delivered by Marystown shipyard in Newfoundland, July 1980.The crews of the "Balder Hudson" and "Balder Baffin" were hired by Don Bruce in his office at Whitefriargate. The Master of "Balder Baffin" was Phil Jarman. Derek Shorthouse was the Mate. The 2/O was a skinny guy named Lionel, who everyone called "Biggles".The 2/E was Gavin Carter, (big guy with a black beard) who had sailed with Globtik Tankers, and who had rescued a boatload of Vietnamese refugees in the China Sea.
On "Balder Hudson", Phil Watts was the Master, the 2/O was a tall skinny guy (ex-coal miner) named "Brad", but I think that his real name was Richard Bradbury. Stewart Lord was the C/E. The Electrician was Dave Lane, another ex-coal miner. As everyone except me was from Hull, Stewart Lord used to refer to the crew of the two ships as "The Hull Smoothies and Playboys Club". We pooled our money and bought an old Plymouth Satellite station wagon which we named "The Chocolate Rocket". The "Balder Baffin" is still going, last heard of in Nigeria as the "Excellent Diver". If you want some photos of the "Balder Baffin", my e-mail is knighta@eastlink.ca