Chief Stewards name?

Philthechill
1st August 2007, 14:57
I posted a 'thread' on the Cunard Forum, t'other day, (with no replies) asking if anyone could recall the name of the Chief Steward who was on the Mickey Mouse boat which lost its prop mid-Atlantic (I thought it may have been "Media" but, on second thoughts, think it may well have been "Scythia") and which, I believe, was towed back to the UK by a Russian tanker. The bloke I'm thinking of had quite a florid face, black hair plastered down on his loaf and was a Scouser. He WAS Brock's and why he had been sent to a Cunard ship I never knew. I met-up with him when I was going round the land (rarely for me as I didn't have the Eric Lorimer touch!!!!!!!) but on which ship escapes me for the moment. I DO know that the ships name began "Ma----- if that's any help!!!!!(Jester) Anyway if anyone can think who it may have been I would appreciate it! Burra Salaams, Phil Roe
P.S. I've just remembered (this at 22.15hrs.) his first name was Jack.

Derek Roger
6th August 2007, 03:23
Phil ;
The Mickey Mouse Boat which lost its rudder in the Atlantic was the Parthia ( Built in the Caledon Yard Dundee ) I can be sure of that as I took the Parthia from London to Hong Kong on a run trip to be taken over by Western Australian Shipping ( I was 2nd Engineer at the time )
Her name was changed for the trip to Staship 1 ( Beam me down Scotty )
I left her in Singapore where she was tobe Drydocked before hand over to the Aussies ; I flew to Japan to join the Mahsud or Maihar in Kobe and while in my hotel room that night watched the news of a Typoon in Hong Kong where she had brocken loose from the lay bye berth and had beached .
I later saw her again in Aussie when on one of Moss Tankers as Chief Engineer in Darwin or some other Notherly Port . She was in fine shape and the crew I met said she was a great ship to sail on .
I have special affection for her as I watched her on Sea Trails in the Tay when a kid at school ( From Tayport )

The reason I can be so sure it was the Parthia is that we read all the old log books on the trip to Hong Kong . There was an extract which I found amusing during her rudder loss in the Atlantic ( Bye the way the Queen Elisabeth was diverted to stand bye ; which was the first and only time a Cunard ship was ordered to do this as during war time they were ordered to maintain full speed irrespective of the situation ; this practice I am told continued during peace time until the Parthia incident )

The log extract from Captain to head office was " Out of beer and baccy otherwise spirits high "
Regards Derek

PS Another member of SN was also on the run job to Hong Kong and may wish to comment .

Philthechill
6th August 2007, 15:15
Phil ;
The Mickey Mouse Boat which lost its rudder in the Atlantic was the Parthia ( Built in the Caledon Yard Dundee ) I can be sure of that as I took the Parthia from London to Hong Kong on a run trip to be taken over by Western Australian Shipping ( I was 2nd Engineer at the time )
Her name was changed for the trip to Staship 1 ( Beam me down Scotty )
I left her in Singapore where she was tobe Drydocked before hand over to the Aussies ; I flew to Japan to join the Mahsud or Maihar in Kobe and while in my hotel room that night watched the news of a Typoon in Hong Kong where she had brocken loose from the lay bye berth and had beached .
I later saw her again in Aussie when on one of Moss Tankers as Chief Engineer in Darwin or some other Notherly Port . She was in fine shape and the crew I met said she was a great ship to sail on .
I have special affection for her as I watched her on Sea Trails in the Tay when a kid at school ( From Tayport )

The reason I can be so sure it was the Parthia is that we read all the old log books on the trip to Hong Kong . There was an extract which I found amusing during her rudder loss in the Atlantic ( Bye the way the Queen Elisabeth was diverted to stand bye ; which was the first and only time a Cunard ship was ordered to do this as during war time they were ordered to maintain full speed irrespective of the situation ; this practice I am told continued during peace time until the Parthia incident )

The log extract from Captain to head office was " Out of beer and baccy otherwise spirits high "
Regards Derek

PS Another member of SN was also on the run job to Hong Kong and may wish to comment . Derek! Ta very much for the info re. "Parthia". I always thought she'd lost the propeller. I never knew that the QE 'stood-by' whilst she was having her bit of bother!!!! What about the bit about the Russian tanker towing her back to the UK? Is that another "invention" of mine too!!!! Cheers bud! Phil

gdynia
6th August 2007, 15:27
Derek
Did she become the Wambiri.

Derek Roger
7th August 2007, 02:09
Not sure of that ; but if Wambiri was a vessel of Western Australian Shippng then it is probable .
Derek

PS The superintendant Engineer for the company sailed with us to Hong Kong and he offer me a job with the company as 4 th Engineer ( I was sailing as 2nd at the time with Brocks ; I turned it down but Im not sure why as the money was a lot more as 4th on the Aussie Coast than I was getting with Brocks as 2 nd !)
From London the run job was getting the Deck and Engine room Crew Double pay ! Brocks would not entertain us getting any more as we were on A Artiles and did not want to set a precident ! The super( Ausie Western Shipping )told me to make a formal request and he would have no problem paying the extra to the officers ( Otherwise the crew would be earning more than we were )
I did that in the form of a letter on behalf of the officers ( Excluding the Captain and Chief Engineer to protect their position ; although they were most interested that I was sucessfull in the request without giving it their rubber stamp (
The request was turned down so for the first and only time in my life did I ask the assistance of the union ( Merchant Navy and Air Line Officers Assosiation )
They visited the ship in London and Interviewed us all and lpo and behold we were all given double Pay for the trip. I was quite popular with the lads but not so with the personnel Dept of Cunard / Brocks .
Oh Happy Days

john g
7th August 2007, 18:59
Your not alone with the union Derek I (motor man) had problems in Middlesborugh on one of the steamers being abandoned by myself with a chief (not of Brocks stable) who rarely saw the light of day....10 nights aboard son you'll get paid for that....heavy lifting locomotives with steam winches....I was moved on within a couple of days and back to the wonderfull world of the RD76 with RR alternators. Yes it was the "Parthia" the photographs were treasured by the Cunard lads and quite impressive I must say. The chief steward ...most of them were scousers

R798780
7th August 2007, 22:52
Phil ;
The Mickey Mouse Boat which lost its rudder in the Atlantic was the Parthia

The reason I can be so sure it was the Parthia is that we read all the old log books on the trip to Hong Kong . Regards Derek

PS Another member of SN was also on the run job to Hong Kong and may wish to comment .

Sorry Derek, no recollection of the history in the log books - would they be the deck logs? I can see the old man Eddie Watkins reading through them. From Maihar days six months earlier I know he didn't drink at sea, just a question of how far down the hierarchy the info spread; I was only a chota sahib in those days.

I do remember the run money business, made a big difference for a recently married, recently mortgaged young officer. (33 a month for a 3 bedroomed detached on 120 a month top line)

Derek Roger
9th August 2007, 02:34
Hugh ;
I seem to remember it was the mate who showed me the bridge log of the incient but for the life of me I cant visualise or remember who it was ? I think it was a Cunard Mate ?? Peter Seymore ? or perhaps Brocks Phil Owen ?? I would appreciate any prompts you can give of the rest of the crew .
My discharge book shows we joined the Parthia in Falmouth 9th May 1971 and signed off on Middlesborough 12 May the signed on again to the renamed STASHIP1 same day and signed off in Hong Kong 5th July . I have been trying to find a reference to a Typhoon in Hong Kong on the 5th / 6th/7th July 1971 but have had no luck to date .
Cheers Derek

R798780
9th August 2007, 06:41
Capt Eddie Watkins
C/0 Phil Owen
2/0 Alex Reid
3/0 Hugh Shuttleworth
2/E Yourself
4/E Paul Hancock
Elec Alec Strause ? Played guitar, probably classical as well.

The others I can't recall.

I can remember the chief steward coming round with a list for ordering beer in Singapore. How much do you want to get to Hong Kong, but can't get his name.

Cheers

Roger Bentley
9th August 2007, 16:41
Derek
Did she become the Wambiri.

Lloyds register for 1974-75 Shows Wambiri having been launched as Parthia in 1963 and then in 1971 name changed to Staship1 and in same year renamed Wambiri. Owners Western Australian Coastal Shipping Commision. She is still shown in the 1977-78 issue. Regards, Roger