Cast Petrel

graymay
4th August 2007, 04:06
Any of you guys sail on the 'Petrel'? I joined her in Rotterdam in Dec 79, sailed to Sept Isles (got a hiding ashore)
Eventually ended up in Kobe (got jailed)

Happy Days

Graham

John Graham
7th August 2007, 11:47
Yup, I sailed on the Petrel, but a couple of years after yourself. Whilst I was on her, a certain 3rd engineer manaaged to fire up the main boiler when there was some 14 tons of oil in the furnace! We thought we were heading for the lifeboats that day. Luckily, the steam generating pipes cracked and put the flames out. Later on, we had to hold a cigarette steady in the 2nd engineer's mouth whilst we lit it for him - Can't remember his real name, but we all called him Rover, and he was from Nottingham. A nice guy.
Do remember standing on the deck one day just off the UAE coast, and seeing the dreaded Dalma. Both me and the engineering cadat said to one another that we were lucky, and we wouldn't have to sail on her since she was being sold. Guess where both of us ended up 3 months later?

John Cassels
8th August 2007, 09:10
Yup, I sailed on the Petrel, but a couple of years after yourself. Whilst I was on her, a certain 3rd engineer manaaged to fire up the main boiler when there was some 14 tons of oil in the furnace! We thought we were heading for the lifeboats that day. Luckily, the steam generating pipes cracked and put the flames out. Later on, we had to hold a cigarette steady in the 2nd engineer's mouth whilst we lit it for him - Can't remember his real name, but we all called him Rover, and he was from Nottingham. A nice guy.
Do remember standing on the deck one day just off the UAE coast, and seeing the dreaded Dalma. Both me and the engineering cadat said to one another that we were lucky, and we wouldn't have to sail on her since she was being sold. Guess where both of us ended up 3 months later?

Ah , Rover , that's a name from the distant past. Sailed with him a couple of
times ( though not on the Petrel , as I was ashore working for Cast then).
Think his first name was Cedric or something like that , it was not a name that
you would associate with his flambouyant manner. He was a nice guy and a
real grafter.

Wurmadale
8th August 2007, 19:00
Sailed with Rover, aka Cedric Goodings on the Euroliner in 77/8.
He was 2nd on the last ever Euroliner trip as a GTV when I was on Asiafreighter. Both laid up in Keil and after trying to drink AF dry he got confused and slept outside the 2nds cabin on the wrong ship!
One of natures great gentlemen!
Sailed on the Petrel in 1980, joined in Saldana Bay, left Rotterdam.
Passing through Cape Town on the way had the horror of seeing the Dalma anchored off, apparently after a switchborad fire(?). For a nasty moment thought we had been conned and sent to her (EEK)

John Cassels
8th August 2007, 20:04
Yup , that was him ... Cedric Goodings.

John Graham
7th September 2007, 15:03
Paid off the Petrel in Nice, in France. The ship was at anchor, and we had to go down to the gangway onto a pilot boat. Both myself, and the 4th (Nick Crooks) made it down. Rover was coming down with one of the ratings helping him with his luggage. The rope holding up the gangway snapped, and Rover, the rating (sorry don't know his name, he'd only joined the ship the day before), and all of Rover's luggage ended up in the drink. Later on in the day, we all managed to have a good laugh about it. At the time though, it wasn't funny at all. The only dry clothes Rover had were his horrible gray uniform. A Saville Row suit it was not.

wmiller
24th September 2007, 18:08
Cast Petrel, ex Eden Bridge, ended up as 'Bise' I was master for the last two years of my MN career. Sailed with Rover on Gaelic Bridge I think. Top hole guy but you didn't want to be behind him in the pipe tunnel fixing valves after he'd been on the bass an pickled eggs ! I was there!!

John Cassels
24th September 2007, 20:35
Cast Petrel, ex Eden Bridge, ended up as 'Bise' I was master for the last two years of my MN career. Sailed with Rover on Gaelic Bridge I think. Top hole guy but you didn't want to be behind him in the pipe tunnel fixing valves after he'd been on the bass an pickled eggs ! I was there!!

Willie , feel I should know you , but from where ??????????????????.

jasmacpm
4th May 2008, 01:05
Hi, I was onboard as well when this happened. I remember seeing engineers belting hell for leather out of the engine room, shouting "run, she's going to blow!" I thought it was all a joke at first, but the trembling and panic of some of the guys fom the engine room, said it all.
I still have a photo, or two of the black smoke stretching as far as the eye coud see. I was interested to see the story because after time, I was beginning to wonder, if it had all been a bit exaggerated in my memory.
Bye,
Jimmy.

muldonaich
4th May 2008, 13:11
Willie , feel I should know you , but from where ??????????????????.i sailed with him john think he was 2nd mate hopepark agreat guy good laugh i think it was him made a mess on deck on her maiden voyage only joking kev.

muldonaich
5th May 2008, 14:33
i sailed with him john think he was 2nd mate hopepark agreat guy good laugh i think it was him made a mess on deck on her maiden voyage only joking kev.sorry i made a mistake it was willie coutson hopepark kev.

jasmacpm
20th September 2008, 15:57
Can you name the pumpman, approx 1982. See picture I have posted.

jasmacpm
25th September 2008, 00:10
Hi, have just posted a picture, or two of the Cast Petrel, one of which was directly after the "Boiler" incident.We had loaded a cargo of coal in Norfolk, topped that up in Richard's Bay and were passing through the Indonesian Islands, when there was a massive shaking and shuddering, quickly followed by a posse of engineers bailing out of the engine room, shouting "run, she's going to blow!" At first I thought it was a joke, but one look at their faces, the shaking and trembling told the truth. It took more than a few beers to settle folk down that day.
If I remember correctly, the engineers said the pipes were so rusted and rotten, that they cracked/broke and the water turned to steam and extinguished the fire.
Not a very good pic, I'm afraid. I had a better one, with thick, black smoke, drifting away, as far as one could see.
Shortly before/after that, we passed a couple of dead body's floating in the water, but we were unable to recover them.
I see she later became the Bise, then Daring Trader and finally, Broke in two Ponta de Madeira 11.11.94

iain mac
25th September 2008, 11:37
kenny asquith

muldonaich
25th September 2008, 12:45
hes lost a lot of hair since i sailed with him kev.

Quaysider
25th September 2008, 23:58
Cast Petrel seen in the Botlek area of Rotterdam 15/06/83

Dave Kerley
16th November 2008, 09:32

My brother Steve Kerley sailded on the Dalma. His prized possession from that time was the t-shirt with "I survived the Dalma" on it.

m fishwick
30th March 2009, 22:24
I joined the Petrel in Antwerp (Jan 1980 as deck casdet) and went over to Port Cartier. WE also got a hiding ashore owing to a Geordie riding squad who upset the locals. The geordies started stripping off in the bar and the real strippers refused to carry on. Needless to say, the locals were not happy.

John Cassels
31st March 2009, 19:37
I joined the Petrel in Antwerp (Jan 1980 as deck casdet) and went over to Port Cartier. WE also got a hiding ashore owing to a Geordie riding squad who upset the locals. The geordies started stripping off in the bar and the real strippers refused to carry on. Needless to say, the locals were not happy.

Guess you must have belonged to the engine room or catering staff.
No one else would have the time to go ashore while in Port Cartier.

randcmackenzie
31st March 2009, 22:07
Well, yes and no.

I was there for about a week loading ore on Friendly Carrier.

I can't remember why it took so long - loading a grade they were short of I think.

We kept getting shunted to waiting berths.

We ventured ashore and were royally treated by the friendly locals.

graymay
7th April 2009, 03:39

I was one of the 'unfortunates' to be involved in the strip joint, got a black eye for my troubles, but seeing Willie Grants one made it all worth while (only joking Willie)
Graham