Brock's Fleet List.

Philthechill
12th August 2007, 09:33
I've put a copy of one of those old Fleet Lists onto the "Cargo vessels" site in the Gallery. Now you can REALLY bore people fartless by telling them where your favourite ship got its name from!!!! Salaams, Phil(Thumb)

R798780
12th August 2007, 14:33
Thanks Phil

I've been trying to put names and meanings together for a couple of years. Even with help from other members Mahronda remained elusive.

Cheers

Roger Bentley
12th August 2007, 14:47
I've put a copy of one of those old Fleet Lists onto the "Cargo vessels" site in the Gallery. Now you can REALLY bore people fartless by telling them where your favourite ship got its name from!!!! Salaams, Phil(Thumb)

Also see my posting of a fleet list on 14 Dec 2006 in the Brock Photos thread. RB

docgk
12th August 2007, 15:37
The list has a few missing. e.g. 'MAHSUD' which I am told is Urdu, rather than Hindi and refers to a fierce and intractable tribe in Waziristan, Pakistan. I originally thought all Brock's names were Hindi, but clearly not, and on reflection, why not? After all, Brock's hugely pre-date partition!

Anybody know any others like this?

Roger Bentley
12th August 2007, 16:18
The list has a few missing. e.g. 'MAHSUD' which I am told is Urdu, rather than Hindi and refers to a fierce and intractable tribe in Waziristan, Pakistan. I originally thought all Brock's names were Hindi, but clearly not, and on reflection, why not? After all, Brock's hugely pre-date partition!

Try looking at the list I posted and you will find Mahsud. I think it is on page 4 of the photo thread. Salaams

R798780
12th August 2007, 18:27

Nothing missing, it is the fleet list at that time which I think must be 1967-1968 as Malakand, Mahanada and Manipur have disappeared but Maihar and Mahsud have yet to be delivered.

Makalla and Malabar would, I think, be time charters.

Roger Bentley
12th August 2007, 18:34
Then why don't you look at the earlier list??????????!!!!!

docgk
12th August 2007, 19:59
Thanks Roger! Found your thumbnail. Here's the link to make it easier for others to find if they need it:

Roger's List (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6387&d=1166126972)

R798780
14th August 2007, 22:43
Found it as well, Roger, cunningly disguised as a Ford (Consul ?). Don't know how I missed it when you first posted.

Thanks to Roger, Phil and Mike - and some researching - I think I now have a definitive list of the origins of virtually all the Brocklebank "MA" ships names I can find, about 35 of them.

R798780
18th August 2007, 18:32
The result so far. Probably not exhaustive.