Stevenstone

Rhiw.com
26th March 2005, 19:05
Can anyone please help me find a photograph of the “Stevenstone”, or one of her sister ships? Vessels of the same class, Hubbastone, Monkstone, and the Runnelstone.
The Hansen Shipping Company, Cardiff, vessel Stevenstone, disappeared without trace. She was only six months old and was built in Bideford Devon. She was a small steamer of only 1150 tons with a crew of 16, including 21 year old Isaac Thomas, from my village. She left Blyth Northumberland bound for Elsinore in Denmark on December 16th 1921, with a full load of coal, but never arrived, and was never heard of again.
(A Cardiff newspaper clipping) The Stevenstone was a vessel of 1,150 tons dead weight, having been built at Bideford and launched in July 1921. On her last voyage she carried 962 tons of coal as cargo and 116 tons of bunkers making a total of 1,078 tons. She was fitted with two lifeboats, each capable of carrying 22 persons and also up-to-date life saving appliances. She carries a crew of sixteen men, the following being a list:
Capt, F.E. Prout, 8 The Quay, Appledore.
Chief Mate, J D Williams, 13 Ladysmith road Cardiff.
Chief Engineer, A. Charles, 34 Glenroy st Cardiff.
Second engineer, R C Stothert, Severn grove Cardiff.
Steward J Swailes, Haverfordwest.
Boatswain, F M Cox, 12 The Quay, Appledore.
AB W Cropp, 16 New Street Appledore.
AB J Whitlock, Silver Street Appledore.
AB J McCullan, 44, Market street Appledore.
AB W Rice, 3 Railway Street Cardiff.
AB A Lockhit, 2 Church Street Newport.
Fireman, I Thomas, Rhiw, Pwllheli. (From my village)
Fireman, A Cusstie, 11 Albion street, Newport.
Fireman, T Thomas, 11, Kerrycroy Street, Cardiff.
Cabin boy, C Clode, North Church street, Cardiff.
Donkeyman, J Paklukai, 22 Kingsland Crescent, Barry.
Any information about this tragedy would be most welcome. Thank you. Tony.

stevecz
26th March 2005, 20:11
A very interesting site for the Monkstone, if it's the correct one, is : http://www.shipsoflongago.co.uk/text%20wild%20rose.htm

Rhiw.com
27th March 2005, 06:25
Many thanks for the information Stevecz, I've just browsed the site, and it looks crammed with great stuff. The young man, Isaac Thomas, has family in my village, and they would like some information about the tragedy. I've got a photograph of the Hubbastone on my website, but not a very good one, as she is hidden behind some railway carriages. Regards Tony.