Queen Mary

barrow-boy
14th August 2007, 03:34
I just heard on the news that the Queen Mary is to be auctioned off tomorrow (Tuesday) bidding to start at $43 million. There is some interest with two developers ready to start bidding.

Keltic Star
14th August 2007, 05:09
Is she still afloat or encased in concrete? If the latter, obviously she would continue as a hotel where is.

gdynia
14th August 2007, 06:26
Theres very strong talk they are trying to get her in Dubai alongside the QE2

Paul UK
14th August 2007, 07:05
Would she survive a tow to Dubai after all this time and as I understand it bits that have been removed.

Paul

gdynia
14th August 2007, 07:15
Paul
The ammount of money they have here I dont think it would be a problem making her seaworthy for a tow

Jeff Taylor
14th August 2007, 14:38
1. The Queen Mary is not being auctioned, simply the operting lease for the ship and development rights to the adjacent +/-40 acres of land
2. She is afloat, not in concrete, and
3. The props have been removed and many hull penetrations sealed, but externally nothing else has been changed on the hull

gdynia
14th August 2007, 14:57
Jeff
Well thats strange as the people we work for here in Dubai are away to the States for that reason

RGascoyne
14th August 2007, 19:20
A previous thread some months back, with US input, said that they intended to revamp the site and land alongside her berth, in Long Beach, but maybe they could not raise enough money to fend off a bid from Dubai, which is awash in oil money nowadays.

Jeff Taylor
14th August 2007, 19:48
Although anything is possible I strongly doubt they would sell the ship. Long Beach has made her their civic "mascot", and they've got pleanty of oil, too. Last projections I saw were that they had already had interest from some groups in the $60million+ range who would use the development profits to property restore the ship. Anyone who's seen her lately (I stayed overnight last year) can tell you there's a great deal of wear, tear, and generally misguided renovations to un-do. It would make anyone cry to see all the damage to those beautiful panelings. They did do a rather nice job on the Veranda Grill, but frankly the guest rooms are now of "sub-Holiday Inn" quality with the possible exception of one or two "show" suites. Could Dubai be interested in bidding on the development rights?

RGascoyne
15th August 2007, 05:00
You are right about her condition Jeff, I saw her this last March. If they bid on the lease and won, would they be legally able to remove the ship and then sublet the site to developers? It also seems odd that the ship was seen as a white elephant as recently as a year ago, and as likely to bankrupt her operators and owners. Funny world.

gdynia
15th August 2007, 05:08
Although anything is possible I strongly doubt they would sell the ship. Long Beach has made her their civic "mascot", and they've got pleanty of oil, too. Last projections I saw were that they had already had interest from some groups in the $60million+ range who would use the development profits to property restore the ship. Anyone who's seen her lately (I stayed overnight last year) can tell you there's a great deal of wear, tear, and generally misguided renovations to un-do. It would make anyone cry to see all the damage to those beautiful panelings. They did do a rather nice job on the Veranda Grill, but frankly the guest rooms are now of "sub-Holiday Inn" quality with the possible exception of one or two "show" suites. Could Dubai be interested in bidding on the development rights?

Jeff
I see your points but if you look at the mentality over here the place is awash with money they will be running out of oil dollars in the next 20 years so theres a building boom going on to attract the Tourists. Theyve received one hell of a Publicity Stunt with buying the QE2 can you imagine what would happen if they also got the Queen Mary. One strange thing the berth is being prepared for QE2 now but theres a second berth being built so only time will tell

billyboy
15th August 2007, 08:45
got room there for the "blue lady" Nev...LOL

gdynia
15th August 2007, 08:50
Billy if it makes them money then they will go for anything

Tony Breach
15th August 2007, 11:08
I worked at Pier A, Long Beach for several years, just down the road from the Queen Mary & often went aboard. They used to have a Captains Club for about $10 or $20 a year which allowed free parking & access to the ship so it was a good spot for lunch.

The ship was generally a bit shabby & when I stayed on board once it was as previously stated a bit like a mediocre motel. Sir Winstons (Verandah Grill) was exceptionally good however. I found access to a couple obscure parts which indicated some significant corrosion but that may have been just local stuff. The lifeboats were like colanders.

I would imagine a major problem with the ship as a hotel is that there were not that many 1st class cabins in the ship & it seems that the hotel part is only on 1 or 2 decks. All the rest of the ship was for the not-so-well heeled in different classes with a lot of inside cabins & must be unusable for modern living. In any case a very major part of the ship was taken up by the 36 boilers. It will certainly take a lot of money to bring the whole ship up to acceptable standards.

I wish them all success in preserving the old lady.

Tony

Jeff Taylor
15th August 2007, 14:42
Actually, Sir Winston's, on the sports deck, is located in what was originally some engineers quarters. For inexplicable reasons the actual Verandah Grill on the Sun Deck was originally left unused, and later used as crew's mess until finally converted into a fast food restaurant. It's now been converted into a formal catering venue with decor much like it originally had when the ship was in service, albeit with two side expansion areas which are not true to the design motif. ...just another example of the horrible pillaging that the old girl suffered. Check out the following website for a great deal of fascinating information on the ship. http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/

Tony Breach
16th August 2007, 12:59
Thanks Jeff,

I didn't know the full history of Sir Winstons but it is a fine restaurant. Haven't been there for a while but they wouldn't let you in without a tie although they had a box for you to choose one if necessary - a nice touch. I didn't like the lack of dress code for the 1st class observation lounge-bar. Somehow seeing people in baseball caps, T-shirts & sawn off denims destroyed the atmosphere of a wonderful venue with so much history. I wonder what the rich & famous who used to frequent the lounge would think of it today!

Tony

RCHARLTON
19th August 2007, 19:28
Looks as though she will be staying put in Long Beach. The auction was won by a group called "Save the Queen". Following is an article from the LA Times.

A group of investors won the right to run the Queen Mary and develop its surrounding Long Beach waterfront property at a federal bankruptcy auction Tuesday.

With a bid of $43 million, the group, called Save the Queen, picked up the 66-year lease to oversee the operations of the historic ocean liner. The only other bidder, real estate developer O&S Holdings in Santa Monica, did not submit a counteroffer, Long Beach city officials said.

The city, which owns the Queen Mary, had been trying to find a new partner for the ship after its leaseholder, Queen's Seaport Development Inc., filed for bankruptcy protection two years ago. The ocean liner, which has been permanently docked in Long Beach Harbor for nearly 40 years, offers a hotel, restaurants, exhibits and other attractions.

City officials said they were pleased with the outcome of the long-awaited deal.

"Our only interest is to see that the city was compensated, and the city made out very well in this auction," City Atty. Robert Shannon said.

Save the Queen has plans to develop a resort area with additional hotels, a marina and other entertainment, dining and retail attractions.

The transaction is expected to take as long as two months to complete, officials said. Save the Queen still needs to negotiate with the city for specific terms of the lease, including its development plans.

The city will be paid $8.3 million from the sale, which covers back rent and interest owed from this year, as well as attorneys' and accountants' fees.

O&S, which develops mixed-use retail and entertainment complexes, opened the bidding with a $41-million offer.

"We are obviously disappointed with the result of today's proceedings," O&S co-founder Gary Safady said. "We were the first and, technically, only qualified bidder."

In U.S. Bankruptcy Court proceedings before the sale, O&S argued that Save the Queen should not have been allowed to participate in the auction because its bid had not conformed initially to specifications. The investor group later revised that offer, which then became the winning bid.

The bankruptcy judge rejected that argument, as well as a claim made by a Queen's Seaport minority shareholder that it was a subtenant and entitled to a portion of the proceeds from the sale.

Tony Breach
19th August 2007, 19:32
I wish them all the success possible in this venture.

Tony

Paul UK
20th August 2007, 17:21
I for one would have liked to see the two queens together but Long neach has looked after her for 40 years so I wish them well.

Now what about the second berth SS United States or Blue Lady perhaps.

Paul

Lksimcoe
21st August 2007, 18:13
Is it possible that the second berth could be for a visiting cruise ship, rather than for a static liner. I don't see Norway/France being salvageable, after that much time beached. The United States would be nice, but doesn't have the drawing power that the QM would have. That being said, I don't see any other liners/cruise ships afloat today that would have the power that the QE2 has.
Thoughts?

Jeff Taylor
21st August 2007, 19:44
Hardly seems likely that even Dubai would spend $400-$500 million to put the United States back in shape just to exhibit it, and let's face it--even at her height she didn't have the luxurious "ocean liner" interiors that QM or even QE2 had--lots of cabins with painted bulkheads and wall-mounted fans. Clearly the Norway isn't going anywhere, but from what I've heard she probably could be dredged out of the mud if someone set their minds to it. Still, after a year of sitting there with no humidity control (actually 4 years counting the layup in Bremerhaven and Port Klang) and probably well picked over inside it's unclear what there would be left to build on. They've had a salvage crew living aboard all that time, probably cooking their meals on deck! Rotterdam would have been a possibility, but she's set for preservation in Holland and at the end of the day didn't have quite the cachet of The Queens or The France. At the end of the day, however, you have the face the fact that despite their nostalgic appeal, even the average first class cabin on these ships is no match for a five-star hotel. No, I suspect one is about all you could economically justify as a curiosity even in Dubai.

WhiteStarOlympic
14th October 2007, 00:19
Theres very strong talk they are trying to get her in Dubai alongside the QE2

eww no way. i want her to stay in the states where i can see her. that would be such a loss if she were to go.