Mystery Bluey

Rhiw.com
28th March 2005, 08:29
I borrowed a photo album containing several Blue Funnel vessels, they all had names on them except this one, can anyone help? I think it could be the Nestor, but not at all sure, the owner of the album's father, served on her for many years, Thanks in anticipation, Tony.

tell
28th March 2005, 10:50
Tony I think Captain Baxter may be able to help,I've seen this pic in the BFA magazine, he may have the back issues. Tell

Rhiw.com
28th March 2005, 11:41
Thanks Terry, I would like very much to upload this photo on to the website, but without a name, it's pretty pointless, Tony.

flyer682
28th March 2005, 22:20
The photo's taken in Sydney if that helps to narrow it down.
But then you probably knew that..............(:()

tell
28th March 2005, 22:35
Hey Flyer are you some kind of clairvoyant, lol Tell

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 08:06
Thanks for that John, Was the Elpenor a regular runner down under? Regards Tony (Or was it Newcastle (;)) Flyer682 !!!!)

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 12:41
All I can tell you is she was owned by: China Mutual S. N. Co.
1935 Transferred to Glen Line, renamed; GLENFINLAS
1947 Transferred to: Ocean s. s. co., renamed ELPENOR
1950 trans. to; Glen LIne; Renamed GLENFINLAS
1952 Broken up at Blyth
Once again, Thanks a million, Regards, Tony.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
26th April 2005, 19:42
This one came up in the December 2004 Blue Funnel News Letter of The Blue Funnel Association and was answered in the January 2005 News Letter.

The vessel in question is the EURYBATES 91928 and the identification clue is the vent behind the funnel. She is identified as Eurybates 11 as two vessels carried the name in the HISTORY OF THE COMPANY. ( See Duncan Haws Merchant Fleet. No 6.) She was identified by Capt Dave McCaffery of Prestatyn. Wales.who had sailed on her.

Built 1928 at Scotts of Greenock GRT 6436 NRT 3988
1964 Broken Up.

Hope this helps.

Capt Bax. Belleville. Ontario. Canada.

ex Blue Funnel Line
Straits Steamship Co. Singapore.

tell
28th April 2005, 01:18
thereyar I told yer, Tell

Rhiw.com
5th May 2005, 15:35
Sorry that I haven't answered your post earlier, Capt Bax, but I've been in Haugesund, Norway, in dry dock on the "Seawell" for the last three weeks, and the internet there was a bit patchy to say the least, shore power, or the lack of it!!! Thanks a million for letting us know the name of our "Mystery Bluey" Best regards, Tony Jones.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
5th May 2005, 16:52
You are more than welcome.
In drydock, having your bottom scraped I presume.
Memories are made of this !!!!

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
5th May 2005, 16:57
Tony

It would appear that Elepenor was on the Aussi run as well, but this needs to be looked at deeper as they did switch about more in those days, dependent on the cargoes and lifting required. Am not aware of any of the B.F Ships using Newcastle, but Hey, anything is possible. Will take a deeper look re Elepenor etc as soon as I have time, At the moment very busy with the forthcoming unveling and dedication of the Merchan Navy Plaque in Singapore.

John.

Rhiw.com
5th May 2005, 19:27
You are more than welcome.
In drydock, having your bottom scraped I presume.
Memories are made of this !!!!
She's having more than her wee bottie' scraped Capt, it's a six week dry dock, the first week they grit blasted her entire hull, and when I left her yesterday they had just given her, the third coat of primer, first (red) second (green) third (grey) and there will be a total of seven coats in all, that's counting the top coat, red gloss. I will post some photos of her, before long, Regards Tony.

japottinger
5th May 2005, 20:58
One of the famous, or infamous, ships with the Scott-Still engines.
Steam and diesel all in the one engine, oh happy daysfor the engineers!
First with this machinery was the Dolius

R651400
28th June 2005, 20:46
This ship is more likely to be Lycaon class 1913 of which Elpenor was one. Eurybates, almost on her last legs when I joined in 56, I'm sure didn't have any donkey boiler funnel for'ard of the main funnel.

Bert Moore
27th August 2005, 22:50
I borrowed a photo album containing several Blue Funnel vessels, they all had names on them except this one, can anyone help? I think it could be the Nestor, but not at all sure, the owner of the album's father, served on her for many years, Thanks in anticipation, Tony.

I sailed on the second Nestor(b 1952) and also serveral other Blueys. The vessel you show does not look like the Nestor( had large Passenger accomadation) it was scrapped in 1950 and certainly not the the 1952 one. Also, not the "H" & "N" boats sailing on the Aussy Run. I have a picture of the 52 ship sailing though the bridge into Sydney?. If I was to guess, the stern indicates an older vessel likethe Orestes or Asphailion who stayed out there for several years.

I will search for you in the mean time

Bert

neil marsden
3rd October 2005, 00:30
This ship is more likely to be Lycaon class 1913 of which Elpenor was one. Eurybates, almost on her last legs when I joined in 56, I'm sure didn't have any donkey boiler funnel for'ard of the main funnel.

You are absolutely correct, both photographs of Eurybates (p.81) shown in Ships in Focus 'Blue Funnel Line' show no donkey boiler funnel.
the steam side of the Scott Still engine was removed in 1951, the photos show the vessel in 1937 and a late wartime view, thus pre-dating the 1951 modifications.

Eurybates II was built in 1928, the vessel pictured is I believe of an earlier period, the last to be built with this feature appears to be 'Machaon' (2) dating from 1920, thereafter the smaller 'donkey boiler' funnel is seen in the more conventional location, aft of the funnel proper.

If the photograph could be dated the identification might be a little easier(?)

I do not profess to be an 'expert' on Blueys, but know that my late brother worked on 'Eurybates' while serving his time at Odyssey Works in the early '50's. (First trip 'Dardanus' in 1955) Last trip 2nd Engineer 'Glenlyon' (so started and finished on a 'Glen boat') Until his death in 1998 had been ABS Surveyor in Seattle, Washington. His name was Ted Marsden, perhaps some members will remember him, I hope so.

Regards

Neil Marsden

CVB
6th October 2005, 12:27

Type LYACON (1913-1951, renamed GLENIFFER 1951, scrapped 1952).
Sisters: HELENUS (1913-1942); TEIRESIAS (1914-1940); AGAPENOR (1914-1942); MENTOR (1914-1942).

regards,

CVB

scaleyback@hotmail.com
19th January 2006, 20:39
undefinedundefinedThanks for that John, Was the Elpenor a regular runner down under? Regards Tony (Or was it Newcastle (;)) Flyer682 !!!!)
Hi there . This is Terry Bevington, ex Blue Flue Sailorman. I was in Elpenors sister shipEumaeus in 1955 under Captain Large, and to my knowlage she did not trade down under, I think that she was running to the Far East the whole time. I left to live in Australia, in 1966, so what happend after that , I have no idea. Please reply Yours Terry Bevo.

Jan Hendrik
19th January 2006, 22:04
There is a write up on the ELPENOR on the main page -- tramp steamers -- this should actually be moved to the BFL, but you can make some comparisons with that ship.
Jan

R651400
20th January 2006, 09:41
undefinedundefined
I was in Elpenors sister ship Eumaeus in 1955 under Captain Large, and to my knowlage she did not trade down under.

The Elpenor in question Terry was built in 1917, one of the then Lycaon class.
Put Eumaeus in the gallery search engine for two shots of your old ship or click on below

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2995/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

Regards

Malcolm

gailb
14th May 2008, 01:54
hello terry bevo, this is gail bevo. Any links to the North East of England??

Orestes
14th May 2008, 05:37
I thought it may have been the Agamemnon, she left Sydey on her final voyage in 1960. I think the Aggie was built about the end of WW1.
I was 3rd trip middy on the Orestes at the time, and it is definitely not her.
I also did my 2nd trip to sea on the Nestor in 1960, Captain MacDonald was the old man, and avery humourless old man was he!!

Hugh Ferguson
14th May 2008, 20:53
Elpenor arriving Sydney 1949, after she lost a bit of her funnel during the war. If the Mystery Bluey is not this one then I believe she is one of that class. I sailed in the Elpenor as 3rd Mate and I was a middy in the earlier Lycaon which was very similar. It is much easier to state which ship it isn't and she is certainly not the NESTOR, EURYBATES or the AGAMEMNON. She could be any one of several such Blueys with the identical silhouette. Even the number of lifeboats is indeterminate as they all had provision for up to eight lifeboats but, as in the case of my ship, the ELPENOR, we only carried four on that particular voyage. I believe it will have to remain a mystery.

Hugh Ferguson
14th May 2008, 22:39
This one came up in the December 2004 Blue Funnel News Letter of The Blue Funnel Association and was answered in the January 2005 News Letter.

The vessel in question is the EURYBATES 91928 and the identification clue is the vent behind the funnel. She is identified as Eurybates 11 as two vessels carried the name in the HISTORY OF THE COMPANY. ( See Duncan Haws Merchant Fleet. No 6.) She was identified by Capt Dave McCaffery of Prestatyn. Wales.who had sailed on her.

Built 1928 at Scotts of Greenock GRT 6436 NRT 3988
1964 Broken Up.

Hope this helps.

Capt Bax. Belleville. Ontario. Canada.

ex Blue Funnel Line
Straits Steamship Co. Singapore.

The 1928 EURYBATES was a motor ship and therefore did not have a donkey funnel as does the one in the thumb-nail.
As far as I can tell all the coal burners of that era carried the donkey funnel forward of the funnel: the oil burners carried it abaft the funnel, at least that was the case in the three of that type that I sailed in.

Hugh Ferguson
15th May 2008, 22:08
The attached thumbnail is of a very similar ship to the Mystery Bluey, about to pass under the newly opened Sydney Harbour bridge in March 1932. The only difference between the two that I can detect is that of the donkey funnel being situated abaft the funnel, whereas in Tony's ship it is fo'rard of the funnel.
This one is verified as being of the Automedon which was to meet her end after being attacked by the surface raider, Atlantis, on 11th Nov.1940. The photograph appears in the book, Mrs Ferguson's Tea-Set, Japan & The Second World War, by Eiji Seki. The donor's grandfather, Donald Stewart, is stated to have been on-board but in what capacity is not known. He was however, the Second Mate on the bridge of the Automedon when she was attacked, and was lucky to survive the shelling which killed six including the master, Captain Ewan.
(See Forum on Books & Magazines for more on this remarkable book).

Pat Kennedy
15th May 2008, 23:04
I thought it may have been the Agamemnon, she left Sydey on her final voyage in 1960. I think the Aggie was built about the end of WW1.
I was 3rd trip middy on the Orestes at the time, and it is definitely not her.
I also did my 2nd trip to sea on the Nestor in 1960, Captain MacDonald was the old man, and avery humourless old man was he!!

We may have been shipmates, I too was in the Nestor in 1960, 4 month voyage calling at Singapore, Fremantle Adelaide, Geelong, Melbourne, and then back to load at the same ports except Singapore.
I cant remember the Captain, but the bosun was Bert Trapnell.
Regards,
Pat

CaptJim
25th May 2008, 15:01
yes the eurybates. i was 2nd mate when she was delivered to the breakers yard in ghent july 58

Dave Wilson
25th May 2008, 15:12
yes the eurybates. i was 2nd mate when she was delivered to the breakers yard in ghent july 58

Interesting posts Capt. What disillusioned you with the Blue Funnel after 19 yearsas there are many 'China Boat men' on this site. I was disillusioned with Blue Star after 12 years.