Four Wrecks

Rhiw.com
28th March 2005, 13:33
I borrowed an album of old sailing ship photographs, and this image was amongst them. I’m completely mystified as to where and when, this could’ve been taken. I have a great interest in shipwrecks, and consequently have several books on the subject, but I’ve never seen or heard of this one before. If you look closely, there is a fourth ship behind the bow of the one on the right. You’d think that four ships wrecked together, (If at all it is wreckage) would be well documented. Any light that can be shed on this, would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Tony.

Santos
28th March 2005, 17:49
Hi Tony,

The scene looks to serene to be a mass wrecking. The schooner looks to shipshape and there does not appear to be any visible damage to her sail or rigging. The hull also appears to be sound. Had she been the casualty of a great storm, I would have expected to have seen her sail in tatters and some other form of damage.

It all looks like ships being stranded aground at low water rather than wrecks.

The ship on the right could be a hulk, as she appears to have been a square rigger which is minus her fore topmasts and yards. Unfortunately it is difficult to assess the other two ships, but from what can be seen, there does not appear to be any visible damage on any of the ships in the picture.

I could be that the schooner is the casualty, and the subject of an accidental stranding, where I have no idea.

I am afraid thats the best I can come up with, which I am afraid is not much.

Kind regards,

Santos.

Rhiw.com
28th March 2005, 18:09
Many thanks for that Santos, when I first set eyes on the photo I just could not believe what I saw, the serene look you mentioned, could be attributed to using a tripod due to the long exposure, then the sea would have turned into a mist like appearance, but having said that, if there was any wind, the sails on the schooner would have been a blur, which they're not. Its a pity that people didn't scribble on the backs of these old photographs, it would save a lot of head scratching!!!. Best regards Tony.

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 08:21
How about this one then, any ideas? Or can you think of a good caption (:D) !!!

stevecz
29th March 2005, 11:12
Rocks, what rocks?

Stuart Smith
29th March 2005, 15:40
Is that the silly lugger I see?

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 16:59

Into Voice Pipe, “Captain, that dense fog has cleared but there’s a problem with getting under way again”

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 19:50
Captain, I think that new hand held G.P.S. we bought off E-bay is playing up!!! (//))

Santos
29th March 2005, 20:24
" Sorry to bother you Captain, Third Mate here, you know you said to call you if I was worried about anything, well ...............

John Rogers
29th March 2005, 21:55
Captain to crew.." Stop Rocking The Boat You Will Get Your Tot Of Rum"!!!!

Marcus Cardew
30th March 2005, 13:21
'3/O, Get the Draught'

This looks vaguely familiar to me. I think a year or so ago there was a TV program about some boat bringing back gold miners, etc from way up the NW coast of the USA/Canada somewhere, and it ran aground, but something went amiss before everyone was got off...

Rhiw.com
1st April 2005, 20:15
Lookout shouting from fo'c's'le, Captain I can see your house from here!!!

Rhiw.com
2nd April 2005, 19:22
I don't want to spoil the fun...but the above struck a note with me. On our return from my first deep sea voyage we took on a pilot at Dover, for passage up to Tilbury Docks. Some time after we'd taken the pilot on board, we sailed close in to the shore by the cliffs, and slowed down. The Old Man gave some hefty blasts on the whistle. His wife appeared on the cliff top waving a table cloth to welcome him home. I was told it was his garden that ran down to the cliff edge.

DaveM
This is far from spoiling anybody's fun, Great Nostagia Dave, Regards Tony.

Rhiw.com
2nd April 2005, 19:25
don't want to spoil the fun...but the above struck a note with me. On our return from my first deep sea voyage we took on a pilot at Dover, for passage up to Tilbury Docks. Some time after we'd taken the pilot on board, we sailed close in to the shore by the cliffs, and slowed down. The Old Man gave some hefty blasts on the whistle. His wife appeared on the cliff top waving a table cloth to welcome him home. I was told it was his garden that ran down to the cliff edge.

This is far from spoiling anybody's fun, Great Nostalgia Dave and keep them coming, Regards Tony.

marsat2
6th September 2005, 14:41
We will we will rock you!

Peter Fielding
6th September 2005, 14:46
Whoops!!

R58484956
6th September 2005, 14:58
I SAID FULL ASTERN

thunderd
6th September 2005, 15:00
You did say whisky on the rocks sir didn't you?

Bruce Carson
6th September 2005, 15:31
How about this one then, any ideas?

Hi:
That is a picture of the Canadian Pacific Railway's 'Princess May', which ran aground in fog in August 5, 1910. She fetched up on Sentinel Island in the Lynn Canal, south of Skagway, Alaska, but all 149 passengers and crew were rescued.
Built in 1888 by Hawthorne, Leslie, Newcastle for the Government of Formosa, she had many changes of name and nationality before the CPR bought her in 1901. She measured 1,394GT, 249' x 33', twin screws, triple expansion engines, about 15 knots. In CPR ownership she carried about 75 first class passengers and about the same in 2nd.
Brought off the rocks and repaired, she was sold in 1919 and ended her career about 1930.

Bruce C.

moaf
6th September 2005, 17:47
The location will explain why she didn't break her back then, she must have been ice strengthened

Bruce Carson
6th September 2005, 18:13
I think she was just lucky.
She was built for the South China Sea and I don't think she had any strengthening added when she came to the west coast of North America.
Eight years later, another Canadian Pacific ship, the 'Princess Sophia' went aground on Vanderbilt Reef in the Lynn Canal. It appeared that she was safe and those on board would be rescued when the weather moderated.
She slipped off the reef and foundered: there were no survivors.
Over 350 perished, making it the worst maritme disaster in West Coast history.

Bruce C.

The 'Princess Sophia' on Vanderbilt Reef:
http://www.seahook.com/sophia2.jpg
The 'Princess Sophia':
http://www.seahook.com/sophia.jpg

WLH
6th September 2005, 20:56
ex Spike Milligan, a.k.a. 'The Famous Eccles'.
Eccles the look out, Laaaa'nd ahead................
Cap'n Neddy--------where away,
Rendering sound effect crunching...the silence,
Eccles, um, can I go ashore sir!!!!!!!!!

Paul UK
6th September 2005, 21:12
Look Captain if your wife wants to drive let her drive !!!!

Paul

billyboy
6th September 2005, 23:33
i said east nor east! ... not east north street

Coastie
8th September 2005, 03:22
I told Jenkins that it was the propellors that needed cleaning!

erussellrv
8th September 2005, 06:14
Bugger!

John Feltham
9th January 2006, 16:19
"Keep absolutely still everybody !"

jim barnes
9th January 2006, 17:59
is it a still shot because i saw a bond movie something like this but a smaller vessel?? (Hippy)

Tmac1720
9th January 2006, 23:18
Skidmarks Captain? I don't see any skidmarks.

Coastie
20th March 2006, 03:58
As Michael Caine in the Italian Job said: "Don't worry, I'll think of something"!

Principe_Perfeito
24th March 2006, 13:54
A famous mass grounding, perhaps the largest and expensive screwup of the US Navy during peacetime, with the tragic consequences:
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/ev-1920s/ev-1923/hondapt.htm

Picture being retrived directly from Naval Historical Center website:
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h66000/h66721.jpg

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

sandman
24th March 2006, 14:53
Right Lads The Company Are Cutting Down On Drydocking,its All Hands To The Brush Wherever We Can,

Coastie
24th March 2006, 15:01
Looks like a scene from the Navy Lark! (Left hand down a bit!)

DAVIDJM
27th March 2006, 19:43
I think I can help Tony
I believe the ships were wreck near Hartland Point North Devon
I have a book with that picture in somewhere, but having moved a few months ago they are still in boxes, which is frustrating. But I hope this will be of some help.

David