Baychimo - Hudson Bay Shipping

Rhiw.com
29th March 2005, 08:55
My wife's uncle William Isaac Jones, of Holyhead Angelsey Wales, was on the Baychimo of the Hudson Bay Co Ltd, when she was trapped in ice, I think in the 1920's, and had to be abandoned, the crew lived with Eskimos for several months, a photograph was taken of the crew, but our copy was lost in a house fire many years ago. My wife would like any information about the Baychimo, which apparently was sighted many times after she broke free from the ice, and became known as a Ghost Ship. William Isaac, was pilot at Holyhead for many years after, as was his brother Cynfelin Jones and their father Joseph Colins Jones, before them. Thank you in anticipatin, Tony.

Santos
31st March 2005, 20:32
Hi Tony,

If you go to the following site :-

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1310/is_1991_August-Sept/ai_11323072

you will find a cracking article on the Baychimo, apparantly she was last seen in 1969 still afloat. With all this global warming and a lot of ice disappearing, what does everyone think, is she still afloat today ? Great story if she is.

Santos.

Rhiw.com
1st April 2005, 08:03
Hi Tony,

If you go to the following site :-

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1310/is_1991_August-Sept/ai_11323072

you will find a cracking article on the Baychimo, apparantly she was last seen in 1969 still afloat. With all this global warming and a lot of ice disappearing, what does everyone think, is she still afloat today ? Great story if she is.

Santos.

Spot on Santos, So it happend in 1931 (Networking), even my old mother in law couldn't remember the date!!! Regards Tony.
P.S. William Isaac, also sailed on a ship that was heavily involved in smuggling Booze to the States during the prohibition as well, but that's another story!!!

1st April 2005, 09:04
Amazing. If I hadn't read the thread first and just found the article, I'd have thought "Yeah Right!" and mentally filed it in the 'kidnapped by aliens' folder.

Dave

Rhiw.com
1st April 2005, 09:46
Amazing. If I hadn't read the thread first and just found the article, I'd have thought "Yeah Right!" and mentally filed it in the 'kidnapped by aliens' folder.

Dave
My mother in law told me the story years ago, but until Santos pointed me in the right direction, I too was having my doubts about the "Ghost Ship", Great Stuff, Regards Tony.

Willie
2nd January 2006, 00:30
An Uncle of mine worked with the 'Bay Boats' out of Ardrossan in the 1920's. There were other men from Ardrossan who worked on these ships. I believe there was a number of 'Bay Boats', although the only names I remember were 'Bay Chimo' and the Bay Eskimo. Many years ago while still at school, I saw a scrap book which included many photographs belonging to a former crew member, including a similar photograph to the one referred to. The crew of these boats had a very hard life, my Uncle was shipwrecked on board off the coast of Labradour. Willie

jim barnes
2nd January 2006, 03:05
Great story, I have heard some sea tales in my life but this is a good one, evan after reading it it sounds ghostly, wonder speilberg hasnt made a film? or has he? (Hippy)

non descript
20th October 2006, 14:02
An amazing story - just came across it as I was sorting threads and first time I heard of the saga.

GALTRA
21st October 2006, 00:38
Tony, Ive posted a copy of her and some info in the gallery. Look for a copy of "Merchant Princes", Acompany of adventurers, Vol 3,. ISBN 0-670-84098-X (v. 3) by Peter C.Newman, pages 223-224 in your local library for an account of her and photo. Charley.

Anthony Dalton
11th January 2007, 00:56
To learn the full story of the HBC steamship SS BAYCHIMO[I] read my new book. [I]BAYCHIMO, Arctic Ghost Ship published by Heritage House www.heritagehouse.ca in October 2006. It is a fascinating tale.

The ship was actually lost in late 1931 after serving 10 years in the Arctic.