Nsmo

Trevorw
23rd August 2007, 20:48
I worked for Blue Funnel for ten years, but I never knew how they came to acquire/create NSMO, the Dutch arm of Blue Flue'. I know they did a lot of their trade in the former Dutch East Indies, but can anyone enlighten me, please?

makko
23rd August 2007, 22:33
I believe that it was a ploy to trade to the "Spice Islands". Dutch flag for Dutch ports. Similar to the involvement in "Blue Sea", latterly Barber Blue Sea with Wilhelmsen, the old Swedish East Indies route. I may be wrong, as this is off the top of my head and stand to be corrected! Also, the (almost bitter) acquisition of the Royal Mail trade routes and incorporation of Glen Line. There is an article out there, probably Ships Monthly that talks about the cut and thrust during the establishment of Blue Funnel. I am out on site at the moment and have no way of checking.

Regards,

Dave

Tai Pan
1st September 2007, 12:17
did a coastal trip on an NSMO, amsterdam to Birkenhead, very pleasant guys all spoke english when I was present. learned to like geneva gin.

R651400
7th September 2007, 07:22
did a coastal trip on an NSMO, amsterdam to Birkenhead, very pleasant guys all spoke english when I was present. learned to like geneva gin.
I think Makko has hit the nail on the head on the origins of NMSO.
I did supernumerary to Singapore on Teiresias/PHXB and had a great time.
Surprised Radio Holland who employed NMSO R/O's allowed you to take one of their slots John, even coasting?
At the Central station end of Amsterdam's Damrak was a bar, owned by the father of a NMSO engineer, with pictures of all the NMSO "Blauw Pijpers," great place to have a beer.
Another BF Amsterdam watering hole was the "Old Nick" somewhere on or nr Canal Street.
Wonder what happened to them?
Melampus 1924-57 spent most of her life with NMSO. Picture courtesy of SN member CVB who has a superb gallery. http://vbp.omnispective.nl/

Tai Pan
7th September 2007, 10:15
Had to go through all the rigmarole of becoming a dutch seaman, issued with a dutch discharge book ( a Monsterbooke, I think it was called), all for a two day stint, I did absoloutley nothing at all during the trip, not even a meal releif, just sat on my bum and drank Geneva Gin.

Trevorw
7th September 2007, 20:24
It wasn't the Old Nick, it was thew Old Nickel/Oued Souer - you're right, it was on Canal Street. They used to serve the best steaks in the world, to say nothing of the "Donjke Bier" - which was a dark draught beer, almost like a pint of mild!

Tai Pan
8th September 2007, 10:33
Remember it well, those steaks were magnificent. once took the assistant consul there after we had been signing on new crew, he enjoyed it.

Tai Pan
8th September 2007, 10:47
bit worried about your remarks ref radio holland. we have two members of the ROA who worked for radio holland and I have emailed them for info. I thought they were direct employed as the firts R/O did the purser work as in Blue Funnel. will lety you know what he says. regards john

R651400
8th September 2007, 19:18
Nothing really to worry about.
Am sure NSMO R/O's were not direct employ like BF.
Teiresias was single op and R/O Hans van Geest used to let me take a watch.
I definitely remember using RH collective call PDRH.....
Was your voyage possibly one of the many flag/company switches that BF seemed obsessed with?

makko
9th September 2007, 00:23
My father loved working on these vessels - very clean and tidy.

Rgds.

Dave

R651400
9th September 2007, 07:06
My father loved working on these vessels - very clean and tidy.

Teiresias was immaculate as you say Dave. I coasted a few BF's as well as deep sea and she was the best kept Bluey I sailed on.
NSMO also kept their Odyssey names from ship to ship notably the "polys," Polyphemus and Polydorus.
Others in the mid fifties were Alcinous, Phrontis, Teucer and Laertes.
The 1920's Alcinous class built almost exclusively for NMSO were motorships years ahead of their time having more than one hold between bridge and engine room giving them a tanker-like appearance.
I signed on and off in Amsterdam more than once, my second home port to Liverpool. Happy days!

Tai Pan
9th September 2007, 10:36
woul;d seem you are correct ref radio holland, however as the 1st R/O did purser work as per norman bluie, they must have been on permanent contract. I have no idea why i was sent from Liverpool to amsterdam then issued with seamans book, then sailed from amsterdam to birkenhead, I got off in the locks, seems daft to me but that is what happened, the dutch R?O did with me did everthing, I did not lift a finger, strange.

R651400
9th September 2007, 12:18
woul;d seem you are correct ref radio holland, however as the 1st R/O did purser work as per norman bluie, they must have been on permanent contract. I have no idea why i was sent from Liverpool to amsterdam then issued with seamans book, then sailed from amsterdam to birkenhead, I got off in the locks, seems daft to me but that is what happened, the dutch R?O did with me did everthing, I did not lift a finger, strange.
Indeed strange!
I do not recollect any other R/O on Teiresias excepting Hans, always resplendent in his Radio Holland uniform, scrambled egg on the sleeve, wavy gold band on a red background. When ashore trying to impress that "van" in Dutch as "von" in German was one of aristocratic origins.
Pity it didn't stretch to his pocket when buying a round of beer, extending down the complete officer cadre of Teiresias after losing at darts to the UK supernumeraries.
Perhaps we should call on Ruud to come up with the answers...

Tai Pan
10th September 2007, 12:25
cant remember the ships name but it was sister ship to Ulysses, these were ex silver line. I sailed many voyages on Ulysses. the cabin I had on NSMO was the same as 1st R/O on Ulysses, and the 2nd R/O had the cabin on the boat deck.The ships office was the same. I am talking about 1954, maybe things changed later.

Hank
16th September 2007, 16:13
Another BF Amsterdam watering hole was the "Old Nick" somewhere on or nr Canal Street.
Wonder what happened to them?
The Old Nick(el) is still going strong. A friend of mine had a beer and a butty there a couple of weeks ago. It's a preserved building so it will be around for a while yet.
Cheers, John

R651400
18th September 2007, 08:01
[I]
The Old Nick(el) is still going strong. A friend of mine had a beer and a butty there a couple of weeks ago. It's a preserved building so it will be around for a while yet. Cheers, John

Good to hear John, thanks vm for the info.

Dolius
4th November 2007, 15:48
It wasn't the Old Nick, it was the Old Nickel/Oued Souer - you're right, it was on Canal Street. They used to serve the best steaks in the world, to say nothing of the "Donjke Bier" - which was a dark draught beer, almost like a pint of mild!

I was at the Old Nickel a few months ago, enjoying as Hank says, a beer and a butty. The interior is much the same as it was in the 60's except that the bar is now on the right hand side as you walk in, instead of facing you. The old clock is still there in the same position and probably showing the same time, as the key has been lost for years. The Croatian barman (jokingly)wondered if I knew where it could be !
I attach a recent postcard.

Trevorw
5th November 2007, 17:46
What a great photograph! It brings it all back to me! As you say, apart from the bar, it's exactly as it was.

KENNEEDHAM
16th November 2007, 22:55
Teiresias was immaculate as you say Dave. I coasted a few BF's as well as deep sea and she was the best kept Bluey I sailed on.
NSMO also kept their Odyssey names from ship to ship notably the "polys," Polyphemus and Polydorus.
Others in the mid fifties were Alcinous, Phrontis, Teucer and Laertes.
The 1920's Alcinous class built almost exclusively for NMSO were motorships years ahead of their time having more than one hold between bridge and engine room giving them a tanker-like appearance.
I signed on and off in Amsterdam more than once, my second home port to Liverpool. Happy days!

My father was on the Teiresias male nurse in the 50,s and the Adrastus also Polydorus he took his kids for a look around the ship when it was in Liverpool in the late 50,s