Pendennis Castle

Fairfield
30th March 2005, 07:58
Taken outbound from Southampton in 1975 passing another Castle,Red Funnel/s NETLEY CASTLE inbound from Cowes.
Think PENDENNIS ended her days as SINBAD I in the Middle East.

Roger
30th March 2005, 12:43
Brings back fond memories to me. Celebrated my twenty first birthday in Durban, on the one and only trip I did on her as a wine waiter. Thanks for that. Roger

Don S
15th April 2005, 19:35
Prior to her beging named "Sinbad I" she was named "Ocean Queen" but ended up being laid-up in Hong Kong. In 1977 the shipping company of Panama bought her and named her "Sinbad I". In 1980 she finally ended her days in Koahsiung Taiwan for scarpping.
The "Pendennis Castle" was a trully great and happy ship loved by all who sailed in her.

dave beaumont
12th July 2005, 15:04
Did one round trip on her in april 73.Great deck crew on trip.Good ship to work on. Notice she is often called Sinbad 1 but in photos i have seen she is called Sindbad 1. the d is always left out in a lot of articles written about her. She may be gone but will never be forgotton.

Compo55
18th October 2005, 22:04
Pendennis Castle was my first ship when I was 16. I joined her as a bell boy in December 1971 and did 8 round trips before I left in January 1973.

She was a great ship and I still have lots of good memories. Even now I am still collecting many photos and other memorabilia from those days.

ruud
17th May 2006, 07:38
Ahoy,

From the same photographer Ian Shiffman, here the Pendennis Castle1958, picture taken on her last final departure from Cape Town on 02-06-1976.
©I.Shiffman & © L.M.Correia collection [Postcards]

nobby s
20th July 2007, 23:00
The Pendennis is another ship that brings back some memories for me. I remember going down and seeing an old mate of mine off on her maiden voyage in 1958. Little did I know then that in 1963 I would complete 5 trips on her as assistant pantryman. The 5th being my last trip to sea as crew.

Chris Isaac
21st July 2007, 08:43
Why is it that some ships are remembered by all with such fondness. I sailed on her for many voyages as Extra and Senior Second Officer in the late 60s and early 70s.
She was always the most popular of the mail ships..... she had the old charm of ships like Edinburgh Castle, the comfort of the new like Windsor Castle but without the Windsor b***s***

dave beaumont
22nd July 2007, 12:18
Chris where you on her in April 73 when i was on her? Dave

VTR1000
22nd July 2007, 15:07
The Pendennis, Edinburgh, Windsor, S.A.Oranje and Vaal (I think?) were my first ever ships. Sailed on all those before I'd even reached the age of 10. They were the days when it was cheaper to sail to South Africa than it was to fly. Still have a scar above my right eye from when I smashed my head open on one of them. I was only a kid then but still have fond memories - especially the fun on Crossing the Line day.

Incidently, my Uncle and Aunt both worked for Union Castle too. He was (I think, a Chippy) and my Aunt a nurse.

andysk
23rd July 2007, 12:32
Hi Chris ...

Were you on there with a 4th R/O called Dave Abbey ? Commonly known as 'Abbey the Nu' I believe ! He and I were at Norwood Tech together, and joined B&C at the same time - the end of 1970

(God - it seems a hell of a long time ago !)

Cheers

Andy

Chris Isaac
23rd July 2007, 16:51
Dave
I had left Pendennis by 1973 so seems like out times did not coincide

Andy
The name Dave Abbey rings a huge bell but it was a very long time ago and I have to admit that I would be more likely to remember the names of Purserettes, Nursing Sisters and Chilly Hos that 4R/Os.

Cheers
Chris

andysk
23rd July 2007, 20:08
............. and I have to admit that I would be more likely to remember the names of Purserettes, Nursing Sisters and Chilly Hos that 4R/Os. ........

Well well Chris, you do surprise me !!!!

Cheers

Andy

Shipbuilder
27th September 2007, 08:20
Not everyone liked PENDENNIS CASTLE. I sailed in her for a year & although I acknowledge that she was a fine looking ship & the ship's company were first class, I didn't find her particularly comfortable. The 1st class cabins, captain & chief engineer enjoyed air conditioning as well as the crew, but the officers & tourist passengers just had to boil & simmer in the tropics. To make matters worse, I had a bridge front cabin with the door opposite it & a long alleyway opposite the door. If I had window & door open, I had to put up with a 22 1/2 knot draught roaring through & often woke up soaked by tropical rain. There were also a lot of cockroaches crawling about in the accommodation, more than I have seen on any other ship. I served on WINDSOR CASTLE for five years and found her a much more comfortable ship and can honestly say that we all got on very well and I was not aware of any friction between departments although it seems to have become "legend" that she was not as happy as the rest. I spent a year in S.A. ORANJE as well & given the choice between here & PENDENNIS, it would be S.A. ORANJE any time. Also sailed in TRANSVAAL CASTLE, EDINBURGH CASTLE, RICHMOND CASTLE, GOOD HOPE CASTLE & REINA DEL MAR. My favourite was GOOD HOPE CASTLE, followed by WINDSOR CASTLE.
Bob

Bob Preston
27th September 2007, 16:01
Well spoken Bob. I found the Windsor a happy ship, and didn't we have fun on the Reina. Known as the fun ship of the the Lavender Line with good reason!!!!!

The other U.C. Bob

Shipbuilder
27th September 2007, 18:30
Hi Bob,
yes, we did indeed. I should have mentioned REINA DEL MAR as another favourite - a very comfortable & well fitted out ship. There didn't seem much Bull at all on WINDSOR CASTLE - Captain Hort was very quiet & I can't remember him ever raising his voice to anyone. Followed by Captain Ronnie Wright, another good chap. The pair of them served their time in Hungry Hogarths "Barons".

When I joined, I had just come from S.A. VAAL where Bull was at an astonishing level. I dreaded boat drills where the captain seemd to take a delight in bawling me out all the time. It was nothing personal though, everyone from the Staff Commander (Mr. Lofts) downwards got the same treatment. The peace & friendliness of WINDSOR CASTLE came as a great relief.
Regards
Bob

Chris Isaac
27th September 2007, 19:21
Bob (ShipBuilder)
I am fairly sure we sailed on Pendennis together, I was Second Officer and had the other cabin that had the bridge front window, the opposite (starboard) alley way and the 22.5 (sometimes 23) knot wind blowing through.
Capt Charnley was master at the time.
We may also have been togther on Reina del Mar, I was 3rd Officer with Capt Jimmy James as Master.
I went on to the Windsor with Chuckles when he was appointed there.
Pendennis was my own favourite of all the mail ships.
Never sailed with Capt Hort but I do remember Ronnie Wright with great fondness... good man... good master a real gentleman with a great sense of humour.
In fact I liked nearly all mail ship masters... they always left you to get on with it on the bridge didnt interfere. I guess they had other things to do unlike cargo ship captains who were in and out of the bridge all day long.

Shipbuilder
27th September 2007, 20:26
Hi Chris,
On PENDENNIS CASTLE when I was there, the captains were Beadon & Charnley respectively. I joined PENDENNIS on 20th Sept 1972 & left 20th Aug 1973.
REINA DEL MAR 30th Mar 68 to 30th Aug 68 - 23rd Mar 70 to 5th June 70 & finally 12th Jul to 8th Sep 72. Selection of captains there - James, Catterall, Wright, Sillars. Last saw Capt. Caterall in 1983 in Falmouth. Was sauntering along the front with Capt. Bob Wyatt (ex UC) whilst our RMS ST. HELENA was laid up there after refit following Falkland Islands 13 months & he was coming in the opposite direction with Dr. McNamara (Ex UC). We had a long reminicence, & Bob invited them to lunch on ST. HELENA next day, but I missed it because I went on leave next morning.
Regarding WINDSOR CASTLE. Friends I met aboard there, I sailed with more or less continually until leaving the sea in Oct. 92. Namely Colin Dellar purser, Dave Padmore catering officer, Jeannie Bonner Chilli Ho, Dusty Miller Head Waiter, Les Farrow Chief Barman, Chef Joe Laight. Other ex UC staff in the ST. HELENA were Angie Read purserette, John McMinn 2nd eng, Tony Fussell deck, Bob Bendall 2nd eng, Wally Croston 3rd eng, Peter Wood 4the eng, Bryan Gillot chief eng ex 1st eng Pen C, Brian Cooper chief eng,Peter Anstruther ex SA VAAL steward.
Regards
Bob

Shipbuilder
27th September 2007, 20:32
PS
Forgot to mention pursers Geoff Shallcross & John Dimmock, both ex UC & ex WINDSOR CASTLE.
Bob

andysk
28th September 2007, 17:47
Several familiar names in your list Bob, well remember John McMinn, who did a period on ELBE ORE with his wife, Marion (?). She, if I remember right, made some comment about having seen enough after a day and a half punching into a severe gale in ballast to Seven Islands in January of, I think, 1973 or 1974. I took some slides, when I find them I'll scan and post them here. Phil Rentall was 2/O at that time - now Captain on Saga something I think. The Captain was Ian 'Corky' Bennett from Helensburgh.

That was a fun trip for weather ....

Bob Preston
28th September 2007, 20:35
I was involved in fumigating the Pendennis in KG5 drydock in 1970. I got the job of donning the CAB and going down below to start a generator and then the vent fans. I never noticed the effect on the cockroach population.
During the seaman's strike I was on nights and whilst doing a late night inspection on the Windsor. I was making my way down below, to run up a generator to light the ship up, via the crew galley. In the beam from my torch I was aware of a shimmering. On a closer inspection, to my horror I saw the place was alive with cockroaches, thousands and thousands of them. I had served in the ship for 2 years + and never seen a single one until then.
Did any of you see the incident of Capt. Lloyd being carried ashore from the Transvaal after a heart attack and the crew lining the deck cheering, or is it just wishful thinking?

The other UC Bob.

dave beaumont
29th September 2007, 11:16
Hi Bob (shipbuilder) i was on voyage 101 4/4/73 to 14/5/73, Captain Beadon so must have been same time as you. I was part of the deck crew . Good trip and great deck crowd although food lousy. Never saw a cockroache though! Dave

G0SLP
29th September 2007, 12:22
I never served on the Pendennis; she went just before I joined B&C. I did, however, sail with Capt. P St. Q Beadon on the Table Bay. (Also sailed on there with Capt Stan Catterall, including his last trip).

I heard lots of stories about the mailboats though. C/Es Bob Gemmill & John Bunney had many!

Watchitm80
5th September 2008, 12:29
My late uncle had 3 First Day Covers of the last departure of the Pendennis Castle from Table Bay Harbour on 1st June 1976. The one pictured below was signed by the Master JS Catterrell, I think?

PJG1412
7th December 2008, 21:54
I thought these photos may add some interest to this thread, I served on the Pendennis and Stirling 62/63, good memories. I also have more menus of both ships, plans, passenger list, and salary slips, strange what you keep for years !!!
Five years ago when on the St. Helena (as passenger) met some of the crew who were also on both ships at the same time.
(Jester)

sod's opera
7th January 2009, 22:01
Hi compo55, I was on the Pen in '71! Did the Christmas trip. I worked in the platehouse, scullery with a guy named Albie. Other names I remember were Jimmy, a guy from Glasgow with longish ginger hair who worked in 2nd class galley. Great ship with a good atmosphere.
I have some pics on slides which I'll try and get transferred to photo images and I'll upload them.

The SA run was my favourite.

Tanuki
17th January 2009, 21:06
... I joined PENDENNIS on 20th Sept 1972 & left 20th Aug 1973....

Guess we must have sailed together Bob and, as Junior Purser (June 1972-June 1973), I would no doubt have picked up the daily news from you in the radio room at 06:00 or some such unearthly hour, so that I could print it off whilst still half asleep and hungover (Cloud) , and get the Bell Boys to deliver it to the pax. Unfortunately, the ravages of time and alcohol have seriously eroded my memories of those I sailed with. Though, years later I caught up with Adrian Woodgate (2nd Purser, Pendennis) whilst on a course in Liverpool when we were both with Salen (UK) and also met up with the leckie (whose name I can't recall -- came from Southshields I think) when we both sailed on the Spanish Wasa.

peter jacobs
19th February 2009, 18:23
I thought these photos may add some interest to this thread, I served on the Pendennis and Stirling 62/63, good memories. I also have more menus of both ships, plans, passenger list, and salary slips, strange what you keep for years !!!
Five years ago when on the St. Helena (as passenger) met some of the crew who were also on both ships at the same time.
(Jester)

Did you prehaps know a David Duncan that was possibly on these vessels?

regards
Peter

NoMoss
19th February 2009, 19:32
Dave
I had left Pendennis by 1973 so seems like out times did not coincide

Andy
The name Dave Abbey rings a huge bell but it was a very long time ago and I have to admit that I would be more likely to remember the names of Purserettes, Nursing Sisters and Chilly Hos that 4R/Os.

Cheers
Chris

Not surprised you remembered the female members of staff - I did only half a voyage on her in August 1961 when I was 'shanghaied' in Capetown over to the Pretoria to take over from the 4th RO who was paid off for some reason or other. I was just getting used to the 'Choir Practice' routine and was very sad to leave.
As has been said the Pendennis was a happy mixture of old and new. I certainly noticed the absence of stabilisers when we left Capetown on the return trip having arrived with them in action.

kaybee
5th April 2010, 00:01
Taken outbound from Southampton in 1975 passing another Castle,Red Funnel/s NETLEY CASTLE inbound from Cowes.
Think PENDENNIS ended her days as SINBAD I in the Middle East.

Pendennis Castle was my first ship, I did two trips on her. 4/11/70 - 14/12/70 & 22/12/70 - 1/2/71. At the time I didn't like her 'cos she was a "passenger ship" and I wanted to get my "hands dirty" on a cargoe ship. But on reflection I enjoyed the trips and the blokes I met on her, especially the bosun who's name escapes me. To me, as a young lad, he was the epitomy of a bosun.I remember he came from Southhampton. I look on the Pendennis with such affection (as well as my other ships) that my email address is <Pendennis@gmail.com>

kaybee
5th April 2010, 00:13
Did you prehaps know a David Duncan that was possibly on these vessels?

regards
Peter

Hi Peter.

I think I know Dave. I sailed with him and his twin brother Peter on the Rio Cobre 5/7/73 - 2/11/73. What a pair of comedians and could they play a guitar? I remember them saying that they even played with Johny Cash. There was about 5 of us on the Cobre who had been on the Pendennis. One other was a Roger Levardier.

Cheers.

Kev.

Kingham SJ
9th April 2010, 16:27
pendennis casltle was bought with the intention of being converted into a floating hotel in the sychelles.It never came off. To costly to convert with regulations regarding discharge of waste water etc.Also the overthrow of the sychelle goverment in the late seventies.As already stated she was laid up in Hong Kong for quite awhile.Later scrapped

dave beaumont
25th April 2010, 14:41
Kaybee, I was on Pendennis Castle April 73 and Bosun that trip was a guy called Perry (last name) Believe he had a brother who was also a bosun on Union Castle. Captain was Beadon. Remember the Duncan brothers playing guitar. Chers Dave

scuba
28th March 2012, 11:01
Bob(shipbuilder) & Dave,

Do either of you remember me?

Bob Gallagher, 3rd Electrician, sailed on the Pen from April 73 to April 74. My Chief was Sam McLean an Second was Jim Finnegan.

chrisbarker
4th July 2012, 08:07
PS
Forgot to mention pursers Geoff Shallcross & John Dimmock, both ex UC & ex WINDSOR CASTLE.
Bob

John allowed me to count the cash in the Pusers office when I was bell boy in 69/70. To have over£1000 in your hands when I was only earning £24 a month was unbelievable at the time. Do remember Geoff as well. The only personi couldn't seeeye to eye with was Wally Stewart 2nd Purser/Catering. I was known as Chris Coward then

dave4456
30th August 2012, 08:16
Pendennis Castle was my first ship when I was 16. I joined her as a bell boy in December 1971 and did 8 round trips before I left in January 1973.

She was a great ship and I still have lots of good memories. Even now I am still collecting many photos and other memorabilia from those days.

I was on her at the same time she was my second trip away after leaving Sea School Denton was so happy to get away first trip was home trade I was also a bell boy worked the first class resturant

dave4456
30th August 2012, 10:03
Sailed on Her in the Summer of 73 did one trip as Bell boy had serve in the first class resturant shitting it picked up 5 students nurses in cape town and served them up to Durban and back to Cape town then a couple from Cape town to Southampton got £20 in tips thought I was rich, left after 1 trip to join mate on Oranje as Ass Steward then Topside Steward great times the early 70s you grew up very fast and learned quick.

dave4456
30th August 2012, 10:06
Who was the Matre De on the Pendennis 71-73 time anyone remember

Chris Isaac
30th August 2012, 15:36
The Head Waiter in 1st Class at that time was Chris Guy

Bleurk
19th November 2013, 15:15
I travelled back from Cape Town with my family aged about 6 on the Pendennis Castle not entirely sure of the date bt it was around September/October 1965.

There had been an incident and a large quantity of gold had been stolen - on that run or the previous one. There was a fancy dress party/competition and my parents imaginatively dressed me, my brother and my sister in cardboard boxes covered in gold foil (quite where they got that from I don't know unless they had had the opportunity to pre-plan before boarding) - we were announced as 'three of the missing gold bars' - somewhere we have a photograph - the officers and crew were decidedly not amused.....

Presumably the loss had caused some sanctions to have been taken on the crew?

I understand that in practice the gold had not been removed but had been 'painted in' - and so was later re-discovered and recovered but that could be apocryphal.

Anyway my sister and I are making a 50 year anniversary visit to Cape Town in January.

Does anyone know the specific dates of the sailings. I've just remembered that the ship was nearly empty of passengers so we were upgraded and accommodated in two 'staterooms' rather than the below decks cramped single cabin with two bunk beds that we had on the way down on Cape Town Castle two years previously.

Duncan112
19th November 2013, 15:58
Couple of threads on here about gold being stolen on "Capetown Castle" http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=6137 and http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=111

Bleurk
19th November 2013, 16:28
Oh thanks, Duncan112, I will have to check back with my Dad on which vessel was which as obviously the gold was on the Cape Town Castle.

We went one way on the Cape Town Castle and the other on Pendennis Castle.

Anton Kelly
19th November 2013, 16:36
Hi everyone

I sailed in Pendennis from Southampton to east London in 1967, aged 12. Wonderful trip.

woodend
19th November 2013, 16:48
She was a very happy ship amongst the passengers as well. My wife and I and two young daughters emigrated on her from Southampton to Port Elizabeth July / August 1966. I was worried about travelling the 'other side of the fence' but soon settled in. The Cabin Stewardess 'found' my discharge book and 'ticket' and word went round he ship very quickly.

Anton Kelly
20th November 2013, 07:53
We also did a trip in 1962, East London to Southampton in the Capetown Castle and return 6 months later in Pendennis. They were wonderful ships for kids, very friendly crews, pool, bridge visits, ice cream at 11am!