Amy Summerfield

Rhiw.com
30th March 2005, 08:23
One ship that became known as an Ďunluckyí vessel was the Amy Summerfield, a 407 tons coal burning steam coaster, built in 1921 for the Summerfield co ltd, Liverpool. In December 1922, she was discovered adrift in the Irish Sea, some seamen boarded her, to claim salvage rights, but unfortunately she sank at the mouth of the River Mersey, and two of them lost their lives. She was soon re-floated, and continued trading, but in March 1927 she was sold off to W A Savage & Co. On the 23rd of March 1949, she collided in dense fog with the ĎPass of Linyí in the Ribble Estuary, but this time no one was injured. Her final passage at the grand old age of 30, on the 23rd of March 1951, was to a stone quarry on the north coast of the Llyn Peninsula North Wales, (was it fate or coincidence that she had been in difficulty, on the same date two years earlier?) Amy was a frequent visitor, and had called at the quarry only a few days earlier, but because of the stormy conditions she had to return to Liverpool without her cargo of stone sets. The Skipper knew that it would be impossible to come alongside in such weather, and had decided to return to the Mersey, where he was reprimanded by his employers, and sent immediately back to load his cargo, with the threat of dismissal hanging over him, if he returned a second time empty handed. The company were determined to make a profit at all costs (or so it would appear). The weather conditions had deteriorated when Amy returned, when passing a line to the gang on the jetty, they failed to catch hold of it, the mooring line fell into the sea, and immediately entangled in her prop. Little Amy was yet again at the mercy of the sea, and was duly blown onto the beach, and her stern embedded into the jetty, threatening to cause severe damage to it. She had been holed by a sharp rock below the water line, and attempts to repair it failed, And poor little Amy (=|) , was scrapped on the beach where she lay. Her bow was still there in 1980, when I took this photo. Regards Tony.

Rhiw.com
30th March 2005, 09:37
I find your comment quite disturbing. Iíve been a seafarer all my life, and my whole life revolves around the sea. I have been on this forum less than a week, and without doubt itís the best website I have ever been on. (and thatís counting my own as well) Surely the whole point of the internet is to share knowledge and information. The hits on my website have not gone up by much in the last week, and this does not bother me or my wife in the slightest, as we donít make anything from it, but we have met hundreds of new friends, from all over the world. There are several links on these pages to many different websites, and as far as I know this is the first time that you have objected, and I hope this is not a personal thing. As I would not like that at all, because seafarers are a friendly bunch of lads. Best regards to you Zeewestie and all other members and guests. Tony P.S. If the Administrators of this website feel that I have done anything wrong, I hope they will do the right thing, and delete all my posts.

Rhiw.com
30th March 2005, 10:03
There has been a link to this website, on my main maritime page (rhiw and the sea) for the last six days, ever since I was introduced to this website, by a guest on mine (Networking) Fondest Regards, Tony.

david smith
30th March 2005, 11:01
I don't see a problem Tony - the start of this thread is most interesting, and I'm sure fits the implied criteria of Ship Nostalgia. Those nearer to New South Wales probably have no idea where the Llyn Peninsular is!

Rhiw.com
30th March 2005, 11:19
I don't see a problem Tony - the start of this thread is most interesting, and I'm sure fits the implied criteria of Ship Nostalgia. Those nearer to New South Wales probably have no idea where the Llyn Peninsular is!
Cheers David!!! The story about Little Amy on this thread is a much shortened version than the one I have on my unmentionable website (:X) I know that a lot of ex seafarers frequent this website, and you never know, one of them might have been on the Amy at the time, Boy that would make some story. Regards Tony.

Santos
30th March 2005, 20:06
Hi Tony,

I have no problem with your threads either - nobody is forced to read them again if they have already seen them. I would have thought that there must be many visitors to this site who are unaware of your excellent site and anyone reading about Amy for the first time on this site would have found it very interesting, the whole purpose of this site I would have thought.

Carry on mate, just think if it wasnt for us sailors and those who have gone before us, there would not be any stories to tell.

Full ahead both, in fact full ahead everything you've got.

Santos.

stevecz
30th March 2005, 20:50
Keep it up, I like these little stories. Certainly better than watching the telly.

Rhiw.com
31st March 2005, 08:41
A friend of mine who's a local historian, spent a long time researching this story about little Amy, he even travelled to Liverpool (over a hundred miles) to visit the maritime museum, where he spent many an hour sifting through mountains of documents, to find every little detail. These people are the real heroes, and without their enthusiasm, many a story would be lost. I salute them all. Regards to you all, Tony.

"History is a window on the past, and a lesson for the future"