Reunion???

storybooks
2nd September 2007, 18:30
OK. We're all around. Some of us are still alive. Some of us are not called Captain Voldermort. Is there enought interest out there to have a renion of some sorts - a Palmlners weekend somewhere (or not)??

cacique
2nd September 2007, 22:47
A good idea, but will need a great deal of notice so that those of us abroad may combine such a reunion with a trip back to the UK. Start planning now for a 2008 reunion.

In order to contact a greater number of people I think that we should contact Palmliners on other websites and forums, if it helps I would be willing to contact those Palmliners registered in friendsreunited and recommend that they join this site and follow the thread.

Kind Regards. David Wilson.

cacique
3rd September 2007, 02:58
Sent messages to the 66 Palmliners registered in Friendsreunited (but only 50 listed as received), also posted in the Palm Line Forum with MerchantNavyOfficers.com. Let's see if any of them respond. Kind Regards. David Wilson.

storybooks
3rd September 2007, 06:55
Hi David
Thank you for that. Don't know where you live but yes, would probably take six+ months to organise and be fitted into people's schedule for 2008. As we're mostly now of retirement age (!), it shouldn't be too difficult.
Mind you, doesn't have to be in the UK. Suggestions welcome (but I think that a lot of the West African coast is not really safe or or suitable these days. But Gambia maybe?)
Any ideas very welcome.
Cheers. John

storybooks
3rd September 2007, 07:36
Hi again David.
See you live in Venezuela.
Janet and I, for the last 13 years, have always spent at least three months of the UK winters away - usually in SE Asia - we hate the cold!
This year, however, we fancy somewhere different.
Sell Venezuela to us!
J&J

storybooks
3rd September 2007, 07:46
http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/

Interesting. J

Peter (Pat) Baker
3rd September 2007, 13:39
How do I find the Palm Line forum on MerchantNavyOfficers.com site?.
I have tried but can find nothing.
I wish to enquire about the suggested Palm Line reunion,
Peter Baker.

cacique
3rd September 2007, 15:29
Pat,

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com

Press the click to enter, then select Noticeboard, scroll down until you reach Palm Line.

But there is not much there, the reunion thread is here in shipsnostalgia.

Kind Regards. David Wilson.

Russell K Stubbs
3rd September 2007, 16:52
Have just joined the site and am interested in the Palm line reunion idea. Came across Dick Matta (Purser/ChiefSteward) a few months ago, he's still living in Devon.

Howard S
3rd September 2007, 17:28
Have just joined this site after I had a mesage from David Wilson on the Friends site. A reunion sounds a good idea - how about Jamaica where I live and work??
Howard Spittle

scottie dog
3rd September 2007, 19:40
Fetch it on.
But like so many I am abroad a great deal, still living in the UK but work out of Louisiana.
Self employed so I am sure I could fit in, who will take the responsibility to organise?

For those that dont know Bob Stenhouse died from cancer several months back, I had only just managed to get back in touch just before he passed away.

Mick Scott
mascottt@fastmail.fm

dlogan
3rd September 2007, 23:39
Just joined after getting e-mail from Dave Wilson through Friends re-united.

So sorry to hear about Bob Stenhouse, he was a good guy, taskmaster at times but worked hard and played hard.

Dont know if anyone remembers me, Dave Logan, from Kilmarnock, Scotland, cadet started 1977 and got up to 4th engineer before the dreaded redundancies, left 1986. Last 3 trips doing the run from Brazil / Australia/ S Africa

re-union sounds good, based now in Scotland doing Health and Safety around UK and venturing abroad at times.

Hope you are all well, give me a shout anyone who remembers me.

Dave Logan

scottie dog
4th September 2007, 00:04

So sorry to hear about Bob Stenhouse, he was a good guy, taskmaster at times but worked hard and played hard.

Dont know if anyone remembers me, Dave Logan, from Kilmarnock, Scotland, cadet started 1977 and got up to 4th engineer before the dreaded redundancies, left 1986. Last 3 trips doing the run from Brazil / Australia/ S Africa

re-union sounds good, based now in Scotland doing Health and Safety around UK and venturing abroad at times.

Dave Logan

Dave,
Sorry Dont remember you but you are correct, Bob could be a task master at times and as you say got the job done.
I personnaly never came across a better engineer.
I remember in particular when a shoreside company couldn't fix a submersible pump, this was a red flag to a bull, Bob machined on the ER lathe a new volute casing and the dam thing worked.
Regards
Mick

Howard S
4th September 2007, 00:44
It occurs to me that Palm Line does still have a reunion I believe in the NW as a recent letter from Jammy Mathews (C/Engr still going strong at 70) mentioned he had been to one. I know Captain Eddie Brawn was there but can't remember who else he mentioned.

scottie dog
4th September 2007, 00:58
"ONE WHEEL ON MY WAGON" Mr Mathews do I remember correctly Howard
Mick

cacique
4th September 2007, 01:20
Jammy - The Atomic Comic

Peter (Pat) Baker
4th September 2007, 12:24
David Wilson,

many thanks for your reply with information about the Palm Line reunion site.

I will follow it with interest to see what may transpire.

Cheers,
Peter (Pat) Baker.

Howard S
6th September 2007, 21:33
Oh yes that would be Jammy alright - I did many many voyages with him! Never touch a GT these days!!

Alwyn
18th September 2007, 22:56
Dave Wilson,
Thanks for the email mate - I have been off the "tinternet" for some time now and am amazed and gratified that Palm Line shipmates are so active!
A reunion would be brill, but I fear my memory of the people I have met, and the good and bad times we shared are now beginning to blur. It would be good to re-kindle them.
Very sad to hear about Bob Stenhouse, very fond memories of him - including as apprentice with him as 4th, and with him as first trip Chief and me as Second. That reminds me - anyone remember Martin Shotaway (Hathaway)?
Glad you are still as active Adrian. How's your dad?
Best wishes to all I have met, and good luck with the potential reunion.
Alwyn

Steve Hillyard
18th September 2007, 22:59
Would be good to catch up,so very interested, early 2008 would suit me. Still have some vivid memories and some photos lying about that I will try and post.

Thanks to Dave for the info,

Steve Hillyard

cacique
20th September 2007, 14:54
Alwyn - good to see you around mate ! Shotaway - that brings back memories, having had the pleasure of sailing with Mister and Missus Shotaway!
What of the old band from the Santa Barbara Pacific ?
Kind Regards, David Wilson.

cacique
20th September 2007, 14:57
Sorry Alwyn, I nearly forgot - good old "Captain Sensible" - heard he´d gone into landscape gardening consultancy but not sure whether it was true or someome pulling my plonker !

barrypriddis
23rd September 2007, 19:52
Will watch this thread with interest. Liverpool would be an appropriate location, but will see what transpires. Speaking of Liverpool, anybody remember Billy Thompson and Dennis Calaghan - both from Liverpool and latterly purser/chief steward with the company in the early 70's.

Alwyn
27th September 2007, 00:34
Liverpool for a reunion - now that would be real nostalgia!
Anyone remember the "She" club and "grab a granny night" at the Grafton (I was introduced to this erotic extravaganza by Norman Thompson - remember Norman the Foreman?).
Looking forward to it already!
Regards to all,
Alwyn

cacique
28th September 2007, 01:00
Thanks Alwyn, be one for the books now - being turned down by the once graceful and grateful "Grannies". Gordon Grey, Ken Mitchell and Norman with the mighty MAN and those effing SKL's ? Kind Regards. David Wilson.

pedena
28th September 2007, 10:43
Hello one and all, I like the idea of a reunion and think Liverpool has to be the place. If a success then further meets could be arranged for somewhere on the continent so UKWAL and COWAC areas are all covered.
Have had contact with Captain Bob Vinton, Andy Hogan, Eddie Burkhill, Ron Hilton, Bernie Grace, Ian Haffenden.
Dave Wilson keeps in touch and pointed me in the direction of this site just at the same time that my wife found it.
Saw Stan's name somewhere.

Nice to see some are still around, anybody heard of George Holeyman, Pete Perry, Dick Cracknell, Ian Winter, David Shakespear et al.
Regards
Alan Peden

scottie dog
28th September 2007, 14:45
Agree Liverpool would be good.
Alan if you are in touch again with Eddie Burkhill please pass on my regards.
He and my late father were in the Royal Navy together many years ago, I sailed with eddie a few times on the Apapa Palm.
Mick

storybooks
5th October 2007, 22:56
Hi all
Since I posted the original tentative suggestion on this thread a long while ago, there appears to have been a "reasonable" (mediocre?) follow up for a reunion in (possibly) the favourite (?) location of Liverpool. Does it for me but you will notice the great "enthusiasm", won't you?
I can only see two problems with this: Apart from the total lethargy? Tell me if I'm wrong. Come on!
1. While this site attracts thousands (literally) of hits, actually VERY few contributers are Palm Line seafaring people.
PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG OR MISUNDERSTAND ME NOW.
I LOVE TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE WHO WAS CONNECTED TO, LOVED OR WORKED WITH PALM LINE.
STAN, FOR EXAMPLE, HAS LONG BEEN A CHERISHED AND HONARARY MEMEBER OF THE S**T HOUSE BRUSH LINE (and no, I'm not takin the p**s out of him)
Stan has probably given us us more (and probably knew more) insight into the foreshortened history of Palm Line and his people than the rest of us put together

BUT

ALL I AM SAYING IS. (Why do I have to spell this out?)

It would be nice also to have more contribultions from the hundreds of folk who were either Officers or Men (come on, don't be frightened of admitting to being an Officer! Wasn't THAT bad) who sailed on these amazing and unique unfortunately long-gone ships with some amazing and unique - and sometimes, dubious - people. One way or the other, who cares?

Have we traced Kopec yet? Don't answer that, I'm in enough trouble already.

and

2. We REALLY need someone to organise the reunion.

You there, volunteer!

WELL? Anyone?

Have a nice weekend. J

storybooks
5th October 2007, 23:05
PS "Officers or Men"
Please don't pull me on that!
IT'S AN EXPRESSION!

barrypriddis
7th October 2007, 17:54
Perhaps a way forward would be to suggest a time and location - ie: Adelphi Hotel public bar at 1400 on .....
Maybe that would work and just see who turns up, or am I being too simplistic?

storybooks
7th October 2007, 20:56
Hi Barry
Maybe. Happy with that but....
Not sure.
My only reservation would be that, out of probably 400/500 officers over only a few years in the 70/80s,and "regular" crew in Palm Line, we only have a couple of dozen reading the thread and even fewer contributing turning up.
Can you have a "reunion" with a dozen folk who don't know each other?
But, who cares, lets go for it.
Date??
Cheers. John
PS By the way, I've just slagged you off on the Kopec thread again! Nothing personal. Honest! Just that we are never going to agree. But who cares anyway? Love J

stan mayes
7th October 2007, 21:53
Why not invite Captain Kopec to this proposed reunion ?
He could then meet up with old friends - or should I say,old shipmates?
Just a thought !!!!
Stan.

storybooks
8th October 2007, 00:33
OK. I was moderated on suggesting a database. Had a word with the moderator and it's apparently very difficult to put together a list of folk. Data protection whatsit act. Wan't life so much easier in our day? If anyone can suggest way round. it A personal address book? I don't know but it may help,to getting more than a dozen of us to a reunion.

PS You can't mention Kopec any more apparently - you have to call him something else - the Polish Gentleman!

storybooks
8th October 2007, 01:17
Hi again Stan

Was moderated "again" on your suggestion of inviting a certain Polish gentleman. Apparently it's now OK if I "refer" to him but don't name him. Don't ask. Those are the rules and I'm quite happy....

Sounds like a bloody good idea to me, Liverpool. What do you think?? SO....

Will someone come up with a date, a venue and a time....?

Liverpool still sounds favourite, the Adelphi.... the bar, etc ???

All we need to do now is find the folk... that's the difficult bit.....

We still need someone to volunteer and step out from the crowd.....

storybooks
8th October 2007, 07:46
Why not invite Captain Kopec to this proposed reunion ?
He could then meet up with old friends - or should I say,old shipmates?
Just a thought !!!!
Stan.

Dear Stan
I think this is a splendid idea. Probably the best idea to date for ensuring the success of the reunion.
Cheers. John
PS My original reply was "modded" and removed. :-) That's fine.

storybooks
8th October 2007, 08:43
Last edited by Gulpers : Today at 05:53. Reason: Offensive term removed - again!

Been modded again. Is someone pulling strings here?

storybooks
8th October 2007, 08:58
Hi. I may be getting paranoid about this but can I ask the moderators a question please? Not sur who they are but any one of them/you will do.
Question:
If I send a PM (Private Message) through this site to another member of this site, is it read and moderated by "someone" before it is sent? Thanks. J

non descript
8th October 2007, 09:04
Hi. I may be getting paranoid about this but can I ask the moderators a question please? Not sur who they are but any one of them/you will do.
Question:
If I send a PM (Private Message) through this site to another member of this site, is it read and moderated by "someone" before it is sent? Thanks. J

To answer your questions:

(i) the moderators appear in yellow on the main page (second tab in from the left [forums) where there is the list of members on-line

(ii) a Private Message is just that, it is private between the sender and the recipient, and it is not read by anyone else.

Mark

storybooks
8th October 2007, 09:26
Thanks, Mark.

mattyr
23rd October 2007, 16:12
i was with palm line from 1964 until the end, 3eng.sometimes2eng. im all for a reunion in liverpool next year. hi to any one who remembers me. matty roberts.

ccurtis1
24th October 2007, 18:49
I really do not know where to post this, so here we go. I am copying some Palm Bulle
tiins, and posting to any interested parties. The bulletin 'Summer 1977' features children of some of our colleagues and I was wondering whether they would like a copy. The children featured are:- Karen & Paul Morris, Alison Brace and Trevor & Christopher Roberts. I think there have been postings on the Palm Line threads of all of these people.
Regards, ccurtis1

ccurtis1
25th October 2007, 00:24
Regarding re-union next year, possibly Liverpool, I will if there are no objections try to organise the gathering. We have just had a most succesful mini re-union here in the North East and we are still seeking other ex Palm liners. If you agree,m I will compile a list of Palm Liners and try to arrange a date convenient to all. There you go, I have volunteered. We will need to establish ground rules. Wives and sweethearts to attend???? Widows of colleagues??? Children of colleagues??? I can be contacted through S.N. but if this gets off the ground I will give my E-Mail address. Regards, C.Curtis

Peter (Pat) Baker
25th October 2007, 13:08
Are there any Palminers from the 1955-1959 era out there.
I would love a chat with any of them.
It would also be great to get them interested in the possible reunion.
Peter Baker.

mattyr
26th October 2007, 23:07
hi to anyone who remembers me, matty roberts. am all in favour of a reunion in liverpool

Keith Adams
27th October 2007, 05:18
I was only a Standby Mate with Palm Line from mid January 1961 through to March 2nd 1961 ... "Lobito Palm" in Liverpool and "Akassa Palm" in London where I no doubt ran across Stan but didn't know it at the time. Am pretty sure I went Coastwise, Liverpool to London, with a Rigging Crew but can't remember which vessel as it wasn't entered in my Discharge Book. The "Lobito Palm"s decks were covered overall with logs and her holds full of Peanuts up to top of hatch coamings when she arrived ... had Nigerian Crew. If I qualify I would have serious go at attending, especially if it were Liverpool as I prefer Manchester airport over London, Heathrow.
Cheers to all. Snowy

barrypriddis
27th October 2007, 23:11
Matty
Does "leaving on a jet plane" playing on a juke box in a honky tonk in chinatown in Rotterdam during the late sixties ring a bell??
Barry

mattyr
29th October 2007, 15:43
barry. afraid i have no memory of that particulor episode there was so many of them.matty

cacique
2nd November 2007, 23:49
Matty,
Glad you found us at last, enjoy the site.

mattyr
7th November 2007, 16:23
ccurtis1 re the idea of a reunion in liverpool next year, do you remember joe suggdon and john makin two coppers always on board palm boats in liverpool? anyway i an still in touch with john and i know he meets up with jonny whillham pretty often. anyway it occured to me that john might know of a place to hold the reunion. if you want i could get in touch with him and sound him out. what do you think? by the way two of those kids you named are mine trevor& christoper. both grown up now of course with familes of there own. regared matt roberts

stan mayes
7th November 2007, 16:38
Hello Matty,
Sorry to appear to be interfering but I think you mean John Woollams ex Palm Line Purser of Liverpool,he is a good friend of mine.
He is Treasurer of LRMS -Liverpool Retired Merchant Seafarers and they have a weekly meeting.
I am a member,courtesy of all those great scouse lads I knew and sailed with..
Hoping this helps.
Regards Stan...

ccurtis1
7th November 2007, 22:47
Hello Matt,
Suggestions for next years re-union seems to be centred upon the 'Adelphi'
Your idea seems a pretty good one to me, so please sound them out. Liverpool is the logical location, easy access from the north and the south, Wales and Ireland. Do you have that copy of the Palm bulletin with the kids?
Regards, Colin

mattyr
9th November 2007, 00:18
Hello Stan, yes it was john woollams i was thinking of. i sailed with john many times. Please pass on my best regards next time you see or contact him. regards Matty

mattyr
9th November 2007, 00:26
Dear Stan, yes it was john woollams i was thinking of. I sailed with john many times. Please give him my best regards next time you see or contact him. regards Matty

mattyr
9th November 2007, 00:35
Hello Colin, i will get in touch with john as soon as i can,and will let you know what transpires. have no Palm Line bullitins any more, long since thrown out. regards Matty

Christopher Roberts
9th November 2007, 13:39
Hi Stan, I live on the Wirral and would recomend that the Village at Bromborough would be as good as any place for people staying over.The Adelphi is not what it used to be

stan mayes
9th November 2007, 14:05
Hi Christopher,
Please do not confuse me with the arrangements being made for a reunion as much as I would like to attend.
I was not an employee of Palm Line ,but a rigger on contract to the company for 30 years..
I did sail in CONAKRIAN later DAHOMEY PALM,for a few days run job.
Regards Stan.

Chunlantiger
9th November 2007, 23:17
Hi Stan

New to the site. Hello.

Please do not decry yourself as “only a rigger”.

I sailed with PL as a senior officer for about eight years.

Tommy Parkin , “the Bosun” (RIP) used to put himself down equally on the continental turnarounds. We could not have done our job down the coast without people like yourselves looking after us at home.
Palm Line was an “almost” unique company in respect of trade, ships and personnel. The latter probably being the most unique. ED came a close second maybe but “NiggerNash” (yes, I know but that’s what it was called – even by the folk who crewed it!), Guinea Gulf, Black Star Line” and the many other Scandinavians came nowhere close.
No other company could possibly rank alongside for salary, officers, crew and personnel care. Yes, I know that there were “one or two” but… Not now.
UNFORUNATELY, the company (ultra senior management and the Board, both in the UK and Africa) failed to see the obvious signs of change and listen to the “folk on the ground” or “on the sea” who worked down the coast and we subsequently suddenly fell years behind the other more forward thinking companies in advancing the trade into containers and then had all cargos and trade taken from behind our backs.
“How can you put a 50’ Iroko log into a container?” You don’t. Only a VERY small percentage of WA produce. Bags will go in! But, you need containers………….
As an easy example. In 1970, as you all know, Palm Line published an in-house book, “The Coming Of age 1949 -1970 by Roger Kohn. A brilliant read, I heartily recommend it.
The final death knell of conventional ships on the WC was already being sounded when, with a fleet of beautiful (let’s face it, they were aesthetically beautiful) but obsolete, soon to be scrapped in the Far East ships, the postscript of the book reads, (and I’m sorry, I quote in full)
“All this and more has taken place. Despite everything, they have been twenty one fascinating years, profitable and exciting years, The same will no doubt be true of the next twenty one”
Ten year later, PL had disappeared. As had ED and the rest of the “gang” – no fault of ours, I think?
The writing had been on the wall for a few years.
A great shame, the decline, but not an unpredictable one. It saddened me. Long after I left.

So, “only a rigger” eh, Stan?

You probably spent more time on Palm boats in Tilbury (can’t help being a suvener), met and worked with more senior Palm people and officers (the one who mattered! Meow!) and helped everyone do their job more efficiently and more easily that a lot of the folk who purportedly managed and actually sailed them – not that there were not some brilliant, dedicated and underpaid professions around – BUT I am sure that there will be no-one on this site who will not accept you (if you wish it) at least as an honorary “Palm Liner” and make you more that, more than, welcome to any re-union that may or not occur in’t norf next year.
It is obvious from these threads that a lot of folk have the greatest respect for you personally, your expertise, your dedication and your help.

My compliments to you (all) and I hope (and look forward) to meet up with you at the reunion whenever and whenever that may be in 2008.
Cheers.

Chunlan Tiger

PS If, and only if, there is to be a reunion next year, I have also stayed at the Adelphi recently and……
In fact, I stayed twenty years ago and it’s was c**p then…… Not improved much.
Obscure seaside destination sounds good.
Stay safe and look after yourselves.

PPS All a bit long winded. Sorry.

mattyr
11th November 2007, 11:46
hello stan mayes, i need to get in touch with john woolhams. as you are a good friend of his could you be kind enough to ask him to phone me next time you see him? PM me for my phone number thanking you matty roberts

Edited to remove phone number - definitely dodgy unless you want tons of cold calling - Kris

mattyr
11th November 2007, 11:56
ccurtis1 dear colin ,have tryed to contact my contact in liverpool, but, he died in january and i never knew, so thats that. i am now trying to contact john woolhams. will letyou know that happens. regards matty

stan mayes
12th November 2007, 00:30
Hello Chunlan Tiger,
Thankyou for your comments,they are very much appreciated..
I had a very good working relationship with Palm People and found pleasure in working for them..
I feel privileged that many of them became good friends..
Attending a reunion would be wonderful in meeting old friends but sadly it is not possible...My dear wife Elsa is living in a world of darkness and is an invalid - I am a full time carer for her..
Kind regards,
Stan.

thomas038
12th November 2007, 14:25
Hi Matty
Thomas Rowe one off a few Cornishmen sailing with Palm Line just joined this site willing to head North to meet the crowd again come on lets get it together.

mattyr
13th November 2007, 00:07
tommy rowe, nice to hear from you after all these years.nickie bennet purser/chiefsteward was another cornishman,came from st.ives regards matty

cacique
14th November 2007, 01:00
In earlier postings I read that Alan Peden has, or had, contacts with Bernie Grace and Ronnie Hilton (Liverpool Agents), perhaps they might be able to suggest a venue?

If Alan doesn't pick this message up on this forum I can email him directly.

Not sure if there are other Liverpudlians here, if so I don't want to step on any toes, just trying to help progress the idea.

Kind Regards to All - David Wilson.

mattyr
16th November 2007, 22:06
dear dave, i am in contact with jonnie wooolhams and he said that he would try to find a suitable place. i am just waiting for him to reply. regards matt

cacique
17th November 2007, 00:29
Matt, great ! I exchanged emails with Alan Peden, apparently the widow of an ex mate of mine (remember Jim the Police Segeant at Liverpool ?) has flown out to join a cruise in Jamaica which will be calling into La Guaira (the port for Caracas) and so I am hoping to get down there to see her - must be something like 23 years since I last saw her !

Keep Well !

ccurtis1
5th December 2007, 15:56
Hi Matty,
Any developments re a site for a re-union in the Liverpool area. Seems the 'Adelphi' is a non-starter. Years since I was in Liverpool and it must have changed considerably over the years. Any suggestions from anyone for a location?

Africapalm
23rd June 2013, 16:11

Dave Logan

Hi Dave I remember you, I've just joined the site, so may be too late be in touch. Think we were on Rio or Texas together but not sure as we were both same rank. Mark williamson