Stephenson Clarke Vessels

NORDICA
4th September 2007, 20:57
i can recall seeing a number of S/C ships in Blyth years ago and wondered what happened to them? i vividly remember the ASHINGTON, i remember this one cos i used to live there. and the STORRINGTON. can anyone help?

spartan
4th September 2007, 23:10
Hi NORDICA.There have been a couple of ships with those names.So not sure which ones you mean.The first one was built in 1957 as the Tennyson becoming the Ashington in 1968 till 1978.Renamed Gianna A in 1980,Chrys 1983.Broken up Gadani beach 1984.The second was built in 1979 for Stevie Clarke at Clelands Wallsend.She was sold in 2004 renamed Fjord Pearl.May have recently been sold for demolition
Storrington (1)was in the fleet from 1959 till 1978.renamed Milos II 1978 then Stagan in 1983.She was wrecked 18.7.84.
The second was built in 1982 she is still with them.
Cheers
Spartan

trotterdotpom
5th September 2007, 03:13
I sailed on Storrington in the early '70s. At that time she was was on a triangular run from Immingham with coal to Luebeck, then load some bulk up the Baltic, we carried chrome ore from Riga a couple of times, and some stuff from Klaipeda, to Rotterdam, then back to Immingham. Pretty good ship.

She was built at Burntisland in 1959 and was 5015 DWT, according to Miramar. I seem to remember hearing she was wrecked in the southern Red Sea while on the way to the breakers.

John T.

ruud
5th September 2007, 06:01
Ahoy,
Here some piccies of the requested vessels:

NORDICA
5th September 2007, 16:30
these are the ones. the older ships that is. so S/C are still trading then? i only enquire cos on a recent trip all i saw were the green arklow ships at the alcan quay. did they lose the contract?

trotterdotpom
6th September 2007, 14:19
Stevie Clarkes still going strong, although think now flagged in Isle of Man - they're the oldest remaining British shipping company.

John T.

michael higgins
6th September 2007, 16:50
stevie clarkes still going strong although a lot different fromyears back.they went under the isle of man flag around 1990.storington,durrington,and dallington are all thats left of the fleet from those days,just found out the donnington was sold in july to italian interests.i sailed on a few of stevies and have been searching for pics of ashington and aldrington both these ships i spent time on in the eighties,can any one help?

NORDICA
6th September 2007, 22:28
i will have a look i know i had pics of ASHINGTON.

ruud
7th September 2007, 04:08
Ahoy Michael,
Here piccies of the requested vessels,I think they are scans from a Stevie Clarke's booklet,so not the best shots,but nevertheless better then nothing.

albert.s.i
7th September 2007, 09:58
I often wonder what happened to s.c i used to wander down the quay side at blyth to remanis seeing how quiet the harbour is now from the days i went to sea, and for along time there was always one of stievies ships there at alcans i saw all the ships mentioned until now all arklow ships, i wounder why .albert.s.i

michael higgins
7th September 2007, 14:59
hi ruud,thanks for the pics,happy times on those ships. regards mick.

athinai
7th September 2007, 23:31
Hi, I sailed on Steevies, Brimsdown Storrington Dallington Rogate and many others over the years, when on leave from another Profession., and often wondered why there was a period when ''Blyth'' had so many Eastern Block Submarines in various stages of Dismemberment ? (At least I think it was Blyth) perhaps Albert might remember ? As I often wonder to this day. Best Regards/

Pat McCardle
8th September 2007, 00:43
They were being broken up I believe & the H&SE got involved...........As they do!!

captkenn
8th September 2007, 02:37
stevie clarkes still going strong although a lot different from years back.they went under the isle of man flag around 1990.storington,durrington,and dallington are all thats left of the fleet from those days,just found out the donnington was sold in july to italian interests.i sailed on a few of stevies and have been searching for pics of ashington and aldrington both these ships i spent time on in the eighties,can any one help?

The Northumbrian Water is still running from the Tyne.

albert.s.i
8th September 2007, 10:28
yes athinel, it was blyth that broke up the russian subs they were the last to be broken up at bolcows breaking up yard which is now a large terminal for loading and discharging ships. albert.s.i

Pat McCardle
8th September 2007, 10:35

More so the Wear(Thumb)

athinai
9th September 2007, 12:04
Hi Pat and Albert,

Many Thanks for the Info, The Place looked like a ''James Bond Movie Set,'' when I last visited, & most surprising it wasn't ''Capitalised upon,'' (If that's the right Word) So Many of them for the picking.

Cheers/

backsplice
9th September 2007, 12:14
I joined Stevie Clarks "MAPLEHURST" a brand new tanker at the Blyth builders in 1961 what a great wee ship and a great company Backsplice

Pat McCardle
9th September 2007, 12:23
I had 4 years with Stevies & probably 4 of the better years I have had at sea. I joined Washington for 12 days & ended up doing 27months, 10 months being the longest trip before leave. Some good ships & men & some better runs on the smaller ships around European & Baltic ports.

captkenn
10th September 2007, 01:27

More so the Wear

I took this one earlier this summer of her leaving the Tyne. It was nice to see a ship moving from the river. It was the first time in about five visits.

NORDICA
10th September 2007, 09:48
i was last up there about 2 years ago. saw nowt on the tyne but on the blyth i saw ARKLOW VALE come in and berth at alcans. reminded me of happier days.

Pat McCardle
10th September 2007, 15:58
N.W. now based in Hudson Dock, Sunderland, on a regular fill & dump charter that takes her to Teeside too.

NORDICA
10th September 2007, 17:52
is that not the place where those american ships are? i remember seeing them when i was taking a coach trip to the boro.

Riptide
23rd November 2007, 03:10
I was watching the tele one night this yr. (the news or documentry) & the Ashington was on a beach in India being scrapped along with other vessels.
Kenny.

roverman
30th January 2008, 02:09
I spent 12 years with S/C till 2004 and watched as 22 ships dwindled to next to nothing. They have 5 left - Dallington, Durrington, Storrington, Sea Amethyst and Kielder. Crews incl Masters etc are mostly Polish or east European and Filippino with just a smattering of Brits left. The Blyth Alcan contract was lost to Tyrrells a few years back and they no longer ship coal to the Thames. Tilbury was the last power staion served and they now take Panamax. Oldest active ship owning company in the world let alone Britain - but run by people who are clueless at management level.
Cheers all

rip
10th March 2008, 00:21
Does anyone remember the Fulham 11 from the 1960,s
I am searching for anyone who new an engineer called William Watson Barron
Regards
rip

G0SLP
10th March 2008, 01:08
is that not the place where those american ships are? i remember seeing them when i was taking a coach trip to the boro.

The 'ghost ships' are at Seal Sands on the north side of the Tees, quite close to the nuclear power station

BobClay
19th June 2008, 21:21
I wondered if anybody remembered the 'flatties' ?

I sailed as a sparky on the 'Horsham' in 1970, (they were just of that size that required a sparky from Marconi, although I have to admit, there wasn't a lot for a sparky to do). We sailed mainly from the Northeast to the Thames with coal, but occasionally got a run to Amsterdam to load grain off a big bulk carrier. They looked like a big canal barge, and were most amazing tough little ships.

I did a few good pubs in South Shields in those days .....

Pat McCardle
19th June 2008, 21:45
Northumbria Water is now laid up in Hudson Dock, Sunderland. All the sewage will now be loaded into road tankers in 'Cake' form. I wonder if our glorious Labour party knows about this? As they are always spouting off, along with Nautilus UK, about taking lorries off the roads & going back to sea transport to protect the environment.

peter3807
19th June 2008, 23:27
SCS were regular visitors to Alcan at Blyth until Arklow got the contract some years ago. I did one trip with Stevies as 2nd Mate. My one and only off the pool. Right up my street I was told. The Ashington loading coal at Dunston. I joined her with visions of the NE Coast run and ended up with a grand tour of Europe. Mo I Rana, Ventspils, Bilbao, El Ferrol, Venice, Caen, Lubeck as well as the usual Dutch and German ports. Great fun. I seem to recall that during a brief dry dock at Middle Docks her name was changed to Arlington as the new Ashington had been built, Can anyone confirm this and does anyone know what happened to her.

Peter.

Roger Jordan
21st June 2008, 11:19
Hello Peter
Have tracked down some history on ASHINGTON/ARLINGTON, also under its previous name TENNYSON, and under its later names. Below there are also particulars of the vessel and example voyages extracted from Lloyd’s Shipping Index (various issues 1957-84). The other data are from Lloyd’s Register, Lloyd’s Confidential Index, and Marine News. Hope that this is of interest.

Particulars
Official number 187534
Signal letters GVGX
3894 tons gross, 2176 tons net, 5630 tons deadweight (these remained the same throughout her career)
Length overall 356 ft 7 in, breadth 50 ft 6 in, draught 21 ft 9.75 in, depth 26 ft 6 in
2 holds (length 106 ft, 108 ft)
4 hatches, each 36.5 ft x 28 ft
Fitted with Sulzer 5-cylinder diesel engine, 2000 bhp
Service speed 11 knots

History
20.11.56 launched by Henry Robb Ltd, Leith (ship number 449) for Chine Shipping Co Ltd, London, as TENNYSON
2.57 delivered
1968 sold to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, London, renamed ASHINGTON
1978 renamed ARLINGTON
1980 sold to Gianna A Shipping Co Ltd, Piraeus (manager Apollonia Shipping Co Ltd, Piraeus), renamed GIANNA A (Greek flag)
1983 sold to Grenada Shipping Co Ltd, Valletta, Malta, renamed CHRYS (Maltese flag)
1984 sold to Pakistani breakers, and arrived at Gadani Beach prior to 13.8.84 for scrapping

Example voyages
TENNYSON
23.3.57 sd Hampton Roads for Cagliari, ar 13.4.57
30.9.58 sd Montreal for Little Narrows
7.4.59 sd Middlesbrough for Casablanca
8.3.60 sd Middlesbrough for Casablanca
16.4.61 sd Middlesbrough for Casablanca
23.7.62 sd Genoa for Casablanca, ar 1.8.62
4.5.63 sd Middlesbrough for Spezia, ar Immingham 5.5.63
28.8.63 sd Middlesbrough for Casablanca
8.2.64 sd Middlesbrough for Dakar
17.10.63 sd Comeau Bay for Calais
31.12.64 sd Portishead for Dakar
3.5.65 sd River Tyne for Antwerp, ar 5.5.65
15.10.65 sd Comeau Bay for Rouen
22.2.66 sd Rotterdam for Trieste
5.9.66 sd Dakar for Middlesbrough, ar 16.9.66
15.1.67 sd Dakar for Middlesbrough, ar 27.1.67
5.6.67 sd Dakar for Belfast
ASHINGTON
15.7.68 sd Middlesbrough for Dakar
26.11.68 sd Szczecin for Sluiskil, ar Amsterdam in tow – had been in collision (28-29.11.68) and also aground
5.3.69 sd Immingham for Kiel
11.11.69 sd Lubeck for Szczecin, ar 13.11.69
15.2.70 sd Port Talbot for Immingham
19.8.70 sd Immingham for Kiel
5.11.70 sd Emden for River Tyne, ar 7.11.70
11.3.71 sd Gdynia for Bilbao
7.12.71 sd Immingham for Lubeck
14.5.72 sd London for Amsterdam
5.11.72 sd Immingham for Farge, ar 7.11.72
19.2.73 sd Ventspils for Immingham
3.2.74 sd Gdansk for Bilbao
1.3.75 sd Swansea for Rotterdam
9.10.75 sd Rotterdam for Sagunto, sd Barcelona 28.10.75
23.9.76 sd River Tyne for Szczecin, ar 26.9.76
15.10.77 sd Bremen for Algiers, pd Gibraltar 21.10.77
ASHINGTON
(Sorry: nothing on my files)
GIANNA A
12.8.81 sd Chioggia for Tripoli
21.1.82 sd Taranto for Volos
12.12.82 pd Istanbul on voyage from Constantza to Algiers
14.6.83 sd Manfredonia for Piraeus, ar 16.6.83, laid up
CHRYS (never traded commercially under this name)
6.6.84 sd Piraeus for Gadani Beach to be broken up, and arrived Karachi prior to 13.8.84

Regards
Roger

Peter Dryden
22nd June 2008, 10:42
Did anyone see the programme, "The Way We Were" on ITV a couple of weeks ago, which showed film footage of a reporters journey aboard the Hudson Light from Blyth to London.
There were great shots of Blyth in the 60's one good one of the tug Francis-Batey swinging her and some of the Golden Fleece pub in her Hay-Day which all you old Stevie-Clarks guys will no doubt have sampled her hospitality while loading at Bates staithes.

Peter.

Pat McCardle
22nd June 2008, 11:29
The Golden Fleece pub in her Hay-Day which all you old Stevie-Clarks guys will no doubt have sampled her hospitality while loading at Bates staithes.

Peter.[/QUOTE]

Fine hospitality it was too(Thumb)

peter3807
22nd June 2008, 18:35
Hello Roger,

Thanks for the info on the Ashington, great research. The voyages show what hard working little ships they were.The Ashington/Arlington was showing her age when I was on her I'm surprised she carried on for so long. Ex Stevies might like to know that the 'Fleece' was demolished earlier this year. I often call down that way to see whats on the Battleship Wharf. Blyth Harbour Commision have a good website that shows whats due and whats in. There is talk at the moment of the Blyth/Cambois ferry being resurrected as part of the N1 cycle route. Ex coastal lads will remeber the old ferry.

Regards Peter.

G4UMW
1st July 2008, 14:24
I remember the 'Fleece'! I was R/O on the Dallington and the Donnington and spent a considerable time running between Immingham/Blythe and the Thames. Took one of them (I'll have to check my discharge book) deep sea from Barry to Rio de Janeiro, Takoradi and back to South Shields. Not a bad trip for a "coaster"!

Peter Dryden
1st July 2008, 23:31
Hi G4UMW,

I stand to be corrected but I think that the Dallington and Donnington would be the biggest of SC ships that came into Blyth in the early '80s, I know that there was not much room to spare when they were swung up West and onto the Bates Berth I think they would be pretty new then as they were always nice and clean.
There was even less room with the Alcan ships, Cape Race, Baron Belhaven and Polytrader, it was always a 4 tug job with them.

Interesting deep sea run you mentioned there, it is exactly the same as my late father used to make when he was sailing for Stricks during the war years, sometimes he did the other convoys going the other way, Barry or Liverpool, Newfoundland, Iceland then Murmansk.

Peter.

albert.s.i
2nd July 2008, 09:50
i still wander down the quay side at blyth down by where the dun cow was where i often sailed from as a young man when ships were lying three abrest all the waiting berths full the middle jetty at import dock it brings tears to your eyes its so quiet and empty but it brings back memories that i will always cherrish albert.s.i

G4UMW
2nd July 2008, 10:18
Hi Peter,

Having dug out my DB and checked dates, I was on the Donnington 15-3-76 until 14-8-76 - this included the trip to Rio previously mentioned and several runs Rouen to Civitaveccia with grain, returning via Melilla (Spanish Morocco) to load iron ore for Dagenham Dock. We also did several runs to Lubeck and one each to Norway and that delightful spot, Murmansk. My next ship was the Dallington, from 25-11-76 until 23-3-77. That time was mostly spent "CEGB Trading" - Immingham or Blyth to the Thames and Medway power stations (although we did end up in the Med for a while).

Rob

wa002f0328
2nd July 2008, 11:39
anyone remember the parrot in the golden fleece, belonged to Marion the manageress, way back in the golden 60,s
Bill

Ian Charlton
2nd July 2008, 12:16
Have just put up a picture of the Durrington which I think was taken at Blyth in the 80's. Sorry i'm still new here so i'm not sure how to insert a link to it.

blocker
14th July 2008, 21:42
hello guys

I was bosun on the Birling for about four years di a couple of trips on the Durrington and the harting and Steyning.

Jeff

tapdnalop
15th July 2008, 18:18
Hi, my names Paddy Poland, joined Stevie's in 1983 till 1988 when they where flaggin out not for me so i moved on had some great times, know Pat Mcardle not goin to mention the tights mate, Http://www.photoship.co.uk/ you can get lots of pics from this sight, does anyone remember Paul White also a scouser like myself, worked is way up from Ab to chief off of the Qe2.

hindar
18th July 2008, 04:59
I can remember both the Ashington and Storrington when I was at SC in 74-5. The Captain I can most remember on them both was George Cyril Joyce, and at Tyne Dunston Staithes it was fairly common for an ordinary household ladder to be put out instead of a gangway- apparently due to the rise and fall of tides and awkward staithes-although it didn't make it any easier getting on and off with a briefcase of shipping documents!
The fleet at that time as best as I can remember (cos I used to duplicate the Position Lists which were sent out to all SC offices daily) was- Ashington, Beeding,Birling,Climping,Dallington,Donnington,Fer ring,Fletching,Jevington,
Keynes,Lancing,Malling,Portslade,Pulborough,Rogate ,Steyning, Storrington, Wadhurst,Washington, Wilmington and the newly arrived Northumbrian Water, plus all the CEGB vessels, quite a few of which had been sold off, so my memory is more shaky on these, but I recall- Battersea, Charles H Merz, Dame Caroline Haslett, Sir Johnstone Wright, Sir William Walker.
Apologies if I have missed any, but it is over 30 years since I worked at SC Newcastle, and for the first time since I worked there I have just looked at the SC website, and feel like weeping when I see how much the fleet has shrunk since then- at that time I just felt like weeping because of the poor wages for lower status office staff (which is why I left).

hindar
18th July 2008, 06:07
I knew I'd missed one or two from my list-there was also the James Rowan from the CEGB fleet, and the Tarring from the SC fleet. Apologies for that,
but after 30 years it is amazing what you can still remember from then, if you concentrate hard enough.
I am also starting to remember some of the shore based staff at the Newcastle Collingwood Street office at that time-
The M.D.- Mr H W Turner,
Senior Admin Ms. Lillian Ward and Ms. Doreen Wright,
Senior Accountant Mr. Crozier,
Insurance Mr.Ramshaw,
Agency Ken Gilholm and Alan Morton,
Ship Management Captain Rochester,
Superintendents Bob Bunn and others,
Accounts office Mr. Lear,
Chartering (cargo) Mr. Ross and Allan Waters.
Chartering (vessels) Mr Geoff Willey and his boss.
and many others whose names I cannot remember in Personnel, Stores and Victualling, Typists, Computing departments, plus the assistants in these departments,and lowly clerks like me, plus the tealady and commissionaire receptionist.
The office moved to Eldon Square shortly after I had left.

albert.s.i
18th July 2008, 10:34
i quite enjoyed this post about stevie clarks ships which reminded me of the ones i sailed with the 1st was the ss borde 1956 the hayling 1957, the henfield 1960 i think he was agent for the CC SHIPS coastwise colliers i sailed ss colwyn ss coldstream 1948 ah the memories cheers albert.s.i

hindar
18th July 2008, 15:04
Further to earlier posts (and quickly before I go to work)- there was also the tanker Ashurst (as well as Wadhurst mentioned earlier) and the Midhurst as well- but I cannot remember if that was a tanker or bulk carrier- perhaps someone can remember? Also, SC managed the fly ash hopper barges for the CEGB- mentioned elsewhere on here- Bessie Surtees,David Marley and Sir Fon
-Apologies once again if I have still missed any.

Harvey Williams
18th July 2008, 15:32
I did serve on one of Stephenson / Clarkes coastal tankers for 4 month back in 1968 called the Vacuum Pioneer, She was chartered out to Mobil Oil at that particular time.

kevhogg
18th July 2008, 16:02
Hi all-sailed on the Dallington,Donnington and the SC owned Lubchem.All good crowds and ships.Usual coaster conditions though-loads of hard work and little pay but good times.
Kev

Pat McCardle
23rd July 2008, 20:19
Hi, my names Paddy Poland, joined Stevie's in 1983 till 1988 when they where flaggin out not for me so i moved on had some great times, know Pat Mcardle not goin to mention the tights mate, Http://www.photoship.co.uk/ you can get lots of pics from this sight, does anyone remember Paul White also a scouser like myself, worked is way up from Ab to chief off of the Qe2.

At least I had the black polka dot ones on when I fell down the hold, unlike you & your red ones. What you up to these days? Paul is/was Mate on QM2, good lad but ugly(Thumb) Only kidding Paul (Spock)(Jester)

tapdnalop
24th July 2008, 12:06
Hi Pat i've been working on the mersey ferries for the last 11 years, see mersey ferries thread. Paul has left Cunard last heard of on Super Yachts. Last time i heard of you was Bullseye, take care, Paddy

finetune
10th August 2008, 17:43
I spent 16 years as an engineer with stevies,started with the maplehurst,midhurst,ashurst,portslade,pulborough,d onnington,dallington,ashington,aldrington,gem and finally emerald,left in 1989 due to motorbike crash.It was a good company,I enjoyed it. Regards to all
George

Bob Nowak
11th August 2008, 05:21
I sailed on the Wadhurst, end of 1973, my 1st voyage as Chief Cook had just got my Chief Cook's ticket at the Cooks School Leman Street.

ROBERT GIBSON
1st December 2008, 22:19
Hi following a sea going career I was employed as a ship repair manager with Mid Tyne Shiprepair Company (then part of the Anglo Swedish Group). We did running repairs at Dunston, Jarrow, etc Normally grab damage and normally out of hours, the sup't I remember was Alex Costello

Regards
Bob

Pat McCardle
1st December 2008, 22:54
Seen Dallington last month & spoke over the VHF I was surprised to hear that everyone onboard are Polish. So much for the oldest British Shipping Co. but this is happening in every 'British' Co.(Cloud)

Rentaship
4th December 2008, 18:01
Some interesting names and memories jogged by the list of office staff.

I joined the Stephenson Clarke office staff in 1962 and spent 5 years with them. I joined the Blyth office under the management of Ronnie Campbell where I started as a general agency assistant. Spent a considerable time on the river looking after the owned, managed and agency vessels. Got to know many of the masters.

After a couple of years I was moved to the agency department in Newcastle office who were then under the management of Arthur Coates and Ken Cowey. Also filled in from time to time in the shipmanagement department. I remember their records were in a mess at that time. Made some trips on the Ballyrory during my time with the company. During my time in Newcastle the company was becoming involved in the North Sea oil industry and were running Total's operations out of Jackson Dock, West Hartlepool. I moved to Aberdeen for three months whilst Total drilled a well in the Moray Firth returning to Newcastle before deciding to seek opportunities elsewhere. Eventually returned to Aberdeen where I was a major shareholder in a shipbroking company. Now semi retired.

Albert Bishop
4th December 2008, 20:50
Was the Ashington not the ship fitted with those experimental sails?
Did my last ten month at sea on SCs Findon in 63. Good little number and it was a great novelty to get home every week after years deep sea.
And does anybody remember SCs Cleveland? Once did a six month round the world trip on her. but no one else seems to remember her.
Cheers from a snowy North East. Albi

Roebuck
5th December 2008, 10:24
i was on the shoreham in the early 70's i believe she was wrecked somwhere off the welsh coast but not sure.If anyone has definate info it would be appreciated and or photos of the old girl

K urgess
5th December 2008, 12:28
Welcome aboard, Roebuck.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.
The 1957 Shoreham was broken up at Strood in 1979
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/224019
The 1914 Shoreham was wrecked off Trevose Head
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/165326
Don't know if these are the right ones. (?HUH)

ROBERT GIBSON
5th December 2008, 15:30
Did my last ten month at sea on SCs Findon in 63. Good little number and it was a great novelty to get home every week after years deep sea.
And does anybody remember SCs Cleveland? Once did a six month round the world trip on her. but no one else seems to remember her.

They were Walker Wind Sails and comprised a venetian blind type structural frame mounted near the funnel. The structure could be turned to the wind and the slats adjusted as required. My company were involved changing one of the bearings at Blyth. I believe the sail averaged an extra half knot when correctly deployed. The sail was not considered viable. It may be worth having another look in the new "green world", its not hard to see tankers and bulkers with 5 or 6 hydraulically operated sail banks on deck

Regards

Bob

monty
7th December 2008, 19:53
Albert the Cleveland was built 1958 by Gray and sold 1964 Name changed to Venice. Broken up 1980's Info from Black Diamond Fleets by Norman L Middlemiss

Les Gibson
8th December 2008, 12:28
Monty and Albert,
They also had Gilsland and Blanchland both deep sea tramps, also built Grays. I was 'lecky on the Blanchland from November '64 until May '69. She had Clarke Chapman winches which were a nightmare, but great crowd. Happy days long gone!
Regards. Les

quietman
8th December 2008, 12:59

More so the Wear

I took this one earlier this summer of her leaving the Tyne. It was nice to see a ship moving from the river. It was the first time in about five visits.

I visit the Tyne regularly and can assure you its still a working river with plenty of traffic. Although it will never return to its heyday due to no coal and the increase in containerisation.
Regards Derrick(Thumb)

Albert Bishop
9th December 2008, 10:58
Thanks for the feedback all. The Ashington was a bit after my time but I often saw her off the Tyne, I had heard that the sail system was no great success. Remember the others quite well, and when I joined the Findon I expected the odd run across to the lakes or continent, but I think by then she was settled on the coal run. I agree with Quietman, the Tyne is now pretty busy, but most of the traffic seems to be car transporters.
Cheers, Albi.

finetune
14th December 2008, 19:33
I spent the best part of five years on the "Ashington",as 3rd/2nd engineer.
Probaly the best ship i was ever on,i stood by it during building.I left before the sails arrived.Joe Johnston "r.i.p" was the old man,Bill Dowie & Roland Sistersen were mostly the chief engineers,Willy Adamson 3rd engineer ,Pat Cairns the chief steward and Alec Costello was our engineering super.

Regards,George

quietman
15th December 2008, 11:29
Probaly the best ship i was ever on,i stood by it during building.I left before the sails arrived.Joe Johnston "r.i.p" was the old man,Bill Dowie & Roland Sistersen were mostly the chief engineers,Willy Adamson 3rd engineer ,Pat Cairns the chief steward and Alec Costello was our engineering super.

Regards,George

Our paths have probably crossed then. I joined her in Sunderland late july 79. Left her in Blyth after falling and breaking a wrist. Can't remember any names although the cheif steward I was on with lived in Cleadon. One of the stewards was called Vic AkA Elvis (picture of him in my gallery) he was from South Shields. The oldman at the time had a passing resrmblance to Elton John.
Regards Derrick(Thumb)

Pat McCardle
15th December 2008, 20:27
Billy Adamson still going good out in Dubai. Anyone remember Capt. Gordon Paine? (Thumb)

finetune
16th December 2008, 21:10
Derrick ,the oldman you had in mind was probaly Dickie Atkinson,came from Dublin but lived in the north east.

Pat,im glad Billy is still going strong,we sailed together on the Ashington for years.
I sailed on a few ships with Gordon Paine,the Donnington and of course the Ashington spring to mind. Like Billy Adamson and Dickie Atkinson, i was always glad to see Gordon joining. Regards George

madbob
3rd January 2009, 03:32
Happy New Year to all at SN: Have followed the Collier/SC dialogue for a while which brought back a lot of memories. Can anyone help with some pics of some of my old vessels in particular the "Emsworth" (65), the 'Thomas Hardie" (64) "Mitcham" (65) "Charles Parsons" (64) ? These are the missing links, other vessels are covered pretty well.
Many thanks.

Corrimeala
3rd January 2009, 05:55
I wondered if anybody remembered the 'flatties' ?

I sailed as a sparky on the 'Horsham' in 1970, (they were just of that size that required a sparky from Marconi, although I have to admit, there wasn't a lot for a sparky to do). We sailed mainly from the Northeast to the Thames with coal, but occasionally got a run to Amsterdam to load grain off a big bulk carrier. They looked like a big canal barge, and were most amazing tough little ships.

I did a few good pubs in South Shields in those days .....

My father was a tug skipper for a company called River Lighterage on the Thames. River Lighterage was I believe owned by Stevie Clarke.

I remember the flat irons well(that's what we Lightermen called flatties).

Actually one of them ran down the barges we were towing back in 1960.

I also remember sitting in my dad's wheelbox as a kid and working up through the bridges. The pilots on the flat irons would come out on to the bridge wings as they came down from Fulham etc and let him know how many more were still to come.

ruud
3rd January 2009, 11:03
Happy New Year to all at SN: Have followed the Collier/SC dialogue for a while which brought back a lot of memories. Can anyone help with some pics of some of my old vessels in particular the "Emsworth" (65), the 'Thomas Hardie" (64) "Mitcham" (65) "Charles Parsons" (64) ? These are the missing links, other vessels are covered pretty well.
Many thanks.
Ahoy Bob,
I'm not sure if these are the requested pica,but just give it a try:

madbob
4th January 2009, 08:59
RUUD - many thanks for your response, just the job ! Very much appreciated.
Cheers

wandering_sailor
13th February 2009, 22:35
S/C Personnel got in touch with me a couple of years ago through Friends Reunited - they'd found some publicity photos from my time as 2nd Mate on Donnington and Washington in '79/80. Great to have them although I hardly recognised myself.

Was a real shock joining my first coaster (all 12000 tonnes dwt) and doing 5 on/5 off bridge watchkeeping after being deep-sea (especially when the 5 off was usually interrupted by mooring, anchoring, or shifting ship somewhere). Mostly did the coal trade from Blyth, Jarrow, and Sunderland, down to Thames or Medway, but did have a couple of trips across to Rouen, Caen and Rotterdam. I remember Cape Race being in Blyth at same time as I was there on one of S/C's ships - I'd served my cadetship with SSM and had done one trip on her to Blyth with alumina from Paranam and Port Esquivel.

Sailed with some decent folk at S/C - Captain Gordon Payne being one of many.

Pat McCardle
15th February 2009, 03:39
Derrick ,the oldman you had in mind was probaly Dickie Atkinson,came from Dublin but lived in the north east.

Pat,im glad Billy is still going strong,we sailed together on the Ashington for years.
I sailed on a few ships with Gordon Paine,the Donnington and of course the Ashington spring to mind. Like Billy Adamson and Dickie Atkinson, i was always glad to see Gordon joining. Regards George

Billy is doing very well, now out in Baku as engineering superintendent, he must be good to work for. I'll see him in a couple of weeks when I get home on leave & I'll send him your regards. Aye, Gordon was a true gent hey? He had a good sense when a woman was on board too, never failed to amuse me when he would appear in my cabin introducing himself to my girlfriend & getting me to check the moorings & gangway while he had a bevvy & entertained my GF with some sea yarn(Jester) Great bloke(Thumb)

steve wagner
25th March 2009, 00:36
hello anyone know anything about a ship called Sir Archibald Page, or any of the crew back in the 1960's. My dad served as 1st mate on this ship. Pete Wagner, of Hornsea East Yorkshire. Anything... Steve Wagner

Rentaship
27th March 2009, 19:26
I remember the Sir Archibald Page and Peter Wagner. Came from Hornsea or somewhere in that area if I remember correctly. I worked in the Stephenson Clarke office in Blyth. They were the managers and the agents of the vessel. Could not say that I knew him well but he was often in the office when the vessel was in Blyth. Captain Johnstone in mentioned in these pages.

Rentaship
27th March 2009, 19:34
Look under the headings CEGB vessels and Captains of Colliers as there are many names mentioned.

alison-richardson
19th September 2009, 00:23
Hello-My dad sailed on Stevenson & Clarkes vessels for a long time and Im looking for old shipmates of his. His name is Fred Richardson and he's now in his 70's-if you have any stories relating to my father (that are ok for a daughter to hear) I be very grateful as Im trying to gather information and photographs to suprise him. Thanks

finetune
24th September 2009, 21:28
Alison,
mentioning the name of some ships and your'e dad's job may jog a few memories.
Regards
George

andylangton
26th September 2009, 20:00
My Father sailed with Stevies for about 12 yrs. He was a bosun on Wilmington, Washington, Dallington, Donnington, Storrington Durrington and a few of the smaller ones.Left them early 90's when Polish crews took over.

alison-richardson
27th September 2009, 22:38
Hello.
Thank you George, here are some of the names I can remember but there must be dozens more as my dad was at sea for 40 years so Ill ask my mum for other names and post them asap.
Wadhirst Maplehurst Furnhirst Mobil lubchem North Eastern Northumbrian Water

Thanks

ted nutt
28th September 2009, 10:16
Morning Andy,sailed with Billy several times on various vessels,mainly the 4000 tonners.Iwas 2nd mate,as you say all the regulars went when they brought in Polish crews.Istill hear from a few people and I believe its all Phillipino Ukraine,latvian with a few British officers,the polish lads have manly gone due to the wages and fluctuating pound(they got paid in dollars)Pass on my regards to your dad.Ted Nutt

andylangton
28th September 2009, 18:23
Hi Ted
Will pass on your regards to my dad. After Stevies he went back on RFA's for a few years then went with Everards. H e retired a couple of years ago and now lives in Corfu.

Andy

ted nutt
29th September 2009, 10:20
Andy,took early retirement myself,at least Billy doesnt have far to go too see a few ships.I think we may have met,did you ever come down to the ships he was on.Ted

andylangton
29th September 2009, 18:41
Hi Ted
Yeah i was on most of them, spent most of my school holidays going away with him. Think he was on Ashington in 89 when i went to see him in Ayr.

blocker
29th September 2009, 21:33
Hi Ted How are you doing? I left Stevies from the Birling back in 96 to sail on the Sally Star. I still keep in touch with Telford Evans just a card at Christmas.

Jeff Quinn (Bosun)

timo
30th September 2009, 13:17
Hi Ted How are you doing? I left Stevies from the Birling back in 96 to sail on the Sally Star. I still keep in touch with Telford Evans just a card at Christmas.

Jeff Quinn (Bosun)

Sally Star?, was your watchmate a grey haired guy from Lowestoft?

ted nutt
30th September 2009, 16:15
Hi Jeff,did not realize it was 96.Took early retirement myself still see Kevin,hes master on the Red Baroness running around the Clyde and Irish Sea.Have not heard from Telford since his medical retirement,Kevin tries to get in touch but to no avail.Hows the better half,hopefilly keeping better.Will be phoning K soon,will let him know youre about.Ted

blocker
5th October 2009, 21:31
Sally Star?, was your watchmate a grey haired guy from Lowestoft?

Yes that would be Dave - still lives in Lowestoft sailing on a deep sea tug but havn't heard from him for a while

blocker
5th October 2009, 21:34
Ted

Nice to hear from you again and thanks for passing on my regards to Kevin.

I haven'yt been to see sine 1997 after a spell with Isle of Man ferries but couldn't get a permanent job there. Now I work at the baked bean factory for Heinz.

ted nutt
6th October 2009, 00:44
Hi Jeff, talked to K Sunday He hopes to come home on leave next weekend or just after,said to him about getting Xmas card from Tel you must be the only one,noboby else gets one.More info if u want send me a PM good to hear from you again.Ted

IBlenkinsopp
8th October 2009, 09:12
Hi George,

I remember the Ashington and yourself, I used to relieve Frank as 2/mate.
I was sorry to hear about Joe, quite a few of Old Men have passed away, Dickie Atkinson, Bobby Thompson and so on.
Hope yo are well

Ian Blenkinsopp

finetune
12th October 2009, 20:32
Hi Ian
how you doing?,good to hear from you.I left Stevies and the sea in 1988 after motor bike crash when home on leave from the "Emerald".

George

hawkey01
13th October 2009, 11:38
Les,
it amazes me that you and I seem to be the only members who were on or remember the deep sea tramps. The Capt when I was on Blanchland was Jimmy Carter - reputably one of the youngest Capts in Stevies! Still have amazing memories of my time on here - GHQT was here callsign. I know we have spoken before about the ship. You must have joined as I paid off.

Neville - Hawkey01

finetune
13th October 2009, 20:36
Les,
it amazes me that you and I seem to be the only members who were on or remember the deep sea tramps. The Capt when I was on Blanchland was Jimmy Carter - reputably one of the youngest Capts in Stevies! Still have amazing memories of my time on here - GHQT was here callsign. I know we have spoken before about the ship. You must have joined as I paid off.

Neville - Hawkey01

When i sailed on the old "Storrington",the chief engineer Peter Woods,had been c/e on one of the tramps,also Brian Nicolson,whomb i sailed with on lots of Stevies ships, had been away on one as engineering cadet,i think he was third when he came home several years later.
Regards
George

hawkey01
15th October 2009, 16:40
George,

I am sure that Brian Nicolson was Engr Apr on Blanchaland when I was on her. Jogged the grey cells with that name.
Hawkey01

hawkey01
15th October 2009, 16:45
George,

another name from the past 2nd Eng Bill Rowstron, into car racing if my memory serves me correctly.

Hawkey01

Les Gibson
16th October 2009, 00:07
Hi Guys,
Bill Rowstron was 3rd on the Blanchland when I was on her. O.M. was Ian Borthwick. Chief Eng.was Tom Lyons. 2nd Eng. Bev Gardner. 4th Tony Hodgson. Ch. Steward was Johm Lee from Cleadon (mentioned in an earlier thread) Mate was called Richard Starkey? (spelling) amongst other things! 2nd mate was also from Cleadon but can't remember his name. Did anyone spot my deliberate mistake in an earlier thread? I was lecky from 1964 to 1965 not 1969!
Regards,
Les

hawkey01
16th October 2009, 13:28
Les,
Oh! another name - I sailed with Capt Borthwick as well - he was skipper when I took her coastal. I did two trips on her coastal and deepsea.

Hawkey01

Bill Rowstron
3rd November 2009, 00:37
Hi Guys,
I have just found this forum and looking through some of the earlier posts found mention of myself. I joined the Gilsland in 1962 as Junior Engineer and alternated between Gilsland and Blanchland rising to 2/E. I stood by the Pulborough while she was building and then sailed on her as 2/E paying off just before the top neck of a cylinder liner sheared off allowing the liner to drop into the crankcase with predictably dire results. Glad it didn't happen on my watch.

I remeber many of the guys I sailed with and totally agree with Les Gibson that the Clarke Chapman winches on the Blanchland were a total pain in the a**e.

hawkey01
3rd November 2009, 16:01
Bill,

Welcome to SN. I was RO - Neville Edwards - who sailed with you on the Blanchland when you were 2nd/Eng. If you have a look in my gallery you will find a mug shot of me to remind you of my then youthful face. Also some other photos of the boys. I will send you a private msg in due course.

Neville - Hawkey01

Bill Rowstron
4th November 2009, 03:00
Hi Hawkeye 01,
Yes I remember you and also Les Gibson. I seem to remember the Blanchland going through Leccies as though they were going out of fashion. I recall a grain run from the US to India where all the engineers spent more time working on deck when we were discharging than they did in the engine room. At one point when I was 2/E the C/E took me off watches and put me on daywork so that I could work on the wiches to try and keep them going.

Warmest regards

Bill

Geoff of Hull
4th November 2009, 07:23
Remember going aboard the" Blanchland" in Vancouver in 65 I think,an old school mate of mine (Trinity House Hull) Ray Ledger from Goole was deck cadet and have now lost touch with him.
I eventually ended up as bosun of the "Mallin" and the last voyages of the "Midhurst", also I did a trip in 1969 ? on the old Ashington (tennyson)..
Some of you older guys may remember me from the coal strike days when I sat on the "Oswestry Grange" in Sunderland which was inside of the "Cymberline" stopping her from working,The pub on the docks The Welcome used to send food to me and toilet rolls as they were denied me for my picketing onboard ...Then they put pad locks on the toilet doors so no toilet then!!!.
For the 4 years I was bosun on the"Mallin" after the cranes where removed ,we had a regular mixed crowd and a mate of mine was the ex bosun of the "Ferring" his name was Arthur Friend ..Big Roddy was bosun of the" Gem" at the time.
Any one remember Capt Pratt well known for his antics..

Pat McCardle
4th November 2009, 09:10
Roddy Nicholson was on the 'Gem' from new build? I sailed with Capt Pratt when I was on 'Ferring' as a 23 year old Bosun releiving regular Bosun Fred Convey. Those smaller bulkers were hard worked but good payers.

ted nutt
4th November 2009, 10:39
Roddy spent many years on the Steyning until the change to Polish seamen,heard he then sailed with Arklow.

joebuckham
4th November 2009, 21:50
Remember going aboard the" Blanchland" in Vancouver in 65 I think,an old school mate of mine (Trinity House Hull) Ray Ledger from Goole was deck cadet and have now lost touch with him.
I eventually ended up as bosun of the "Mallin" and the last voyages of the "Midhurst", also I did a trip in 1969 ? on the old Ashington (tennyson)..
Some of you older guys may remember me from the coal strike days when I sat on the "Oswestry Grange" in Sunderland which was inside of the "Cymberline" stopping her from working,The pub on the docks The Welcome used to send food to me and toilet rolls as they were denied me for my picketing onboard ...Then they put pad locks on the toilet doors so no toilet then!!!.
For the 4 years I was bosun on the"Mallin" after the cranes where removed ,we had a regular mixed crowd and a mate of mine was the ex bosun of the "Ferring" his name was Arthur Friend ..Big Roddy was bosun of the" Gem" at the time.
Any one remember Capt Pratt well known for his antics..

arthur was the bosun on the ferring my first trip back in stevies, great bosun to sail with as a fairly new mate in a different company. when he went on leave i think it was his mate jimmy wood who took over.
joe johnson was skipper, fred smith second mate. jock mackensie (dad) cnief and malcolm burke second
a very happy ship

Geoff of Hull
5th November 2009, 06:54
As you say Pat they where good payers,and always seemed happy,some of the ports saw to that!
As for Roddy I think it must be another thought big Roddy was from Stornaway and it was mac something?..He did the neuclear waste dumps remember that, Kiwi knox was another name along with Hughie Kerr who married a lass from Magheramorne club ..Drunken Duncan mate from Ayr some real characters.
I remember an incident on the Malling,we had just come out of drydock and the first port was Yarmouth/Gorleston we broke adrift in the river with the strong current there we went down river a bit and landed attached to a floating pub with her prop guards through the AB's toilet good job no one was sat on trap 1 !!..Another Character anyone know of him,Bob ? he had been captain of Cardiff university in University challenge on tv his father was a master brewer with a well known brewery,always went ashore in a gabardine mack,brolly, and a beret on his head.he spoke fluent Gallic !!So often put the Irish to shame when having the Michael taken out of him in Ireland he would fire a broadside in Gallic..Good days ..

Pat McCardle
5th November 2009, 09:40
I was thinking of Roddy from Barra, he was on there for a good stint, he also done the nuclear dumping off Lands End. I joined as relief Bosun for a month & I got Roddy to take the job as he knew where everything was & how everything worked & everyone, wherever we went knew Roddy. Can you remember 'The Shah' John? from Skye? He was a good seaman & whose tap was stopped on more than one occaision. Ha!! Happy days on those ships, apart from falling down the hold on 'Ferring' just before Christmas '83.

alison-richardson
6th November 2009, 21:24
Hello-other ships my dad served on were I think the Dallington, Storrington Durrington-he was a boatswain on many of the later ships he was on -although he also said he would happily be the ships cat if he got paid more! He also was on the Sally Sky an RFA ship which I think was his last ship. Does this jog anyones memory?
Thanks
Alison

JOHN.T
6th December 2009, 14:09
Hello-other ships my dad served on were I think the Dallington, Storrington Durrington-he was a boatswain on many of the later ships he was on -although he also said he would happily be the ships cat if he got paid more! He also was on the Sally Sky an RFA ship which I think was his last ship. Does this jog anyones memory?
Thanks
Alison

Hello Alison don't remember your dads name, but are the same age and sailed as 2nd Mate on ss Fireglow - mv Murdoch - Pompey Light - Sylvia Beale - Cliff Quay between 1956- 59 However don't feel like going back as a ships cat! Best to Dad

Bluekenny2
6th December 2009, 17:59
As you say Pat they where good payers,and always seemed happy,some of the ports saw to that!
As for Roddy I think it must be another thought big Roddy was from Stornaway and it was mac something?..He did the neuclear waste dumps remember that, Kiwi knox was another name along with Hughie Kerr who married a lass from Magheramorne club ..Drunken Duncan mate from Ayr some real characters.
I remember an incident on the Malling,we had just come out of drydock and the first port was Yarmouth/Gorleston we broke adrift in the river with the strong current there we went down river a bit and landed attached to a floating pub with her prop guards through the AB's toilet good job no one was sat on trap 1 !!..Another Character anyone know of him,Bob ? he had been captain of Cardiff university in University challenge on tv his father was a master brewer with a well known brewery,always went ashore in a gabardine mack,brolly, and a beret on his head.he spoke fluent Gallic !!So often put the Irish to shame when having the Michael taken out of him in Ireland he would fire a broadside in Gallic..Good days ..

Bob is 2nd mate with Fishers in Barrow...

IBlenkinsopp
7th January 2010, 13:42
Hi Guys,
Can anyone help me out, Jevington was Macauly, Ashington was
Tennyson, did Stevies have any other ex Anglo-Danube ships, can any-one direct me to any info about A-D?
Thanks
Ian Bl.

zelo1954
7th January 2010, 21:22
Hi Guys,
Can anyone help me out, Jevington was Macauly, Ashington was
Tennyson, did Stevies have any other ex Anglo-Danube ships, can any-one direct me to any info about A-D?
Thanks
Ian Bl.

The other two went to France Fenwick. Thackeray -> SHERWOOD. Longfellow -> BUSHWOOD.

Ashington was later renamed Arlington

IBlenkinsopp
10th January 2010, 20:31
The other two went to France Fenwick. Thackeray -> SHERWOOD. Longfellow -> BUSHWOOD.

Ashington was later renamed Arlington

Thank-you very much for the info. I was 2/m on the Jevington toward the end of her time with Stevies, she was survey several time by prospective buyers. All her deck gear had been removed and the winches canibalised to provide enough to open and close the hatches. As I recall Sunderland ship builders weren't keen on repairing any more grab damage to the collision bulkhead due to its state.
We had a good run between Sunderland and Hamburg for about six weeks.
Mate was Chris Goddard where is he now? and the bosun William Baggot.
OM Dave Carlton.
I remember seeing the John Snell in South Dock loading scrap for Spain I think it was cut up on arrival

There were quite a few ship enthusiasts used to come down to the Jevington to photgraph her and ask to look around, I suppose it beats train spotting.

Ian Bl.

michael higgins
10th January 2010, 22:26
hello ian, dont know if you remember me but i sailed with you a couple of times with stevies.i was A/B you were 2nd mate around 1982/1986 .i sailed on a few but think it was ashington/aldrington.i sailed quite a few times with chris goddard as mate then master he was a real good bloke.im sure he left stevies to take up a pilots job on the south coast some where

Steamdreamer
11th January 2010, 20:52
What a wonderful forum this is!

I posted a photo of an original painting of Flathouse this morning, and expect to be uploading one of Portsmouth in the next couple of days.

I'm only saying that because I don't think that either have yet been mentioned.

Why am I interested? Mostly because my father worked for the Portsmouth & District Gas Company, for which both ships sailed and, more particularly, because my mother launched Portsmouth, and the family still has a great waterline model in a glass case, along with other mementos.

IBlenkinsopp
26th January 2010, 13:42
Hi Guys,
I always hesitate to ask where people are in case they are no longer with us, but, does anyone know where Captain Ralph Potts is?
Thanks

Ian Bl

ted nutt
27th January 2010, 12:20
Morning,as far as Iam aware Ralph is living in Caarrickfergus,although he did ha ve a few medical prodlems several years ago.Ted

VTR1000
27th January 2010, 12:56
I had my seaman's card taken from me in the early 80's, a 99 year ban given by some old biddy in South Shields pool. (Won't go into why!)
Not to be depressed, I took my HGV1 test and ironically started running loads of coal from various places in the north east to the ships in Blyth, Hartlepool and Seaham etc.

Did that for a few years, got a job on the small colliers and then 'luckily' managed to get on with Southampton pool only to do another 15 or so years deep sea. Still miss the sea even now and I live only a short distance from the Gulf of Thailand.
(Thumb)

finetune
30th January 2010, 12:27
Hi, Ian & Ted
I also live in Carrickfergus now,but unfortunately dont know Ralf Potts. Despite 16 years in Stevies,while I'd heard of him,we always missed each other.I'll make a few enquires.
Regards
George

finetune
30th January 2010, 12:35
hello ian, dont know if you remember me but i sailed with you a couple of times with stevies.i was A/B you were 2nd mate around 1982/1986 .i sailed on a few but think it was ashington/aldrington.i sailed quite a few times with chris goddard as mate then master he was a real good bloke.im sure he left stevies to take up a pilots job on the south coast some where

Hi Mickey,you used to relieve the bosun on the "Ashington",did'nt you.?
I was 2/E there at that time.Although i sign off these posts as George,better known in Stevies as Geordie

michael higgins
31st January 2010, 16:57
hi george,yeah thats right .i used to relieve davie carruthers on ashington.good ship good crew.do you by any chance remember the donkeyman george todd from sunderland.i sailed on 3 or 4 ships in stevies with george a great shipmate .he sailed for quite a few years with them.

muldonaich
1st February 2010, 17:33
Hi, Ian & Ted
I also live in Carrickfergus now,but unfortunately dont know Ralf Potts. Despite 16 years in Stevies,while I'd heard of him,we always missed each other.I'll make a few enquires.
Regards
Georgei sailed with a mate in deholms from carrikfergus came out of gulf tankers jimmy hunter did any of you know him.

finetune
1st February 2010, 19:38
hi george,yeah thats right .i used to relieve davie carruthers on ashington.good ship good crew.do you by any chance remember the donkeyman george todd from sunderland.i sailed on 3 or 4 ships in stevies with george a great shipmate .he sailed for quite a few years with them.

Hi Michael, I remember George well,sailed with him on the "Ashington" for years and before that on the "Donnington or Dallington".Always had a few pints with him in Sunderland when he was on his way home for 1/2 day.
I once heard George described as "the best donkeyman in the merchant navy",something I would totally agree with.

Take care
George

gkh151
1st February 2010, 21:40
Hi everybody,

I've read the pages of this thread with interest. I did a trip on the Jevingnton in 72, I joined her in Immingham (I live in Grimsby) and if memory serves me right we did Lubeck and then to Shields I think I was EDH on her. I joined the Wimington in 73 as AB also in Immingham and trapped my hand stowing the gangway was rushed ashored to the clinic on the docks to have my hand strapped up and spent the first couple of weeks of the trip on the 12-4 watch I remember that was Immingham, Casablanca, Dublin and back to Immingham and I think we did that run three times before paying off. I dont remember any of the lads from the Jevinton but I remember on the Wilmington there was a lad who lived in Grimsby called Steve but he was originally from Ireland and we used to spend many a night in his cabin listening to his collection of tapes. There was also a black guy I think he was SOS who could hardly read or write and he used to come to me to read his mail to him from his wife and write him a reply. Had some great times aboard them and many a laugh.

Graham

Burned Toast
2nd February 2010, 14:04
Hi Michael, I remember George well,sailed with him on the "Ashington" for years and before that on the "Donnington or Dallington".Always had a few pints with him in Sunderland when he was on his way home for 1/2 day.
I once heard George described as "the best donkeyman in the merchant navy",something I would totally agree with.

Take care
George

Sorry to tell you George crossed the bar around five years ago, Used to have a drink with him on leave, Great ship mate.

Ray

IBlenkinsopp
3rd February 2010, 13:30
Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about George, he was a great help when I was mate on the 'D' boats, trying to get all the ballast out and load in 6hrs at Ming-Ming.
Can you remember the public phone under the conveyor, I'm still shaking,
Other names I recall, Dave Carruthers, Ray Dobie and Mr Boxall of Blue Peter Liferaft fame.
Ian Bl.

michael higgins
3rd February 2010, 17:52
hi ian,
like yourself im really sorry to hear about geordie todd ,i once had to leave my car at his house when we sailed from south dock earlier than expected.its over 20 year now since dave carruthers crossed the bar,and as for ronnie boxall alias BONZO i sailed with him on washington he went with RFA after stevies dont know how long for,he must be one of the biggest crackpots i ever met.

finetune
3rd February 2010, 19:34
Also very sorry to hear about George.I sailed with Davey on the Ashington and later on the Emerald and i knew he had crossed the bar,quite young.
We shared a few "four bells" in our time. Anybody remember chief stewart Pat Cairns,came from the Isle of Wight but lived in the Northeast with wife Doris.
Regards
George

michael higgins
3rd February 2010, 20:16
hi george,
i remember pat cairns very well on ashington good chief steward.chief cook was alan miller im still good friends with him,he has been taxi driving since leaving stevies.another couple of names is chief steward mel carr who has now passed 80 and still going strong and bill gibson who was skipper on ashington the first time i joined her,nearly forgot bunker bill,,,,,,billy adamson he was always up to his neck in oil,real good lad though.

john hardy
6th June 2010, 11:31
just wondering if anyone here remembers my father, he was cook/steward with stevie clarkes from 1948 till 1968, his name was butch hardy, born in south shields but lived nearly all his life in west hartlepool. went to sea in 1928 mainly with ropners as i recall, but malaria sent him coasting in 1948. some of his ships were the portslade, firebeam, murdoch (12 years) keynes, beeding. he died in 1980 so the chance of anyone who sailed with him are slim, a couple of his shipmates were gordon (chopper ) robinson, engineer, and johny shaw, catering again. hope to hear from someone, john hardy.

chadburn
6th June 2010, 18:03
John, you are not by any chance a relative of Colin Hardy (Blondie) from Hartlepool (who had a superb Mk 1 Lotus Cortina) are you?, I met him at the Furness Yard when I was standing by a new build in 67/68. We all played football together.

john hardy
7th June 2010, 01:39
hi chadburn, no relation to colin, but heard of him while working on the seal sands for wm press, then worked with him for cgb building oil rig floatation platforms at graythorp in the early 70s, regards, john.

chadburn
7th June 2010, 17:20
John, he was a bit of a "character" that's for sure, when I was Standing By at the Furness Yard and living in North Yorks along with being the only Brit in the Crew I was made "Entertainments Officer" for the rest of the Stand By Crew. This meant taking them "Over the Border" as well as the local Night Clubs. Most were very fit lads so football matches were arranged between the Yard Eng Section and my crew mates plus a couple of "ringers" who were staying at the Merchant Navy Hotel on Marton Road(LOL).
Did you stay long enough at Grays to get that "Completion Bonus" you all fought so hard for? Big money day's John(Thumb)
Regards

Pat McCardle
7th June 2010, 19:02
hi ian,
like yourself im really sorry to hear about geordie todd ,i once had to leave my car at his house when we sailed from south dock earlier than expected.its over 20 year now since dave carruthers crossed the bar,and as for ronnie boxall alias BONZO i sailed with him on washington he went with RFA after stevies dont know how long for,he must be one of the biggest crackpots i ever met.

I sailed with Bonzo on Washington too. Him and that bloody 7 sided life-boat he was 'designing'. Last I heard he was Bosun on a ferry, it must have been laid up hey? He would never make a sailor as long as he has a hole in ......You all know the rest. Send my regards to Alan Miller, another good bloke who I used to share a few beers with on a hot day. Is he still in Whitley Bay? Maybe we should have a Stevies reunion some day, down the Mill Dam?(Thumb) I'll pass on your best the next time I see Billy Adamson.

martinallison
26th June 2010, 21:18
Is anyone interested in jioning or at least coming to the Stephenson Clarke Retired Offices metings we meet twice a year in the Marsden Inn next meeting is in November.

IBlenkinsopp
28th June 2010, 13:37
Is anyone interested in jioning or at least coming to the Stephenson Clarke Retired Offices metings we meet twice a year in the Marsden Inn next meeting is in November.

Hi Martin,
Wouldn't mind a trip over, keep me posted

Ian Bl.

IBlenkinsopp
2nd July 2010, 13:06
Hi guys,
Dug out my Disatance/Passage log I used to keep, here is a list of ships/skippers;

Ferring; D Carlton/H Kay
Ashington; J H Johnson/W Gibson/N Ramsay
Jevington; D Carlton
Ashington; J H Johnson/N Ramsay
Donnington; R Potts/R Atkinson
Durrington; M Arkley/N Ramsay/R Potts
Donnington; R Atkinson/D Patrickson/R Thompson
Storrington; N Ramsay/W Adair
Dallington; G Young/J L Blanch
Malling; A Mackay/ A Bourne
Harting; R Clifford/Sean Mcauig/R Francis
Ferring; R Clifford/A Bourne
Storrington; W Sutherland
Storrington; M Arkley
Ashington; J Dyer/G Pirie
Storrington; D Mcleod
Washington; O Stephenson/Ted Gaffney
Dallington; R Thompson/C Goddard
Dallington; R Thompson/R Potts
Donnington; M Rushbrook/W Sutherland
Donnington; M Rushbrook/G Young;

Bring back any memories? Where are they now?

Ian Bl.

Pat McCardle
2nd July 2010, 15:42
Sailed with Bill Sutherland, Don Mcleod(Mate) & Donald Patrickson(Mate) on Washington & Bobby Thompson on Ferring. BS is probably in South Africa, DM? & thought DP would have been living in Cuba? I remember he spoke well of Castro after meeting him when with Tate & Lyle.

Gateshead Lass
9th August 2010, 23:38
Does anyone have any reminiscences about my late father Jimmy Gray, who was bosun on the Hackney? He's in a couple of photos in Capt. McRae's book about the ship. I remember visiting Stevie-Clarke's offices in Collingwood Street with my mother to pick up what she called her 'allotment.' It seemed very big and grandiose building but then I was just wee girl from a humble Tyneside flat!

The 2nd. Mate
15th September 2010, 20:41
Hi all

This is a great and active thread and I join it because of my late father. His name was Hugh [Hughie] John Hughes and was a coasting man from age 14 until 1966, 2years before he died.

What surprised me was the ease with which he switched from steam [he had been an up-and-downer engineer since WWII] to deisel when he joined SC after the Holderness s/s co. went under.

I don't remember all the SC ships in which he served as I can't get access to his DB's at present. I know he was on the "Henfield" until he retired. He liked the ship and the crew one reason being it was on a regular run from Goole to Southampton, With him living in Gosport and us in Hull it suited him down to the ground.

Will send more when I dig out his DB's.

Cheers

Ian

Jacktar1
15th September 2010, 20:49
Hi Ian....just wonder if your Dad was ever on the 'HOLDERNENE" ?
Cheers......Glan

The 2nd. Mate
16th September 2010, 20:11
Hi Jack

Can't say offhand. His longest spell was as Ch Eng of "Holdernore" but he did sail on others. Will make a serious attempt to dig out his DB's and have a look.

Cheers

Ian

Hamish Mackintosh
16th September 2010, 23:51
Hi all

This is a great and active thread and I join it because of my late father. His name was Hugh [Hughie] John Hughes and was a coasting man from age 14 until 1966, 2years before he died.

What surprised me was the ease with which he switched from steam [he had been an up-and-downer engineer since WWII] to deisel when he joined SC after the Holderness s/s co. went under.

I don't remember all the SC ships in which he served as I can't get access to his DB's at present. I know he was on the "Henfield" until he retired. He liked the ship and the crew one reason being it was on a regular run from Goole to Southampton, With him living in Gosport and us in Hull it suited him down to the ground.

Will send more when I dig out his DB's.

Cheers

Ian

The Henfield was a regular runner to the power stations in Shoreham

The 2nd. Mate
17th September 2010, 19:26
Hi Hamish

I stand corrected. Shoreham would have been even better for him seeing as he lived in Gosport.

Cheers

Ian

hawkey01
19th September 2010, 14:50
For some reason I never thought to see if any of you ex Stevies men can help me.
When I was RO on Blanchland back in the 60's the 2nd Mate was one Peter Collinson. We were pretty good buddies and kept in touch for some years. I know he went on to be Ch/Off on various Stevies vessels. He Lived somewhere on Tyneside but I cannot remember where. If any of you have any recent news of him I would be obliged if you could let me know. Even better if you could give me an address.

Hawkey01

joebuckham
19th September 2010, 18:07
For some reason I never thought to see if any of you ex Stevies men can help me.
When I was RO on Blanchland back in the 60's the 2nd Mate was one Peter Collinson. We were pretty good buddies and kept in touch for some years. I know he went on to be Ch/Off on various Stevies vessels. He Lived somewhere on Tyneside but I cannot remember where. If any of you have any recent news of him I would be obliged if you could let me know. Even better if you could give me an address.

Hawkey01

sorry hawkeye this is my best shot. i sailed, as mate,with peter in the seventies on the ferring when he was relieving captain joe johnson and he mentioned that he lived in mickleton-in-teesdale.i believe he left stevies mid seventies

B.Nicholson
20th September 2010, 00:55
I was Bosun on the Maplehurst late 70 until 73/74 then promoted to 2nd mate. Met a lot of great guys on the tankers. Capt Bill China,Ch Eng Willy Hudspith,Ch Eng George Lawson, Capt Bob Soulsby,Ch Eng Doug Balburnie and Capt John Marshall (who all helped me a lot getting my tickets) to name but a few. Stevie's Tanker men were special from the low order of COLLIER men. i did 6 years in the tankers and loved every minute . Hard work and long hours but it was for our family's. We were the chosen few???? Lol ;; I know 3 of the above are dead but all I can say to you that are left is TAKE CARE , Drink and and Smoke and make Merry. You've Earned it Stuff The Doctors. Big Nick

B.Nicholson
20th September 2010, 01:23
Hi Ian....just wonder if your Dad was ever on the 'HOLDERNENE" ?
Cheers......Glan

I was on the Holdervine 28.8.1958 until 18.9.1958 as S.O.S

Capt was a magic old guy from Hartlepool. A real professional seaman. Also very much a mans man. Only have his signature in my discharge book. Could it have been S.M.Brougthon ?Cant decipher. Bob

hawkey01
20th September 2010, 14:18
Joe,

thanks for your reply. I have some idea in the back of my mind that he went out to the far east on rig supply ships.

Hawkey01

dave hind
25th February 2011, 20:44
In 1962 was on the MV Steyning as 2nd Mate Goole to Shoreham with coal and back for more coal it was tiring but good sturdy ship

joebuckham
25th February 2011, 21:02
I was on the Holdervine 28.8.1958 until 18.9.1958 as S.O.S

Capt was a magic old guy from Hartlepool. A real professional seaman. Also very much a mans man. Only have his signature in my discharge book. Could it have been S.M.Brougthon ?Cant decipher. Bob

hi bob memory is fading but i think the gentleman who you sailed with was steve broughton(Thumb)

johnny.x
5th March 2011, 11:33
remember these little coasters used to come into dover on a regular basis when i was training to go to sea. on an of note did an abandon ship exercise on the first hovercraft for it to get its certificate.

granty
21st March 2011, 13:08
hi to dave hind
i was a boatman in the 60s in shoreham was the master then named
Alexander and did he have a brother as mate if i remember correctly
after he retired a man called monger went master and the bosen was from southwick and a mate of mine was in her for a while ben johnston also from shoreham
regards
granty

farina_man
12th September 2011, 21:34
My father, Kenneth Andrews, who will be 87 in October, first joined Stevie Clarkes in 1954. He was on a flattie, the Samuel Clegg, running down to London for the gas board, then in 1955 he became the first Chief engineer on the Sir Thomas Goulden, newly built in Aberdeen. I vaguely remember going aboard this ship, although I was just a toddler. He came ashore in 1957 and became a ship-repair manager at Greenwells Shiprepair yard in the south dock, Sunderland, until it closed about 1975-ish. During that time he worked on many of SC's ships. He didn't find it easy getting a shore job after the shipyards closed so he went back to Stevie Clarks in the late 1970's, initially as third, then second engineer. I'm pretty sure he was on the Jevington, amongst others. After a few years he had to take medical retirement with blood pressure.
Does anyone remember him, or the Thomas Goulden/Samuel Clegg?

IBlenkinsopp
14th October 2011, 12:03
Hi Guys,
Uploaded photo of Jevington on gallery @ South Dock 1980.
Enjoy

I.B.

IBlenkinsopp
22nd October 2011, 16:32
Uploaded picture of Ferring @ Ghent 1979, to gallery, sorting out my collection, more to come.

Ian B

finetune
21st December 2011, 18:51
Hi Guys,
I always hesitate to ask where people are in case they are no longer with us, but, does anyone know where Captain Ralph Potts is?
Thanks

Ian Bl

Hi guys, seen in the Carrick Times last week. Ralph Potts has been awarded the Merchant Navy Medal, photo of him too.
Despite living in Carrick, I still dont know him.
Happy Christmas to all the Stevies team
George

IBlenkinsopp
28th December 2011, 11:46
Hi guys, seen in the Carrick Times last week. Ralph Potts has been awarded the Merchant Navy Medal, photo of him too.
George

I think he wrote a book about his time with Stevies, I could do one in three words, Cold Wet Tired.

BillH
28th December 2011, 14:40
My father, Kenneth Andrews, who will be 87 in October, first joined Stevie Clarkes in 1954. He was on a flattie, the Samuel Clegg, running down to London for the gas board, then in 1955 he became the first Chief engineer on the Sir Thomas Goulden, newly built in Aberdeen. I vaguely remember going aboard this ship, although I was just a toddler. He came ashore in 1957 and became a ship-repair manager at Greenwells Shiprepair yard in the south dock, Sunderland, until it closed about 1975-ish. During that time he worked on many of SC's ships. He didn't find it easy getting a shore job after the shipyards closed so he went back to Stevie Clarks in the late 1970's, initially as third, then second engineer. I'm pretty sure he was on the Jevington, amongst others. After a few years he had to take medical retirement with blood pressure.
Does anyone remember him, or the Thomas Goulden/Samuel Clegg?

SAMUEL CLEGG “Flat-iron” type collier.
O.N. 183165. 1,773g. 1,191n. 2,710d. 259.5 (270.5) x 39.5 x 16.5 feet.
8-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (340 x 570mm) by British Polar Engines Ltd., Glasgow. 294 NHP.
19.10.1949: Launch by S. P. Austin and Son Ltd., Wear Dock, Sunderland (Yard No. 400).
1.1950: Completed for the North Thames Gas Board, (Stephenson Clarke Ltd, managers), London.
1967: Sold to Douglas Arnold, London and renamed SANDERSTEAD.
1967: Sold to Compania Naviera La Molinera S.A., Panama and renamed LA MOLINERA.
1972: Sold to Linera Shipping Co. Ltd., Georgetown, Cayman Islands and renamed LINERA.
1977: Sold to the Kirkconnell Shipping Co. Inc., Tampa, United States of America and registered under the Honduran flag.
1980: Sold to Naviera Veritas SA, Bilbao, Spain, retaining Honduran flag and laid up at Tampa.
By 1983: Had been abandoned by her owner and is believed to have been subsequently sold for demolition.

THOMAS GOULDEN
O.N. 186225. 3,332g. 1,678n. 4,564d. 339.0 x 46.4 x 20.1 feet.
T.3-cyl. (19”, 31” and 54” x 39”) by the North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. (1938) Ltd., Sunderland. 310 NHP. 10½ knots.
1.7.1954: Launched by Hall, Russell and Co. Ltd., Aberdeen (Yard No. 837).
4.1955: Completed for the North Thames Gas Board, (Stephenson Clarke Ltd, managers), London.
1.4.1968: Managers renamed Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd.
1968: Sold to Gino Gardella, Genoa, Italy and renamed BRICK OTIAVO.
3.11.1983: De.Co.Mar. Societa commenced demolition at La Spezia.

JEVINGTON (1)
O.N. 300870. 4,655g. 2,624n. 6,670d. 366’ 11” x 54’ 6” x 23’ 7”.
Post 1964: 5,330g. 3,269n. 7,640d. 414’ 2” x 54’ 6” x 22’ 8½”
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (600 x 1,040mm) by Sulzer Bros. Ltd., Winterthur. 3,000 BHP. 12½ knots.
11.12.1958: Launched by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith (Yard No. 468).
4.1959: Completed for Chine Shipping Co. Ltd., London as MACAULAY.
1964: Lengthened.
1968: Sold to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd. and renamed JEVINGTON.
1980: Sold to Patmos Shipping Co. Ltd., Greece and renamed OMEGA PATMOS.
29.5.1984: Arrived at Jamnagar for demolition by Dhirubhai Shah.

JEVINGTON (2)
O.N. 377156. 8,014g. 3,980n. 12,328d. 127.4 x 19.54 x 8.116 metres oa.
12-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (400 x 460mm) Pielstick Vee type by Crossley Premier Engines Ltd, Manchester. 6,000 BHP. 13 knots.
5.8.1976: Launched by Robb Caledon Shipbuilders Ltd, Leith (Yard No. 520).
1.1977: Completed for Thornhope Shipping Co. Ltd, (Hudson Steamship Co. Ltd, managers), London as GARRISON POINT.
1984: Sold to Thornhope Ltd (same managers).
1987: Sold to Thornhope Shipping Co. Ltd, (same managers) and renamed ELIZABETE under Bahamian flag.
22.9.1990: Sold to Jointlease Ltd, (Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd managers) and renamed JEVINGTON, retaining Bahamanian flag.
1992: Transferred to Isle of Man registry.
2000: Suffered severe main engine damage at Le Havre and was declared as beyond economical repair then sold to Spanish shipbreakers.
27.4.2000: Arrived in tow at Santander for demolition.

erniedixon
4th February 2012, 02:11

i was galley boy on the CLEVELAND about 1961 is.done the cuba/russia/commi china for about 9 months.remember the bosun was called ALFIE COPOCK dirty auld bugger,used to try and catch us in the shower..never succeeded i might add. ernie d ixon.

BillH
4th February 2012, 07:39
CLEVELAND (1958 - 1964)
O.N. 300792. 8,619g. 5,009n. 12,700d. 478’ 1” x 62’ 3” x 29’ 0-7/8”
5-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (750 x 1,500mm) B and W type by J. G. Kincaid and Co. Ltd., Greenock. 5,700 BHP. 14½ knots.
31.7.1958: Launched by William Gray and Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool (Yard No.1293).
11.1958: Completed for Stephenson Clarke Ltd.
1964: Sold to Yick Fung Shipping and Enterprises Co. Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed VENICE.
1972: Transferred to Somali Republic registry.
1976: Transferred to Panama registry.
1978: Renamed HONG QI 131.
1980: Sold to The People’s Republic of China.
2002: Entry deleted from Lloyd’s Register

FINDON (1961 - 1973)
O.N. 186868. 3,432g. 1,733n. 4,520d. 344’ 0” x 46’ 3” x 20’ 0”
3-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (480 x 1,660mm) by Wm. Doxford and Sons (Engineers) Ltd., Sunderland. 1,425 BHP.
14.2.1957: Launched by Austin and Pickersgill Ltd., Wear Dock, Sunderland (Yard No.430).
5.1957: Completed for Pelton S.S. Co. Ltd., Newcastle as RONDO.
1961: Sold to Stephenson Clarke Ltd. and renamed FINDON.
1.4.1968: Owners renamed Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd.
1973: Sold to Andromyk Shipping Co. Ltd., Cyprus and renamed INDON.
1973: Sold to San East Marine Corp., S.A., Panama and renamed SAN SHINE.
1977: Sold to Triocean Shipping Co. Ltd., Panama and renamed TRIUMPH ACE.
27.9.1977: Whilst on a ballast voyage from Kaohsiung to Keelung stranded in a position 25.18.01N, 121.32.48E, near Keelung. Later demolished as she lay, by Ming Shieh Steel Mill Inc.

IBlenkinsopp
25th February 2012, 19:31
Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me anything about Minnie Becks? I belive it was near Whitehill Pt? what was the name of the pub? any info greatfully recieved.
Thanks

Ian B.

michael higgins
25th February 2012, 20:03
hi ian,your right minnie becks was a stones throw from whitehill point,the dock hotel was its proper name but was know as minnie becks after the old girl who ran it.i know she was beaten up during a bulglary in the early 70's .the pub then closed and if im not mistaken she died in an old peoples home a short time after.

trotterdotpom
26th February 2012, 00:16
Ian, there is quite a bit on the site about Minnie's. Michael is right about her being murdered ... apparently by some Greek seamen. If you put Minnie Beck's into the search engine, you'll probably find out all about it. The pub was surrounded by the Esso tankfarm as Minnie refused to sell to them. I heard the whole lot is a housing estate now.

John T

IBlenkinsopp
26th February 2012, 14:00
Hi,
Thanks very much for that information, it's given me something to go on
'Skipper says if aal gaans reet we'll be in Minne Beck's bar the neet'

Ian B.

N.R.HOLMES
26th February 2012, 16:19
In the early 50s i believe it still had gaslight and clippy mats on the floor so the lads used totell me when i was a cabin boy.That is Minnie Becks.

Ron Stringer
27th February 2012, 00:15
In the early 50s i believe it still had gaslight and clippy mats on the floor so the lads used totell me when i was a cabin boy.That is Minnie Becks.

Still unchanged when I went in there in early 1967.

IBlenkinsopp
27th February 2012, 20:20
Hi Guys,
Long shot department; any photos of the Dock Hotel?

Ian B.

madbob
28th February 2012, 08:56
Remember Minnies very well. Just like yesterday. Lads on watch ashore would meet in Minnies before walking down to the staithes for sailing. Sometimes watch aboard lads could manage a pint before the off. Was always welcome if bad weather prevented leaving as when lying to, the next pub was in Percy Main. Plenty about Minnies on the site. Good old Girl. Real character.

Bert1e
1st March 2012, 00:55
hi ruud,thanks for the pics,happy times on those ships. regards mick.

just noticed yer name mick-sure ah sailed wiyh you on the m.v jade-name was robbie back then.blyth to poland and belfast 1980ish

Pat McCardle
1st March 2012, 09:02
Sad to have to pass on the news of the death of Davy Johnstone, ex cook. he was with Stevies in the latter years before the Poles completely took over. Davy was ex BP & then joined Stevies, a good bloke, excellent cook & good mate to many. Funeral tomorrow at Sunderland crematorium, 12 noon.

backsplice
8th March 2012, 23:00
great article in the January issue of "SHIPPING" today & yesterday with a few good pics too ???

IBlenkinsopp
14th March 2012, 21:48
Hi Guys,

Check out www.nrfta.org.uk and search for 'Port of Tyne' some good footage from 1965.

IB

suegrew
24th April 2012, 19:38

My father was master of Findon from her launch in 57 as MV Rondo until his death in 66, can remember chief steward Tommy, chief officer Mr. Bowmaker, Chief engineer Mr. Errington 2nd engineer Pat?

michael higgins
19th May 2012, 10:56
just read that stevies have now sold storrington and durrington with donnington and dallington already gone thats the end of the D BOATS.does any one know the situation regarding stevies current fleet,if any.

BillH
19th May 2012, 12:35
I think that just leaves the NEWCASTLE

IBlenkinsopp
22nd May 2012, 09:16
Have the Storrington and Durrington gone for further trading or scrap? They must both be a queer old age now. Did a few trips on Storrington as mate with mainly Captain Ramsay and a couple 2nd Mate on the Durrington with Captain Arkley, mainly from ming ming to Esbjerg, I sure couldn't do 5 and 5 about now, far too old!

Ian B.

BillH
22nd May 2012, 09:31
Have the Storrington and Durrington gone for further trading or scrap? They must both be a queer old age now. Did a few trips on Storrington as mate with mainly Captain Ramsay and a couple 2nd Mate on the Durrington with Captain Arkley, mainly from ming ming to Esbjerg, I sure couldn't do 5 and 5 about now, far too old!

Ian B.

Both have gone seperately to the same Bulgarian flag operators. Storrington end of last year and Durrington early this year.

keith mitchell
24th May 2012, 15:03
George

i sailed with ralph potts as an edh/ab. he was scarey (as a kid) very much authorative and very well respected. glad to here he has a merchant navy medal. good luck Ralph.

keith mitchell
24th May 2012, 15:22

hello michael, a few years now but i remember you from my first trip with stevie,s. just a young teenager then. went on to stay with them for ten years. (1987)ish.

Bill Adamson
14th June 2012, 08:31
I spent 16 years as an engineer with stevies,started with the maplehurst,midhurst,ashurst,portslade,pulborough,d onnington,dallington,ashington,aldrington,gem and finally emerald,left in 1989 due to motorbike crash.It was a good company,I enjoyed it. Regards to all
George

WellWellWell,George I found you at last,How are you keeping?.I heard you had a bad crash on your bike,I am working and living in Baku Azerbaijan now and have been here 13Years,We had some good laughs when the new cadets joined the Ashington and the Aldrington,Famous saying was (does your mammy know you are here)Keep in touch.Bill *3Rd

Pat McCardle
14th June 2012, 11:25
Found us at last Bill! There should be a few on here who you remember...or will remember you. Ha!!

finetune
17th June 2012, 17:06
WellWellWell,George I found you at last,How are you keeping?.I heard you had a bad crash on your bike,I am working and living in Baku Azerbaijan now and have been here 13Years,We had some good laughs when the new cadets joined the Ashington and the Aldrington,Famous saying was (does your mammy know you are here)Keep in touch.Bill *3Rd

Real good to hear from you Billy . I'd heard from Pat that you were living abroad. Had some good times on the Ashington,looking back it was a really good ship. I crashed the bike in September 1988 when home on leave from the Emerald.Spent some months in hospital and a year or so on the walking stick but eventually made a good recovery. Did some contract work,then went on the maintenance team at one of the local universitys. Took early retirement due to some heart issues (now sorted). Thats the MNOPF and the local goverment NILGOS pensions I've managed to get so far. I'm led to believe Stevies is about stuffed. Bill Dowie has retired from the Shields Tech,not sure about Roly. You probaly know that Chris Rasmussen took his own life several years ago.
Anyhow take care
George

Bill Adamson
18th June 2012, 03:35
Aye I heard about Chris very sad,Roly is still knocking about I was in touch with him a few months ago he has 2 hearing aids now unfortunatly thats engine rooms for you,I didnt know Bill Dowie was working at South Shields Tech was he the janitor HA-HA,Yes Stevies is about finished now what a shame we had some good times with them,I heard Geordie Todd passed away I think it was the big C that got him what a great lad nothing was a bother for him probably the best donkeyman I have ever sailed with,Keep in touch,Bill

NPHINN
30th July 2012, 16:50
Hi All

Sad to say I heard today that Stevies went into liquidation 26th July 2012

All the best

Nigel

hindar
30th July 2012, 23:54
Hi All

Sad to say I heard today that Stevies went into liquidation 26th July 2012

All the best

Nigel

Thats such a shame, but not unexpected-even when I was there at Newcastle office briefly in the mid 70's they got a computer and someone commented that "it would bring us kicking and screaming into the 19th century"!

A.D.FROST
31st July 2012, 09:37
"Silver Banners" Gone but no forgotten(Night)

hawkey01
31st July 2012, 11:15
A sad end to a company I sailed with deepsea back in the 60's. See my thread - Blanchland - How tramping used to be - in the trampship forum.

Hawkey01

Pat McCardle
31st July 2012, 20:28
"Silver Banners" Gone but no forgotten(Night)

I knew them as Silver Banders.Great company, some great crews with some weird characters all making for some great trips. Good payers & feeders & looked after you when on sick leave, well they did with me. The oldest established British shipping company...R.I.P.(Night)

blocker
31st July 2012, 21:29
Sad sad day for Stevvies I sailed as bosun on the Birling with Capt Malcolm McKinnon for several years, Telford Evans was mate. Loved my job on the Birling.

kevhogg
31st July 2012, 22:39
Yes good company-sailed on Dallington Donnington and Lubchem- One of the many Great British outfits to be no more

granty
1st August 2012, 10:44
Hi Blocker
Were you in her when she ran to Shoreham from Flushing or Bantry Bay
Regards
Granty

IBlenkinsopp
1st August 2012, 19:58
Lots of interesting times with Stevies,as you say they did look after you. Ah well no more keeping watch in paca-mac and slippers, plus flat cap in heavy weather :-(

andylangton
5th August 2012, 13:38
To all that sailed with my dad Billy Langton i am sad to say he passed away yesterday. He had many a good times with Stevies and made many people laugh with his winding up and wit.

michael higgins
5th August 2012, 17:53
very very sad news.i would like to send my deepest sympathy to his family.i had the pleasure to sail with billy quite a few times with stevies and formed a great friendship with him.like his son andy says his winding up and wit were second to none.

keith mitchell
6th August 2012, 04:05
To all that sailed with my dad Billy Langton i am sad to say he passed away yesterday. He had many a good times with Stevies and made many people laugh with his winding up and wit.

Just like to say im very sorry to hear about your dad, while at stevies i considerd your dad to be a very good friend, he made life on board more entertianing and helped the days pass. he was a good grafta, bosun, man and friend. RIP Billy.

IBlenkinsopp
6th August 2012, 13:14

My I also add my sympathy and condolences, to you and your family, a fine man.

Ian B.

martinallison
8th August 2012, 22:28
Stephenson Clarke sold their last ship on the 4th of July and are now being wound up the last of the Big Uk shipping companies founded in 1730 buggered by a bunch of Bankers (sorry spelt that wrong)

BillH
9th August 2012, 09:40
Stephenson Clarke sold their last ship on the 4th of July and are now being wound up the last of the Big Uk shipping companies founded in 1730 buggered by a bunch of Bankers (sorry spelt that wrong)

I think perhaps it was a bit more than just the bankers. An ageing fleet with declining work and perhaps vessels not best suited to what available work there was.

What is also interesting is the NEWCASTLE as their last vessel is now owned by a Trust Company, and is registered under Isle of Man flag as NORBOTTEN, which was one of her former names. To me, that would suggest that she had been on lease or mortgage rather than fully owned.

A.D.FROST
9th August 2012, 10:27
I think perhaps it was a bit more than just the bankers. An ageing fleet with declining work and perhaps vessels not best suited to what available work there was.

What is also interesting is the NEWCASTLE as their last vessel is now owned by a Trust Company, and is registered under Isle of Man flag as NORBOTTEN, which was one of her former names. To me, that would suggest that she had been on lease or mortgage rather than fully owned.

I totally agree,get out while the goings good (like Everards).Just look at Carisbrooke and Arklow what are they doing right?(management)(Thumb)

BillH
9th August 2012, 10:40
I totally agree,get out while the goings good (like Everards).Just look at Carisbrooke and Arklow what are they doing right?(management)(Thumb)

I think it reasonably safe to say that their success is in operating a modern well maintained reliable fleet in sufficient numbers and sizes to be able to tender for large volume bulk cargo movements, almost like a supply chain. We have seen photos of four or five Arklow ships lined up on the berths at Belfast unloading.

A small fleet of elderly, similar size vessels does not lend well to sustainability.

Pat McCardle
9th August 2012, 20:30

Carisbrooke shipping to be seen all over the world these days & not very large bulkers either. Arklow got in when Stevies fleet started to age....& were probably undercut?

A.D.FROST
10th August 2012, 10:39
Carisbrooke shipping to be seen all over the world these days & not very large bulkers either. Arklow got in when Stevies fleet started to age....& were probably undercut?

Also dosen't help when your staple cargoes are coal & bauxite,which helped keep the 'D's going,well past their sell by date.(credit were credits due)

Pat McCardle
10th August 2012, 20:08
Also dosen't help when your staple cargoes are coal & bauxite,which helped keep the 'D's going,well past their sell by date.(credit were credits due)

Aye so true ADF. 30 years ago, doesn't seem a long time? & all the ships SC's had...much the same as all former British company's, glad I was part of it though!(Thumb)

keith mitchell
13th August 2012, 04:21

yes its a shame Marion last of :the best of the worst:

OctoEngineer
18th September 2012, 08:50
I have really enjoyed reading this thread, i must have been one of the last Engineering cadets with stevies 2002-2005 and then did 3 trips as 3rd engineer 2005-2006. I sailed on dallington, donnington, durrington and storrington, never made it over to the sea amethyst (thank god). I remember first joining the dallington as first trip gadge in ipswitch and being the only brit onboard for a month or so. After that met some great brits in the fleet Just going to reel of a few names that i can rmbr and would appriciate any updates, Bob briggs c/e, Bob Dowling 3/e, David prime 2/e, Geoff rommel capt. barry standerline capt. steve bartlett c/e. Howard (Ted) Knutt 2/0, Bruce tucker capt. Dave patterson C/E. Craig Amess 3/e

Owe stevies alot for teaching me my trade after leaving them i went to north star on errv's for a year. Then Princess cruises for 3.5 years and am currently on a private yach called octopus owned by microsoft co-founder paul allan

NEM
14th November 2012, 12:04
I'd like to mention the Portsmouth & Ardingley. In 1950 both were the first vessels powered by Clark/Sulzer TPF36 engines I worked on them in Geo.Clark(1938)Ltd.in Sunderland.The first time this engine was started in the Erecting shop it blew out windows,flames were seen from the Exhaust outside the building. Someone rang the Fire brigade thinking our works had exploded. The 'flatties' not mentioed so far were Murdock,Adams Beck,Battersea & Blackwall Point. NEM.

A.D.FROST
14th November 2012, 13:46
I'd like to mention the Portsmouth & Ardingley. In 1950 both were the first vessels powered by Clark/Sulzer TPF36 engines I worked on them in Geo.Clark(1938)Ltd.in Sunderland.The first time this engine was started in the Erecting shop it blew out windows,flames were seen from the Exhaust outside the building. Someone rang the Fire brigade thinking our works had exploded. The 'flatties' not mentioed so far were Murdock,Adams Beck,Battersea & Blackwall Point. NEM.

The one that brought the house down was 9RD90 for the BRITISH COMMERCE(you could hear it all over the town)(Thumb)

joebuckham
26th November 2012, 22:12
i sailed with bill dowie chief engineer in the ferring and malling in the 70's and last met him in the 80's on board the dallington or donnington in esbjerg when i went visiting from the sta schooner winston churchill.
i was talking about this to a fellow student in an art class in witton park, durham and it turned out he was a friend of bills from his chidhood and early adulthood.
although they met each other over the years he has now lost touch and would like to renew his friendship so if there is anybody out there who knows bills whereabouts or how to get in touch, please give me shout

regards

joe
_ps i opened a new thread for this but it quick disappeared so i have attached it here_________________

finetune
10th December 2012, 21:13
i sailed with bill dowie chief engineer in the ferring and malling in the 70's and last met him in the 80's on board the dallington or donnington in esbjerg when i went visiting from the sta schooner winston churchill.
i was talking about this to a fellow student in an art class in witton park, durham and it turned out he was a friend of bills from his chidhood and early adulthood.
although they met each other over the years he has now lost touch and would like to renew his friendship so if there is anybody out there who knows bills whereabouts or how to get in touch, please give me shout

regards

joe
_ps i opened a new thread for this but it quick disappeared so i have attached it here_________________

Last I heard of Bill,he was working at the college in Shields although I think he has now retired. Mabye they would know.

joebuckham
10th December 2012, 22:31
finetune, many thanks i was beginning to give up hope that anyone remembered him. i'll try the college see what turns up.

best regards joe

ps just in case any old silver banders see this i am trying to get in touch with an old shipmate, bill dowie chief engineer on behalf of an old friend of his

Pat McCardle
14th December 2012, 20:05
Just been sailing with Dave Hill as C/E. Dave was 2/E on Ashington on the South Africa runs when the miners were on strike, good bloke who I am sure a few of you will remember?

Pat McCardle
14th December 2012, 20:07
I also bring news of the death of Mick Wright from Sunderland, a former engineer with Stevies. Mick passed away 3 weeks ago.

finetune
22nd December 2012, 18:59
finetune, many thanks i was beginning to give up hope that anyone remembered him. i'll try the college see what turns up.

best regards joe

ps just in case any old silver banders see this i am trying to get in touch with an old shipmate, bill dowie chief engineer on behalf of an old friend of his

Just heard last night ,that Bill now lives in Boldon. Dont know the address

finetune
22nd December 2012, 19:03
Just been sailing with Dave Hill as C/E. Dave was 2/E on Ashington on the South Africa runs when the miners were on strike, good bloke who I am sure a few of you will remember?

Pat ,do you mean Dave Hull?. Took over from me on the Ashington and did the SA trip. If same one,real nice guy.

Pat McCardle
24th December 2012, 00:30
Aye Dave Hull, my mistake, a good bloke & shipmate with some good yarns from the SA trip Ha!

joebuckham
24th December 2012, 00:37
Just heard last night ,that Bill now lives in Boldon. Dont know the address

finetune thanks very much. trying the college again after the newyear

A.D.FROST
6th January 2013, 12:48
(Jan.2013. Marine News)ASHINGTON(FJORD PEARL-07,JPFOX-08,MILANO STAR arr.Alanga 29.10.2012 for scrapping.

IBlenkinsopp
8th January 2013, 08:48
Sorry to hear the Ashington has gone for razor blades, I had some interesting times on her, mainly NE ports to the London River with Captain Joe, however we did do a Fred Olsen Charter upto Norway loading Marble for St Malo and Med. Ports, then Sfax for La Pallice. Had a rough time inthe Med crossing from Spain to Naples, Roly Sisterson was the chief and Captain Dyer.
After which we loaded Antwerp for R.S.A. Mate was Duncan McCallum and Capatin for the SA trip ws Capt Pirie (Sp?) Also Donkeyman was George Todd. Had to share the sextant there and back, but we didn't get lost depite not having done any proper nav for quite some time. Eventually paid off 30/12/84 in Le Harvre after 5 months. Managed four days leave, then to South Shields to sit Masters. There after spent my last three years with Stevies mainly on the D boats and confined to East Coast trading. Just about finished my teaching career with retirement due this Summer. Where did it all go?

Ian Bl.

bladeburner
19th January 2013, 10:56
i can recall seeing a number of S/C ships in Blyth years ago and wondered what happened to them? i vividly remember the ASHINGTON, i remember this one cos i used to live there. and the STORRINGTON. can anyone help?

After reading a number of these messages I guess there must have been more than one Ashington with S/C. I worked at Clelands Shipbuilding on the Tyne, in '78 we launched the Ashington, this was the only ship I had ever been on of board during a launch. Although the keel and most of its sections were fabricated at Clelands, some sections were built by Swan Hunter at its Neptune yard and floated down river by barge for installation. It was the largest ship built at Clelands and I have some great memories of the time during construction. The Ashington in later years I believe, had a 'sail' fitted, a kind of vertical wing if you like, I don't know how effective this was. Sadly, I did hear in recent years that it was scrapped as mentioned in one of these messages.

BillH
19th January 2013, 11:07
After reading a number of these messages I guess there must have been more than one Ashington with S/C. .

ASHINGTON (1) (1968 – 1978)
/ ARLINGTON (1978 - 1980)
O.N. 187534. 3,894g. 2,176n. 5,630d. 356’ 7” x 50’ 6” x 21’ 9½”
5-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (560 x 1,000mm) by Sulzer Bros. Ltd., Winterthur. 2,000 BHP. 11 knots.
20.11.1956: Launched by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith (Yard No.449).
2.1957: Completed for Chine Shipping Co. Ltd., London as TENNYSON.
1968: Sold to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd. and renamed ASHINGTON.
1978: Renamed ARLINGTON to release the name.
1980: Sold to Gianna A. Shipping Co. Ltd. (Tirrenia Maritime Co. Ltd., managers) Greece and renamed GIANNA A.
1983: Sold to Grenada Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta and renamed CHRYS.
28.7.1984: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition by S.S.International.

ASHINGTON (2) (1979 - 2004)
O.N. 379883. 4,334g. 2,228n. 6,570d. 103.61 x 16.08 x 7.033 metres.
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (381 x 457mm) Blackstone KMR8 type by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd., Stockport, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 4,800 BHP. 14½ knots. Thwartship thrust propeller forward.
14.12.1978: Launched by Clelands Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Wallsend (Yard No. 341).
4.1979: Completed for Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd.
31.10.1986: Owners renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd, (Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, renamed on the same date from Kyle Shipping Co. Ltd, appointed as managers).
16.4.1992: Owners renamed Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, whilst on same date managers renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd.
11.2004: Sold to Stoneship Invest AS and renamed FJORD PEARL.
4.2006: Norway (NIS) registry.
9.2007: Sold to JP Ship AS, (Riga Shipping Ltd, then Bergen Shipping AS managers) and renamed J.P.FOX.
10.2007: Hav Ship Management AS appointed as managers.
8.2008: Sold to Engy Shipping Lines Co., Alexandria (Arados Shipping Co. Srl, managers) and renamed MILANO STAR under Panama flag.
9.6.2009: Sold to Ragab Hamada Ragab Arafa (Engy Shipping Lines Co., managers) Alexandria, retaining Panama flag.
29.10.2012: Arrived at Aliaga for demolition by Kursun Ltd.

bladeburner
19th January 2013, 13:13
ASHINGTON (1) (1968 – 1978)
/ ARLINGTON (1978 - 1980)
O.N. 187534. 3,894g. 2,176n. 5,630d. 356’ 7” x 50’ 6” x 21’ 9½”
5-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (560 x 1,000mm) by Sulzer Bros. Ltd., Winterthur. 2,000 BHP. 11 knots.
20.11.1956: Launched by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith (Yard No.449).
2.1957: Completed for Chine Shipping Co. Ltd., London as TENNYSON.
1968: Sold to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd. and renamed ASHINGTON.
1978: Renamed ARLINGTON to release the name.
1980: Sold to Gianna A. Shipping Co. Ltd. (Tirrenia Maritime Co. Ltd., managers) Greece and renamed GIANNA A.
1983: Sold to Grenada Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta and renamed CHRYS.
28.7.1984: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition by S.S.International.

ASHINGTON (2) (1979 - 2004)
O.N. 379883. 4,334g. 2,228n. 6,570d. 103.61 x 16.08 x 7.033 metres.
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (381 x 457mm) Blackstone KMR8 type by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd., Stockport, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 4,800 BHP. 14½ knots. Thwartship thrust propeller forward.
14.12.1978: Launched by Clelands Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Wallsend (Yard No. 341).
4.1979: Completed for Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd.
31.10.1986: Owners renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd, (Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, renamed on the same date from Kyle Shipping Co. Ltd, appointed as managers).
16.4.1992: Owners renamed Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, whilst on same date managers renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd.
11.2004: Sold to Stoneship Invest AS and renamed FJORD PEARL.
4.2006: Norway (NIS) registry.
9.2007: Sold to JP Ship AS, (Riga Shipping Ltd, then Bergen Shipping AS managers) and renamed J.P.FOX.
10.2007: Hav Ship Management AS appointed as managers.
8.2008: Sold to Engy Shipping Lines Co., Alexandria (Arados Shipping Co. Srl, managers) and renamed MILANO STAR under Panama flag.
9.6.2009: Sold to Ragab Hamada Ragab Arafa (Engy Shipping Lines Co., managers) Alexandria, retaining Panama flag.
29.10.2012: Arrived at Aliaga for demolition by Kursun Ltd.

Thanks BillH

finetune
28th January 2013, 21:42
Stood by the "Ashington" building at Clelands for the last six weeks before maiden voyage. Stevies put us up in a little hotel near Woolworths in Whitley Bay.Cant believe it was so long ago,had a great time there. Sailed on that ship off and on for the best part of 5 years. It was a super ship ,possibly the best I was ever on. Bladeburner the Clelands shipyard should be justfiably proud of that ship.
George

IBlenkinsopp
30th January 2013, 08:59
Stood by the "Ashington" building at Clelands for the last six weeks before maiden voyage. Stevies put us up in a little hotel near Woolworths in Whitley Bay.Cant believe it was so long ago,had a great time there. Sailed on that ship off and on for the best part of 5 years. It was a super ship ,possibly the best I was ever on. Bladeburner the Clelands shipyard should be justfiably proud of that ship.
George

Hi George,
Did Captain Joe take the Ashington out new? I was on for the guarantee Dry Dock at Wallsend Slipway with him, but alas he was relieved by Billy Gibson one of Robertson's men.

Ian B

finetune
1st February 2013, 20:18
Hi George,
Did Captain Joe take the Ashington out new? I was on for the guarantee Dry Dock at Wallsend Slipway with him, but alas he was relieved by Billy Gibson one of Robertson's men.

Ian B

Yea Ian, Captain Joe took the ship out new. He also retired from it ,we had a do for him,many of his old shipmates turned up for it. It
was a good night.
George

bladeburner
9th February 2013, 12:56
Hi George
Thanks very much for your comments about Clelands, it was for many of us a great place to work and good memories and friendships were made there.
Did you know that during the building of Ashington it was noticed that the bilges would hit the jetty wall while being launched so we had to break the concrete up so the ship would clear them.
Alan

finetune
10th February 2013, 17:14
Hi George
Thanks very much for your comments about Clelands, it was for many of us a great place to work and good memories and friendships were made there.
Did you know that during the building of Ashington it was noticed that the bilges would hit the jetty wall while being launched so we had to break the concrete up so the ship would clear them.
Alan

Aye, thats what happens when you build mighty vessels.(Pint)
Didnt know that,seemed to spend most of my time there,tracing and drawing lines ,checking and logging engine room spares in Clelands store before they went aboard.
George

bladeburner
16th February 2013, 19:56
Hi George
Mighty it was for us, biggest thing to slip down our ways. We built too many barges and the like but also plenty of other ships for S/C.
As I was an apprentice at that time, I did spend a few weeks in the shipwrights loft marking the scrieve boards and making the wood lattice templates, possibly the most enjoyable time of my apprenticeship there. Much more interesting than working with CAD these days as I do on occasion.
The bug****s I worked with during the launch of the Ashington made me stand leaning over the prow, waving at my mates below and proud as punch to be there I was. But as the ship slid in reverse down the ways, what I wasn't expecting was the bow to drop of the end of the ways, it was like going down in an express elevator, my stomach lifted then dropped, but that wasn't the only joke that was played on me that day. (Jester)

Alan

Jedo_03
12th December 2013, 12:18
I was on the Storrington as a deck boy Feb 63 - Sept 63
Carting coal from the NE to the Thames
Old memory fading now...
I remember two of the AB's were Tommy (Halharan?) and Allen ??? (who used to pick on me for scraping my knife on the dinner plate.. lol...) and an EDH who was was an Indian/Pakistani who had a blue Royal Enfield motorbike.. Used to load the m.bike onboard using the derrick and go daytripping when we got to the Thames... Good blokes...
Cant for the life of me remember the Bosun - he was a good bloke too...
Don't remember dates etc - but when I was signed on there was an explosion in one of the forward holds - blew the rolling hatch cover clean off... I think we were in the Medway when it happened - off Foulness - loaded... early morning, no one on deck at the time...
Happier Days...

madbob
13th December 2013, 02:59
Hi Jedo - was the bosun Jack Bell from Whitley Bay (known affectionately as "Evil Jack") ?

Jedo_03
13th December 2013, 10:06
Hi M'Bob...
Yes... it was too... Jack Bell... Thanks...
Didn't know of him as "Evil Jack"
Also jogs my memory that the AB Tommy I mentioned was Tommy Mountain...

mr g elliott
13th December 2013, 11:09
I sailed on Battersea fulhamx oliver bury and james rowan for at least 2 years cheers Gordon north shields

mr g elliott
13th December 2013, 11:14
I sailed with tommy mountain and hls brother nicky on james rowan

Jedo_03
13th December 2013, 12:01
Thanks Mr Elliott
Tommy was a good bloke...
I was only a boy at the time I knew him...
Didn't know his brother...

WilliamH
13th December 2013, 17:58
I remember Nick Mountain, he was bosun on the Corbank while I was there, had many a pint with him. His grandmother was known as fishy Alice in South Shields , she had a fish shop under the railway bridge behind King Street, my grandmother knew her and when my grandmother used to take me into the shop Alice would always give me some crab legs to suck the meat out, to this day I still find crab meat to be the most delicious of sea foods.

TONY CLYNE
26th February 2014, 15:37
Sailed on Stevies out of Goole in early 60s. Lancing, Broadhurst and Ardingly. Most of threads on here seem to be from N/E must have worked the dreaded watch aboard watch ashore N.E Coast Agreement we had our own in Goole didn`t have to pay for watch ashore, trimmers moved ship under coal hoist and watch aboard came back from pub to batten down and wash down Lancing was on regular run with Steyning, Goole to Brighton Gas Works Portslade winter time three trips a fortnight once did six weeks without a night in port, good payer though. Saw a new Lancing about three years ago loading at a jetty near Colwyn Bay.

andwilliams
14th March 2014, 22:47
I knew I'd missed one or two from my list-there was also the James Rowan from the CEGB fleet, and the Tarring from the SC fleet. Apologies for that,
but after 30 years it is amazing what you can still remember from then, if you concentrate hard enough.
I am also starting to remember some of the shore based staff at the Newcastle Collingwood Street office at that time-
The M.D.- Mr H W Turner,
Senior Admin Ms. Lillian Ward and Ms. Doreen Wright,
Senior Accountant Mr. Crozier,
Insurance Mr.Ramshaw,
Agency Ken Gilholm and Alan Morton,
Ship Management Captain Rochester,
Superintendents Bob Bunn and others,
Accounts office Mr. Lear,
Chartering (cargo) Mr. Ross and Allan Waters.
Chartering (vessels) Mr Geoff Willey and his boss.
and many others whose names I cannot remember in Personnel, Stores and Victualling, Typists, Computing departments, plus the assistants in these departments,and lowly clerks like me, plus the tealady and commissionaire receptionist.
The office moved to Eldon Square shortly after I had left.

There was a guy called Rasmussen who used to sort the trips out - a good bloke

andwilliams
14th March 2014, 22:51
Hi all-sailed on the Dallington,Donnington and the SC owned Lubchem.All good crowds and ships.Usual coaster conditions though-loads of hard work and little pay but good times.
Kev

I did a trip on the Lubchem - cabin just above the oil pumps - never slept for three months!

andwilliams
14th March 2014, 22:55

Regards,George

An abiding memory of Bill Dowie was has Fiat 127! fast little car but he got some stick!

andwilliams
14th March 2014, 23:12
I joined the Storrington on its maiden voyage - malcolm burke was Ch Eng - what a man! I recall making loads of stuff like deck cranes etc and painting everything bright yellow! happy days...

IBlenkinsopp
17th March 2014, 18:15
Which O.M. took the Storrington out on its maiden voyage?
I joined as mate in August 1982, the OM was Neil Ramsay, loaded three grades of sand for North Shields, there after mainly Ming Ming to R'dam/Esbjerg. Malcolm Burke was chief, but I think Bill Dowie was there for a while, Capt. Adair relieved Ramsay at some point. Peter Hewit was the guy who followed me. I did a few more trips on the Storrington, with Mel Arkley and I think Don McCloud, mainly CEGB runs but a couple of trips to Portugal and North Spain. I was on the Durrington with Ramsay when we went astern over mooring buoy in R'dam, two weeks dry dock after that, a pleasent break from 5 and 5 about.

Ian B.