HMS Herald

Bob S
30th March 2005, 13:44
The “Hecla” class survey vessel HMS HERALD (A138) photographed as a hospital ship at Portsmouth during August 1982 on her return to the UK following the Falklands conflict.

Paul Murphy
20th June 2005, 01:26
Hearld hectae and Hydra. Hearld and Hydra are now Bligh and sommerville and gave two years tied up along side in Waterford ..while doing some mapping worrk. Neither changed much except for a few coats of paint and a basket ball loop on somerville. Believe them to be operating on the north west cost of Ireland on some more mapping work.For more info contact danny siggers On the RNCA site.

Abbey Hill
23rd July 2009, 10:25
Hearld hectae and Hydra. Hearld and Hydra are now Bligh and sommerville and gave two years tied up along side in Waterford ..while doing some mapping worrk. Neither changed much except for a few coats of paint and a basket ball loop on somerville. Believe them to be operating on the north west cost of Ireland on some more mapping work.For more info contact danny siggers On the RNCA site.

Somerville now appears to have been scrapped. Check out Shipspotting.com under scrapyard ships Somerville.

Stevo
23rd July 2009, 13:08
Both were scrapped at Alang in 2004

Abbey Hill
23rd July 2009, 18:44
Both were scrapped at Alang in 2004

Thanks I had no idea where they were scrapped but there was a very good photo on shipspotting.com. I was aboard HMS Hecla in about 1980 at Portsmouth as I knew the Captains daughter !