BP Fleet News Cartoonist

DAR
6th September 2007, 11:27
Does anyone remember the name of the cartoonist who worked for the Fleet News between 1970 and 1975 and would he contactable? I'm trying to trace a copy of one of his cartoons that I cut out and kept but unfortunately have lost. I always wish that they had been amde into a complete book.

Vital Sparks
21st September 2007, 11:23
I remember either Nick or Tim Strickland submitting cartoons around that time but can't remember which.

derekhore
3rd November 2007, 15:03
Wasn't Tim a Sparky and Nick a C/O within the Company, brothers too!!

Not that that helps about the cartoons!! :D

Richard Gough
11th December 2007, 23:02
Good day David

I have recently joined this site and no point in being idle.

Can you let me have a description of the cartoon.

I have majority of the Fleet News that were issued between August 1969 and June 1985 and will look up the cartoonist for you.

If I can find the cartoon then chances are all ex BPTC can share the memory

Richard

paul0510
12th December 2007, 09:36
If you start sharing your Fleet News with us, Richard, we won't let you stop!!! We are all up for BIG grabs!!

Richard Gough
12th December 2007, 21:49
Paul

I expected a great deal of interest in the Fleet News and the information and stories that they contain.

I have and have agreed to work with Graham (Wallace) in identifying more of our comrades from BPTC for the splendid work that he has compiled so far.

As you realise I have just discovered this site and will be able to start assisting with any information that I can find in my papers.

For your information there were 187 Fleet News printed between August 1969 and June 1985.

However the last one is numbered 186 as there were two numbered 146 (December 1981 and January 1982).

I am missing 32 of the 187 so I have a comprehesive number.

Therefore if any one has copies of numbers 2 to 5, 14 to 32, 34, 38, 40, 58, 61 to 63, 86 and 88 then I am willing to add them to my collection. Originals will be ideal, photo copies are acceptable. It is possible that some of the missing ones are still unfound in the loft at home.

I am still reading the threads and will no doubt be able to make comments in due course.

Richard

offcumdum sanddancer
20th December 2007, 14:57
Hello Richard, I well remember you from Britannic house when I worked there briefly in recruitment branch in '79-'80. Hope you are well. Do you keep in touch with any of the other inmates of personnel? Reading the threads will take you hours and hours and hours, and you will waste? much many good hours here as there is so much to read.
Keith

david freeman
20th December 2007, 16:46
Does anyone remember the name of the cartoonist who worked for the Fleet News between 1970 and 1975 and would he contactable? I'm trying to trace a copy of one of his cartoons that I cut out and kept but unfortunately have lost. I always wish that they had been amde into a complete book.
Have you tried contacting BP Shipping of Today and ask your question? someone may help.

Richard Gough
20th December 2007, 19:27
Keith

Thanks for message and nice to hear from you.

I am well and I am sure that many ex BPTC staff will recall me for good or not so good memories when I was in Fleet Personnel. Sending seamen away to sea, persuading them to go, is often not a pleasant task. Looking for that last placement prior to Christmas was always the hardest.

I am still involved in Crewing and some years I have had to result in placing who ever was willing to travel and finding out on Boxing Day just how many were 'Christmas Crackers'.

I am sure that everone has come across them at this time of the year.

This site is certainly a great user of time and in due course I hope to make contributions based on my experience.

Broadly since Fleet Personnel split up in early 1986 and contracted their staff out to Agencies, (and I was one of the last to close the door that year), I have had little contact with ex Personnel folk.

I wasc in contact with Ken Anderson a few years back when we were looking for a Superintendent at Union Transport. I met Bob Goodall who went to the IOM in 86 at a conference in London about 2 years back.

Was there any one in particular that you can recall?

Regards

Richard

DAR
23rd December 2007, 23:07
Richard,

I've just returned home yesterday from my three month trip and have seen your very kind offer. If I remember correctly and it was 30 odd years ago the cartoon in question was two uniformed officers standing together with a supertanker in the background. The wording went something like ''if more of out officers were that tall then all our ships would look bigger''.
At the time the cartoon was reputed to be about me as I am only 5'2''.
Kind regards and a Merry Christmas.

David.

Richard Gough
27th December 2007, 18:45
David

Thanks for reply and I will take the next few days to search for the Cartoon and hope it in in one of the Fleet News that I have.

I sailed with one Master when I was an apprentice who needed a box to stand on so he could see over the taff rail. Unfortunately it was the apprentices task to move the box when he wanted to move from the port wing to starboard wing. It was hilarious when arriving in port. Fortunately for me I ended up taking the bridge movements and the junior apprentice was given the task of 'box movements'.

I wonder who was the shortest Master in BPTC?

Richard

DAR
27th December 2007, 19:22
Captain Mountain, British Destiny 1970, was at my eye level.

On the British Corporal there was a twelve inch high wooden walkway built along both bridgewings so that a previous height restricted Master could see over. It was great for me as well.

connie
28th December 2007, 00:48
hi richard if and when you find the time, would it be possible for you to send me the cartoon, of the second cook and baker? if memory serves me right it is of a baker kneading breadrolls, whilst dreaming of a womanns breast,s always remember the grocer saying the cartoonist must have a high opinion of secondv cooks as his cartoon fitted us to a t, regards and thanks con

Richard Gough
28th December 2007, 17:25
Connie

I think I have spooted this one when searching for DAR's cartoon.

If I recall it was one in the series of 27 'What is a......' where there is a very accurate description of the rank. I think they were submitted by an officer who served on the FORTIES KIWI. His identity was finally revealed just before the series came to the end.

As you say he had some ranks down to a t. The Second Cook and Bakers is great but you need the text to obtain the full flavour of the cartoon

I do not think there will be any copyright on reproducing these articles if I give full credit to the author / article. If some one can advise, then all I need to do is set up my office scanner and we can all comment on the cartoons

Richard

tillo
30th December 2007, 18:30
Gentlemen…
Going off the subject of fleet news for a moment but as a couple of you were Situated or stationed at Britannic House in the ‘Good old Days’ of the 70’s and early 80’s I hope no one will mind this enquiry…
When I first joined BP (early 70’s) I was first interviewed by a catering Superintendent, whose name has escaped me these many years,
I remember him as always being well spoken of by everyone who had dealings with him, for good or bad reasons.
If you were called on for a ‘Boll--kin!’ you got a ‘Boll--kin’… (because it was probably deserved) but he was always fair and you seemed to part as the best of friends, as though you had been mates since birth…
He was affectionately known as ‘The scourge of the Tanker boys’ by those interviewed for Cooks courses, as those of you who knew (or know) him will understand why…
Myself; I only had one ‘summoned’ run-in with him, after a particular bad trip with an over eager/pompous ‘Grocer’ who (you know the type) knew every-thing and yet knew bug—r all, Resolution it was, year of '77’.
If this grand Gentleman from Head office is still this side of the bar, he will be of greatly advanced years, but it would be grand though, to have any information possible of him…
T/y..
Tillo

Vital Sparks
24th January 2008, 11:56
The "What is a ..." series was a written by "YMSC" (Your most secret correspondant). The first and most accurate of these described the life and times of the Radio Officer and could only have been written by one. The remainder were written from the perspective and prejudices of a Radio Officer. I think Mr Strickland drew the cartoons and the other Mr Strickland was the secret correspondant, but which was which?

mACAROON
28th January 2008, 00:38
The "What is a ..." series was a written by "YMSC" (Your most secret correspondant). The first and most accurate of these described the life and times of the Radio Officer and could only have been written by one. The remainder were written from the perspective and prejudices of a Radio Officer. I think Mr Strickland drew the cartoons and the other Mr Strickland was the secret correspondant, but which was which?

ahhhhh YES, MR GOUGH. I can tell you the correspondant was Tim Strickland . I was on the Coltair the old man was a temp called G. Belson a real pain and Mr Gough, it was you that repeatedly sent me back to the Gas Enterprise and its hidious steering system called AIOP with details all in french. Good days, trails of cans from PG to LEFO. I have just found this site and havent read all yet. I guess theres some good reading to come. Just for all's info I sailed on the Britsh Valour Seafarer, Poplar, Flag, Merlin, Tamar, Esk, Trent, Commerce, Argosy, Patience, Ranger, Reliance, Explorer, Gas Enterprise, mv Coltair and some more I cannot recall at the mom.
regards.

mACAROON
28th January 2008, 01:09
David

Thanks for reply and I will take the next few days to search for the Cartoon and hope it in in one of the Fleet News that I have.

I sailed with one Master when I was an apprentice who needed a box to stand on so he could see over the taff rail. Unfortunately it was the apprentices task to move the box when he wanted to move from the port wing to starboard wing. It was hilarious when arriving in port. Fortunately for me I ended up taking the bridge movements and the junior apprentice was given the task of 'box movements'.

I wonder who was the shortest Master in BPTC?

Richard

Well Richard,
I have just found this site and your quote as far as i can recall was an OM called C.D.Brown his Mrs was a french model - stunning. He was on the Britsh Seafarer and exactly as you say the box moved back and fore on the bridge wing. We use to liken him to the road runner going from one bridge wing to the other - a blurrr of speed then up on the box. Heres what happened -- we were just anchoring off the Terschelling Bank, Brown was a blurr from the chart table ( checking where we were anchoring ) to the bridge wing. 6 shackles in the water called the mate on the radio. Anchor on the deck called the mate. Brown was back at the chart table, I happened to look at the chart at the same time and notice we had anchored on a red line. Why have we anchored on top of the main telegraph line from Holland to the UK I asked ? The brain engaged and the road runner effect took on blurr of ectoplasm with thoughts of hooking the cable-- achor up Mr Mate - slow. Aye Aye Captn. By this time I had gone to the bridge wing and was looking over the side, the OM was on his box. 3 shackles in the water Captn said the mate. Just at that time a load of cardboard and stuff came driffting by and I thought it prudent to point out to the OM that it could be telephone directories. At that point his life expectance shortened as well -- he was not happy and blurred off to the starboard side exclaiming something or other about sparks.. A great ship and crew. Dont suppose you put classic cases on this site but thought it worth a mention, as they say - guess you had to be there.
Davies.

derekhore
28th January 2008, 12:40
Having sailed with Tim Strickland a couple of times....as well as meeting up with him when I was on leave and he was on a Sparky course at Plymouth Nautical College, (mini-bar expenses to BP via the Holiday Inn!), I would say that he could most certainly have been the correspondent as he had a real sense of humour!! :D

I have never met Nick so cannot pass any comment on him!

DAVELECKIE
28th May 2008, 19:52
Tim Strictland is definately your man!
Tim was a former Radio operator I sailed with on several occasions, his brother Nick was a third mate when I sailed with him.
I last worked with Nick on the Forties Delta production platform.
He had transferred over to BP Pet Dev and became a Production T ech, he was still working there when I left BP at the end of 1995.
Cartoons etc regularely appeared throughout the Forties, in fact he was responsible for a regular comic newsletter that was enjoyed by all including Platform management and even higher tiers in Aberdeen etc!
It was an anonymous publication but Nick was definately the man!

Dave

Roberth1
2nd June 2008, 16:24
Keith
I too was in Britannic House at this time on the cew team project with Dave Rundle who I have just read passed away in 2006.
Robert Hodgson (Ex C/E)

DAVELECKIE
2nd June 2008, 19:21
Bob Hodgson
Nice to see your posting, recognised your name straight away.
Sailed with you as Leckie on two or three ships if my memory serves me "right".
Dave Edworthy

Roberth1
3rd June 2008, 10:20
Dave
Nice of you to remember me
Kennet, Dart,Pioneer???
I cannot remember which one
Old Age
Robert

DAVELECKIE
3rd June 2008, 10:53
Bob
Definately Dart and Pioneer.
I did approx 3 or 4 "straight" trips on the Dart and one on the Pioneer out of Skaramanga[Greece] drydock and if my memory serves me right one on her under the Iranian flag.
All the very best to you.
Dave

kevin1506
15th June 2008, 11:28
hi was on the dart in 1975 kevin cook from hull

kevin1506
15th June 2008, 11:30
also did the pioneer then again with the name change the shoush

Red Baylis
13th July 2008, 17:51
Bob Hodgson
Nice to see your posting, recognised your name straight away.
Sailed with you as Leckie on two or three ships if my memory serves me "right".
Dave Edworthy

Is this the Bob Hodgson who had the J/E cabin, next to mine, on the Br. Officer? (I think) in the early 60's, Red Baylis.

richardc
21st July 2008, 21:19
Hi Red,
I think we sailed together on the Officer, would have been june 65 to dec 65, I was a N/App at the time. If so there's a photo of you in my gallery going ashore at Aden with the 2nd Eng. I think we also sailed together on the Seafarer in 69.
Regards,
Richard.

Patalavaca
21st July 2008, 22:33
Have just read this thread and I am not sure if anybody has posted the BP description / cartoons you refer to.
If not, and so long as copyright is not an issue , I have four of them in good resolution - all very sharply observed and funny.
Please let me know if :-
a) I can post them
or b) if somebody would like a copy .
1) The Ships Master. 2) The Seagoing wife . 3) The Second Cook and Baker ( kneading dough and dreaming of boobs ) and 4 ) The Third Enginner.

If Richard Gough has any others that you could furnish me with I would be most grateful. ( Richard, I think you were in crew personnel in 1973 - 1975 , if so , I remember you , but you won't remember me !)
Regards, Rick (Thumb)

neillg
2nd August 2008, 23:01
Gentlemen…
Going off the subject of fleet news for a moment but as a couple of you were Situated or stationed at Britannic House in the ‘Good old Days’ of the 70’s and early 80’s I hope no one will mind this enquiry…
When I first joined BP (early 70’s) I was first interviewed by a catering Superintendent, whose name has escaped me these many years,
I remember him as always being well spoken of by everyone who had dealings with him, for good or bad reasons.
If you were called on for a ‘Boll--kin!’ you got a ‘Boll--kin’… (because it was probably deserved) but he was always fair and you seemed to part as the best of friends, as though you had been mates since birth…
He was affectionately known as ‘The scourge of the Tanker boys’ by those interviewed for Cooks courses, as those of you who knew (or know) him will understand why…
Myself; I only had one ‘summoned’ run-in with him, after a particular bad trip with an over eager/pompous ‘Grocer’ who (you know the type) knew every-thing and yet knew bug—r all, Resolution it was, year of '77’.
If this grand Gentleman from Head office is still this side of the bar, he will be of greatly advanced years, but it would be grand though, to have any information possible of him…
T/y..
Tillo

Would that be the Late and Great John Nicholson, Catering God at Panic House? I am afraid I have to emphasise the "Late" part, I recall he died back in the mid to late 80's.