QE 2 or QEII

Banni
6th September 2007, 19:46
According to the Scottish Sunday Mail last Sunday the QEII will be saying goodbye to the Clyde on 20th S:confused: :confused: ept 2007, yet the Cunard website states she will sail into Greenock on 5th October 2008. Does anybody know what one to believe? It will be a wonderful sight either way.

boysandy
7th September 2007, 11:30
the ship is coming to greenock container dock at 7am on 20september yes it is schedeld for 5october 2008 as well i think this is its last port before it goes to dubia sandyboy.

meechingman
7th September 2007, 18:42
Definitely QE2, not QE II. They were very explicit about that when she was named (I got the whole class to watch ithe launch at school. My Dad told the teachers it would be the end of a shipbuilding era and the last truly British liner.) "2" because she was the second Queen Elizabeth, not "II", as that would have named her after our present monarch.

Enjoy her homecoming to the Clyde guys, I hope it gets some decent coverage down here in Sassenach-land.

Andy

Amblejohn
10th September 2007, 15:16
Today, I have received an invitation to the official welcome party on board the QE2 next Sunday the 16th of September when she visits the Tyne.
It is not possible to explain the emotions I am presently experiencing. I was interviewed at Stag Lines offices, in sight of where she will berth, in 1967, the year she was launched. Now to be going aboard as a guest after 40 years, and on what will probably be her only visit to the river, has got to be one the greatest honours I could ever imagine.
I know it is an honour, and probably undeserved, but I shall go representing everyone who ever went to sea, and bursting with pride at being allowed to do so.

gdynia
10th September 2007, 15:31
Amble Lad makes good plus a Staggie as well have a great day .

Richie two
15th September 2007, 13:25
Queen Elizabeth 2,, is sailing past Flamborogh Head, around 1130, sunday the 16th September,, as I was lucky enough to sail on her as a passemger last year, I shall be on that head Binoculars and camera,,and with a lot of sadness,, as we are losing one of the finest ships afloat,somthing we should be very proud of, cheers Elizabeth hope your well cared for in you retirment you deserve the best Richie two Hull Yorkshire.

Trevor George
19th September 2007, 12:47
Definitely QE2, not QE II. They were very explicit about that when she was named (I got the whole class to watch ithe launch at school. My Dad told the teachers it would be the end of a shipbuilding era and the last truly British liner.) "2" because she was the second Queen Elizabeth, not "II", as that would have named her after our present monarch.

Enjoy her homecoming to the Clyde guys, I hope it gets some decent coverage down here in Sassenach-land.

Andy

Hi Andy,
I would not be supprised if there is no national TV coverage of this event,(MAD) (perhaps local TV may do somthing) The "fluffy media" can't be bothered with British success stories, look at the diesel land speed record by JCB a brilliant inovation in engineering & design, yet nothing on the 18.00hrs news.

Trevor

Pedro Baptista
20th September 2007, 17:32
40 years ago, she was launched... :)

Cheers!

Pompeyfan
23rd September 2007, 20:55
In all honesty, it she is neither QE2 or QE11 but Queen Elizabeth 2.

Like everything in life, society has the habit of shortening everything often without the permission of those concerned. And I am as guilty as the rest!.

David

PS many people refer to me as Dave, but I have never asked anybody to call me that. They just do. Shortening Queen Elizabeth 2 without asking is no different.

non descript
23rd September 2007, 21:29
Thanks Pomp. (Jester)

ps. Your useful input is appreciated.

Peter4447
23rd September 2007, 22:13
Should'nt that have been "Ta Pomp"

Peter(Jester)