Channel Islands

TonyR
9th September 2007, 08:32
Anyone around who was in the British Channel Islands ships (subsidery of Coast Lines) in the early 60s ? I spent a bit of time in the Alderney Coast and the Jersey Coast. The Guernsey Coast was sunk after a collision with the Catcher while on passage St Peter Port to Portmouth with a cargo of tomatos.TonyR

billyboy
9th September 2007, 09:38
Afraid i can only remember the Orselina and the St Earnest which brought tomatoes or potatoes into Newhaven. Seem to recall the St earnest sank and cauliflowers were being washed up on the south coast beaches.
I have no idea of what became of the Orselina though. I almost sailed on her too!

TonyR
10th September 2007, 02:53
Billyboy you brought memories back when you mentioned Saint Earnest, she was owned and manned by the Allan brothers who brought her from Gibralter if i am not mistaken.
We, the crew of the Alderney Coast, got on well with them and spent many many a happy hour in the Neptune Bar with them in St Peter Port. We sailed together one morning us to R'dam and they to Alderney to load cauliflowers. it was while we were in R'dam we heard she had been lost with all hands. Commodore shipping named one of there ships "Allan Commodore" in memory.

gil mayes
10th September 2007, 10:14
Tony & Billyboy
SAINT ERNEST (ex Arran Mail-54)was bought by Allen Shipping Line Ltd from Serra Bros Ltd, Gibraltar. Denny built in 1936 at 137grt and 95ft reg length with twin Gleniffers she was really unsuitable for Channel operations. She disappeared in heavy seas, 18 Jan 1962 on loaded passage Alderney - Newhaven with a five man crew.
ORSELINA (ex Ebbrix-60, Brixham-40) 258grt/1938 was owned by Hazely Ltd, London at the time.
Gil.

billyboy
11th September 2007, 01:25
Tony, Happy to have brought back a memory for you.
Gil, thanks for the data on these two ships.

Doxfordman
11th September 2007, 01:49
There is a pic in the gallery somwhere of St. Ernest. The story was she was hit by the SS France but never proved, the France being on passage from Cherbourg. When the France arrived in New York there was allegadly marks on the bow consistant with impact damage. It was a foul night and although very young at the itme I do remember the incident. I seem to remember the name of the engineer Paul, it was his first trip - poor soul.

I remember the Orselina - she of the many belts fame!

Wern't the Allen and Norman commodores, the ex Chafinch and Bullfinch??

I remember they had Polar Atlas engines.

TonyR
11th September 2007, 05:20
Thanks for all the info chaps. I have tried to find the picture of Saint Ernest in the gallery but no luck so far. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.TonyR

Doxfordman
11th September 2007, 05:42
Just posted a pic in the Coasters section of St Ernest at St. Peter Port, Guernsey.

TonyR
11th September 2007, 06:16
Kenny, having trouble sending private messages. Thanks for your message, TonyR

TonyR
11th September 2007, 06:21
Yes Doxfordman thats her. i always remember the trawler type whale back on the fo'csl head, unusual for a non fishing vessel TonyR

billyboy
11th September 2007, 08:16
Thanks for posting the picture. thats her all right. Remember some of her many visits to newhaven. the crew were very friendly with the crew of the orselina.
Seem to recall overhearing a radio message from the St Earnest to the Orselina. concerning a young lass from newhaven...Enough said about that!

billyboy
11th September 2007, 08:22
Ruud has kindly put a picture of the Orselina in the coaster gallery.

Jacktar1
18th September 2007, 18:37
Is there anyone around who knows about, or remembers that company ? I sailed on the "Roqauin", Capt. Dan McFaul, way back in the 1950's.
Cheers

R58484956
19th September 2007, 17:09
Onesimus Dorey & Sons Ltd, North Quay Guernsey.
Fleet list 1952/3
Belgrave 1938 1076 tons
Fermain 1924 1088 tons
Lakewood 1919 570 tons
Portelet 1930 946 tons
Rocquaine 1943 965 tons
Sarnia 1923 711 tons

doug rowland
12th October 2007, 22:10
Sarnia became Hardale when sold to Hargreaves Coal & Shipping in the 50's(run by Comben Longstaff) I spent many hours making a model of Hardale which was entered in Model Engineer exhibition in 1959! Pictures of both ships are in galleries somewhere.
Doug

Ian C
13th January 2008, 11:42
Anyone around who was in the British Channel Islands ships (subsidery of Coast Lines) in the early 60s ? I spent a bit of time in the Alderney Coast and the Jersey Coast. The Guernsey Coast was sunk after a collision with the Catcher while on passage St Peter Port to Portmouth with a cargo of tomatos.TonyR

I served with BCIS co on all their ships as 2nd ans 1st mate between Sept 62 and 1964 . When Guernsey Coast was lost the Chief Eng was also lost as he went back to his cabin to get his papers. The Alderney coast Skipper was Stan Palmer and then Jack Healy. Jack was master of the Guernsey when she went down and lost his ticket as a result. Later he was skipper of the Isle de Serk running between St PP and Sark. Ian C

Doxfordman
16th January 2008, 05:35
There is a name from the past. Jack Healy - he was master of the Isle de Serk for many years, Irish man from memory.

TonyR
19th January 2008, 06:34
Hi IanC, Good to hear from you. I think our paths must have crossed a few times, yes Jack Healy was an Irishman and a gentleman.He gave me a job and signed me on when others wouldn't. i have always been indebted to him.
It was only yesterday as i was browsing through some old National Geographic films when i came across him at the wheel of Isle de Sarc taking the Dame home to her beloved island.
I sailed with Stan Palmer too, I heard many years ago that he had a nasty accident and was invalided home to Harogate.
Ron Hanson was another skipper i sailed with, he sacked all deck crowd on New Years Eve, enough said of him.
As for the mates I sailed with i remember John Parks and little Willie Trainer and "Silent Baines" were three i remember, I remember the faces of others but sadly age is taking a toll on the memory.