im lost.

NORDICA
10th September 2007, 21:01
had a look at pics on the gallery and keep coming up with a tanker berth at finnart? it cant mean the on on loch rannoch can it? it seems a long way from the open sea and none to easy to navigate either for the like of the birit renown! can anybody help?

Mick farmer
10th September 2007, 21:37
Finnart is on Loch Long pipeline to Grangemouth

NORDICA
10th September 2007, 22:46
is it still used? i used to stay in arrochar and cant ever remember the place to be honest!

Tailothebank
10th September 2007, 23:22
is it still used? i used to stay in arrochar and cant ever remember the place to be honest!

The Loch Long tanker berth is near to RNAD Coulport and HMNB Clyde, at Faslane, in adjacent Gareloch, if that helps.

VTR1000
11th September 2007, 00:57
You'd have a job getting a rowing boat out of Loch Rannoch!

janathull
11th September 2007, 06:27
When I was with B.P. we used to go to Finnart a lot especially on the C class, it was an awful place, except for payoff cant rember ever going ashore there.
Cheers Jan.

gadgee
11th September 2007, 10:18
Some comments on Finnart here : -

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18959/si/finnart/what/allfields/whenterm/y

Do a search in Gallery for Finnart, there are a lot more!!

GeorgeM13
11th September 2007, 13:49
Hi all,
Finnart was a good run ashore, taxi into Helensburgh where there were plenty of pubs and to top it off the "Blue Trains" into Glasgow and the world is your oyster. The taxis used to come right in to the terminal and drop you off at the end of the jetty. Different days now though.
Maybe I am slightly biased as in my latter years with BP my girlfriend who later became my wife lived in the central belt near Grangemouth.
Products are now loaded at Finnart it saved on the costs of shipping round the North of Scotland to get to Belfast etc.. Also a line was laid to Bowling for Esso.
George

NORDICA
11th September 2007, 13:51
looks a pretty desolute place to be honest. i love the countryside but that must of been hell!

drynet
11th September 2007, 16:56
The first trip that I made was on the Splendour in 1961 left Wallsend for Port Bonnym (Sweltering heat) then Finnart (Freezing cold) got home for a day.
Drynet

NORDICA
12th September 2007, 01:45
i suppose its ok if you live up that way but for the rest of you poor sods it must of been awful. i mean not even a pub!

GeorgeM13
12th September 2007, 11:38
Was it any worse than IOG that was miles from anywhere and had no scenery.
George

NORDICA
13th September 2007, 01:40
very very true. i over look grain (Across the estury) and i always wonder if anyone live on the pile of mud as my son calls it!

janathull
13th September 2007, 06:22
I didnt mind Grain. There was a village there and I think a couple of pubs, I think one of them was Ivys. Cheers Jan.

GeorgeM13
13th September 2007, 08:17
Things to do when alongside at Finnart for two months;
part one: go for a sail in a lifeboat.
The view from the British Trident's lifeboat looking up Loch Long. There are others who post here that were on that trip.
George

Hoppy
6th November 2007, 13:31
I didnt mind Grain. There was a village there and I think a couple of pubs, I think one of them was Ivys. Cheers Jan.

The other Pub was the Hogarth

offcumdum sanddancer
6th November 2007, 15:25
The other Pub was the Hogarth

The other was the 'Cat and Cracker', named after the catalytic cracker at IOG refinery.

mark theobald
20th November 2007, 16:53
i joined my first ship there as a 16 year old deck hand on the respect on a very cold dreary september day in 1980 spent 6 weeks there freezing my butt off

jAdUwallah
21st November 2007, 15:44
The other was the 'Cat and Cracker', named after the catalytic cracker at IOG refinery.

The Cat and Cracker, thanks for that, I've been trying to remember that for years. Staggered out of there a few times.(Thumb)

jimmyjenk
22nd November 2007, 00:59
I can't believe the suggestions on this thread about Finnart being somehow remote and desolate. It's only 33 miles from Glasgow ! Garelochead is just over the hill, with a choice of pubs, Rhu and Helensburgh are just a taxi ride away. I'll have you know from 1960 to 1977 Helensburgh was the centre of the world !! IOG was ok as well - Allhallows ?
There must be better candidates for misery.

David Andrews
23rd November 2007, 10:38
Joined a Shell tanker, SS Anadara, at Finnart. It was an absolute nitghtmare to get there as I live(d) in Aberdeen. No easy route across Scotland, from Aberdeen to Finnart!!!!!

jimmyjenk
25th November 2007, 10:02
Joined a Shell tanker, SS Anadara, at Finnart. It was an absolute nitghtmare to get there as I live(d) in Aberdeen. No easy route across Scotland, from Aberdeen to Finnart!!!!!

C'mon David, it's two trains and a taxi ! Hardly Michael Palin stuff.(A)

David Andrews
27th November 2007, 12:55
Fair enough but my Dad wanted to see what I did so he drove me and there is certainly no motorway. Picturesque but not an easy drive.