Nowshera and Nyanza

japottinger
16th September 2007, 19:56
I served my eng. apprenticeship at Scotts' of Greenock when they were building the above two ships. This included marking off the turbine casings for machining of the grooves etc for the blading the engines of the first of the pair, and then a spell on the installation of the machinery on the next.
Lovely ships, like to hear from anyone who sailed on them. (By the way had a successful interview to join as Jun eng., on completion of app., but potential of two years on the Indian coast put me off, so happened that with Brocklebank I was little better off)

Brian Leaf
19th December 2007, 22:43
Served in Nowshera 3/e. Eastern service 1969/1970. great ships good runs.
Great guys. Lovingly looked after your turbines. like to think you did a great job and we kept up the standard

David Davies
20th December 2007, 09:15
Served in Nowshera as 3/0 on the home line in the late 50s, great ship and fine crowd. Particularly enjoyed my real calling, looking after the horses we carried. By the way Eastern Service was two and a half years with 20% pay increase and no income tax. They got me in the end!

jactaa
22nd December 2007, 19:26
I was posted to Nowshera as a first trip cadet in the late fifties, joining at Sunderland.
On arrival at the Royal Albert Dock I was shifted across the dock to Nuddea to look after 9 horses being shipped out to Karachi.
8 mares on the port side and a lone black stallion on the stbd side. My, was that stallion wild throughout the voyage.

Don

tom e kelso
25th December 2007, 21:21
Don,
Do I detect the surname "lakri"?
If so, my best regards, and the complimets of th season to you and Suzanne
Tom

Bison
30th December 2007, 09:11
Tum lakri lakri tum

Once heard never forgotton

regards Bison

jactaa
9th January 2008, 11:45
Don,
Do I detect the surname "lakri"?
If so, my best regards, and the complimets of th season to you and Suzanne
Tom

Tom
Your surmise is correct.
Belated compliments of the season.

My return to the site has been in abeyance over this long holiday period.
Cards from David Hammond and Neil Hayward complete the Tairea link

Don

shipmate17
9th January 2008, 12:30
Hi,
I put a great photo of Nyanza in the gallery the other day.
cheers
shipmate17

Ian6
9th January 2008, 13:44
I was 'standing by' a tanker being built at Scotts at that time. The 'Caltex Edinburgh' was fitting out and sailed in June 1956. As a 2nd year Deck Apprentice it was a completely new experience to spend 6 weeks at a shipyard. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Greenock, including once winning on some gaming machine fueled by the old threepenny bits. Sad that not just all the shipping companies have gone but also the great companies that built them.
Ian

zelo1954
9th January 2008, 21:05
From Don: I was posted to Nowshera as a first trip cadet in the late fifties, joining at Sunderland.

Thought I might explain what these BI ships were doing in Sunderland. It was a regular run (I think from east Africa) with sisal hemp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisal) for British Ropes. The hemp is the raw material used to manufacture ropery. BI was by far the most usual company in this trade, but occasionally one of the Union Castle "R" class might come. Cannot recall a Clan Line vessel but they were likely occasional visitors too.
Cheers, Geoff

jactaa
10th January 2008, 08:37
Thought I might explain what these BI ships were doing in Sunderland. It was a regular run (I think from east Africa) with sisal hemp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisal) for British Ropes. The hemp is the raw material used to manufacture ropery. BI was by far the most usual company in this trade, but occasionally one of the Union Castle "R" class might come. Cannot recall a Clan Line vessel but they were likely occasional visitors too.
Cheers, Geoff

Within BI / P&O GCD I made many a round trip from UK/ Continent to East Africa.

The bulk of the loading from the anchorage port of Tanga was sisal.
At Sunderland the stevedores would not handle the wooden hatch covers and boards, the crew were not allowed to do this ( which suited them ) (or maybe the company were prepared to pay this cost) so there was always a separate gang to do this. Never ever came across this in any other port.

On the weekend of my joining for my first trip we had to shift along the berth to allow a launching from North Sands of a bulk carrier.

Don

japottinger
1st February 2008, 22:56
I must have seen you Ian as I spend quite a while on the machinery outfitting of Caltex Edinburgh at Scotts', and nearly joined had some time to serve before apprenticeship was finished. Where in Greenock did you lodge?

japottinger
1st February 2008, 23:14
Once when in Middlesborough on Brocklebank's Manipur I came back to our ship from a run ashore with a bunch of lads. Ever bold dragged them to the Nowshera to see a Scotts' built "real engineroom!"
We were shown round by the night duty man and then invited up to a cabin where a party was going on, we returned the favour next night when a party from the BI ship came across. Scene of one of my greatest experiences at sea , one of their engineers played a guitar and came from around Perth near what was a displaced Polish personnel camp and started to play and sing what seemed like a foreign lament.
Then our rather older 3rd Eng. jumped up and embraced him with great emotion, it turned out that the Scottish lad had learned this tune from some of the Polish refugees in nearby camps, and our 3rd had made his way across Europe to the UK in latter stages of WWII as a boy after his family had been taken to a German concentration camp. He had recognized this tune as a traditional Polish folk song!
He never slept in his bunk on the ship but on his settee, and took up the centre on the deck, his explanation was that he had been so scarred by his horrific experiences that he only lay down where he could jump up quickly and worried that the carpet would slip.
Great lad, we called him Ted, but his surname was Wezkdeki.

japottinger
1st February 2008, 23:16
Should say took up the carpet on the centre of the deck in his cabin