montreal built passanger/freight ships.

mrcanoehead
17th September 2007, 00:03
Do any of you remember seeing these vessels , usuall sold to south american countries, & did much trade in west indies, similar construction to those of the canadian national steamship companies vessels, canadian constructor, victor, crusader & challanger. seems to me they were doxford powered or with a Nordberg diesel, most were built 1945-1970's.

Bill Shaver

Tony Breach
17th September 2007, 10:27
I remember the FEDERAL MAPLE & FEDERAL PALM built at Montreal & Port Weller in 62/3. They had Fairbanks Morse engines.

Tony

mrcanoehead
17th September 2007, 22:38
Yes , I too recall hearing somthing of them being built, I thought they were built at vickers in montreal though, for inter island trade in the west indies, somthing having to do with the creation of the west indies federation that exsisted in the early 1960's after most former english possessions were given independance.

recall that in late 50's Canadian national steamships vessels durring the SIU strike were sold to Cuban GOvt, suprisingly that castro wound up owning them, hear of that, the constructor, crusadr, & challanger, along with the 4,700t parks.

Bill Shaver.

mrcanoehead
17th September 2007, 22:59
Yes , I too recall hearing somthing of them being built, I thought they were built at vickers in montreal though, for inter island trade in the west indies, somthing having to do with the creation of the west indies federation that exsisted in the early 1960's after most former english possessions were given independance. suppose they met the scrap pile in the 70's along with the ones sold to state shipping company of Veneuzala, cuiad maricibo & valencia, military there used them for transports suprisingly.

recall that in late 50's Canadian national steamships vessels durring the SIU strike were sold to Cuban Govt, suprisingly that castro wound up owning them, hear of that, the constructor, crusader, & challanger, along with the 4,700t parks.

Bill Shaver.

Tony Breach
18th September 2007, 10:50
Hi Bill,

MAPLE was built at Vickers Montreal & PALM at Port Weller Dry Dock. The owner was West Indies Shipping Corp., Trinidad & the ships were registered at Port of Spain. The Federation didn't last very long but the ships became Trinidadian (as opposed to British) & remained in service for some time & were relied by all the Commonwealth Windward & Leeward Islands for interisland passenger & cargo services. I beleive they were totally funded by the Government of Canada as a gift to commemerate the independence of the island nations.

Tony

mrcanoehead
18th September 2007, 21:52
Do you remember how long they lasted in service before they went to scrap... Visiting here in Trinidad on the hospital ship comfort & comments around beers have come up about them along with former canadian national, Saganay, & other canadian owned vessels that come through here. this being ashore amongst locals, as no one on here has a clue of anything outside the us...

GEORDIE LAD
18th September 2007, 22:11
In another life in Nassau in the early 60's,I recall a company called Canmar that brought in a lot of goods to the Bahamas.I can't remember any names of the vessels......Doug

mrcanoehead
19th September 2007, 00:53
i like that , { in another life}...
Canmar had all cp's ships under their banner as i reall, having seen them in montreal at shed 53-56, over the years, the cp name was deleted & canmar with what ever name, recall seeing one or two of them while in us navy stopping at Hamilton Bermuda along with Cast.

Tony Breach
19th September 2007, 22:02
Hi Bill,

Just looked in Miramar. MAPLE was deleted from registers in 1997 & PALM was renamed CENPAC ROUNDER in 1976 & scrapped at Pusan 06.06.79.

Tony.

mrcanoehead
19th September 2007, 22:37
interesting they lated that long for a seagoing vessel, sure they were made in a different fashion as from todays vessels, too bad , but thats economics for you, vessels that are soon to the breakers after 10-15 years instead of 30-40. Know some others were built there & wer sold to Veneuzala yaers ago, their military had a few, they've since been cut up or sank, seem to recall seeing some of those older mtl built vessels in montreal at bickerdyke pier unloading & loading, cuban & west indies reggistry. Yes the Palm & maple were gifts, hoping the federation would work, well in this day & age of global trade may make things work ironically, but at whose expense we'll just have to wait & see.

mrcanoehead
19th September 2007, 22:39
what is miramar, a registry like Loyds...

K urgess
20th September 2007, 00:16
Miramar is here (http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/).
Just type in the name of the ship and press return.

mrcanoehead
20th September 2007, 02:30
(A) Thank you sir will do on many looking for....just curiosity sake.

mrcanoehead
20th September 2007, 15:37
wow... just checked out the miramar site on a few old names & boy... came across several built at vickers from 1945-1960, all for export mostly 4,700t refers & pasanger cargo vessels, for columbia, Veneuzala, chile & peru, not to mention france & belgium as well. seems the la Coubre was built at vickers as well, this is the one that was sabotaged in cuba by cia spies, on account it had arms for castro, ironically it returned to montreal for repairs afterwords...The older Canadian Constructor cruiser were picked up by the cubans & renamed Corando benetez & Manuel auscion , recall seeing the two in montreal at bickerdyke pier several times later years looking worse for wear...All the older steam powered { some were tripples or skinner uniflows}4,700t parks all went to Bilbo Spain in 65 for scraping, recall some telling me they were hot & unpleasant vessels to work. the modern 4,700t motor vessels had either fairbanks, nordbergs & in some cases a doxford on them. some may have even had the MLW Version of the alco 451's ,thanks was just looking for pictures on the net of many of these older vessels.

Too bad this was not kept up at vickers could have been a growing industry there recall several who worked there, & was hoping it'd be a place of employment for me, or shipping out of montreal on international voyages , not just the lakehead as one trip was enough found out... would have liked to work english on or bermudan registries , just to travel around the world.. instead wound up working for american outfits & doing the military cargo runs along with their version of RFA, which in the end has a reliable pension plan & a 50/50 split on cost of health insurance, somthing that might come to pass for the entire populace soon...we hope. anyhow love your site, sitting down reading all the entries here while visiting in Port of spain, lots of Dark & stormy's & just relaxing while here, staying out of trouble too.

hawkey01
21st September 2007, 11:37
You possibly already know about this site but if you want to find old pictures of ships try the following.
www.photoship.co.uk - a vast collections.
Hawkey01

mrcanoehead
23rd September 2007, 06:24
thaks a whole lot on that photograph site.. Durring my stay here in Trinidad{ Port of spain & chamaragus}, talked to many who remember the federal plam & maple over the years, a gift from the canadian gov't to the west indies federation . to bad it failed, maby it was set up to fail , who can say, but the vessels did yeoman service for inter island trade, & facilitaed many things, so stories went from some people local.

As for the hospital ship & its good will, its progressing along, wish there were a few more humanitarian missions from elswhere in the world on here like OXFAM, CARE, UNICEF, maby even break the ice with Venezuelan & cuban doctors on here, It'd silence the detractors that the us is only interested in its own self. Sorry thats not to be talked about here, but its a picture of the huminitarian voyage of the Comfort.. Next Stop Guiana & Surinam.

Bill Shaver.