Best Iced coffee in the world.

ian keyl
17th September 2007, 02:01
No doubt many of us have memories of the food we tasted around the world and the bars we have drunk in ,one thing i can always remember was my morning iced coffee. whilst alongside in Klong Toey Bangkok ,i would go ashore in the morning before we started to load cargo at the change of shift and take the draft. Under the flare of the bow was a sanpan with a little old lady doing the best iced coffee in a poly bag, lagy band as handle and a straw. On the Hope and Kitlan we would have about 3/4 days discharging then move to midstream to load.
The old dear would have my coffee ready ,she would take a big block of ice from under some rattan mats covered in sawdust , dip it in the river to wash off the saw dust then chip away some chunks and putthem in poly bag. then camp coffee escences hot and then cony anny milk , boy! was that refreshing and for next to nowt. AS no doubt many can remember what used to float down the river besides the dunnage girls but we never died from anything ,some had near misses from other foreign bodies but that was all in a days work. Tomorrow the tale of a raw 7th engr from Tyneside who tried to bring a girl back on board whilst in B'kok.

Rgds Ian.

Roddy Munro
21st September 2007, 00:11
Hi Ian,
Dont think your iced coffee would beat a shot of the monkey brand for a jump start in a Bangkok morning.Happy days.
Cheers

ian keyl
21st September 2007, 15:53
Hi Ian,
Dont think your iced coffee would beat a shot of the monkey brand for a jump start in a Bangkok morning.Happy days.
Cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Roddy who are you going ,its good to hear from you again. Are you still on the west coast doing your trips for the tourists. The monkey depends on the vintage if the label is dry then its old but if its slipping down the bottle then it is new and will kick like a donkey and if you are sick over your new shoreside shirt it will bleach it white in seconds.
The gallons that must have been drunk in a night from the Venus and Mossie must have been huge. The coke to go with it was also a vast amount .

The good thing was if your ship was alongside it was'nt too far to stagger but if in mid-stream there was always the chance you would fall in the river getting into the speedo or fall in going up the gangway.

Some great nights up the road.

Take care, Best Rgds Ian.

Ali Bain
21st September 2007, 18:35
Ian, I hope you disposed of the poly bag properly and did not throw it in the river as was the usual practice. We used to make sure all the juniors were well trained for changing over generators when they started to overheat. This was usually caused by assorted poly bags and "other" perishable items which found their way into the sea suction strainers. A very enjoyable run ashore as I recall :-)
Regards-Ali. Bain.

ian keyl
23rd September 2007, 01:20
Chusan, Ali yes its morning, You should know us Ben line lads better always a clean ship . Once got summoned to see Capt MacMasters marine super in S,pore (known to deck side as" Hank the Yank"). He had received a complaint from a master of a blue flu v/l which was entering Bankok and we were leaving but we tipped two drums of galley rubbish over the Alfie Holt house flag which we drapped over the side The third mate weed on it but it was only the cadets that were summoned..
We had stolen the flag the previous night whilst she ways lying in midsrteam we went on board and blagged our way past the shoreside night watchman.

Hank gave us a right bollocking and said not to tip rubbish in the river as that was against the law but to keep up the Ben spirit of dishonouring other companies.

Back to the poly bags, as you may remember the Thai dockers would leave thier old poly drink bags attached to anything ,winch control handles ,hatch cleats , hand rails, and all over the inside of the hatches in the highest parts of the spar ceilings,door cleats.
As cadets nearly always had the job of clearing them up you had to burst them first with your "three rivers bowie knife" as usaully there was liquid still in them and you never knew if it was orange or pee . It was a crap job.
So there we go Ali, always a spell of clearing up.
It never stopped you from having a go at the 5"s", A Sh**,Shower, shampoo,shave and a Sh**.

Rgds Ian.

john fraser
23rd September 2007, 02:53
Aly.
Didn,t they fit cages over the inlets when the ships were in Bangkok. I remember a diver used to be employed to position them on arrival and then before sailing he used to remove them. Had a run through Garmouth today. it hasn,t half grown since my uncle was the coal merchant there.
Off back to the Gulf of Mexico tomorrow.

EBenarty
24th September 2007, 00:21
Aly.
Didn,t they fit cages over the inlets when the ships were in Bangkok. I remember a diver used to be employed to position them on arrival and then before sailing he used to remove them. Had a run through Garmouth today. it hasn,t half grown since my uncle was the coal merchant there.
Off back to the Gulf of Mexico tomorrow.

Aye John they fitted meshes over the intakes, I remember saying at the time
it was a waste of time as the meshes would get clogged up and sure enough the divers had to be called in after a day . Have a good trip and avoid the Hurricanes !!!
Billy(==D)

Joe Freeman
29th September 2007, 00:04
When I read about the Ploy bags that the locals carried around with them in Bangkok. It reminded me of a time on Benvalla in the sixties when I was a junior engineer. For some reason I was about to remove the diesel generator sea water cooling suction strainer for cleaning to remove the poly bags that would get past the rusted outside screens. Just as I was about to swing the lid clear the donkeyman started yelling No, No, No, he took his cleat and swung the lid clear to reveal a 12 inch sea snake shoot our of the box and into the bilge. That was the last time I ever attempted to clean the sea suction strainers. I never found out what happened to the snake, he probably had it for dinner.
Joe.