Wreck of HMS Myngs found

SteveCT
17th September 2007, 15:07
Hi all,

For those of you who have read Diver Magazine you will have noticed that there's a news article about the discovery of new wrecks in the Red Sea and one of them was a WWII ex British Destroyer called HMS Myngs that was renamed El Qaher when it was transferred to the Egyptian Navy.

I was very lucky to have been invited on this expedition and I've managed to take some great video.

Here it is and I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/Shipwrecks/HMSMyngsElQaher/index.htm

Steve

Barmyclaresdad
17th September 2007, 17:16
As you say excellent video and excellent vis.
As a matter of interest what was the depth?

SteveCT
17th September 2007, 18:33
As you say excellent video and excellent vis.
As a matter of interest what was the depth?

It was 22 meters to the bottom.

Steve

vectiscol
17th September 2007, 20:53
Fascinating, Steve. My Dad worked at JS White's shipyard at Cowes, IOW, where HMS Myngs was converted for the Egyptian Navy. I can remember the ship when as El Qaher she returned to Cowes circa 1963 for a long overhaul.

SteveCT
17th September 2007, 21:57
Fascinating, Steve. My Dad worked at JS White's shipyard at Cowes, IOW, where HMS Myngs was converted for the Egyptian Navy. I can remember the ship when as El Qaher she returned to Cowes circa 1963 for a long overhaul.

It was a lovely dive.

Steve

robandbarbara
18th September 2007, 00:14
Thought this photo of the Myngs in Portsmouth as Egyptian Navy El Qahir might be of interest.

Rob

robandbarbara
18th September 2007, 00:16
El Qahir

nhp651
19th September 2007, 11:56
A lovely and so peaceful piece of video. a far cry from so many years ago, when she met her fate. a fitting tribute, and well done. may I ask what was the backing music? thanks.

SteveCT
30th September 2007, 13:55
A lovely and so peaceful piece of video. a far cry from so many years ago, when she met her fate. a fitting tribute, and well done. may I ask what was the backing music? thanks.

The backing track was "Trail of Tears" by Clannad.

Steve

nhp651
30th September 2007, 15:34
thanks Steve.neil.

AncientBrit
9th October 2007, 03:14
Nostalgia indeed. I was transfered from Indefategable to Myngs for duration of the Spithead Revue in 53. Thanks for sharing that

Coastie
9th October 2007, 06:07
She was a proud looking ship. What happened to her, why did she sink?

Coastie
9th October 2007, 06:09
Don't matter, I've clicked on the link and everything's explained! Can't see how to start the video though.(EEK) (EEK)

SteveCT
8th November 2007, 22:05
Nostalgia indeed. I was transfered from Indefategable to Myngs for duration of the Spithead Revue in 53. Thanks for sharing that

Well a production company have now released a video of the Red Sea expedition that I was on and made it available on Amazon. It includes the video of HMS Myngs amongst other dive sites.

Egyptian Red Sea - Volume One:Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCUBA-Dive-Egyptian-Red-Sea/dp/B000YEO5FI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1194555838&sr=8-3)

Steve

SteveCT
8th November 2007, 22:08
She was a proud looking ship. What happened to her, why did she sink?

The Israeli Air Force bombed her in 1970. All the guns are pointed in the same direction so we know which direction they came from and judging by the spent ammo lying around she went down fighting.

Steve

Abbeywood.
13th August 2009, 13:48
Hi all,

For those of you who have read Diver Magazine you will have noticed that there's a news article about the discovery of new wrecks in the Red Sea and one of them was a WWII ex British Destroyer called HMS Myngs that was renamed El Qaher when it was transferred to the Egyptian Navy.

I was very lucky to have been invited on this expedition and I've managed to take some great video.

Here it is and I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/Shipwrecks/HMSMyngsElQaher/index.htm

Steve

When serving my apprenticeship in the fitting-out dept, 'Myngs' was under repair and overhaul at J.S.White's, Cowes, prior to her sale and transfer to the Egyptian Navy, circa 1957-58.

If you Google 'Destroyer HMS Myngs' there are several links for you to try.
Regards,Abbeywood