Uncle John and other Houlder Offshore Vessels

Geoff of Hull
17th September 2007, 20:58
Hello everyone just to let any old officers and crews know,that up to 18 month ago John Houlder was looking as fit as a fiddle.
I was at a Houlder reunion in Newcastle and JH flew himself in from London to Newcastle at the age of 91 I believe after coming over from Argentina or Uruguay. He made a speech and certainly had it all there and spared a hand shake and yarn with all Masters and AB's.
Incidentally I served on Oswestry Grange,Clerk Maxwell,Hornby Grange,Orelia (1st)Orelia (now still working) and Uncle John,as well as the Pacific Northwest. Geoff of Hull

non descript
18th September 2007, 19:26
Yes Geoff, it seems that at 91 he is a lot more on the ball than most of us and I will be only to happy to have half his ability when I get to his age.

I had to do a little thinking about that last ship you mentioned (whilst not a proper Maltese Cross, I am sure she was was fine ship none the less (Jester) ) - Built in 1954, sold in 1971 and re-named Aegis Power, and scrapped in 1974

Geoff of Hull
18th September 2007, 20:16
I too was with Houlders when the take over took place most likely read the same letter as you how they were increasing the fleet immediately with the transfer of the "Pacific Wasa" to the fleet.Then the dark days.
I am presently sailing with some ex Houlder men as I was with the "Uncle John" when she went through various change of hands as well as the "Orelia" from Houlder offshore hence the reunion with big John and the guys of the Maltese cross

marinero
19th September 2007, 09:39
Hi Geoff.
If there is to be another "Houlder North Sea Reunion" will you post the details as I would like to attend. It would be nice to see some old faces.
Regards.
Leo(Thumb)

Geoff of Hull
19th September 2007, 14:08
Hello Leo..I believe there should be one this year in the New Forest area previous ones were in Newcastle but to even it up they said down south.
Will try and find out, it may be difficult as I have recently changed address but will definately be trying most likely when I get home after this trip..If you can remember any names will try and remember who was there I will post a group photo on the site once again when I get home...Geoff

marinero
19th September 2007, 16:01
Hello Geoff.
Would appreciate that group photo. Names well!!! my memory isn't what it was but I'm sure Kevin Campbell was there.
Willy Vermullen,Mike Mitchell,Mike Waterton,Angus Davidson,Danny Harrington are other names I remember from the Offshore side of things.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Geoff of Hull
19th September 2007, 20:46
Hi Leo...old Danny well I was with him the day he retired at the grand old age of 67 and he was still asked back after that to go as HLO..He was last seen walking around Aberdeen docks 18 month ago he was reminiscing and had travelled up from South Wales for the day out.
I still keep in touch with Norman McSween and some of the others at the reunion are .Mick Bowlen.Robby Dowsing,Keith Summers,Davy Wilkins,The Wrexham rat,Little Reg (electrician)Ian Scott Some of the guys are still on the "John "but working in the US gulf for CalDive she is sample drilling

marinero
20th September 2007, 10:51
Hi Geoff.
Those names brought back some memories. Do you remember these names from the Catering Dept. Garry Jones,Dave Cheeseman,Tommy Mckenna,Malcom Gardner. The Uncle John had a superb name for the standard of catering on board. Wonderful memories.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Magnus Flaws
22nd September 2007, 12:02
Were any of you on the Dundee Kingsnorth, was on her for the last month of building in Finland and then to Stavanger and then to location for Conoco

Geoff of Hull
24th September 2007, 20:43
Hi Magnus...I was not on the Dundee kingsnorth..But I think Cyril Stainton was and maybe Davy Meech I have not seen them for years though..same as George Simpson saw him last about 12 years ago in Northern Marine offices..Geoff

marinero
26th September 2007, 19:34
Hi Magnus...I was not on the Dundee kingsnorth..But I think Cyril Stainton was and maybe Davy Meech I have not seen them for years though..same as George Simpson saw him last about 12 years ago in Northern Marine offices..Geoff

Hi Geoff.
Last saw Cyril Stainton on KUK, Dave Meech as Deck Foreman on High Seas Driller. I think George Simpson is working ashore in Aberdeen.
Regards(Thumb)

JohnMac068
28th September 2007, 16:05
Hi Geoff.
Last saw Cyril Stainton on KUK, Dave Meech as Deck Foreman on High Seas Driller. I think George Simpson is working ashore in Aberdeen.
Regards(Thumb)

George was'nt at the last UJ reunion (2005), but he was at the previous one in 2002. At that time he was working for a paper company, around Inverurie somewhere.

Geoff of Hull
4th October 2007, 22:51
Hello John..Do believe George Simpson is Personnel super with the outfit I am with but on the drilling side..Technip..Northern Marine ..the old Stena drilling..Am trying to dig the reunion photo out but having just moved house may take some finding...

Geoff of Hull
26th October 2007, 20:40
For all the interested people who have been in touch with me about the reunions have been informed there will not be one this year but maybe next year..I have been asked to let people know through the site any details that may be planned ...Asked if John Houlder was still around and as far as they know he is ...Geoff

marinero
27th October 2007, 11:28
For all the interested people who have been in touch with me about the reunions have been informed there will not be one this year but maybe next year..I have been asked to let people know through the site any details that may be planned ...Asked if John Houlder was still around and as far as they know he is ...Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff, keep in touch.
Regards(Thumb)

robbie13
30th October 2007, 00:13
Hi joined the site today,would just like to say hello.I was on Uncle John in the catering staff 1982-86 great days.Worked on nights with Murry MacCloud.
Would like to let you all Know Tommy Mackenna Died last year.
All your names bring back happy memories to me,thanks.

Geoff of Hull
1st November 2007, 20:46
Hello Robbie sure it wasn't Murray Hessleton he was camp boss whilst I was there..on deck there was Norman Mcsween,Danny Harrington,Simon ?good days ..ocm were Nick Bowen and Mike Bolan

JohnMac068
1st November 2007, 23:11
Hi joined the site today,would just like to say hello.I was on Uncle John in the catering staff 1982-86 great days.Worked on nights with Murry MacCloud.
Would like to let you all Know Tommy Mackenna Died last year.
All your names bring back happy memories to me,thanks.

Sorry to hear about Tommy, he was on the "Oregis" with me, and then on the "Uncle John" always cheerful, plenty of chat, great guy. I seem to remember that Murray MacCloud (McCloud)? was night Cook on there. Mike Boland was Master from 1977 to the sale to CalDive, mid 1990s.

robbie13
3rd November 2007, 11:31
was defo Murry McCloud,myself and Steve Morgan as night steward.Gunter was also on her,main man me thinks.
Is that Simon MacAdam you mean,Geoff.
What a time we had in Hamburg dry dock,fantastic.

marinero
3rd November 2007, 12:14
was defo Murry McCloud,myself and Steve Morgan as night steward.Gunter was also on her,main man me thinks.
Is that Simon MacAdam you mean,Geoff.
What a time we had in Hamburg dry dock,fantastic.

Hi Robbie.
Welcome aboard. I remember Murrey McCloud very well, in fact Night Cooks did not come much better than him. He trained quite a few of Houlder's young Galley Staff who did very well for themselves. Steve Morgan ended up as Chief Cook on the Shelf Driller(Explorer) then he retrained through Transocean as a roustabout and is now a Crane Op. on a gas platform off Yarmouth( The last time I was in touch).
Regards(Thumb)
PS Sorry to hear about Tommy, knew him in the early days on "Oregis"

Geoff of Hull
5th November 2007, 20:53
Hi Robbie..yes it was Simon mcadam,both him and his father were at the last Uncle John reunion..
There are still a few of us Uncle John people about working "Technip" which is about the 3rd name change of the company since houlder offshore went..To name but a few with Technip...Sam Angay,Robbie Dowsing,Keith Summers,Willie Jackson,Ian Liddle,Simon Mcadam,Andy Hood,Murray Hessleton,Dave Wilkins has just retired,Dave Kirsley ,Jim Watt,Jim Davis,Tony Duck. sure the must be a few more still working for Technip..Hope you remember some of them

robbie13
5th November 2007, 22:25
murry trained me,i went on to be nite baker on a few houlders rigs kuk, shelf ,transocean leader, to8.
ye steve did well,i was his best man at his wedding.Is that Sam the crane driver Geoff,what a nice guy.Is he still doing his rope weaving i still have one he did me must be 25yrs old now.

cliff self
20th December 2007, 21:08
Just been reading this thread, and a lot of the names spring to mind!
I worked on the UJ under "Murray Heseltine", (a first class Chef in my book).
I was a steward at the time, and "Robbie", i know you, and i remember we couldn't speak to you if Liverpool lost(==D) .
"Leo", you know me well, would be good to see you again one day.
"Geoff", were you the welder on "Transocean Discoverer"?
I ended up as Night Baker on "Transocean Explorer". Then fancied something different and shifted to the deck/drilling side. Eventually worked as Derrickman on "Shelf Explorer" / "Leader" before deciding to try my hand ashore. That was 4 years ago, and yeah i do miss "the game", but i don't think i would return now.
But memories, oh yeah (Thumb) !

Geoff of Hull
21st December 2007, 08:33
Hi Cliff ...just got me in time..arrived back in the UK yesterday from India were Technip (old Stena offshore) have quite a bit of work..
I was Crane driver up to her last trip in the North Sea..got off 2 days before she layed up in Rosyth...Murray has done 2 trip with the unit I am on this last year for a week or two filling in he works for ESS now.Regards Geoff

Chedds
3rd March 2008, 00:14
Hi Cliff

Dave Cheeseman here, what a nice surprise to see your name, had lost track after all these years, would love to hear from you.

ChandlerBird
14th August 2008, 13:08
Hi Robbie.
Welcome aboard. I remember Murrey McCloud very well, in fact Night Cooks did not come much better than him. He trained quite a few of Houlder's young Galley Staff who did very well for themselves. Steve Morgan ended up as Chief Cook on the Shelf Driller(Explorer) then he retrained through Transocean as a roustabout and is now a Crane Op. on a gas platform off Yarmouth( The last time I was in touch).
Regards(Thumb)
PS Sorry to hear about Tommy, knew him in the early days on "Oregis"

Murrey McCloud went on to High Seas Driller as Chief Cook about 1984-5, worked with him as second cook. No one could make better scones than him. A real gent, and yes everyone went to him for baking advise.

robbie13
4th September 2008, 20:50
hi Dave how are you,still doing your Comwell thing?
Ye Cliff your right about the Liverpool thing hehe

lennoxgordon
27th October 2008, 23:42
my husband works in K. UK and DUNDEE UK. his name is len lennox-gordon. he was a roughneck and h.l.o
anyone recognise his name?
cheers

lennoxgordon
6th November 2008, 13:17
anyone knows canadian directional driller rick reid? any information? let me know please.

guinnessmick
29th April 2009, 00:13
Cyril Stainton's brother Bill is a good mate of mine and he told me that Cyril had to stop drinking or it would have killed him he still goes to the pub but drinks orange i think he retired from the north sea a few years ago

George Simpson
4th June 2009, 10:42
Greetings all ex-UJ and Houlder guys. Yes I am still alive I found this place by accident. I left Stena/NMM in 2003 and I am presently employed as an HR Manager at a paper mill outside Aberdeen been here for 5yrs. I say presently as I the place is closing down with the loss of 400 or so jobs, so I will be in joining the ranks of the unemployed soon. For all those who remember me I hope your all doing in both health and wealth. I hear from cuddles (Alan Smith) now and then and the occasional email from a few others.

Take care.

non descript
4th June 2009, 15:47
George, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first two postings on here; do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage (Thumb)

Geoff of Hull
5th June 2009, 07:41
I still remember the day I was interviewed by Margie at the office in Clydebank and you came down to see me 15 or so years ago and we talked about old mutual friends who were in Houlders previous deep sea fleet Thats when I ended up on the UJ until her lay up in Rosyth,before joining the Orelia for 7 years.You will find quite a few names who subscribe on here,ie Dave Meech,for one ..
Enjoy your browsing and hope if we have another reunion for the UJ we can meet up..
Geoff Johnson " rem clough" (G O M )

George Simpson
5th June 2009, 09:09
Hi Geoff as you say there's a good few names I recognise from the past, Dave Meech was working on the Stena Spey when I was the manager at Stena Drilling. John Mac if you read this note I was there 2005 but only for the first night I took Willy Vermuelen down in my car. For those of you who may know Willy his son John was killed in an accident in Singapore on a Maersk rig earlier this year, he was a good kid worked for me at Stena for a while to. As for the rest of you reprobates I hope your all doing well!

BOB.WHITTAKER
7th June 2009, 00:15
Hello there George,Bob Whittaker here ex Uncle John.Very sad news about John Vermuelen, I was on the Shelf Explorer (Driller) for some 4-5 years in 91-96 when he was onboard,a very pleasant and coscientious young bloke. Hope you are O.K. , might see you at the naxt U.J. reunion.whenever or wherever. Cheers, Bob Whittaker . P.S. Had a phone call off Joe Sharkey yesterday (5 June) and off to see the one and only J.H.Puckett in Brixham tomorrow.

Geoff of Hull
7th June 2009, 06:53
Nice to see your into the thick of things already George..On the Norman Macsween job I was still in regular contact with him until about a few weeks before he died it was strange for me as when I phoned him as usual after a trip his phone was disconnected and I never found out until I read on this site he had died..Another one I cannot get hold of is Big Danny Harrington,after sailing with him for 7 years on the "Orelia" and being with him on his day of retirement I have not been able to trace him as he moved from his last abode back into Swansea,and got himself a little job for Menzies delivering the newspapers I heard,then he was seen in Aberdeen wandering around the docks on a day out of recollection of his past etc ..That was Danny all over he could not stand being away from it all,hope if anyone reading this thread knows anything of him could enlighten me of his health and where abouts I would appreciate it..

George Simpson
7th June 2009, 10:23
Hi Bob nice to hear from you send my regards to Jerry.

George Simpson
7th June 2009, 11:26
Hi Geoff, I last spoke to Danny just after he retired I got his number from his ex-wife Carol but lost it. I will try to see if I can get a hold of her number again and see if I can get an update. As for Norman as I said a true gent. By the way I do remember chatting to you after your interview I cant remember the face but I do remember talking to you after Marge finished the interview. I hope the weathers better in the GOM cos its freezing here!!

George Simpson
7th June 2009, 11:29
Hi Bob sorry about the short reply I was running around like a headless chicken. Anyway glad to see your alve and kicking can you pass on my regards to Johnny Cash aka Joe. As for John yes it was sad I talked to Willie and Johns wife not long after the accident she lives in Spain with their 2 boys.

Take care

George Simpson
8th June 2009, 16:14
Good news I just talked to Danny Harrington he is alvie and kicking and doing very well thank you. Anyway I emailed his wife details of this site and hopefully Danny will work out how these dang computers work and drop you all a note.

Geoff of Hull
9th June 2009, 14:38
Pleased to hear Dannys well George....If you search hard enough you will find a picture of him and the crew of the Oregis after the grounding off the Tyne Piers or that area on this site ..They tell me Simon Langley is out here in the Gulf you should remember him to,also I am in touch with Andy Smith crane operator if you remember him ?

George Simpson
9th June 2009, 14:56
Hi Geoff, I remember both Simon and Andy more Simon though as we worked together for a few years when he first came in to the offshore game.

If you have any spare sun over there can you post some over? The world gets global warming and Scotland gets an ice age, typical!!!!!!

George Simpson
10th June 2009, 22:29
I remember lennox from booth dkn and kuk a very quiete guy a good profesional roughneck new more than most drillers.

I hope your well.

lennoxgordon
14th June 2009, 22:54
hi! george,
my husband was happy that you remembered his name. he said that he worked with lots of good guys. and few wasters.. he is doing fine. he enjoyed working in the rigs. he started on the oil business when he was 36 and finished when he was 46 and now he is 68.. still working!! he is married to a 30 yrs old and has a 2 yrs. and 10 month old boy.. he has a 42 yrs old daughter and 27 yrs. old son..
take care

bazza54
7th July 2009, 13:11
Hi Everyone.I joined the UJ in Oslo while she was being fitted out as Night Cook. Stayed until Nov 1980. Chief Cook was Gary Jones and I remember a lot of the names that were there at the beginning.

George Simpson
7th July 2009, 13:15
Hi bazza I guess we must have worked on the UJ as I joined her in Peterhead in 77 and left in 85. Your name may jog the old memory? Leo Hannan is on here from time to time.

bazza54
7th July 2009, 14:17
I don't remember too many names but here are some. Mike Bollan.Dave Cheeseman,Danny Harrington, Lachlan McGuiness, it all seems so long ago now. I was on the Dundee Kingsnorth and the Oregis as well.

bazza54
7th July 2009, 14:23
Hi Dave, Don't know if you remember me Barry Wheaton. we were on the UJ together. Are you still doing the Sealed Knot thing?

George Simpson
7th July 2009, 14:32
Hi bazza if you look around one of the Houlder posts has a photo of a UJ reunion in North Shields, Sam Angay is in the photo you may remember him. I talked to Danny Harrington a couple of weeks ago he is alive and well in Swansea and still working. I was 3 years on the DKN Northsea and West Africa Derek Brand was the OIM (ex-Oregis).

bazza54
8th July 2009, 10:44
While i was on the UJ i lived in swansea and Danny Harrington and Gary Jones [chief cook] and myself used to hire a car to travel from Swansea to Aberdeen on a regular basis.

captmabr
15th October 2011, 09:43
Not sure if any of the guys still pick up on this thread.
I am looking for some old pictures of Uncle John to put on a picture imaging screen as a Christmas present to my very old friend Ben Blyth.

Ben's not been keeping all that well lately but we hope after next visit he is going to be fine again. he talks a lot about his days as Chief on the UJ when she first came into service.

(Willy Brown)

BOB.WHITTAKER
18th October 2011, 07:19
Hi there Willy Brown, I have a couple of interesting photographs, one of The Uncle John straddling the two drydocks at Smiths North Shields and one of a Hedemora V18A ,that one should strike fear in anyone that spent time in the engine room, email me mail@bobwhittaker1.plus.com and I will try to send them on to you, I think Kevin will have some early shots of Uncle John also. Spoke to Boland a couple of days ago,no change there !!!! Hope you are well good to see your name on the screen, all the best, Bob Whittaker.

handybilly7
18th October 2011, 13:34
Willy check this posting out it has a wimpey sealion/UJ photo.

peter3807

New skipper arriving by basket transfer from Uncle John to Wimpey Sealion. Heavy weather. I missed the shot when he landed, we took a big one and we all know what happened next. We got him dried out eventually.
Date: Wed, 10 September 08 Views: 160
Tags: 1 Filesize: 92.1kb, 83.9kb Dimensions: 800 x 650

Additional Info
Keywords: Supply Boat, Basket Transfer

ALAN TYLER
19th October 2011, 11:36
Hi Willy, I posted a photo of the UJ/Oregis on the Houlder Offshore thread a while back. Its when they were both on the Tyne together, its post no23. Oh happy days Alan.

BOB.WHITTAKER
31st October 2011, 21:44
Ex Uncle John personnel be aware "The Great White" SHARKEY has surfaced again and is circling the net with "A Ring Of Fire" ,he's still Warbling. All the best Joe, Bob Whittaker.

GARYWHITE
10th December 2011, 08:01
Only found this site by accident looking for Fred Woodings

ALAN TYLER
14th December 2011, 14:20
Only found this site by accident looking for Fred Woodings

Welcome to the site Gary, sailed with Fred many times. Unfortunately not aware of his whereabouts now but I,m sure someone on the Houlders threads will know. Regards Alan

JohnMac068
14th December 2011, 22:37
Sad news received today, that Danny Harrington passed away on the 19th.November. A well known member of the Houlder community, both deep sea and offshore. One of the finest seamen and men that I have ever met. A sad loss to all who knew him.

ALAN TYLER
15th December 2011, 14:52
Sad news received today, that Danny Harrington passed away on the 19th.November. A well known member of the Houlder community, both deep sea and offshore. One of the finest seaman and man that I have ever met. A sad loss to all who knew him.
Indeed a sad day Danny was a gentleman, it was a pleasure to have known him. Deepest sympathy and condolences to his family.

marinero
15th December 2011, 19:41
Sad news received today, that Danny Harrington passed away on the 19th.November. A well known member of the Houlder community, both deep sea and offshore. One of the finest seaman and man that I have ever met. A sad loss to all who knew him.

John/Alan, that was indeed sad news. I had an e-mail from Kevin Campbell informing me of that. Danny was a wonderful shipmate and well liked and respected by everyone who worked with him. I shall let Cheddar and Jonesy know. "God Speed Danny"

Regards

George Simpson
18th December 2011, 11:34
Very sad news I talked to Danny a few months ago he never said a word about his cancer. In fact we talked about him coming to Aberdeen in the spring.

God speed Danny

BOB.WHITTAKER
18th December 2011, 21:13
I first met Danny in 1976 on " Oregis " , a true gentleman my condolences to his family. Bob Whittaker

GALTRA
18th December 2011, 21:33
Very saddened to hear of Danny's death. Knew him while he was on the Oregis also. A fine man in every aspect. May he rest in peace. Charley

norsea
18th December 2011, 21:56
Sorry to hear of Danny`s passing.My sincere condolences to Danny`s family.
I sailed with him in Oregis in the `70`s together with Magnus Tulloch, John MacAdam, John Rodgers,Mike Waterton.Jim Griffiths and also Ted Rogerson, Jackie Scotland, Jimmy Gray. All the names are listed in a notebook which Mike W. and I passed on when being relieved. I still have the book after 30 odd years.
Best Regards
Angus Davidson

Geoff of Hull
19th December 2011, 08:32
RIP Danny...The last time I saw him was a sad day for him.".His retirement" The "Orelia" was an empty place without him,He would have gone on and on and on if he had his way..
Even turning up at Aberdeen to walk the docks just to reminisce ..
A fine man,and an inspiration to anyone new on the job..

No doubt you will be having a yarn with your old mate Norman Macsween at this moment .
Geoff Johnson

leigh ashton
5th January 2012, 20:57
R.I.P, Danny a nicer bloke you could not meet.

handybilly7
6th January 2012, 13:05
Sorry to hear of Danny`s passing.My sincere condolences to Danny`s family.Many years have passed -- but I remember Danny as a real gentleman--always ready to share and help others and the very best to be sailing with.

JohnMac068
3rd February 2012, 15:06
More sad news, I'm afraid. John Houlder passed away late last night. Most Houlder people will know of him, and most Offshore folk will have seen or met him on numerous occasions. A fine, brilliant man, who always looked after "his people" to the best of his ability. God speed JMH.

BOB.WHITTAKER
3rd February 2012, 16:19
Very saddened by the news about John Houlder , a very astute and clever man . Bob Whittaker

captmabr
3rd February 2012, 17:43
I think now we should make an effort and get back together, anybody told Ben, he has all the contacts.
Willy B

leigh ashton
3rd February 2012, 19:55
R.I.P. John Houlder.

GALTRA
3rd February 2012, 20:38
Sad to hear about John Houlder, what a man, forever young. May he rest in Peace.

saltyswamp
3rd February 2012, 22:34
Only met the man once

John Houlder RIP

Stuart

George Simpson
5th February 2012, 10:30
Sad news indeed he was a Good man.

George

ALAN TYLER
6th February 2012, 16:14
Deeply saddened to hear of John Houlders passing. Had the pleasure to meet him a couple of times. Strangely remember his passion for fruit jelly as a sweet!! May he Rest in Peace knowing that all those who worked for him truly felt part of one big family.

rob mcc
10th February 2012, 02:11
having worked for houlders for anumber of years and seeing some of his inovations it is only in passing that you can see what a great talant he had RIP

isaacoomber
8th January 2013, 05:22
Great post!
Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks,
http://www.waterton.ca/Tours.cfm

Steve Clapton
9th January 2013, 05:30
Great information you are sharing. Looking forward to reading more information about this.

thanks,
http://www.welovephuket-thailand.com/things-to-do-on-phuket/activities/diving-and-snorkeling/

artfulroger
20th January 2013, 13:06
Hi to all on this forum, joined today hoping to hear any old yarns about my dad Ted rogerson

BOB.WHITTAKER
22nd January 2013, 16:27
Artfulroger
Hi there ,I knew your Dad from the Oregis (HTS Coupler 1) and The Uncle John . Also worked with rest of the Fleetwood blokes Harry Farrar / John Rogers / Stan Baker . You should get a response of a number of people that use this site,Alan Tyler /John Mac / Marinero. Cheers Bob Whittaker

ALAN TYLER
24th January 2013, 10:33
Hi Artfulroger, Yes like Bob I remember your dad from the Oregis/ Uncle John days, one of the regular guys from the Fleetwood clan. Sorry I can,t remember any actual stories as I was in the catering department.

markrogerson
27th January 2013, 03:07
ok our kid, i could tell you a few yarns about ted,how about the jacket under the stairs,the one with the dockers in it

norsea
1st February 2013, 21:26
Ted was in his element manning the workboat we had on Oregis when laid up off Invergordon. Trouble was we sometimes "forgot" the time when in the local hostlery and allowed the tender to ebb on, meant we were forced to wait ashore for the flood tide to refloat. Naturally nothing else for it but to return to the pub and wait for the tide. HAPPY DAYS. Kind Regards Angus Davidson

ALAN TYLER
3rd February 2013, 14:21
Ted was in his element manning the workboat we had on Oregis when laid up off Invergordon. Trouble was we sometimes "forgot" the time when in the local hostlery and allowed the tender to ebb on, meant we were forced to wait ashore for the flood tide to refloat. Naturally nothing else for it but to return to the pub and wait for the tide. HAPPY DAYS. Kind Regards Angus Davidson
Hi Angus, Do you remember the pub down near the harbour run by an Indian who used to put curry on, also the one on the main street. The one on the main street was closed abruptly one day when the landlord told everybody it was closing time. At which point everyone had to leave, trouble it was only about 7pm and he was totally out of his mind. As you say Happy days Alan.

norsea
4th February 2013, 22:49
Hi Alan, I remember the pub very well. In fact,last September my wife and I spent a holiday with Bill Paterson (Ex Engineer) and his wife Sheila in Fortrose on the Black Isle and Bill drove us round to Invergordon .I hardly recognised the area round the harbour although the pub is still there.(Didn`t get time for a visit to see if the Indian landlord was still there.) I vaguely remember the pub uptown although I usually only ventured beyond our " local" was to visit the off sales on the main street !!!! Regards, Angus D.

marinero
10th February 2013, 17:30
Alan/Angus

That pub was good for a bed for the night if you could not get back to the ship. The curry was always welcome.

Regards

ALAN TYLER
11th February 2013, 13:50
Alan/Angus

That pub was good for a bed for the night if you could not get back to the ship. The curry was always welcome.

Regards
Hi Leo, There was another pub on the outskirts of the town, I think it was called "The Windmill" if memory serves me right it was a "Poseurs" pub. Hence I rarely went !!! ps We could be heading your way next month, will keep you informed. Alan.

marinero
12th February 2013, 15:23
Hi Alan.
Can't remember the Windmill but it doesn't sound like our sort of pub, not like the one outside the dry dock gates in North Shields.
If needed Alan there's a bed for you and Ann. Give me a shout when and where you are coming to.

Regards
Leo

ALAN TYLER
13th February 2013, 11:15
Hi Alan.
Can't remember the Windmill but it doesn't sound like our sort of pub, not like the one outside the dry dock gates in North Shields.
If needed Alan there's a bed for you and Ann. Give me a shout when and where you are coming to.

Regards
Leo

Now that was a pub, " The Woolsington" Tom and Peggy were very kind to me over the years a lovely old couple. I doubt very much its still standing. Thanks for the offer of a bed but we,re staying in a hotel about 8 miles from Durham, the 4th to 8th March, will phone/e-mail you nearer the time Alan.

geoff. foxton
14th February 2013, 19:12
Hello,
Deck on Abadesa 1963/4 and Avogadro 1966 - great times on both and were both good feeders as I remember.

BOB.WHITTAKER
17th July 2013, 23:47
SHELF DRILLER / EXPLORER, for the interest of any ex Shelf Driller / Explorer hands she has now got a new lease of life as " Atlantic Amsterdam " recently converted from a drilling unit into an accomodation / hotel platform,all drilling systems and equipment having been removed. Bob Whittaker

ALAN TYLER
20th July 2013, 11:16
SHELF DRILLER / EXPLORER, for the interest of any ex Shelf Driller / Explorer hands she has now got a new lease of life as " Atlantic Amsterdam " recently converted from a drilling unit into an accomodation / hotel platform,all drilling systems and equipment having been removed. Bob Whittaker

Where,s she located Bob, no doubt in foreign waters. Alan

BOB.WHITTAKER
21st July 2013, 10:35
Alan , as I read it she was converted in Rotterdam late 2012 early 2013 and is now on the North Sea possibly in transit . BOB

BOB.WHITTAKER
21st July 2013, 11:16
ALAN , Google " Atlantic Amsterdam " for more info and photos . BOB

ALAN TYLER
21st July 2013, 15:18
ALAN , Google " Atlantic Amsterdam " for more info and photos . BOB

Thanks Bob, would have thought she,d be coming to the end of her working life, possibly the refit to Accomodation platform will extend it. cheers Alan.

ALAN TYLER
3rd December 2013, 15:27
Just watched the "Amazing Rescue" video on the Mess Deck and noted the barge Superintendent was a chap called Joe Puttnam. If memory serves me right there used to be a Joe Puttnam who worked offshore with Houlders/ Comex, wondering if it was the same person.

BOB.WHITTAKER
6th December 2013, 21:51
ALAN , there can be only one Joe Puttnam , if my memory is correct Joe was involved in in the mid water bell transfer / rescue of two divers whilst he was on the Uncle John . The amazing Rescue video is truly one to watch . BOB