Seafridge Petrel

avastbehind
22nd September 2007, 22:04
New to this forum. Trying to find more info on Seafridge Petrel, a Hull trawler built in 1973, which I think was owned by one of the wifes relatives. Any info appreciated. Thanks

Hakon
22nd September 2007, 22:59
Seafridge Petrel was one of three sisterships built in Norway for Seafridge Ltd , the other`s being Seafridge Skua, and Seafridge Osprey.They were registered in Hull and managed by Newington Trawlers Ltd. I would recommend reading Michael Thompson`s book "Hull & Grimsby Stern Trawling Fleet 1961-88" for further information.

avastbehind
23rd September 2007, 01:19
Seafridge Petrel was one of three sisterships built in Norway for Seafridge Ltd , the other`s being Seafridge Skua, and Seafridge Osprey.They were registered in Hull and managed by Newington Trawlers Ltd. I would recommend reading Michael Thompson`s book "Hull & Grimsby Stern Trawling Fleet 1961-88" for further information.

Thanks for that, I will do some more digging!

janathull
23rd September 2007, 06:34
Here is some gen on the Petrel. Built for Mapleship of Canada and Gadus of Norway and managed under the English flag by Newingtons. Delivered on 31st March 1973 and sailed directly for the fishing grounds under the command of Dennis Cawood. On 1st July 1977 she arrived in Hull for the last time with 295 tons of fillets and 145 tons of whole fish. She was then transferred to Gadus. the last record I have of her she was sailing for B.C.M. of Halifax Nova Scotia and called the Sea Petrel, this was in 1980. If you want the tech specs let me know. Cheers Jan.

avastbehind
23rd September 2007, 11:38
Here is some gen on the Petrel. Built for Mapleship of Canada and Gadus of Norway and managed under the English flag by Newingtons. Delivered on 31st March 1973 and sailed directly for the fishing grounds under the command of Dennis Cawood. On 1st July 1977 she arrived in Hull for the last time with 295 tons of fillets and 145 tons of whole fish. She was then transferred to Gadus. the last record I have of her she was sailing for B.C.M. of Halifax Nova Scotia and called the Sea Petrel, this was in 1980. If you want the tech specs let me know. Cheers Jan.

Thanks again. I understand she was renamed BCM Atlantic in 1980 and sank after hitting an iceberg 18 March 2000, with no loss of life http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2000/03/18/nsdragger000318.html

Still looking for the family connection to someone named Peter Lovell from Hull.

tenterden
25th September 2007, 15:53
i sailed on the SEAFRIDGE PETREL from 25/6/74 to 13/7/76 and also SEAFRIDGE SKUA they were great ships, but they used to roll like hell, the bunks were all athwart-ship i.e. across the ship, in bad weather one minute you were on your head, the next thing you was stood up, many of us used to sleep on our seat lockers or on the floor, i think the longest we were away was 115 days, i have put a couple of photos on this site --jerry

tenterden
29th September 2007, 09:18
peter lovell i think owned brekkes ltd of hull, his wife diane lovell named the SEAFRIDGE PETREL on the launch day 17 february 1973 -- jerry

avastbehind
29th September 2007, 16:12
peter lovell i think owned brekkes ltd of hull, his wife diane lovell named the SEAFRIDGE PETREL on the launch day 17 february 1973 -- jerry

Ah - theres the connection. My wife inherited a bracelet from Diane Lovell, which is inscribed "Seafridge Petrel - 1973" [Diane died in August this year]

Many thanks

kenhull
3rd May 2008, 08:59
My dad, Ken Hinchliffe was the Skipper of the Seafridge Petrel during the
1970's, I have a copy of the Trawling Times from 1973 which has an article about the three Seafridge vessels, Petrel hadn't been completed at the time and Newingtons were awating her arrival to Hull.
I was always led to believe that my dad had taken her on sea trials after delivery. I have his full log of all the trips he sailed on her and all of the other ships he sailed on during his life, sadly he passed away in January 1978 at the age of 39.
I'm sure he was due to take Seafridge Petrel back to sea again in April 1978 should he have still been alive, I also understand that in 1975 when he was Skipper of her, he spent approx 16 weeks at sea, fishing close to Newfoundland and other places in the Atlantic, he got a record catch, the biggest catch ever in the UK. (his nets were cut by the gunboats around Iceland, he was approx 5 miles off the coast, well within the Icelandic limits, both Newingtons and him received a fine at the time).
Janathull mentions Petrel's last trip in July 1977, I don't know if this is correct going by things I'm aware of, nor am I sure of the company she was originally built for but this is also mentioned in the Trawling Times 1973 copy which I have at home, (offshore at the moment) I also found some info that tells of her changing names from Seafridge Petrel to Gadus 2 in 1978 I think, then Sea Petrel in 1979, then renamed again to BCM Atlantic in 1980, I think she remained BCM Atlantic until she sank March 18th 2000 off Newfoundland. Please contact me for other info if I can help. Regards Ken

tenterden
3rd May 2008, 23:51
the SEAFRIDGE PETREL was built for was SEAFRIDGE LTD of norway, she was delivered to her owners on the 31st march 1973, i think the three SEAFRIDGE ships all sailed from the builders yard of aalesund on there maiden voyages,dennis cawood was the skipper on all three SEAFRIDGE ships on there maiden voyages, i sailed on the PETREL & SKUA from 1974 to 1977 -- JERRY

janathull
4th May 2008, 05:00
I have the book Hull & Grimsby Stern Trawling Fleet 1961-88 and it gives some info on the Seafridge boats. If you want the info let me know and I will send it to you. Cheers janathull