Bencruachan Maiden Voyage

EBenarty
24th September 2007, 00:09
I was a Cadet at the time on the Cruachan at Barkley Curles beside the QE 2. We looked better than her at that time with our twin yellow funnells shining in the sun. But we had a simalar but worse maiden voyage than the QE 2!!
After we set sail everyone was complaining about noises in the deckhead and poor chippy and the cadets (me included) removed the panels to find they were rife with ball bearings !!!!
Near the Canaries we had a cracked Condenser -finally made Hong Kong and found the bilges were full of heavy oil, Connells the Shipyard had not put gaskets in-we Cadets were designated to clean it up /which we did and did not get a penny compensation for the clothes we ruined.
But that is not the end of the story we finally made it up through the Dover Straits and Pilot Capt. McMillan boarded at Folkestone in thick fog - we headed up the Thames but off Sheerness there was a Russian tanker coming out and she went straght in to our port bow. Bob Shaw the Mate and Harry Nutten (Chippy ) managed to get clear of the foc'le but they were lucky men !!
Billy

EBenarty
24th September 2007, 00:25
YES Wully the pilot went on to be Harbourmaster at Scrabster !!
Billy

wully farquhar
24th September 2007, 19:44
He died,oh must be the teens of years ago Billy,he was known as capt. Mac in Scrabster,not a bad old spud!!

EBenarty
24th September 2007, 22:10
He died,oh must be the teens of years ago Billy,he was known as capt. Mac in Scrabster,not a bad old spud!!

Aye Wully he was a fine geil, he used to pilot all the Ben boats!! He did a fine job at Scrabster as weel!! He must have died about 15 years ago.
How are Wings and company ?
Billy

wully farquhar
25th September 2007, 13:31
Yes Billy, wings and company are doing fine,not a lot happening.Old Capt.Mac was buried at sea Billy,68 fathoms in the Pentland Firth,we were requested with the lifeboat to do the job,that was his wish,and the wake was something else!!!
Wully.

John Campbell
25th September 2007, 14:37
Hi Benarty and Wully, I met Capt. Mac in the Aberdeen Royal Infirmery when he was hospitalised in the 90s if I remember correctly. I was asked by his daughter, whom I met on business, and owned RAEBURN RECRUITMENT to visit him and it was an enjoyable task - he had a great sense of humour and he told me many a tale of the Ben Boats and the worthies at Scrabster. Sadly he passed away shortly afterwards.
JC