Glenfruin. Blue Funnel expert needed please

zelo1954
24th September 2007, 12:30
Folks:
On Ebay a photo of GLENFRUIN has appeared this week from Woody-IOW. Could one of the A class experts please identify this vessel as ex-ASTYANAX or ex-DOLIUS. Thanks:

http://www.raywoodmore.com/rt108.jpg

makko
24th September 2007, 15:23
I would concur that it is ex-Dolius, possibly the least photographed of the A6 class! I believe that she became Glenfruin immediately prior to her sale to Chinese interests.

Regards,

Dave

K urgess
24th September 2007, 15:36
The 1948 Glenfruin became the Astyanax in 1962 according to Miramar (http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/355453?page=1&shipname=glenfruin&IDNo=&search_op=OR&number=).
She looks to be about the right age.
The 1956 Dolius became the Glelnfruin in 1970. The almost identical picture appears here (http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/blue_funnel_home/d_boats/d_boats/dolius.jpg). So I agree with Dave.

Kris

makko
24th September 2007, 16:00
I just cannot remember, but I think that only Dolius and Menestheus had white (steel) bridges.

When we went over to Birkenhead on the bus, via the Duke Street bridge, my father would get us to try and guess which Blueys were in from their unique characteristics! If we were up in New Brighton or even Egremont, the same thing with the Blueys over in Huskisson Dock.

The Dolius was my father's favourite ship, she was basically new when he went to sea, this is why I know that there are very few photos around as Dolius! I did manage to get a very nice print from a slide that I bought on ebay and got it framed for him. The only problem was that she was portside in, at Vittoria Dock and the Old Fellas cabin was port side (engineers)!

Regards,

Dave

zelo1954
25th September 2007, 00:53
Hmm. I was expecting the opposite answer on the law of averages! ASTYANAX (57-62) spent longer in the fleet as GLENFRUIN than did DOLIUS (70-72).

Anyway here are the two vessels as Blue Funnelers:

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery%20D-J/Old%20Ships%20D/slides/Dolius-05.html

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/32334/si/astyanax

I think the design of the forward part of the midcastle identifies the vessel as Glenfruin ex-Dolius

cheddarnibbles
25th September 2007, 10:43
[QUOTE=makko;153113]I just cannot remember, but I think that only Dolius and Menestheus had white (steel) bridges.

Oh no. Sorry to contradict, but Dolius in 1959 definitely had a wooden bridge apron...because ,on my first trip as a midshipman,I spent about six weeks in a bosun's chair, scraping it back to bare wood before oiling and revarnishing it (3 coats) .

makko
25th September 2007, 14:43
Cheddarnibbles,

I stand corrected, Sir! I just cannot remember now, and I was just a kid but, as I said, the Old Fella would point out all the differences! It could get a bit expensive if I were to phone him every time there was a BF query and I thought that he may help!

Regards,

Dave

K urgess
25th September 2007, 18:19
Still think it's the Dolius.
The engine room ventilators are different on the Asyanax.

Kris

Bill Davies
25th September 2007, 18:48
[QUOTE=makko;153113]I just cannot remember, but I think that only Dolius and Menestheus had white (steel) bridges.

Oh no. Sorry to contradict, but Dolius in 1959 definitely had a wooden bridge apron...because ,on my first trip as a midshipman,I spent about six weeks in a bosun's chair, scraping it back to bare wood before oiling and revarnishing it (3 coats) .

Agree!. I went 'round the land' in her in 59. Who was the Bosun when you were in her?

Tai Pan
26th September 2007, 09:23
Genfruin was ex Dolius. transferred in 1971. I was on Dolius when building in Belfast and trip to Liverpool with Lawrence Holt on board plus others. got stuck at the bar in fog. lawrence just poked his head into radio room and told me to let them know at the kremlin that he would be late.

cheddarnibbles
26th September 2007, 10:09
[QUOTE=cheddarnibbles;153281]

Agree!. I went 'round the land' in her in 59. Who was the Bosun when you were in her?

Sorry Bill, Too long ago to remember his name. However, he was a big fella and quite a joker. He joined our New Year's Eve party in Penang on the prom deck , complete with sarong, giving 'moonies' to all and sundry,fell into a pile of empty Tetley cans and sent the lot on to the coolies loading rubber in No.4 hold.

demodocus
30th October 2007, 04:59
Folks:
Could one of the A class experts please identify this vessel as ex-ASTYANAX or ex-DOLIUS.

The engine room vents abaft the funnel give it away .... she's Dolius.

KENNEEDHAM
16th November 2007, 21:16
I would concur that it is ex-Dolius, possibly the least photographed of the A6 class! I believe that she became Glenfruin immediately prior to her sale to Chinese interests.

Regards,

Dave

Hi the Dolius changed her name in Glasgow in 1972 I think ( will have to check my discharge book) to HUNG MIEN. (I was there)

tony poutch
16th November 2007, 21:49
Genfruin was ex Dolius. transferred in 1971. I was on Dolius when building in Belfast and trip to Liverpool with Lawrence Holt on board plus others. got stuck at the bar in fog. lawrence just poked his head into radio room and told me to let them know at the kremlin that he would be late.

WOULD the DIOMED have changed her name to GLENBEG about that time also

Trader
17th November 2007, 18:21
It has got to be the "Dolius". I did a couple of trips on the "Astyanax" 1954/55. The giveaway is the position of the lifeboats. The "Astynax" had 2 either side on the boat deck. The "Dolius" had 1 either side on the boat deck and 1 either side on the centrecastle (seamans accommodation).

Trader.

jmcp
1st December 2007, 15:38
Folks:
On Ebay a photo of GLENFRUIN has appeared this week from Woody-IOW. Could one of the A class experts please identify this vessel as ex-ASTYANAX or ex-DOLIUS. Thanks:

http://www.raywoodmore.com/rt108.jpg

I was a first trip midshipman on the Glenfruin in 1962 when we sailed from London to Hamburg where the name change to Astyanax took place.. We then sailed to Indonesia for approx 4 months. Photo is not the same Glenfruin as she was a Blue Funnel A class boat