Training ship City of Lucknow (merged threads)

Ron Stringer
4th April 2005, 22:07
Sailed from late 1961 to mid '63 on Ellerman's deck apprentice training ship the "City of Lucknow". She was a Blue Ensign vessel, courtesy of the two old menthat I sailed under - Capt. Bernard Theodore Wortley and Capt. O'Neill.

Had a great time but was disappointed recently to note that the web site for several Red Duster training ships did not include her. Contacted the webmaster there who said a) that he didn't know Ellerman Lines had a training ships and b) if any of the ex-apprentices would be prepared to submit photos, anecdotes, etc., he would be prepared to add the "Lucknow" to his site. Are there still any of you out there? I wasn't an apprentice or an Ellerman employee so I don't qualify, but as you were all younger than me, some of you must have survived. Come on there.

lucknow
24th October 2006, 18:57
I was on the Ellerman Lines City of Lucknow Cadet Ship in the early 60's - Would like to hear from any other cadets undergoing training at that time. My name is Gareth George.

lucknow
24th October 2006, 19:54
Get in touch - I was on this ship in 1962/1963 as an Ellerman Line Cadet - Gareth George

danube4
24th October 2006, 22:49
Hi, Pic of City of Lucknow,
Built 1945. Wm Denny Bros, Dumbarton.
Sold 1967.
All the best.
Barney.

Sebe
24th October 2006, 23:38
I joined the City of Lucknow in October '62 and sailed on her until she was sold in late '63, along with about seven other 'first trippers' which included Norrie Leslie, John Bell, John Cole, Denis Dick and others whose names have slipped my mind - must be a senior moment!

Sebe (Colin Balderson)

Ron Stringer
27th October 2006, 08:56
Now there are two of you (yourelf and Sebe) on the site, perhaps you can get together and come up with something to add to the "Rakaia" site so that the CofL and her apprentices are not overlooked and forgotten.

Derek Hudson
9th February 2007, 01:51
I have added a picture of the City of Lucknow to the gallery today.

Ron Stringer
9th February 2007, 11:05
Thank you for the info Derek. Nice photo.

Chrislofotos
13th November 2007, 08:56
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/510/thumbs/City_of_Lucknow2.jpgI was on the City of Lucknow in the early 60's.
I'm terrible at remembering names but I do have some old photos of Shipmates that I will dig out and post. Some names I do remember are John Cole , Norrie Leslie and the infamous Bosun Brightly!
Chris Lofty

R58484956
13th November 2007, 12:51
Welcome to SN Chris. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Ron Stringer
13th November 2007, 15:21
Suggest you may like to have a look at posting #1 on this thread http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=1388

Chrislofotos
13th November 2007, 20:36
I served on the Lucknow from around 1962, I have just posted a photo of her. I do have photos of fellow shipmates, if anyone wants to contact me I can forward them on?
Chris Lofty

Sebe
16th November 2007, 21:20
Another well known character on this vessel was Glenn Waage, who unfortunately has 'crossed the bar', but is well remembered.

Sebe

Chrislofotos
3rd December 2007, 11:50
Hi Gareth

I was on the Lucknow in the 60`s, your name rings a bell; Alzheimers hasn't set in quite yet!
I still have some old photos I took back then, you may even be on them.
Please contact me.
Chris Lofty

Sebe
3rd December 2007, 13:23
'Senior Moments' are catching up, but here are some of the the names from October 1962 on the trip to US / Aussie / Continent & UK:
Ginger Brough, Tony(?) Shortland, Titus Turner, Nigel Payne, Mike Sewell, Roger West, Garth Halanen, Roger Turnbull, Gavin Dickson, Mike(?) Campbell, Peter(?)Williams, Geoff(?) Pilkington, Chris Lofty, Colin Balderson, John Bell, Dennis Dick, John Cole, Norrie Leslie, Graham(?) Rathbone, Gareth George & Geoff Bromley.
Apologies to the four guys whose names I forget.

Sebe (ColinB) (Thumb)

Ron Stringer
3rd December 2007, 18:16
'Senior Moments' are catching up, but here are some of the the names from October 1962 on the trip to US / Aussie / Continent & UK:

Sebe,

I was the R/O on that trip. Do you remember the names of any of the officers? Having been on the ship since 1961, I left her Liverpool, April 1963 at the end of that round-the-world voyage. Can't for the life of me remember anyone except Capt Wortley and Terry Lyons the Extra Chief Officer. Can you add any more?

Sebe
3rd December 2007, 18:54
Hi Ron,

I think the Second Mate was Bloore, the Junior Second Mate was Keith Beverley, who went on to Mobil and was with Noble Denton in US recently. I believe the first trip Third Mate was Brown, but may be mistaken.
Not sure about the Mate, but I recollect a story that he suffered 'mal de mer' on sailing from the first port on every trip, even it the locks, but was fine thereafter.

Sebe

Ron Stringer
4th December 2007, 19:55
Thanks for that Sebe. Can remember Keith Beverley and the Scotsman Browne but no memory of others. We had a Yorkshire junior second mate called Fletcher on one trip, and a Scots Chief Officer Hutcheon. Which trip that was, I can't remember. The chippy and the QMs were good guys there but names are lost to me.

At some point I must steel myself to spend some money and get the crew lists from the archives of the University of Newfoundland.

Sebe
4th December 2007, 20:48
Ron - Now that you mention it, the Mate was Hutcheon.
Chippie was John McLoed from the Shetlands. Glenn Waage was the Deck Bosun, Paddy Langhan was Quartermaster and Jim Brightly, ex HMS Exeter @ Battle of River Plate, was Instructional Bosun. Glenn has now crossed the bar, and I later sailed with Jim Brightly, Quartermaster, on the City of Auckland on my first trip as Third Mate.

Sebe

Gareth312
2nd January 2008, 20:48
Hi - I think I remember you, it's a long time ago! I certainly remember Captain Worterly RNR! Do yo remember PO Brightley?

Gareth

Gareth312
2nd January 2008, 20:51
Yes please - forward any pics - Gareth George

Sebe
2nd January 2008, 23:11
Hi Gareth - look up your original post CITY OF LUCKNOW CADET SHIP - there are lots of names you may remember

ColinB (Thumb)

Ron Stringer
3rd January 2008, 15:02
Please ignore the title of this thread, it was my first posting and It should have read "Training Ship City of Lucknow" but I put my name in the wrong box and could find no way of changing the title. The 'Edit' facility only works on the text, not the heading.

The reason for my initial post (#1 of this thread) was to try and persuade some former Ellerman navigating apprentices (who had sailed on the City of Lucknow) to contribute to the Rakaia website of Red Ensign training ships. After my request, the owner of that site created a section for the ship (he had previously been unaware that JRE had even had a training facility) and, later, Terry Lyons contributed the following piece:

Built by William Denny and Brothers Limited, Dumbarton, City of Lucknow was launched in November 1945 and, after fitting out, was delivered to the Ellerman Hall Line in May 1946. Designed to be a general cargo vessel of 9,961 gross tons (5,954 net) with a length overall of 475 feet, she had accommodation on the promenade deck for 12 passengers, and her single screw was driven by Parsons turbines of 880 nominal horsepower.

In 1958 City of Lucknow was transferred to Ellerman and Bucknall, and her passenger accommodation was converted to house a total of 25 cadets, an Instructional Chief Officer and a Schoolroom. City of Lucknow had four hatches forward of the bridge and two aft of it, and, although the cadets did not entirely replace the normal complement of Indian deck crew, they were responsible to the Bosun for all the deck work forward of the bridge. Two Quartermasters provided instruction in seamanship, and the cadets manned the fo’castle and the accommodation ladder when entering and leaving port. With a Master in the Royal Naval Reserve and a Bosun who had served in the Royal Navy, the cadets were expected to perform their duties and routines in a most efficient and disciplined manner.

The cadets were divided into 3 sections – Junior, Intermediate and Senior – and normally spent 3 or 4 voyages on City of Lucknow, before transferring to other vessels in the Ellerman fleet. Whilst in this role, City of Lucknow usually operated between the UK, USA and Australia with voyage lengths of less than 6 months duration.

In 1963, City of Lucknow was sold, and cadet training on this scale within the Ellerman Lines fleet was discontinued.

At the end of the piece, (the only contribution so far) the site owner restated his invitation:

Further information on this Company and its cadet training operation would be most welcome.

You former JRE apprentices must have some stories to tell about your time aboard. Some of you have posted photos on the SN site. I feel it sad that there might be no single record of the times (both happy and less so) that were spent by those young guys on the City of Lucknow, at a formative stage of their lives. If you read about the similar vessels operated by NZS/Federal and Elder Dempsters, you can see that apprentices' lives and experiences there were very similar to your own. But yours remain unknown to a wider audience.

I hope that someone can come forward and add to the CofL section. Surely you don't want Chief Officer Lyons to be the only person known to have served aboard the vessel?

You can see the existing entry, and post more information and pictures here:

http://www.rakaia.co.uk/ellerman.html

K urgess
3rd January 2008, 15:34
There you are Ron.
I finally got it right and managed to change the thread title for you.
Sorry about the delay.
Some things have to be re-learned every time.[=P]
Salaams
Kris

Ron Stringer
3rd January 2008, 17:44
Many thanks for that Kris.

You shouldn't apologise - it was my cock-up and I just didn't know how to fix it. At the time I pushed the 'Submit' button instead of the 'Preview' button, I didn't appreciate that thereafter only Moderators or Administrators could modify the title. It took only a few minutes for that to become clear to me but it was too late!

Thanks again.

pastyman
15th January 2008, 09:28
Hi. I served on the Lucknow from 1961 to 63. and with Ellermans until 1968. I have just found this site being relatively new to this *&^%$£*&^% computer. I did find a thread by someone enquiring about any other shipmates, Cant seem to find my way back to it. I was amazed to see that someone else had put down a load of names who I could immediately identify so am looking forward to hearing about them. I too have some old black and white photos which I will try to include.
My voyages were firstly to India, via the Cape ( the canal was closed at that time, East Pakistan(Chalna) then back.
Then to East Africa, (twice ) then to the States , trough Panama to Oz and back via suez calling at Genoa. I will have to look up the rest( memory is not what it was
sailed on the Pretoria, New York, Khartoum, eastbourne and St Albans before going ashore.

Ron, Are you sure about Hutch, Terry Lyons was the training officer when I joined and Hutch was the 1st Mate, I also thought the old man was "God"

In case you dont remember me, I was that lowest form of marine life that let go of the end of the spring on the foredeck whilst others were putting it down No 1 hold on a dark miserable night being towed out of the Birkenhead, west float on my first trip. boys those other guys could duck quickly and a smack from Jim Arbethnot taught me not to let it go again.:sweat:

pastyman
15th January 2008, 10:15
Sebe, What a memory!! I think you got them all . I am the Titus, so named by my good mate Rog Turnbull ( who I would dearly love to hear from). one of the only ones I am dificulty putting a face to is you , I will have to get the old pics out. Ive only just found this site and am looking forward to having a few virtual pints(on Me) and a trip down nostalgia lane
I joined the Lucknow in 1961 prior to a trip to India and East Pakistan via the Cape. (Can anyone remember that cricket match in Khulna. We lost because they got us well and truly plastered at lunch, The Old man was not pleased as they poured us off "Dolpipi", the agents launch)
Wonderful days, good shipmates and a time of life never forgotten
Some things that stand out in the memory.
The sight of Terry Lyons in his towel having a beer on deck, Put me off being ahomosexual for life.
Pete Williams, Waiting for the Elephants to arrive in Mombasa.
Rog Turnbull Complete idiot sliding past me on his Lambretta
" Bazil " Rathbone, seasick all the way to America( was very rough though
Westie, little scouser.
Who was the vicars son who would not utter a swear word no matter how we tried.
Ginger, fell asleep on deck crossing the Pacific, worst case of sunburn Ive ever seen
A Guy called Ian Maplethorpe who must have the record for the worst case of seasickness ever. even in the Suez canal. He only did the one trip.
The bosun who introduced us to his neice and her friend in New York
Keith Beverly, chubby bugger with a beard. great guy
Hutch, the mate with the coldest blue eyes, Notable for his "Job and Finish" promises not fullfiilled.
The Decola and our only two records, The Four Seasons singing Cherry baby and the beatles singing Love me do.

I will leave it like that
, look forward to hearing from you all and to find out where you are and what you are up to.
Im now in Falmouth by the way.
All the best Titus

Ron Stringer
15th January 2008, 12:58
[QUOTE=pastyman;177963]
Ron, Are you sure about Hutch, Terry Lyons was the training officer when I joined and Hutch was the 1st Mate, I also thought the old man was "God"

Hi Tony,

Lovely to hear from someone that was on the same voyages as me aboard the 'Lucknow'. It wasn't me that referred to Ch Officer Hutcheon as the training officer, it was another member here, Sebe (and he posted it on a different thread).

At present there are two very similar threads running on the site and so I have sent a PM to one of the moderators to ask if the threads can be merged, so that we don't lose anything or get too confused (all too easy in my case).

Unfortunately we junior officers weren't included in the shoreside jollies that were organised for the apprentices, so we could only hang over the rails in Chalna and watch you hear off up-river to the delights of Khulna. Similarly we weren't included in the garden parties or dances arranged elsewhere, but then we were able to organise our own 'social events' aboard ship, from which good-looking apprentices were excluded.

Do enjoy the site, do post all the photos and reminiscences that you have and let us all share in the memories.

Good luck

K urgess
15th January 2008, 13:20
I have merged these two threads so that duplication of information can be avoided.

Ron Stringer
15th January 2008, 16:58
Many thanks for your help, Kris. Now all the posts are on one thread and perhaps we can begin to see who is who and which voyages we were on.

One of the things that surprised me after joining this site in 2005, and starting to do a little digging into the histories of the ships on which I sailed, was how brief the life of the 'City of Lucknow' had been as an apprentice training ship. It was a shock to me that she had been sold out of the fleet in 1963, just after I had left her to go to Shell Tankers; I thought that she would go on for years.

Even more surprising was the fact that she didn't begin her training role until 1958 - when I joined her in 1961 I thought that she had been doing that job for years. So she only served for a little over 5 years and those of you that did a couple of years on her enjoyed a large part of her career. Brief though it was, I think that it is worth remembering and hope that some of you ex-apprentices will submit some of your photos and stories of the goings-on (aboard and ashore) whilst serviing on her.

Keith Beverley was from Hull but I can't remember where the earlier Yorkshireman Fletcher came from. We also had a South African, Ellerman ex-apprentice, as Fourth Mate during one S. African trip, John Netterburg, who was from the Cape. A former schoolmate of his told me that John died a couple of years ago in the USA where he had gone to live.

We had a great crowd of engineers during my time, but they didn't have too much involvement with the apprentices - there were no engineering apprentices.

Looking forward to more postings about those times.

Fergus 62
15th January 2008, 22:01
Pastyman
I see in your first message you mentioned Jim Arbuthnot. I sailed with Ellermans 1962/68 but never on the Lucknow. Sailked on Londo,Melbourne,Glasgow,Winchester Karichi and Bedford. I grew up in Belfast and was good friends with Jims brother Kenny. Jim was older and went to sea before I did. I knew he was on the Lucknow but our paths never crossed and I lost all knowledge of his whereabouts. His brother immigrated to NZ and I lost touch with the family. Do you have any idea where Jim ended up

Regards

Fergus 62

pilot
16th January 2008, 07:52
John Cole joined Mobil along with Keith Beverly. John retired early on health grounds in the late '70s. Whilst Master on "Matco Thames". Keith Beverely was Master on "Matco Avon" around this time.
On retirement John ran a charter boat out of Whitby for a while.
John passed away a good few years ago now I'm afraid.
Rgds.

pastyman
16th January 2008, 22:27
Ron, Thanks for the reply. I gather from what you say that you were one of the officers, Perhapse a photo would help me remember. I dug out a few pics today, afraid they are not in the best condition especially as I developed and printed them myself on the Lucknow. I made the mistake of expressing an interest in photography and was immediately made official film developer. There was a cabin set up as a printing room. I remember winding the film onto a spool thingy inside a container into which I poured some chemical then counted to 100 before fixing it .Printing was a hit and miss affair especially when at sea, couldnt have done it on a motor ship though.
I do remember John Netterberg. I had lived in SA for 16 years anbd so we had a bit in common. Fraid I have no idea where he went. All I cn remember was he rolled the thinnest fags I have ever seen, at the most a single strand of tobacco to a roll. I also frightened the life out of him(and me) when he jokingly suggested that I should polish the brass on the outside of the bridge wing, I didnt know he was joking(first tripper) and climbed out . surprising how you can hang onto a rivet head..
I was sorry to hear about John Cole, Nice lad. I was looking at some pics today on the beach in Oz with both him and Keith Beverley on them.
One thing, can people put their proper names on here as it difficule to know who you are. Tony Turner

pastyman
16th January 2008, 22:32
Pastyman
I see in your first message you mentioned Jim Arbuthnot. I sailed with Ellermans 1962/68 but never on the Lucknow. Sailked on Londo,Melbourne,Glasgow,Winchester Karichi and Bedford. I grew up in Belfast and was good friends with Jims brother Kenny. Jim was older and went to sea before I did. I knew he was on the Lucknow but our paths never crossed and I lost all knowledge of his whereabouts. His brother immigrated to NZ and I lost touch with the family. Do you have any idea where Jim ended up

Regards

Fergus 62

Fergus.. Sorry, I lost contact with him after he left the Lucknow.. He was the Cadet Captain when I joined . held him in awe as he seemed to know what to do when most of the rest of us had no idea.

pastyman
17th January 2008, 17:02
Hi again, Just a few photos , see how many you can put names to. Some have already been mentioned. Sorry about the quality but some I printed myself on the Lucknow. I have others and will post them soon as well.
Tony ( Titus)

Ron Stringer
17th January 2008, 17:49
Ron, Thanks for the reply. I gather from what you say that you were one of the officers, Perhapse a photo would help me remember.

Tony,

If you click on my name at the top of any of my postings, you will see a drop-down listing headed by 'View this Member's Profile'. Click on that and you will see a photo of me on the monkey island of the 'C of L' in Mombasa, off the new quayside they were building at that time.

We all used to pull John's leg about his anaemic roll-ups; he was a great guy, an incurable practical joker and I was very disappointed when last year, after eventually finding someone that knew of his whereabouts, I found out that he had died only a short time before. I traced him through the 'old boys' association at the Botha, but too late.

On one trip I found a huge mole cricket (well about 3-inches long) that had flown in through the radio room porthole. I covered it with the log book until I could find something to collect it in, but it just walked off with the logbook on its back. It was a ferocious-looking thing with huge thick legs, designed for digging in hard, sun-baked soil and decorated with scary spines in various places. Having found a box and captured the beast, I put it in John's tobacco tin while he was on the 4 -8 watch with the mate. It was one of those tins in which you bought cigarette tobacco rom the bond, like a condensed milk can with a top that lifted off after you had rotated it to cut through the tinfoil covering. (I can't remember the name of the brand).

John used to like to lean his chair back onto 2 legs, putting his feet up onto the wash basin in his cabin. Having tipped some of the other guys off, we gathered in his cabin for a beer when he came off watch. Sure to type, with a beer balanced in his lap and the chair tilted back to the balance point, he reached for his Rizlas and tobacco tin. Yarning away, and without looking at the tin, he removed the lid and delved inside. A look of total horror flashed across his face as his fingers came into contact with the struggling beast trying to get to the light. There was a loud howl, the can was flung up against the deckhead, the chair tipped backwards as John was pitched to the deck and he and the cabin were covered in tobacco and beer. We fled before he could recover - he was not only big but very powerful.

When I left the 'Lucknow' in April 1963, there was not even a rumour that she was to be sold out of the fleet in August '63. I never ran across anyone from my time on her - perhaps that was not too surprising since I sailed mainly on tankers thereafter until I wet to work ashore for Marconi's. Shame I never came across Keith Beverley though as we did lots of trials of new communications products on both the 'Matco Avon' and the 'Matco Thames'. Running from Coryton out to the North Sea terminals, they were both close to our office and development labs in Chelmsford and frequently available (every few days) for de-briefs on equipment performance. I was regularly aboard both the vessels over a period of several years during the 1970s and early '80s.

pastyman
17th January 2008, 20:21
Ron, This could turn into a real marathon of" yarning" as you put it.Since Gareth started with the enquiry about the rtw trip in 62, I will tell you my memories and photos of it.
We sailed from Glasgow on 24/10/62 with about 500 tons of stone ballast and about seven new cadets who had never been to sea before. I was by now an "old hand" having just over a year under my belt. I knew what Smoko's were and could yell " kaberda nichi". We sailed round the southern end of Ireland heading for Newport News in the USA and ran into probably the worst storm I ever encountered. Force 11/12. most of the new cadets were sick but none worse than one called Rathbone, I remember feeding him bits of dry toast through clenched teeth(his, not mine) Others lined up outside the saloon to gulp down what they could before diving to the lee rail to get rid of it. We eventually got to the other side and visted Philadelphia, and,New York. Quite an experience. Glen Wagge introduced a couple of us to his niece and a friend to take to a high school dance, I made a bit of a dive at the friend who was not a bad looker but after a bit of a snog in a park she asked if we would have to get married cos she might have a baby, I was glad to get on the way to OZ. Remember being buzzed by the US Navy all the way through the straights of Florida, The Cuban Crisis was going on and we didnt seem to know much about it. Panama was an amazing experience but the trip across the Pacific was long and hot. There was a scots lad " Ginger" who fell asleep on deck and had the worst sunburn Ive ever seen. Covered in calomine from head to toe and still made to work. Arrived in Gladstone, what an experience. Corrugated iron pub where the beer was only sold in sherry glasses, you could but a jug though as long as you drank it from the glass.
We did Newcastle. great place. Some photos.
We had Christmas there too I believe.
Didnt like Brisbane much but loved Sidney.. The Sound Lounge, Adam's Jazz Travern, even tried Montgomerys but you had to keep your back to the bar there.
Melbourne and Adelaide were good then on to Port Piri. The Old Man stopped the ship and put about six of us into the Whaler with a crate of beer, some sandwiches, a chart and a compass and said that he would expext us in port later. Couldnt even see the land which is very low lying. The beer and sarnies were gone pretty soon and there was no wind to sail, we rowed for a bit but were getting nowhere so we hailed a passing fishing boat and got a tow to the start of the river. (We didnt want the old man to think we had had help, We then started to sail with a very slight wind up the river tacking back and to, Didnt see the dirty great tanker comming down until it was to late and rammed it amidships in full view of the old man. Fortunately the pilot of the tanker stopped the engine just as we got near to the prop which we could see clearly thrashing ever closer. Got a bit of a bollicking as I recall.
Port Piri was a dump with a railway line running down the middle of the main street, Saturday night was Cowboy night and everyone dressed as cowboys and went to the local corrugated iron cinema. Think we loaded lead there
Back up the coast to Sidney where we arranged to have a dance. The boat deck was all decorated and we put on our best No 10's ( or was it 12's) and entertained the daughters and friends of the agents. I met a very nice young lady who invited me to lunch with her parents who then showed me the sights of Sidney and sent me off with a huge box of goodies, Wonderful.
Sailed back round the north end of OZ and headed back to Suez then to Genoa for bunkers. After six weeks or so we were desperate and had one wild night ashore . I woke up stretched accross a railway line just short of the gangway, Never touched Chianti after that. After Genoa the Channels began to set in but I cant remember which port we went to, I assume it was London. That was 27/3/63. I did one more voyage in her but for the life of me cant remember whether it was to South or East africa, short trip, 2 months 23 days so it could have been either
Wonderful times with good and bad times.
Smokoes with the toast swimming in butter
putting you "dear John" on the notice board for all to read
standing watch on the fo'csle seeing the dolphons and flying fish
working extra hard for a job and finish and not getting it
lying on your bunk with the ventilator turner full on and feeling the sweat trickle off your chest.
Great cameraderie
45 years, a lifetime ago and yet it is so fresh in the memory

Hope I hav'nt bored you too much enjoy the pics

pastyman
17th January 2008, 20:24
Some more pics of "Sports Day"

Ron Stringer
18th January 2008, 00:28
Hi Pastyman.

Liked the photos, recognised lots of faces but couldn't put a name to any! But I can do that with people I met last week, so nothing surprising there.

The trip from Glasgow to Philadelphie took 11 days because Capt Wortley was afraid that we might run into a low (remnants of a hurricane) that was travelling across the Grand Banks from the USA. All the mates were very critical of his 'prudence'. On that trip we went to Newark, not NY, where it was well below 0 degrees Celsius and snow-covered, but several of us took the bus into the Big Apple and amongst everything else, enjoyed the delights of the Merchant Navy Officers club. Went to a dance there and a few nights later entertained the young ladies from there back on the ship. Great time was had by all.

Amongst the cargo loaded in the USA for Oz were pop records including the latest hit in the USA by the Four Seasons (think it was 'Big Girls Don't Cry'). About 2 weeks after we arrived in Oz it went into the hit parade there. There were also a lot of sweets which seemed to find their way around the ship - almost every cabin had a bowl of them. I remember the P2V Neptune's buzzing us on our way down to Panama and the regular interrogations on the radio from the USCG radio stations when passing OBS reports. This was in spite of our AMVER reports. We did the Panama Canal transit on 02 December 1962.

On the Aussie Coast we did a little more than the ports you mentioned. We arrived in Gladstone on the 23rd Dec 1962. On Christmas Day, the Old Man allowed a couple of the lifeboats to be used for a trip to one of the islands off Gladstone where the available officers and selected apprentices had a beach party with adequate supplies of booze. I got horribly sunburned that day (the last time I let that happen to me - we redheads burn easily).

We left Gladstone on 27 Dec for Brisbane and thereafter the itinerary was:

28/29 Brisbane
Dec 31 /Jan 04 Sydney (Pyrmont). Spent NewYear's Eve ashore and saw in the New Year at King's Cross getting well oiled.
08/11 Melbourne
13/16 Adelaide
17/22 Port Pirie
25/28 Newcastle NSW
Jan 29 /Feb 03 Sydney
05/14 Brisbane
March 05 Aden for Bunkers
09/10 Suez transit
15/16 Genoa discharging wool and other cargo
23/25 Dunkirk
26/28 Hull
28/29 Antwerp
Mar 30/Apr 02 Bremen
Apr 05 Liverpool where I signed off.

Great trip, great memories.

dib
18th January 2008, 21:05
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/510/thumbs/City_of_Lucknow2.jpgI was on the City of Lucknow in the early 60's.
I'm terrible at remembering names but I do have some old photos of Shipmates that I will dig out and post. Some names I do remember are John Cole , Norrie Leslie and the infamous Bosun Brightly!
Chris Lofty
Hi there

Did two MANZ runs in the late 50's. Were either Paddy or Mac (2 QM's) on board then?

Dib

Ron Stringer
18th January 2008, 21:25
On that visit (at the end of December 1962) to Newcastle, NSW to load wool for various European ports, we had an 'experience' ashore involving the Old Man.

He was a small man (about 5' 4") with an exaggerated sense of his own importance in the world. As the Master of Ellerman Lines' training ship 'City of Lucknow' he behaved as if he knew all there was to know about all aspects of merchant shipping. As a Yorkshireman, he knew that the rest of the world was occupied by lesser breeds of man.

In Newcastle, NSW, he requested the ship's agent to provide a self-drive hire car for his convenience. One afternoon, as I was walking through the docks with the 2nd Mate, we were overtaken by the Capt driving the hire car, accompanied by the ship's doctor. The car stopped and we were invited to accept a lift into town. It was mid-summer and we were grateful to avoid the long trek under a hot sun, so accepted with alacrity and got into the back seats. He drove with a flourish and was somewhat disdainful of the rights of other road users. The 2nd Mate and I were soon exchanging glances at each near miss and I was trying to work out how soon we would be able to claim that we had reached our destination, and ask the Old Man to drop us off.

We entered the town and began to move through fairly busy streets. Turns left and right were made with full confidence and we believed that he knew just where he was going. As it was the first time that either of us in the back seats had been to Newcastle, we hadn't a clue where we were. Suddenly a very large Australian policeman appeared in front of the car holding up his arm to signal us to stop. Stop we did and through the open window our Captain asked if he could help the officer in anyway. First of course (in true RNR fashion) the formalities had to be observed.

'Officer, I am Captain Bernard Theodore Wortley, RNR, Master of the training ship 'City of Lucknow' on urgent ship's business. I'd like you to meet my Surgeon, my Chief Communications Officer (me, the Sparks) and,' pointing to the 2nd Mate besides me, 'this is my Navigating Officer.' The policeman looked singularly unimpressed and said, 'I don't care if he is Christopher-bloody-Columbus, you can't go the wrong way down a one-way street. Now turn around and get the hell out of here.'

And we did.

pastyman
20th January 2008, 22:06
Ron,
Ive looked at your profile and yes I do remember you, You must have done pretty much the same trips as me. Your tale about the old man is ammusing though as I said earlier, he was God( seems he thought so too) We had more to do with Terry Lyons, Must send him a note. Must be getting on a bit now. At the time I can remember calling him all sorts of names but after serving thirty years in the Police nowhere near water, I moved to Cornwall , bought myself a small yacht and took up sailing, Ive made several trips to France, the isles of Scilly and the Channel Isles, I have been amazed at how much I have remembered of what he taught us, so I really have to say thanks.
Can you remember the name of the purser, a little Scot if I remember right. He is on the pic of cadets and officers on the boat deck I posted. That picture must have been taken before the RTW trip as the likes of gareth George and others are not there.
I loved Mombasa, Rog Turnbull had lived in Uganda and spoke fluent Swahili, boy did we have some fun.Remember pinching a Coke sign about 6'X12' from a wall at the Fontanella , carrying it back to the ship to wrap around the funnell the bottling out and pitching it over the side.
Anyway ,it is nice to have this site, who knows, in time some of the others may find it and get in touch.
I will get onto the Raikaia ( is that how you spell it) and post a reply to Terry's thread.tony

Fergus 62
21st January 2008, 00:23
Pastyman
As I said before, I never sailed on the Lucknow but having been a JRE apprentice and 3/o I have thoroughly this thread and it has clearly brought back the atmosphere of those great years.
Although I missed the Lucknow I had the pleasure of "Bernard Theodore" on the City Of Glasgow which he commanded on its maiden voyage to India and then on the Far East run. Be assured he retained all the mannerisms referred to in this thread.
I see to mentioned Denis Dick. Was his father Captain of one of the Big Four (not sure which one). If so I did my Second Mates with him at Belfast 1966. I cant remember the christian name but think it my be him

Rgds
Fergus 62 - Ronnie McClune

Ron Stringer
21st January 2008, 08:05
I will get onto the Raikaia ( is that how you spell it) and post a reply to Terry's thread.tony

The site you want is http://www.rakaia.co.uk/

Have a look at some of the photos and anecdotes from other companies' apprentices and cadets and you will see the sort of thing that you could probably provide about the 'City of Lucknow'.

pastyman
21st January 2008, 21:49
Fergus. Gareth George has posted here. As I recall his dad was skipper of one of the big four but Im not sure either which one. I left the Lucknow in 63 and joined the city of Pretoria. I think the old man was a Capt Broadbent. I think the mate was a man called Haines. I did a bit of coasting on the Khartoum and the New york then took my second mates and joined the Eastbourne on the SA run. Ian Smith was Jnr sec and the 2nd mate was Keith ........ from Middlesborough. Joined the St Albans with Capt Powell and did a couple of trips to the far east. for the life of me I cant remember the others. I think the mate was Gray. Im sure there will be many that we will both have met and yes they were great days, foreign ports that didnt all look the same. we had time to explore and even make friends. days or even weeks at anchor waiting for a berth. The ships had a style and grace not seen today in the "barges" loaded to the bridge and with sterns that have been hacked off. Im old enough now to be a grumpy old git. Tony

pastyman
21st January 2008, 21:54
The site you want is http://www.rakaia.co.uk/

Have a look at some of the photos and anecdotes from other companies' apprentices and cadets and you will see the sort of thing that you could probably provide about the 'City of Lucknow'.

Ron, thanks for that, I will get something together for that site but it may have to wait for a week or so. For my sins I do the moorings for the restronguet sailing club and there is a bit of organising to do. Ive sent an email to terry Lyons and also gareth george so it will be interesting to see if they respond. Tony

Fergus 62
21st January 2008, 23:22
Tony

If my memory is still functioning then I sailed with Capt Broadbent on the City of Glasgow 1966. If its the same man, the mate you refer to -Haines- was master on the City of Bedford 1966/7 where I did my first trip as 3/O. It was his first trip as Master and also the mate, 2/O and myself were all on first voyages in those positions. I can remember thinking this is great, I've reached some sort of dizzy heights only to find we had no apprectices and life just continued as before. Capt Haines then moved to the City of St.Albans and was master on it when it was involved in the shelling incident coming out of Calcutta in the early 70s.
Yes, there was time then to see places that were totally unknown to folk at home, explore in safety, make friends and generally feel privilaged to have done so. Now most have changed names, changed skylines and joined the tourist and cruise ship itineries.
cheers

Ronnie

Mike Bartlett
10th February 2008, 22:49
G'day all who sailed on the City of Lucknow,

I was aboard for her first trip as a training ship from March to August 1959 and have the complete voyage log, list of officers and apprentices plus an album of B&W photos.

Regards,

Mike Bartlett.
Ellerman & Bucknall 1957-1961

K urgess
10th February 2008, 22:52
Welcome aboard, Mike.
Looking forward to seeing your information and pictures when you can manage it.
Enjoy the trip.

dib
14th February 2008, 20:07
Hi Mike

I was on the Lucknow around 1959. Spink was the cadet captain, I can't remember his first name, I think he had a nervous breakdown and left the sea after my first trip on her. Paddy and Mac the QM's. Captain Wortley, Hutch and bosn Brightly were all on board then. I joined her at Ellesmere Port and did two MANZ line trips. Havn't come across anyone I knew in the various threads.
Look forward to your reply.
Dib

dib
1st April 2008, 21:57
Hi Mike. Did you only do the one trip. I think I was on the second and third and I don't rememnber your name unfortunately.
Neil Spink was the cadet captain on one trip.
Dib

woodinsight
26th January 2014, 10:35
G'day all who sailed on the City of Lucknow,

I was aboard for her first trip as a training ship from March to August 1959 and have the complete voyage log, list of officers and apprentices plus an album of B&W photos.

Regards,

Mike Bartlett.

Hi Mike, Just came across this website and was pleased to see at least one of the 'original' crew is still around! I was also aboard on the first voyage in 1959 and also have many photos (somewhere) of that time. I shared a cabin with Cliff Bunt (from Cornwall?) and used to take many photos and print/enlarge them on board. So many memories!
I know you posted several years ago but hopefully you'll come across this post. In the meantime I'll try to dig out all the photos (in store I think) and post them in due course.

All the best,
Malcolm Wood