bamenda palm collision

zealandic
27th September 2007, 11:44
i was on the newer bamenda palm in dec 1980 we were on our way to falmouth from liverpool to pick up a couple of pilot cutters for deck cargo..it was very windy that night as we approached falmouth.. i was relieved on the wheel..went down to the messroom to get a cuppa..as i put my head in the fridge the ship started shaking...the bell went off... i got back to the bridge pronto..and there we were ..foc'sle straight into one of them factory ships..i think she was polish..needless to say there was mayhem on the bridge...we ended up in drydock whilst they patched up the bow damage...nothing as bad as the elmina's though...loaded the cutters and sailed on down to the coast..they put a new bow section on between trips and she was as good as new.. anyone remember this incident...would be nice if someone had some pics aswell cheers z...

cacique
27th September 2007, 23:53
Hi Zealandic, the "Bamenda Palm" collision in Falmouth happened on my trip off but I heard tales of it from the chippie George Green, also believe that Palmoil Chop (see Capt. Kopec thread)was the Chief Officer. Keep Well. Kind Regards. David Wilson.

mattyr
23rd October 2007, 14:55
[Qi was on the bamemba palm at the time of the collison, i was the 3rd engineer and on watch at the time it was a bit of a shock when t happened. sorry no longer have any pics. mattyrUOTE=zealandic;153719]i was on the newer bamenda palm in dec 1980 we were on our way to falmouth from liverpool to pick up a couple of pilot cutters for deck cargo..it was very windy that night as we approached falmouth.. i was relieved on the wheel..went down to the messroom to get a cuppa..as i put my head in the fridge the ship started shaking...the bell went off... i got back to the bridge pronto..and there we were ..foc'sle straight into one of them factory ships..i think she was polish..needless to say there was mayhem on the bridge...we ended up in drydock whilst they patched up the bow damage...nothing as bad as the elmina's though...loaded the cutters and sailed on down to the coast..they put a new bow section on between trips and she was as good as new.. anyone remember this incident...would be nice if someone had some pics aswell cheers z...[/QUOTE]

palmoil chop
13th November 2007, 19:30
I've posted a contribution to this thread already but I composed it off-line and it doesn't seem to have worked. So here goes with a second attempt, composed on-line. I remember the collision well. 'Gentleman' George Green and I were on the focsle trying to keep out of the worst of a hooligan gale when George drew my attention to the fact that we were about to punch a fish factory ship. So we made a synchronised panic evacuation using both ladders down to the foredeck.
We'd only gone into Falmouth to load a small harbour tug on deck and had come round from Liverpool in record time. Away like a robber's dog, as George Holeyman, the Master, was fond of saying because she was a fast ship. It's just a pity that we didn't arrive a bit later because it was just a gentle breeze in the harbour within hours. Never mind, nice to revisit Falmouth after nearly twenty years when I used to go there in the NZS.
I don't have any photographs, I'm afraid, but we were front page on the Sundays and got a mention on TV news, my wife was quite impressed. I didn't take a camera to sea, much to my later regret, but it would have been extremely bad taste for the Mate to be taking snaps of the hole that the Old Man had put in the bulbous bow.
The BAMENDA PALM was quite a party ship whilst in Apapa and jealous folk on other ships put it about that we'd only called in at Falmouth to replenish our barbecue charcoal stocks. Happy days !!

zealandic
14th November 2007, 09:23
hi palmoil i remember you well ..i had the sunday express paper, kept by a family member and had it for years, iv lost it since,, but i believe that it can be downloaded for a small fee...i also recall that the pilot was very shaky..when i got back to the bridge he was being scolded by the captain..i would love to know who actually got the blame..still... i had a good time in falmouth..z

mattyr
15th November 2007, 21:39
i was the 3eng at the time and in the engine room. didnt know what was happening until we got a triple ring astern so we knew whatever it was bad, then came the collision which threw us about abit. the c/e was kenny roberts, the 2/e was john phipps the 4/e was davy neil. that triple ring astern was the only one i ever got in my career just a bit scary.

Christopher Roberts
16th November 2007, 12:39
Hi Matty, I know the feeling it happen to me going alongside at Appa wharf - I think it was onthe Lobito Palm - I was on the controls and we were doing half ahead I'd just asked the junior to go topside to see where we where - in less than no time he came hurtling into the engine room shouting that we were about to crash - and we did - we had rammed the Elder Demster ship the Fyion? full on her stern!!!

The Saint
29th July 2008, 11:58
I remember the incident well. I was the 3rd mate. I had left the bridge around 2am.
It happened just before 4am. There was a Southerly Force 9 gale, and Carrick Roads (entrance to Falmouth is open to the South). The Carrick Roads anchorage was crowded with trawlers and fish factory ships sheltering from the storm.
The ship we hit was Romanian, and was struck midships on the starboard side. Interestingly, if we had hit her 10' further aft, then it would have been the fish hold, and she would have probably sunk; much further forward and there was accommodation.

The 'Old Man' was George Holeyman and Chief Officer was Bob Ellerson (?) - nice bloke from The Wirral, I think.

We made the front page of the Sunday Express (18 Dec 1980? I think), with the headline 'Drama at sea, as gales sweep coast'. I wish I had kept a copy of the paper.

Geoff

william dillon
29th July 2008, 20:44
i was the 3eng at the time and in the engine room. didnt know what was happening until we got a triple ring astern so we knew whatever it was bad, then came the collision which threw us about abit. the c/e was kenny roberts, the 2/e was john phipps the 4/e was davy neil. that triple ring astern was the only one i ever got in my career just a bit scary.

Kenny Roberts was Ch/Eng. on Elmina Palm during the Dakar incident.(==D)

stan mayes
29th July 2008, 23:04
Geoff - the name of the Chief Officer was Bob Ellesmoor and as you say - he was a very nice bloke.
Stan