Crossed the Bar

Tom S
28th September 2007, 16:31
In to-days paper Captain Jack Shields formerly Cargo Superintendent for Ben Line in London died whilst on Holiday at Sea. he laterly worked for T Ward Ships Agents in Leith. A really nice guy
TomS

john fraser
28th September 2007, 18:50
In to-days paper Captain Jack Shields formerly Cargo Superintendent for Ben Line in London died whilst on Holiday at Sea. he laterly worked for T Ward Ships Agents in Leith. A really nice guy
TomS
Always remember Jack Shields coming on board for lunch in London.He stood out among some of the others and always polite and always a gentleman

ian keyl
29th September 2007, 00:43
Certainly stood out in a crowd and could always be seen in the early morning walking along the quay in his cream/beige rain coat. Much tidier than Colombo but always had time for a chat with everyone no matter what port on the UK coast .
I remember Jack when he was in No10 North Saint Davids st; and The old Salvessens office in Leith, a professional always on the phone giving advise mapping out vessels loadings around the European coast always determind to get the last bit of cargo on offer, on board the v/l.

I remember Jack and Archie Watters coming on board the Wyvis in late 1967 in the West India dock ,they both came directly to my cabin to advise me of my parents safety .When we had passed Libya Outward bound as per usual i would get sparks to send my folks in Bengazhi a cable wishing them well and Interflora for my mum. We ended up in the last convoy southbound and had just cleared Suez when it all started, so I was concerned about my folks. My parents had all the agents addresses and our dates so I always expected mail . No mail P/said,Suez S'pore HK and all the way home . The master knew this and sent a cable to Edinburgh and they invetigated as to where my parents were. Jack and Archie told me they were evacuated to Greece and were well and safe.
Jack always had time if he met the cadets out on deck to chat to them as to how they were getting on and if they liked it.
He will be sadley missed and his jokes.

I think the only Supt's still alive from the original Ben group ar Archie Watters (Edin), Big Dereck Hulme (Soton) ,Alec Johnston (Fife) Ted Travers (Fife), Peter Murphy (Leeds) Peter Williamson (London) . Not many .

Rgds Ian.

Tom S
29th September 2007, 10:44
Ian
What you have just written is what the Old Ben Line was all about,they looked after their staff well I have good personal experience of this and can recall many instances where they went out of their way to help the sea going staff.
It was people like Jack Shields who made it a good company to sail with. As you say he gave everybody the time of day. I dealt with him quite a lot when he worked for T Ward and he never ever changed he was the same Jack we knew in Ben Line
TomS