YOUNG & CO's LINE circa 1859

al1934
29th September 2007, 12:38
Following extract from front page ads in newspaper dated 3 February 1859 found in my old house:

FOR WELLINGTON DIRECT, AND CANTERBURY, NEW ZEALAND - FIRST SHIP.

Young and Co's line:
The magnificent full poop Clipper Ship MINERVA, A.1., 12 years, 1500 Tons. W.H. Merryman, Commander, loading in the East India Docks and will sail from Gravesend on the 14th February next. This fine ship has unusaully large Cabins for first-class passengers, lofty 'tween Decks' well ventilated by full sized ports, excellent accommodations for all classes of passengers at moderate rates and will carry an experienced surgeon.
For freight or passage apply to Young and Co., Ship and Insurance Brokers, New Zealand Colonists' Rooms, 61 Cornhill, London, E.C.

hawkey01
9th October 2007, 17:43
For some reason this one caught my attention and I thought I would see what I could find out about the ship. Unfortunately not too much but there is some info on the captain.
In 1858 he is Ch. Mate on the ship "Cornwall" of 580tons and his age is given as 34.
He again features when he takes command of the Minerva. Listed on 26th Feb 1863 as Master of Minerva and his age is given as 42. Somehow the maths do not add up! The Minerva is listed as being 829 tons. Depends on what tonnage they are using I suppose. Could not find anything else out about the shipping company nor the vessel.

Hawkey01

al1934
9th October 2007, 19:10
Thanks hawkey01,

It was a long time ago and the data has probably got a bit twisted with time.

I have a couple more on the front page of the old newspaper, which I will include later.

Best wishes,

Ken Berry
18th January 2011, 09:41
Hi
Just wondering if you had come across the S.S.Wooler as I had a relation on board when she foundered in 1899 off Ushant. He wasn't a member of the crew when she sailed from Barry Wales.Have no idea where he joinrd her. An information would be most appreciated.
Best Regards Ken B